[Image: DMIU0cfW4AAG2Mg.jpg]

10-16-2017 07:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: AAC Basketball Media Day - UC picked to win conference. Three on 2nd Team
Good to see the confidence from the rest of the AAC. I predict a real chance at being regular season champions, but losing to WSU in the conference tournament final.

10-16-2017 08:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Gary Clark should be first team all conference. He affects the game in so many different ways. Such a special all around player. Good with everything else.

10-16-2017 09:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
i know very little about Wichita State but it is interesting they don't have anyone on the All Conference teams. Are they just a good all around team or do they have a player or two to look out for? SMU will be tough and that damn Taco Fall at UCF is always a tough out.

10-16-2017 09:20 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(10-16-2017 09:20 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  i know very little about Wichita State but it is interesting they don't have anyone on the All Conference teams. Are they just a good all around team or do they have a player or two to look out for? SMU will be tough and that damn Taco Fall at UCF is always a tough out.

If the league knew Landry Shamet would be healthy he'd likely be preseason POY. He is first team all conference. However, they do rotate in and out with a lot of different guys who are all very skilled.

(This post was last modified: 10-16-2017 09:27 AM by bearcatmark.)
10-16-2017 09:24 AM
doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(10-16-2017 09:20 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  i know very little about Wichita State but it is interesting they don't have anyone on the All Conference teams. Are they just a good all around team or do they have a player or two to look out for? SMU will be tough and that damn Taco Fall at UCF is always a tough out.
The best way to negate Taco is to push up the floor fast. Last year Troy slow walked it, this year Cane should have it at the other end with Taco still at half court.

10-16-2017 09:33 AM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-16-2017 09:33 AM)doss2 Wrote:  
The best way to negate Taco is to push up the floor fast. Last year Troy slow walked it, this year Cane should have it at the other end with Taco still at half court.

So true, Fall seems to get gassed in a hurry when teams push the ball on offense. Let him set up in the low post and you might as well put a lid on the hoop.

10-16-2017 09:58 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(10-16-2017 09:24 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  

If the league knew Landry Shamet would be healthy he'd likely be preseason POY. He is first team all conference. However, they do rotate in and out with a lot of different guys who are all very skilled.

Thanks. I missed him on the first team. Didn't recognize their logo under his name.

10-16-2017 10:15 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(10-16-2017 09:58 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 09:33 AM)doss2 Wrote:  

So true, Fall seems to get gassed in a hurry when teams push the ball on offense. Let him set up in the low post and you might as well put a lid on the hoop.

I bet, with another year of conditioning and experience, Fall will be even better. Not saying a guy with his size will be able to run with the speedsters but he will be more used to running.

10-16-2017 10:16 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
The first team is all guards. The second team would beat the first team.

10-16-2017 10:42 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
No offense to UCF, but it doesn't bode well for the conference that they're picked 3rd. The AAC needs Temple and Memphis to be in the mix at the top half of the league.

10-16-2017 11:44 AM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I wouldn't sleep on UConn. Early last season they lost Alterique Gilbert, Terry Larrier and Mamadou Diarra(not the guy we just recruited) to injury and they'll all be back this year. I think Gilbert may end up being their best player.

10-16-2017 12:14 PM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(10-16-2017 12:14 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  I wouldn't sleep on UConn. Early last season they lost Alterique Gilbert, Terry Larrier and Mamadou Diarra(not the guy we just recruited) to injury and they'll all be back this year. I think Gilbert may end up being their best player.

They lost to Wagner and Northeastern with those guys (minus Diarra) last year.

10-16-2017 12:25 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(10-16-2017 11:44 AM)geef Wrote:  No offense to UCF, but it doesn't bode well for the conference that they're picked 3rd. The AAC needs Temple and Memphis to be in the mix at the top half of the league.

You're looking at the name of the school not the talent on the court. The Knights finished 4th in the conference last year and return most of the same guys, most notably their point guard BJ Taylor who scored 17.5 points a game. You can't discount Tacko Fall either, whose size is just a problem for most teams.

10-16-2017 12:29 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(10-16-2017 12:29 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 11:44 AM)geef Wrote:  No offense to UCF, but it doesn't bode well for the conference that they're picked 3rd. The AAC needs Temple and Memphis to be in the mix at the top half of the league.

You're looking at the name of the school not the talent on the court. The Knights finished 4th in the conference last year and return most of the same guys, most notably their point guard BJ Taylor who scored 17.5 points a game. You can't discount Tacko Fall either, whose size is just a problem for most teams.

You're right - I'm fully looking at and commenting on the name of the school, and that's intentional. UCF is a tournament team this year, but I'm speaking more about long term. It bodes well for the future of basketball in the conference if historically strong programs like Memphis, UConn, and Temple are having success.

10-16-2017 01:11 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats

Shamet is first team.

10-16-2017 01:28 PM
Advertisement

Recluse1 Offline
1st String

(10-16-2017 01:11 PM)geef Wrote:  

You're right - I'm fully looking at and commenting on the name of the school, and that's intentional. UCF is a tournament team this year, but I'm speaking more about long term. It bodes well for the future of basketball in the conference if historically strong programs like Memphis, UConn, and Temple are having success.

We are marketing the program to high school kids. I doubt most of them remember Cheney at Temple... I suppose Kemba Walker is pretty good for name recognition. As far as Memphis goes though? I mean no offense to the Tigers, but what have they done since Calipari left? SMU could have helped themselves greatly the past few years. They've been loaded with talent and even had Larry Brown as a coach and yet, they're snake bitten when it comes to the tournament.

10-16-2017 01:33 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

(10-16-2017 01:33 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 01:11 PM)geef Wrote:  

We are marketing the program to high school kids. I doubt most of them remember Cheney at Temple... I suppose Kemba Walker is pretty good for name recognition. As far as Memphis goes though? I mean no offense to the Tigers, but what have they done since Calipari left? SMU could have helped themselves greatly the past few years. They've been loaded with talent and even had Larry Brown as a coach and yet, they're snake bitten when it comes to the tournament.

Temple has been reasonably successful under Dunphy (6 bids in 10 years). Memphis has been middling (4 bids in 8 years) since Calipari, but they're usually among the Top 20 in attendance and have a strong brand. I'm talking more about broad perceptions (which includes future media contracts) than high school kids. It's great to have programs that have not been historically strong in UCF and SMU strengthening their programs (did you hear that ECU, USF, and Tulane?), but I feel that it's important for more brand names (in great basketball cities) to step it back up.

10-16-2017 01:46 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(10-16-2017 12:25 PM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 12:14 PM)Recluse1 Wrote:  I wouldn't sleep on UConn. Early last season they lost Alterique Gilbert, Terry Larrier and Mamadou Diarra(not the guy we just recruited) to injury and they'll all be back this year. I think Gilbert may end up being their best player.

They lost to Wagner and Northeastern with those guys (minus Diarra) last year.

that's not a good look

10-16-2017 02:49 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
This is great recognition but it's time to get it done on the court. I want to see confidence, swagger, scoring baskets and putting teams away when it counts. Regular season conference championship or bust!

10-16-2017 06:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.