Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joe Karlgaard's October 2017 podcast
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Joe Karlgaard's October 2017 podcast
It has been posted on soundcloud and itunes. Four months since the last podcast, hope there is something interesting on it!
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 04:07 PM by mrbig.)
10-19-2017 04:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

RE: Joe Karlgaard's October 2017 podcast
Started off with Soccer as the highest achiever, spoke about Volleyball doing well. "Football has been very challenging, there's no way around it". Lots of group-hug about Hurricane Harvey. Commendations on money raised and help.

Pivot to season tickets and fan engagement. Football has 3rd highest season tix in last 10 years despite being 3-9 last year. Kudos given to the sales peeps. Merchandising is at all time high.

Facilities - Tudor being wired for HD digital transmission. New things - permanent Roost moving to 1B side.
10-19-2017 04:20 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

*Break*

Move to Alan Shelby and how he became a Rice fan. discussion on Rice Update. Discussion on him being inducted into Rice Hall of Fame in 2003. Discusses that its nice to be able to mingle with Rice student athletes and see them grow. Discussion on future of Rice Update if Alan decides to hang it up - says "no exit strategy" and a laugh.
10-19-2017 04:28 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

(10-19-2017 04:28 PM)Antarius Wrote:  *Break*

Move to Alan Shelby and how he became a Rice fan. discussion on Rice Update. Discussion on him being inducted into Rice Hall of Fame in 2003. Discusses that its nice to be able to mingle with Rice student athletes and see them grow. Discussion on future of Rice Update if Alan decides to hang it up - says "no exit strategy" and a laugh.

Worth noting that the Alan Shelby's of the world are exactly the kind of fan Hambone (and others) frequently talk about trying to attract to Rice athletics. Smart people who live in Houston and attended colleges that are not athletic powerhouses (Alan Shelby attended the University of Pennsylvania).
10-19-2017 04:35 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

*Break*

Fan Q&A segment -
1. Biggest priorities as AD and biggest priority in Football?
A: Priorities evolve due to turbulence in NCAA. Lots of changes since laid out vision in 2014. needs to be nimble with thinking. Trying to make sure we are ready for any changes including Conference realignment, new rules. Longer term, we need more tools to make our coaches and student athletes successful. We all agree that outputs are winning conference, being top 25 nationally in all sports, all students graduate.

wrt to Football - my job is to support David and support Rice football. After a 3-9 season we made some changes, but once you make said changes you need to support them .I say this with the caveat that we have to win. Ultimately you have to win. "We have to win. Ultimately, I'm the one who's going to be accountable for that."

2. About the australia trip. did we achieve what we wanted and the student athletes did
A: 2 things didn't go well, the game and the hurricane. otherwise was a great experience. 2/3rd of the team had never been abroad, so this was a unique experience. he hopes that they would spark curiosity to see the world and maybe study abroad. engaged with local schools and University of Sydney. believes it was worth it

3. P5 - G5 divide grows. How do we stay competitive?
A: Numerous examples of schools that do a lot with little. it is hard to sustain without the financial support ongoing. That said, it isnt about how much you spend, talent matters, coaching matters, facilities matter. we have to be efficient. That's what this university wants us to be and is. despite the size, Rice punches above weight class and athletics must do the same. We have advantages, but we must be efficient.

4. How to keep fans and staff motivated with the start to football?
A: So many great things in Rice Athletics. Soccer is top 25, Volleyball/ XC is good. Super excited about BB - especially womens. Tennis has won lots of C-USA. Good freshman class in baseball. Lots of great things. 16 programs, 8 finished 1st or 2nd in Conference. We can worry about 1 program or celebrate the good things instead - it is ok to do both too. But we should support all student athletes.

5. University published V2C2. No athletics. Where does it fit?
A: Recommends we go to the website about V2C2. use the open comment period. We are stronger if we can tether ourselves to the university mission. Not put off by it missing. We must see what OUR role is towards the broader University mission and tie into. just because we arent in V2C2 doesnt mean we wont be part of the capital campaign coming up.

Fin.

EDIT: Updated with bolded piece thanks to Pimpa.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 04:55 PM by Antarius.)
10-19-2017 04:39 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(10-19-2017 04:35 PM)mrbig Wrote:  
(10-19-2017 04:28 PM)Antarius Wrote:  *Break*

Worth noting that the Alan Shelby's of the world are exactly the kind of fan Hambone (and others) frequently talk about trying to attract to Rice athletics. Smart people who live in Houston and attended colleges that are not athletic powerhouses (Alan Shelby attended the University of Pennsylvania).

...and his wife, Nancy, attended Brown. In our group in Section F at Reckling, we have Baylor, UT and A&M alums who have been longtime (20+ years) Rice baseball season ticketholders, as well as a relative newbie (4 years) who is a UConn grad.
10-19-2017 04:41 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Hope the above was helpful.

My personal take - good to hear, the bit about Mr. Shelby was nice - as mrbig mentions above these are the type of people we want interested. Overall didn't really walk away feeling like I learned anything new though.
10-19-2017 04:42 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-19-2017 04:39 PM)Antarius Wrote:  *Break*

Fan Q&A segment -
A: Priorities evolve due to turbulence in NCAA. Lots of changes since laid out vision in 2014. needs to be nimble with thinking. Trying to make sure we are ready for any changes including Conference realignment, new rules. Longer term, we need more tools to make our coaches and student athletes successful. We all agree that outputs are winning conference, being top 25 nationally in all sports, all students graduate.

wrt to Football - my job is to support David and support Rice football. After a 3-9 season we made some changes, but once you make said changes you need to support them .I say this with the caveat that we have to win. Ultimately you have to win.

2. About the australia trip. did we achieve what we wanted and the student athletes did
A: 2 things didn't go well, the game and the hurricane. otherwise was a great experience. 2/3rd of the team had never been abroad, so this was a unique experience. he hopes that they would spark curiosity to see the world and maybe study abroad. engaged with local schools and University of Sydney. believes it was worth it

3. P5 - G5 divide grows. How do we stay competitive?
A: Numerous examples of schools that do a lot with little. it is hard to sustain without the financial support ongoing. That said, it isnt about how much you spend, talent matters, coaching matters, facilities matter. we have to be efficient. That's what this university wants us to be and is. despite the size, Rice punches above weight class and athletics must do the same. We have advantages, but we must be efficient.

4. How to keep fans and staff motivated with the start to football?
A: So many great things in Rice Athletics. Soccer is top 25, Volleyball/ XC is good. Super excited about BB - especially womens. Tennis has won lots of C-USA. Good freshman class in baseball. Lots of great things. 16 programs, 8 finished 1st or 2nd in Conference. We can worry about 1 program or celebrate the good things instead - it is ok to do both too. But we should support all student athletes.

5. University published V2C2. No athletics. Where does it fit?
A: Recommends we go to the website about V2C2. use the open comment period. We are stronger if we can tether ourselves to the university mission. Not put off by it missing. We must see what OUR role is towards the broader University mission and tie into. just because we arent in V2C2 doesnt mean we wont be part of the capital campaign coming up.

Fin.

Muchos gracias for saving me the time of listening. Seriously, thanks! 04-bow
10-19-2017 04:43 PM
allerretour Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: rice, naturally
Thanks for that summary. That was helpful, and I actually do agree with him: football blows right now, but there are things to smile about.

I noticed the absence of anything regarding sports in V2C2 immediately also.
10-19-2017 04:48 PM
Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

Fan Q&A segment -

wrt to Football - my job is to support David and support Rice football. After a 3-9 season we made some changes, but once you make said changes you need to support them .I say this with the caveat that we have to win. Ultimately you have to win.

His last statement for this segment was "We have to win. Ultimately, I'm the one who's going to be accountable for that."

My take: He gave DB the extra year and give him every opportunity to succeed. DB was told he had to win. JK was told FB needed to turn it around, and it is on him if he doesn't Again, going back to my post in the Thresher thread, I think JK is making his case justifying his decision when/if the hammer drops at the end of the year.

Pretty much a non-answer in response to the question of motivation based on the football slow start.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 04:56 PM by Pimpa.)
10-19-2017 04:52 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-19-2017 04:52 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  

Fan Q&A segment -

His last statement for this segment was "We have to win. Ultimately, I'm the one who's going to be accountable for that."

My take: He gave DB the extra year and give him every opportunity to succeed. DB was told he had to win. JK was told FB needed to turn it around, and it is on him if he doesn't Again, going back to my post in the Thresher thread, I think JK is making his case justifying his decision when/if the hammer drops at the end of the year.

Thanks for the add. Added it to the above as well.

I'm not clear on who JK needs to convince and justify. Like did JK want to fire Bailiff and someone stepped in and said no? Or did he feel Bailiff needed an extra year?

Also what changes were made last year wrt Football from an Athletic Director perspective? I wouldn't expect the change from meerkat to non Meerkat or the shuffling of the depth chart or any of that to register as changes that an AD would need to either get behind, opine on or support. Which harkens back to the above question, is JK or someone HIGHER than JK involved in the nuts and bolts of FB?
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 05:03 PM by Antarius.)
10-19-2017 04:57 PM
Advertisement

Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

(10-19-2017 04:57 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Fan Q&A segment -

I'm not clear on who JK needs to convince and justify. Like did JK want to fire Bailiff and someone stepped in and said no? Or did he feel Bailiff needed an extra year?

Also what changes were made last year wrt Football from an Athletic Director perspective? I wouldn't expect the change from meerkat to non Meerkat or the shuffling of the depth chart or any of that to register as changes that an AD would need to either get behind, opine on or support.

Ant - I have no inside information. But, if it is true that there is a segment of stakeholders in football (i.e., BOT, boosters, former players) who are ardent DB supporters, then my pure supposition is that JK may be making the argument as to why he ultimately decides to move in a different direction in football. Especially given the last comment where he says, "We have to win. Ultimately, I'm the one who's going to be accountable for that." I interpret that as, "look, we tried it your way, now my butt is on the line, and we are going to do it my way."

Again, just my reading of the tea leaves, nothing more.
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 05:08 PM by Pimpa.)
10-19-2017 05:06 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-19-2017 04:57 PM)Antarius Wrote:  

Fan Q&A segment -

Also what changes were made last year wrt Football from an Athletic Director perspective? I wouldn't expect the change from meerkat to non Meerkat or the shuffling of the depth chart or any of that to register as changes that an AD would need to either get behind, opine on or support. Which harkens back to the above question, is JK or someone HIGHER than JK involved in the nuts and bolts of FB?

He forced the assistant coaching changes.
10-19-2017 05:08 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-19-2017 05:08 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  He forced the assistant coaching changes.

Which begs the question of - why?

If you have so little confidence in your subordinate to make the right decision that you make their decision for them against their wishes then you are better off firing that subordinate in the first place.

The only case where the above would make sense is if DB is protected by someone higher than JK. And if that's the case and I was Karlgaard, I'd walk. Its similar to why MAS/Malaysia Airlines has lost 3 CEO's in quick succession - every plan they try to implement, someone from higher up sticks their fingers in; MAS bought A380s strictly due to a measuring contest with nearby far wealthier Singapore - stupid decision but hey, egos need to be stroked.

Somethings rotten in the state of Denmark....
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2017 05:14 PM by Antarius.)
10-19-2017 05:13 PM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Really appreciate the transcript! I don't suppose you wanna do the same for the previous one in June? ;-) I was told when I submitted my questions for this go-round that some of my pointed questions on the state of our conference efforts/overall strategy (or lack thereof) were addressed in June. Maybe if the UTSA game gets out of hand on Saturday (what are the odds?) I'll distract myself by digging it up and see if there are any nuggets to be gleaned.
10-19-2017 06:19 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-19-2017 06:19 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  (what are the odds?)

50-50. Either it will or it won't.
10-19-2017 06:22 PM
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Of note, the previous podcasts have somewhere between 200 and 230 views on Soundcloud. Is iTunes a lot more?

That's a disconcertingly small number.
10-19-2017 06:30 PM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(10-19-2017 06:22 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-19-2017 06:19 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  (what are the odds?)

50-50. Either it will or it won't.

I was an academ and even I know that just because there are two possible outcomes doesn't mean each has an equal likelihood of occurring!
10-19-2017 06:31 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-19-2017 06:19 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  Really appreciate the transcript! I don't suppose you wanna do the same for the previous one in June? ;-) I was told when I submitted my questions for this go-round that some of my pointed questions on the state of our conference efforts/overall strategy (or lack thereof) were addressed in June. Maybe if the UTSA game gets out of hand on Saturday (what are the odds?) I'll distract myself by digging it up and see if there are any nuggets to be gleaned.

Here is the Fan Questions section of the June podcast. Didn't see a ton.

1. What was the experience as a member of the NCAA selection committee?
A: Was a fantastic experience. Got to be around lots of experienced AD and can learn from them. Hopes to be more involved in the future. Discussion of the teams in Omaha etc.

2. What are expectations towards a plan/strategy for continued excellent leadership of Rice Baseball?
A: Want to advance Rice baseball till we can go back to Omaha/Super Regionals. Things with facilities, things with recruiting we can do. Have to be creative wrt to how we approach the program. Not sure if what Rice did when he built the program is the same as needed today. The landscape has shifted, there is a lot more money. We are going to have to be creative to get ahead.

3. Can Rice do anything different in MBB to reduce transfers? What is the process for transfers?
A: Honesty and transparency for athletes is important. We need to be clear that a rigorous academic experience is expected. We want people who embrace the entire experience and not just the basketball part. Expresses confidence in Pera.

When people want to transfer, JK asks why. Doesnt know whether its real/right reasons but wants to see why they are unhappy or what they feel they want from somewhere else. Generally grants a release. There is a penalty structure, but hasn't dissuaded most. he doesnt want to make it more difficult - expects that to pay off in the long run.

4. Does Rice Athletics have a plan to update its vision or strategic plan? Consider a DU model or like other top academic/private schools?
A: Credit to DU for lots of success. We have plans to update the strategic plan. Expect to have more end of the summer.
10-19-2017 07:04 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
The combo of David’s goodwill to the University, support from some influential former players/alums, doing things the right way, overall likability, and a seven-figure buyout all made it too hard to fire him last year.

So JK put David on what someone on another thread called a ‘performance-improvement-plan’ where David had to articulate (or maybe write) a plan of what was going to change as it was made clear that the status quo was not acceptable for him to retain his job past this season. There is no longer a margin of error. I don’t agree with Walt that JK ‘forced’ the changes on assistants but I do think he gave clear direction that things need to change and David needed to specifically explain what was going to change. Some here may disagree, but I do think both the offensive coordination and defensive coordination are better this year even though statistically it has not shown-up yet. There has been some bad luck with your best playmakers at RB, QB, Defensive Back, OL, and other positions being hurt, the Australian junket, the hurricane, etc. but kind of irrelevant as David is out of get out jail free cards that were present in prior years.

IMO when we reflect back on what sealed his fate the most, will be the failure to capitalize on recruiting talent off the back of the building of the EZF and his winning seasons from 12-14 to get the program to the next level. While there are pockets of talent (e.g., Martin, Womac, etc.), the talent gap has widened on DB’s watch over the past 5 years. He has recruited 7 QB’s since DJ and none of them have shown anything comparable to McH and CC (and not even DJ). So you can put whatever coaching and schemes you want, but if you don’t have the talent and QB play to compete with those schemes, it does not matter. DB is not going to out coach, out execute, out detail, out adjust at halftime, or out prepare other teams but he has shown he can win and win a championship with NFL talent surrounded by solid QB’s who can make plays with feet and arm. So if you don’t recruit those things to the roster in the first place, the results like this year are pretty predictable. Thus, the changes made never really had much of a chance to succeed in first place.

So there have been a few ups, lots of downs, but if you were to graph a line of performance on the y-axis and years of the program on DB’s watch on the x-axis, the 2017 datapoint plot is less than the 2006 plot when he was hired after Toad left with a .500 team on the upswing. In other words, the program has regressed as measured by performance (vs. graduation rates or other non-on-the-field metrics). Meanwhile, our football ‘peers’ in 2007 (e.g., Houston, SMU, Tulane, Service Academies, Memphis, etc.) all surpassed Rice during that same time while teams we would have considered ourselves much superior to in 2007 (e.g., UTSA, La Tech, WKU, NT, etc.) have surpassed us as well. Now our peers are UTEP, FIU, FAU, Charlotte, and Old Dominion. Only levels below that peer group are Sunbelt and FCS.

I am reading the tea leaves of last paragraph in the Thresher article plus the Podcast that absent a 6-0 finish, DB’s fate is now sealed. As someone on another thread said, early December is probably likely to save as much $ as possible. I would not be shocked to see some feelers and headhunters already being engaged to move fast but the external optics will be celebration of his commitment to Rice, celebrating his ‘right way’ approach, etc. I have a hard time seeing JK, Leebron, and others doing something that is not done in a classy and respectful way. At a human level, DB deserves and has earned that celebration of character.

DB will be a great analyst for CBSC, BeIN, FB Live, or other tier-2 networks showcasing G5 football. So likable and personable that he will show well on TV, especially with his connections. If Frank Wilson moves on to greener pastures (likely) or Everett Withers gets fired (also likely), I could also see DB return closer to home and come full circle but hard to see another head coaching opportunity present itself unless he chooses the Fred Goldsmith or Todd Dodge route and goes back to High School. Maybe Gary Patterson or some other close mate hires him as a coordinator. But bottom line is that DB will undoubtedly land on his feet and be told how hard it is to win at Rice, how he started a Rice Renaissance in football, etc. In other words, what happened over past 10+ years was not his fault. Some cringe here on that but likability/respect will trump the reality of the situation

For Rice, JK has only one bite at the apple left for relevance. He needs a Hail Mary hire. Make a mistake and the world will finally pass us by for good. We are still in the race with a Jim Carey ‘so your are saying I have a chance’ but the water in the pot is now getting close to boiling. Many lost decades since the glory days of the 40’s and 50’s but 2007-17 was also a lost decade for the program in a sea of so much macro change where FBS football world moved faster than Rice.

Will be unrealistic expectations on the shoulders of the coach for the 2018 team. But for now, I will take some hope, pride, and optimism and get rid of this current feeling of embarrassment and apathy.
10-19-2017 07:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.