Game Week: @CMU
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Game Week: @CMU
Frank wrote:

"Well, couldn't ask for much better than that. Rest up for CMU on Wednesday."

Kind of crazy thinking the start of the week (football wise) starts on Friday, not Sunday, but it is what it is.

One of the more obvious things about Thursday's game is that there were two 2 - 6 teams out there, but only one was really a 2 - 6 team.

EMU looked more like a 4 - 4 team or maybe 5 - 3.
11-03-2017 03:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronc33 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
RE: Game Week: @CMU
go beat CMU please.
11-03-2017 08:10 AM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

I Root For: EMU
A win on Wed night would give us back to back wins over Central for the first time since 2007-08.
11-03-2017 08:17 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-03-2017 08:17 AM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  A win on Wed night would give us back to back wins over Central for the first time since 2007-08.

And set us up for a possible bowl bid.

Remember, that last year it was necessary to select a few 5 - 7 teams. Saw an USA Today article today that things are similar but not identical to last year. 39 bowl games.

So winning 2 of 3 might be enough for us to make us eligible.

I believe the tie breaker among 5 - 7 teams is an academic measure, not conference membership, desirability, etc.

Just keep winning and see what happens...
(This post was last modified: 11-03-2017 08:32 AM by emu steve.)
11-03-2017 08:32 AM
Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

I think our defense will be the difference, especially if Morris has another up and down game. Western gave that game away, rather than central winning it (outside of the long pass - Willis did earn that one....)

If we can remain somewhat balanced on offense (run successfully when we want to), drop the targeting fouls, and execute on special teams we should be ok.

Hoping too for a CMU letdown after such a big win - I don't think their coach is very good about that kind of stuff.
11-03-2017 11:23 AM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

Good point, Huron Boy. Only 3 penalties for 30 yards all night against BSU, I believe. Below our average.

Hopefully that's a trend that continues next week.
11-03-2017 11:31 AM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

When we beat CMU, how is the Michigan MAC trophy winner determined?
11-03-2017 12:41 PM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

It remains with the prior year champion (WMU).
11-03-2017 12:54 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

Expect CMU to look for Conklin early and often. Get pressure on Morris and we'll be in good shape.

Also think we need to limit our defensive rotations a bit, as each game is a must-win from here on out. All too often, the big run and pass plays you see given up, are the result of backup players rotating through the defense.

I understand depth is good, keeping guys fresh, eliminating injuries, etc...........but it's winning time now. Neathery and Creighton need to have their best guys on the field as much as possible. Rotate when necessary, especially the interior DLine, but other than that there is no need to save guys at this point in the season when these final games can be won or lost on 1,2,or 3 big plays.

Especially CMU this week, which has the best record of the remaining 3.

Just like basketball, when the tournament comes around, you shorten up the bench. Lose and you go home.
11-03-2017 05:30 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear EagleTough,
Yes, Central has a winning record, but other than the win against Ohio, they really have not beaten anyone of distinction. That's why I personally think we have a very good chance of beating them in Mt. Pleasant. Do I expect a blow-out? No. I just believe our defense is better than theirs, and if we can get our offense clicking like against Ball State, we should win. I will agree that Ball State was not a good football team, but after all of those close losses, we needed something like that.
11-05-2017 12:40 PM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

Over the last 4 games (since Army), we're averaging 152 yards per game rushing. Not amazing, but much better than earlier this year. Having that trend continue would be really useful for us down the stretch.

And another 0 INT game from Brogan would be GREAT too.
11-05-2017 12:54 PM
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

If the weather is fair, we win by two touchdowns. If the weather is rainy, muddy, and windy, it's anyone's game....
11-05-2017 02:05 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(11-05-2017 12:54 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Over the last 4 games (since Army), we're averaging 152 yards per game rushing. Not amazing, but much better than earlier this year. Having that trend continue would be really useful for us down the stretch.

The question is how much is the OL and how much is Eriksen?
11-05-2017 02:20 PM
Huron Boy Offline
2nd String

(11-05-2017 02:20 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(11-05-2017 12:54 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Over the last 4 games (since Army), we're averaging 152 yards per game rushing. Not amazing, but much better than earlier this year. Having that trend continue would be really useful for us down the stretch.

The question is how much is the OL and how much is Eriksen?

I have to think 50/50 - Ian is clearly the #1 back right now, and I'm assuming the that the O-Line is finally getting some good experience and learning from prior games.
11-05-2017 02:52 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(11-05-2017 12:40 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EagleTough,
Yes, Central has a winning record, but other than the win against Ohio, they really have not beaten anyone of distinction. That's why I personally think we have a very good chance of beating them in Mt. Pleasant. Do I expect a blow-out? No. I just believe our defense is better than theirs, and if we can get our offense clicking like against Ball State, we should win. I will agree that Ball State was not a good football team, but after all of those close losses, we needed something like that.

They just beat WMU, who we lost to as well. I agree, if Roback and the O plays well, we should get the win, even on the road. Assuming we don't get another punt blocked late in the 4th qtr., and/or miss 3 FG's. Our biggest struggles are red zone O, and 3rd down conversions. Improve in those 2 areas and we win out.

Nice to see Vann show a little burst and finally have some success as well. I would expect him to get more carries this week.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 08:20 PM by EagleTough.)
11-05-2017 08:13 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
What is deuey the wr status?
11-05-2017 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear emu79,
Aristilide played in the Ball State game, but I don't think the ball was ever thrown to him. I know he has been in the dog house this season, and that's too bad because he is a very good receiver.
11-05-2017 09:40 PM
EagleTough Offline
All American

(11-05-2017 09:40 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear emu79,
Aristilide played in the Ball State game, but I don't think the ball was ever thrown to him. I know he has been in the dog house this season, and that's too bad because he is a very good receiver.

Yeah, the coaches basically gave his job to Jaron Johnson for a myriad of reasons. Congrats to Johnson for stepping up and having a nice Senior year.

After the crazy block in the back game, it seems the coaches have relegated him to 5 or 6 plays a game as 'punishment', while also not completely giving up on him.

Have to believe Haygood has spent countless hours with him trying to discipline and motivate, and get him to live up to his enormous potential. So far he has struggled, but he'll have a huge opportunity next year to be the #1 receiver. Hopefully that will be enough to motivate him to have a great final 2 years. Him and Sexton are a nice 1-2 punch to build around. Daugherty can play as well. Would be nice to see Williams and/or Jean take a big step forward in their second seasons.

Looks like we still may need a Juco WR or 2
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2017 10:15 PM by EagleTough.)
11-05-2017 10:13 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(11-05-2017 12:40 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear EagleTough,

Your defense is definitely better than ours. While our offense is better than yours. This game really comes down to whether the gap between the two is big enough for either team to overcome. I expect a tight game and scoring probably in the 20's.
11-06-2017 10:36 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Stopping Shane Morris will be very difficult, we have to try to contain him.
11-06-2017 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.