Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: NCAA “could not conclude” academic violations in UNC case
Bookmark and Share
TheEagleWay Offline
POWER OVERWHELMING

I Root For: TheNatCapital
OT: NCAA “could not conclude” academic violations in UNC case
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basket...s-for-unc/

Quote:A Division I Committee on Infractions hearing panel could not conclude that the University of North Carolina violated NCAA academic rules when it made available deficient Department of African and Afro-American Studies 'paper courses' to the general student body, including student-athletes," the NCAA's release states.

03-puke
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 10:31 AM by TheEagleWay.)
10-13-2017 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
RE: OT: NCAA “could not conclude” academic violations in UNC case
This is the biggest pile of BS I have ever seen. So basically just make cheating available to regular students and it is A OK.....App St and ECU will pay dearly for this...

Remember GT lost an ACC championship over $312 and Boise got slapped for having a kid sleep on his friends floor during a recruiting visit...
10-13-2017 10:45 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
It ain't about "What you think."

It ain't about "What you believe."

It's all about "What you can prove."
10-13-2017 10:49 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I'm not okay with the NCAA punishing a sports team for something a rogue professor or department does.

I'm also not okay with opening up the Pandora's Box of having the NCAA enforce whether or not athlete course loads have sufficient rigor. Most of us in DI have those majors where we stick athletes who aren't good students. We basically do the same thing UNC does...customize the course load to minimize difficulty.
10-13-2017 10:53 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-13-2017 10:49 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  It ain't about "What you think."

It's all about "What you are willing to prove."

FIFY
10-13-2017 10:53 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(10-13-2017 10:53 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

FIFY

No, it was right the first time . . . "What you can prove."
10-13-2017 11:28 AM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(10-13-2017 11:28 AM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 10:53 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

FIFY

No, it was right the first time . . . "What you can prove."

No they proved it but since a handful of regular students cheated along with the athletes it gave the NCAA and out for a money school. Had it ONLY been athletes then it becomes and NCAA issue according tot he inept hypocrites that run the NCAA.
10-13-2017 11:32 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
Willing to sacrifice one's academic reputation for athletics is yet another sad day for college athletics.

Wish I could say this is a surprise.
10-13-2017 11:36 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I'm glad East Carolina was able to escape punishment in this endeavor. They have clearly been through enough...
10-13-2017 11:50 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(10-13-2017 10:53 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'm not okay with the NCAA punishing a sports team for something a rogue professor or department does.

I'm also not okay with opening up the Pandora's Box of having the NCAA enforce whether or not athlete course loads have sufficient rigor. Most of us in DI have those majors where we stick athletes who aren't good students. We basically do the same thing UNC does...customize the course load to minimize difficulty.

Bump,,,cause its TRUE
10-13-2017 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

My in-laws really like NC State a lot. Season ticket holders, met the coaches and players for football, basketball, and baseball numerous times over the decades. They truly care about "their" Wolfpack.

But, and they won't admit admit this, their real passion is hating UNC with the consuming fire of a thousand suns. I dread hearing about this over Thanksgiving. It's probably all they'll talk about, especially when, on the same day, an NC State freshman hoops player was ruled ineligible for, gasp, taking a single class at Ohio State in May.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 12:27 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
10-13-2017 12:25 PM
Advertisement

CoachWillRob Offline
Special Teams

(10-13-2017 12:25 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  My in-laws really like NC State a lot. Season ticket holders, met the coaches and players for football, basketball, and baseball numerous times over the decades. They truly care about "their" Wolfpack.

But, and they won't admit admit this, their real passion is hating UNC with the consuming fire of a thousand suns. I dread hearing about this over Thanksgiving. It's probably all they'll talk about, especially when, on the same day, an NC State freshman hoops player was ruled ineligible for, gasp, taking a single class at Ohio State in May.

I do find it funny that ncstate fans get more pleasure from a loss of a rival then their own success, kinda sad ... I guess maybe cause they don't have much success.

But in all seriousness. I feel like the university or maybe department should be punished for giving easy class, although every university has different academic standards. So not sure how you can punish the athletics in this situation unless it was offered to give just athletes an edge.
10-13-2017 12:49 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-13-2017 12:49 PM)CoachWillRob Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 12:25 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  My in-laws really like NC State a lot. Season ticket holders, met the coaches and players for football, basketball, and baseball numerous times over the decades. They truly care about "their" Wolfpack.

I do find it funny that ncstate fans get more pleasure from a loss of a rival then their own success, kinda sad ... I guess maybe cause they don't have much success.

But in all seriousness. I feel like the university or maybe department should be punished for giving easy class, although every university has different academic standards. So not sure how you can punish the athletics in this situation unless it was offered to give just athletes an edge.

I don't know. I've had really terrible AState days brightened by turning on the television and finding the pigs lost by 45,000 points again.

I've also felt a twinge of joy whenever I check a score and find App State losing.

Does that make me a terrible person? Probably. But its still hard to underestimate the hate one has for a rival.
10-13-2017 01:03 PM
SpeedkingATL Offline
Special Teams

The Teflon Tarheels. It does certainly bring their academic standards into question rather found guilty or not.
10-13-2017 01:04 PM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
The NCAA is a hindrance to the P5's ability to maximize profits in football and basketball. The UNC AD during the time of these classes happens to be the ACC Commissioner now. In order to keep the status quo, I expect the lack of punishment may be due to the power of the individual that was at the head of the program who broke NCAA rules; an individual that could likely make the push against the current structure of the NCAA louder and more pronounced among the P5 conferences to break away from the NCAA.
10-13-2017 01:06 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

(10-13-2017 10:53 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  I'm not okay with the NCAA punishing a sports team for something a rogue professor or department does.

They had secretaries grading papers....give me a break. The secretary admitted not even reading the entire paper and always gave out high grades, get out here with that nonsense. We are not doing what they did not even close, oh when we do or even close we get hammered. We got nailed for some chick taking a few online quizes for players that played in like one game. Also unless things have changed at GS every single athlete I had a class with had to have the professor sign something saying they were in class and passing.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 01:50 PM by JCGSU.)
10-13-2017 01:48 PM
Advertisement

southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
Why did these classes exist at a self proclaimed public ivy? I don't know all the details since the investigation went on for so many years, but the fact that the department even existed raises concerns. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

I think the college sports nation will continue to doubt the ruling. The "Carolina Way" will be associated with this investigation for decades even though they were cleared.

UNC alum, including many in my family are celebrating today, but they have to understand the perception of UNC has been tarnished, and there is now even more widespread resentment. Will UNC now become more hated than Duke?
10-13-2017 01:52 PM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
UNCAA
10-13-2017 02:07 PM
NeptunianEmp Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NM State Aggies!
(10-13-2017 01:52 PM)southcharlotteapp Wrote:  Why did these classes exist at a self proclaimed public ivy? I don't know all the details since the investigation went on for so many years, but the fact that the department even existed raises concerns. It just doesn't pass the smell test.

I think the college sports nation will continue to doubt the ruling. The "Carolina Way" will be associated with this investigation for decades even though they were cleared.

UNC alum, including many in my family are celebrating today, but they have to understand the perception of UNC has been tarnished, and there is now even more widespread resentment. Will UNC now become more hated than Duke?

To be fair there are a lot of really stupid classes that are in universities nowadays.
10-13-2017 02:18 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(10-13-2017 01:48 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  

They had secretaries grading papers....give me a break. The secretary admitted not even reading the entire paper and always gave out high grades, get out here with that nonsense. We are not doing what they did not even close, oh when we do or even close we get hammered. We got nailed for some chick taking a few online quizes for players that played in like one game. Also unless things have changed at GS every single athlete I had a class with had to have the professor sign something saying they were in class and passing.

I'm not saying that these courses were not a complete joke, JDC.

As far as I know, there's no proof the athletic department knew that these kids were getting As for turning in a paragraph from Wikipedia about Rosa Parks.

They were simply doing what most every DI athletics department does...trying to find the easiest way for an athlete to earn whatever kind of credit they need to stay eligible and (maybe) graduate.

I don't know how you really justify handing out punishment here without the NCAA basically getting into the territory of policing academic rigor in individual academic departments.
10-13-2017 02:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.