UNT
USM
UAB
Marshall
FIU
MTSU
FAU [shows 2 commits]
ODU
Charlotte [9 commits, avg 0.56. doesn't appear to be recruiting FBS caliber kids]
UTEP
10-25-2017 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

WKUFan518 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
RE: Recruiting spotcheck
Wow FAU only has 2 commits? That is crazy......I think we are up to 20 I believe, even more than the norm for us as we usually have around 10-15 kids committed this time of year...
10-25-2017 12:01 PM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
(10-25-2017 11:56 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Just a spotcheck where recruiting is for 2018:

247Sports
WKU [new staff doing well]
UTSA [look out, back to back solid progress]
LaTech
USM
Rice
UNT
ODU
FIU
Marshall [always closes well]
UAB
MTSU
Charlotte
FAU [just 1 commit, Kiffin planning on being there next season?]
UTEP

Rivals
WKU
UTSA
Rice
LaTech
UNT
USM
UAB
Marshall
FIU
MTSU
FAU [shows 2 commits]
ODU
Charlotte [9 commits, avg 0.56. doesn't appear to be recruiting FBS caliber kids]
UTEP

We actually lost two commits (both ESPN300 variety) over the last several months. The second commit on Rivals is actually a goner as well.

Kiffin was asked about this and he had said that FAU did not have many scholarships to offer with all the transfers that had been brought in. I do not know if this is a reasonable answer or not.
10-25-2017 12:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
Don't forget signing day essentially moves up a month this year (to December 20) with the early signing period.
10-25-2017 01:27 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(10-25-2017 11:56 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Marshall [always closes well]

We only have 8 verbal's right now and haven't even went after the skill players yet. We've got 6 big ole boys for the OL and DL an Athlete and TE so far.

We've went heavy on OL and DL in the last 3 classes actually. I look for a lot of skill players to start to roll in though. Our OL and DL should be set for at least 2018 and 2019 and maybe 2020.
10-25-2017 01:34 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Rivals is essentially useless for ODU. We dont have a rivals site, so they only have 6 of our 12 commits listed.
10-25-2017 01:38 PM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
UTEP has 1 commit, an offensive lineman. He is probably wavering, especially if another offer comes along. No coach yet and a winless season means no commits until the next coach is on board. We still have not hired an AD, who will have as his/her first job, hiring the new FB coach.
10-25-2017 02:09 PM
owlcountry40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(10-25-2017 11:56 AM)va-eagle Wrote:  Just a spotcheck where recruiting is for 2018:

247Sports
LaTech
USM
Rice
UNT
ODU
FIU
UAB
MTSU
Charlotte
UTEP

Rivals
WKU
UTSA
Rice
LaTech
UNT
USM
UAB
Marshall
FIU
MTSU
FAU [shows 2 commits]
ODU
UTEP
OK let me tell what is happening before the dumb hot takes fly in.
It has already been said we do not have many scholarships maybe 15ish.
So Lane staff said they are not taking commits until December. Lane does want kids to commit here early so they can flip to the slightly better school late. FAU has offered many 2018-2019 kids in South Florida

I remember when we were 6th in the rankings 2 weeks before signing day we will be fine.
10-25-2017 02:32 PM
Digi368 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Runners

247Sports
LaTech
USM
Rice
UNT
ODU
FIU
UAB
MTSU
Charlotte
UTEP

Rivals
WKU
UTSA
Rice
LaTech
UNT
USM
UAB
Marshall
FIU
MTSU
FAU [shows 2 commits]
ODU
UTEP

Kinda expected for Frank Wilson who was a previous National Recruiter of Year winner at LSU. If we knew one thing about him prior to him joining UTSA it was that he was one of the best recruiters in the nation.
10-25-2017 02:45 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
Coaching matters .......

yes even more than recruiting rankings. Most of the time these kids are just bigger or stronger than the high school players they are playing against. Which isn't a bad thing. But what happens after you get into a system that fits your talents and there are coaches building you up....

matters more

So unless you are a Bama or one of those schools getting the very cream of the crop. I will take coaching and a staff that is recruiting to the system they want to play. Over a "star rating system". Yes, even if those rankings have my school #1

I've seen a lot of talented, strong, fast kids that just didn't have the heart or smarts to play college football. Huge step in the complexity of the game between high school and a good college program. Some kids get it and some don't...STAR rankings don't tell you which will and which wont
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 02:59 PM by WKUYG.)
10-25-2017 02:58 PM
Digi368 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Runners
(10-25-2017 02:58 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Coaching matters .......

yes even more than recruiting rankings. Most of the time these kids are just bigger or stronger than the high school players they are playing against. Which isn't a bad thing. But what happens after you get into a system that fits your talents and there are coaches building you up....

matters more

So unless you are a Bama or one of those schools getting the very cream of the crop. I will take coaching and a staff that is recruiting to the system they want to play. Over a "star rating system". Yes, even if those rankings have my school #1

I've seen a lot of talented, strong, fast kids that just didn't have the heart or smarts to play college football. Huge step in the complexity of the game between high school and a good college program. Some kids get it and some don't...STAR rankings don't tell you which will and which wont

Agree completely. I might argue that a great strength and conditioning coach is the most important. Our best defender (Marcus Davenport) was 6'7 220 beanpole or so coming out of high school. Now the kid has put on nearly 40 lbs of muscle in his senior year.

Recruiting is real complex but and I think as as long as a team is pulling the right players for their system it will be okay. Sure its great to snag a 3-4 star guy with a ton of P5 offers but there are many solid players that only your school recruits. Heck, UTSA's Starting QB was a former walkon. Its all about coaching and making men of these players.
10-25-2017 03:08 PM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(10-25-2017 02:09 PM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  UTEP has 1 commit, an offensive lineman. He is probably wavering, especially if another offer comes along. No coach yet and a winless season means no commits until the next coach is on board. We still have not hired an AD, who will have as his/her first job, hiring the new FB coach.

Just learned that he de-committed this afternoon and reopened his recruiting. Only smart thing to do with UTEP not having a coach yet. He has offers from UNM, NMSU and AFA as well as UTEP.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 04:03 PM by MinerInWisconsin.)
10-25-2017 04:03 PM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(10-25-2017 03:08 PM)Digi368 Wrote:  

matters more

Agree completely. I might argue that a great strength and conditioning coach is the most important. Our best defender (Marcus Davenport) was 6'7 220 beanpole or so coming out of high school. Now the kid has put on nearly 40 lbs of muscle in his senior year.

Recruiting is real complex but and I think as as long as a team is pulling the right players for their system it will be okay. Sure its great to snag a 3-4 star guy with a ton of P5 offers but there are many solid players that only your school recruits. Heck, UTSA's Starting QB was a former walkon. Its all about coaching and making men of these players.

We'll, I'll take a recruiting class full of 4-5 stars over one with 1-3 stars all day long.
10-25-2017 08:01 PM
Saint Greg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
Yuge commit for Tech today! Maureese Wren (6-4 216) ATH out of Mesquite, Texas. Former Arkansas Commit. 4* and number 220 on the ESPN 300.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/footb...reese-wren

(This post was last modified: 12-10-2017 03:06 PM by Saint Greg.)
12-10-2017 03:05 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall
CrappiesCrappies

matters more

Marshall made their living off guys that no one else was interested in for a long time. Player development and diamonds in the rough are keys to G5 winning. You didn't get Alabama 5 stars those days but you could make them with the right coaching. We put more people in the NFL, by far, back then, too, with 2 star recruits.
12-10-2017 03:15 PM
MU42 Offline
1st String

The thing about recruiting is you can’t really measure heart and drive and discipline, they are more important imo than height, weight, speed, etc.

Will someone fold under pressure?
Will someone quit if they aren’t starting or will they work harder?
How bad do you want it?

For us, Cato wanted it as bad as any QB we have had, Litton in my opinion likes the perks of being the QB at MU more than actually being the QB. Don’t get me wrong, Cato enjoyed the perks too, but he wanted to win above all else. Litton always talks the talk but only walks the walk when things are going well.

Also, We have recruited a lot of local talent over the years and about a quarter of them actually make it. The rest can’t handle waiting 3 years to actually play.

We usually see more success in guys that want to play for Marshall or buy into playing for Marshall, than guys who thought they were going SEC, ACC and had to “settle” for MU.

This is why our attrition the last 3 years has been awful, this is why we always talk about next year, and this is why the fans are tired of hearing the same lines from the HC and AD.

Doc is a great recruiter, Doc is well respected by HS coaches, Doc finds diamonds in the rough, these are all true, but Doc can’t or won’t recruit better coaches than we have, especially at OC, so we continue to be mediocre.
12-10-2017 04:48 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
(12-10-2017 04:48 PM)MU42 Wrote:  The thing about recruiting is you can’t really measure heart and drive and discipline, they are more important imo than height, weight, speed, etc.

How bad do you want it?

For us, Cato wanted it as bad as any QB we have had, Litton in my opinion likes the perks of being the QB at MU more than actually being the QB. Don’t get me wrong, Cato enjoyed the perks too, but he wanted to win above all else. Litton always talks the talk but only walks the walk when things are going well.

Also, We have recruited a lot of local talent over the years and about a quarter of them actually make it. The rest can’t handle waiting 3 years to actually play.

We usually see more success in guys that want to play for Marshall or buy into playing for Marshall, than guys who thought they were going SEC, ACC and had to “settle” for MU.

This is why our attrition the last 3 years has been awful, this is why we always talk about next year, and this is why the fans are tired of hearing the same lines from the HC and AD.

Doc is a great recruiter, Doc is well respected by HS coaches, Doc finds diamonds in the rough, these are all true, but Doc can’t or won’t recruit better coaches than we have, especially at OC, so we continue to be mediocre.

USM once was the #3 recruiter in Alabama...especially at small rural schools no one heard of....

But lots of things changed: USM no longer took Prop 48's...Not only did Troy, UAB and S. Alabumble arrive on the scene, but schools such as Louisville, W Virginia, Cinci and lower tier SEC schools like OP/MSUcks/Vandy and Kentucky began scouring the state...and finally, the "internets" made it almost impossible for a kid to be missed or under-recruited..

We are attempting to re-establish our old stomping grounds in Alabama, Florida and SE Louisiana, but it's hard to sell what we're selling right now...04-cheers
12-10-2017 05:06 PM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(12-10-2017 04:48 PM)MU42 Wrote:  The thing about recruiting is you can’t really measure heart and drive and discipline, they are more important imo than height, weight, speed, etc.

How bad do you want it?

When I said diamonds in the rough I was referring to Pruett. Doc's recruiting ability is a sham when you compare his classes to the results in both conference results and NFL talent. They might be good in high school but they get lost in translation here.
12-10-2017 07:45 PM
techdawg88 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(12-10-2017 03:05 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  Yuge commit for Tech today! Maureese Wren (6-4 216) ATH out of Mesquite, Texas. Former Arkansas Commit. 4* and number 220 on the ESPN 300.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/footb...reese-wren

big time get, don't think Tech has ever gotten a player that was in the ESPN 300
12-11-2017 03:43 AM
goliath74 Offline

I Root For: FAU, FSU
We (FAU) just doubled our commitments from 1 to 2. We poached a 3 star WR from somebody.
12-11-2017 07:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.