Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Crash the Convo" Week
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
"Crash the Convo" Week
Okay, first looks at the 2017/8 MBB and WBB teams...

See the EMU athletic website for details..

Man, I remember, memory not foggy when I came out and attended the 'Midnight Madness' (or whatever it was called) when Boykins, Dial, Zajac, Head, Nink, etc. made their debuts...

Like wow, the talent was OBVIOUS!!! A fmr. player in attendance told me to the effect they just need the right coaching to be very, very good.

It happened!!!! He was 100% right.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 09:23 AM by emu steve.)
10-23-2017 09:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

RE: "Crash the Convo" Week
FWIW, should be interesting to see Terry Harris. His brother, Tobias, is averaging 24 ppg for the NBA Detroit Pistons.

Good genes? :)
10-23-2017 02:23 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
"Crash the Convo" Week
Look forward to see some guys there tomorrow. There is a season ticket holder event an hour before the “crash the convo.” Hope to get a first glimpse at guys like Harris, Minnie, Jackson. I will post some observations either tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10-23-2017 03:54 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-23-2017 03:54 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Look forward to see some guys there tomorrow. There is a season ticket holder event an hour before the “crash the convo.” Hope to get a first glimpse at guys like Harris, Minnie, Jackson. I will post some observations either tomorrow night or Wednesday.

Looking forward to it.

Haven't heard too much but what I've heard is good. I assume all of these three newcomers will start. Groce will be key off the bench.

This is a big time talent infusion for a team which has JT4, Bond, Nobles, etc.

Assume: P.J., Harris, Bond, JT4, and Minnie. Groce and Nobles off the bench. Not too sure about the back court although McAdoo is my guess at PG.

Think this team will be able to run, run, run...
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 04:09 PM by emu steve.)
10-23-2017 04:05 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I have to imagine Isaiah Green will get some run off the bench too. Looks like a defensive stud and a very good athlete in his JC film.

My biggest hope for the season is that Thompson worked on his defensive discipline to go along with his much-improved physique. If he can stay out of foul trouble and play 30+ minutes every night, he could be the POTY in the conference. We all know he has the talent to do so...now it's about not getting silly fouls and T's. No matter how the newcomers perform, Thompson is the key to our season. We will go as he goes.
10-23-2017 04:43 PM
EMUAARON Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hurons
(10-23-2017 03:54 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Look forward to see some guys there tomorrow. There is a season ticket holder event an hour before the “crash the convo.” Hope to get a first glimpse at guys like Harris, Minnie, Jackson. I will post some observations either tomorrow night or Wednesday.

bring a notepad, take copious notes, and call in sick the next day to give us a full recap of the event. 02-13-banana02-13-banana

but seriously, i'm dying for basketball season to start, so i'll be hanging on your every word. i wish i could be there.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2017 06:22 PM by EMUAARON.)
10-23-2017 06:21 PM
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

(10-23-2017 06:21 PM)EMUAARON Wrote:  

bring a notepad, take copious notes, and call in sick the next day to give us a full recap of the event. 02-13-banana02-13-banana

but seriously, i'm dying for basketball season to start, so i'll be hanging on your every word. i wish i could be there.

Haha Aaron, some days I wish that were my job. Can't imagine it pays much less than teaching. I will do my best.
10-23-2017 06:24 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Twelve hours away... In a sense, I think I'm under-appreciating the event.

This year's MBB team is kind of a unknown team. Sure some nice returnees, like JT4, Bond, Nobles. Some really touted transfer players who sat out last year.

And a lot of NEW faces. Whenever that happens things are kind of like a crap shoot. More unknowns than answers. That isn't a negative, but simply "we'll have to see..."

Everyone has their own ideas as to whom of the true newcomers will make a significant contribution in 2017/8.

I like McAdoo. Some have posted, Green. Some of the other newcomers I know nothing.

I think the important thing is that this team has ONE senior, Bond. We could be really good for two years, IF things work out well.

In the NBA I follow the Wizards. They are NOW a well balanced team with the right players playing the right positions: Wall (PG), Beal (SG), Porter (SF), Gortat © and Morris (PF).

Our team MIGHT have the right players playing the right positions: Jackson (PG), Harris (SG), Bond (SF), JT4 © and Minnie (PF). I believe this lineup is the 'right players playing the right position.' Couldn't say that last year...

There is a real possibility that this team will really mesh well and exceed expectations.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 06:01 AM by emu steve.)
10-24-2017 05:51 AM
KPJ Offline
1st String

After reading the story about Ty Groce and his battle with depression, I'm REALLY cheering for him and hoping he can be a big part of success at EMU.
(This post was last modified: 10-24-2017 07:10 AM by KPJ.)
10-24-2017 07:10 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

This being live-streamed? It was last year, correct?
10-24-2017 03:43 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

So after attending the event tonight here are some of my thoughts. I will also try to attach some videos that I took.
-The event was formatted very similar to last year: player intros, women's team did a shooting drill, mens team scrimmaged each other, skills competitions, shooting competition, and then the dunk contest.
-Was able to speak with Mondro prior to the event. He was very nice and upbeat about the team this year. Spoke high praises about JT4 and seemed to think that he will be an even bigger force with the added weight. He talked to us about Nazione and that he is currently playing in Argentina.
-The scrimmage was pretty much a glorified all star game with the effort and many dunk attempts. It did show a lot of athleticism and Minnie really stuck out to me. Threw down some big dunks and is just a big long dude. Perfect for a wing in the zone and could probably play the middle as well.
-Harris has the biggest upside of the sit outs in my opinion. Has a nice outside shot, long frame, and seems very composed out there. Tobias showed up mid way through and took a pic with Terry. Very nice to have your NBA brother less than an hour away from you.
-Ty Groce won the dunk contest (first time Bond has not won in his time here). Both Bond and Groce threw down some nice dunks, but Groce won after Bond attempted to have Nobles toss him one from the champions club and couldn't get it done after 3 attempts. Isaiah Green was also in the dunk contest.
-I was really excited to see Paul Jackson and Malik Ellison live and they did not disappoint. Jackson seems very smooth and composed with the rock. I see him distributing the ball better than Mike Talley did a few years ago. Malik could be one of the quickest players we have ever had. If they do not redshirt him this year, I see him contributing and maybe even running some PG and allowing Jackson to play some SG. Either way hope he stays in the program for 4 years.
- I would imagine a top 8 of Jackson, Bond, Harris, Minnie, JT4, Groce, Nobles, Green. My best bet for a staring 5 would be PG: Jackson SG: Bond SF: Harris PF: Minnie C: JT4.
10-24-2017 09:25 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-24-2017 09:25 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  So after attending the event tonight here are some of my thoughts. I will also try to attach some videos that I took.
-The event was formatted very similar to last year: player intros, women's team did a shooting drill, mens team scrimmaged each other, skills competitions, shooting competition, and then the dunk contest.
-Was able to speak with Mondro prior to the event. He was very nice and upbeat about the team this year. Spoke high praises about JT4 and seemed to think that he will be an even bigger force with the added weight. He talked to us about Nazione and that he is currently playing in Argentina.
-The scrimmage was pretty much a glorified all star game with the effort and many dunk attempts. It did show a lot of athleticism and Minnie really stuck out to me. Threw down some big dunks and is just a big long dude. Perfect for a wing in the zone and could probably play the middle as well.
-Harris has the biggest upside of the sit outs in my opinion. Has a nice outside shot, long frame, and seems very composed out there. Tobias showed up mid way through and took a pic with Terry. Very nice to have your NBA brother less than an hour away from you.
-Ty Groce won the dunk contest (first time Bond has not won in his time here). Both Bond and Groce threw down some nice dunks, but Groce won after Bond attempted to have Nobles toss him one from the champions club and couldn't get it done after 3 attempts. Isaiah Green was also in the dunk contest.
-I was really excited to see Paul Jackson and Malik Ellison live and they did not disappoint. Jackson seems very smooth and composed with the rock. I see him distributing the ball better than Mike Talley did a few years ago. Malik could be one of the quickest players we have ever had. If they do not redshirt him this year, I see him contributing and maybe even running some PG and allowing Jackson to play some SG. Either way hope he stays in the program for 4 years.
- I would imagine a top 8 of Jackson, Bond, Harris, Minnie, JT4, Groce, Nobles, Green. My best bet for a staring 5 would be PG: Jackson SG: Bond SF: Harris PF: Minnie C: JT4.

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Thank you.
10-24-2017 09:40 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I realize that these scrimmages are a little like all-star games, but talent is talent.

I'm standing by my comment that this team might be Murphy's best all-around, well balanced, a team with a true PG, true C, true PF, etc.

Once we get into conference, Murphy will need a 8 man rotation and I think we can find 8 or 9 players. The 8 named above + another guard.

EDIT: I wonder who the other guard might be: Ellison or McAdoo?
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 04:15 AM by emu steve.)
10-24-2017 09:49 PM
EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Still trying to find a way to compress my videos small enough to post. However if you follow the emumbb instagram they live feeded some nice video coverage.
10-24-2017 09:56 PM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(10-24-2017 09:25 PM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  So after attending the event tonight here are some of my thoughts. I will also try to attach some videos that I took.
EagleKing,

Thanks for summing up the event. I'm excited to see the team this year. Maybe we're MAC champs if Bailey stays to play back up center. My only concern that I see is outside shooting..... could you comment on whether or not any of the new players have nice looking jump shots? ie Mcadoo?

Since we have a new assistant coaching staff, did we seem to have a better offense? Did each team play zone?

Thx!
10-25-2017 05:04 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I'm going to reply to Luckeyone:

I hope we have a modified offense but it will not be because of new asst coaches.

Basically, Wooten is a coach whose forte is recruiting. He isn't a D-I coach with 10 years experience as an ass't.

Cline is a very young coach. This is his first job as a D-I asst coach. Previously he was a DOBO.

To me, the question is whenever the team personnel changes radically (It has) how much will the offense change?

I doubt we'll have the gunners like last year. Hope for more easy transition buckets (those are both exciting and high percentage, certainly better than a desperation trey).

Remember how the Braun offense changed almost 25 years ago when the talent changed dramatically (for the better). Looking at you Boykins and Dial. Got to have the horses who can run if you want to run.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2017 05:26 AM by emu steve.)
10-25-2017 05:23 AM
Advertisement

EAGLE KING Offline
1st String

Thanks for summing up the event. I'm excited to see the team this year. Maybe we're MAC champs if Bailey stays to play back up center. My only concern that I see is outside shooting..... could you comment on whether or not any of the new players have nice looking jump shots? ie Mcadoo?

Since we have a new assistant coaching staff, did we seem to have a better offense? Did each team play zone?

Thx!
[/quote]

Outside shooting was definitely a weakness I noticed. There are no Lee's and Mangum's on this team, which is probably for the better. The team started off the scrimmage missing at least six 3 pointers. There was no real offense being run, it was all star game street ball, looking to make big dunks. Probably the only man to man defense I will see all year during the event. No zone or even any effort on the defensive side, which is understandable in an event like this. I did not see Mcadoo as a real threat for minutes this year, his shot actually seemed awkward and unconventional to me. I think we will see Ellison play some backup PG this year.

This team will be at its best when we run the court and score in transition. That has to be our bread and butter. I don't think there will be a more athletic and quick team than us in the MAC.
10-25-2017 06:31 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(10-25-2017 06:31 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Thanks for summing up the event. I'm excited to see the team this year. Maybe we're MAC champs if Bailey stays to play back up center. My only concern that I see is outside shooting..... could you comment on whether or not any of the new players have nice looking jump shots? ie Mcadoo?

Thx!

...This team will be at its best when we run the court and score in transition. That has to be our bread and butter. I don't think there will be a more athletic and quick team than us in the MAC.
[/quote]

That would be my guess. Should make for EXCITING ball.

P.S. As we are seeing this year in football, our fans will get motivated by exciting ball. The energy for EMU FB has been very high this year.
10-25-2017 06:36 AM
Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

(10-25-2017 06:36 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-25-2017 06:31 AM)EAGLE KING Wrote:  Thanks for summing up the event. I'm excited to see the team this year. Maybe we're MAC champs if Bailey stays to play back up center. My only concern that I see is outside shooting..... could you comment on whether or not any of the new players have nice looking jump shots? ie Mcadoo?

Thx!

...This team will be at its best when we run the court and score in transition. That has to be our bread and butter. I don't think there will be a more athletic and quick team than us in the MAC.

That would be my guess. Should make for EXCITING ball.

P.S. As we are seeing this year in football, our fans will get motivated by exciting ball. The energy for EMU FB has been very high this year.
[/quote]

Except when the special team trots out on the field
10-25-2017 07:19 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

How did Terry Harris look? I thought he had potential to be an outside shooting threat.
10-25-2017 07:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.