Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

More coaches & shoe company guys "to be charged later this month"?
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
More coaches & shoe company guys "to be charged later this month"?
This month.

And the season doesn't start until next month...

'Tip of the iceberg': More charges expected this month in college basketball scandal

Quote:Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

“This is the tip of the iceberg,” one of them said.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.

Already, some coaches at schools not linked to the first round of charges have retained attorneys. A sense of unease permeates the sport during a time usually filled with optimism because the season opens next month.
10-12-2017 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: More coaches & shoe company guys "to be charged later this month"?
Some of these coaches are probably looking like Ted Stryker at this point:

[Image: giphy.gif]
10-12-2017 04:59 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-12-2017 04:59 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Some of these coaches are probably looking like Ted Stryker at this point:

[Image: giphy.gif]

Well will they be flying missions over Drambuie when the FBI is through with them? Maybe if they can't afford Kahlua?
10-12-2017 06:43 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
Part of me is hoping this nukes the whole system.

I may be in a strong minority but the whole thing has become a farce riddled with corruption peddling kids with no real use to a league that no value to society.
10-12-2017 08:09 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-12-2017 08:09 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Part of me is hoping this nukes the whole system.

I may be in a strong minority but the whole thing has become a farce riddled with corruption peddling kids with no real use to a league that no value to society.

I don't think you are in the minority. This is what needs to happen when things get so out of kilter. It will be healthy for all sports if this one becomes HDS (hammered dog sh**). It will shock football back into a compliance if the FBI doesn't as the sequel. And it should help the drunken schools lush with cash to sober up.

We'll see.
10-12-2017 08:34 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(10-12-2017 08:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-12-2017 08:09 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Part of me is hoping this nukes the whole system.

I don't think you are in the minority. This is what needs to happen when things get so out of kilter. It will be healthy for all sports if this one becomes HDS (hammered dog sh**). It will shock football back into a compliance if the FBI doesn't as the sequel. And it should help the drunken schools lush with cash to sober up.

We'll see.

I am hoping the FBI investigation includes college football as well.

I think that it will.
10-13-2017 07:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
it just takes a nudge to knock momentum off coarse. The NCAA is structured to divert the planet killers.
10-13-2017 08:43 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-13-2017 08:43 AM)Dasville Wrote:  it just takes a nudge to knock momentum off coarse. The NCAA is structured to divert the planet killers.

The NCAA is a paper tiger. The FBI has teeth.
10-13-2017 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(10-13-2017 07:47 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

We'll see.

I think that it will.

I think it's more difficult for the FBI to get into football based on what they have looked into so far (that we know of).

There's a whole ecosystem around one-and-done basketball players that appears to be the FBI's focus. The shoe companies and agents pay the one-and-done kid's family now because he'll turn pro in less than a year, they pay the assistant coach to keep an eye on the kid and sniff out approaches from rival agents or companies, and the assistant coach gets to be the hero recruiter who delivers a 5-star recruit to his famous head coach, who is also collecting a seven-figure payment every year from the same shoe company.

Football requires a larger volume of recruiting by more coaches, the impact of each recruit is not as great as in basketball, the shoe companies and agents don't funnel as much money to recruits because each of them has to play college football for at least 3 years before turning pro and 3 years is a much longer time both for maintaining the athlete's commitment to the agent and shoe company and for seeing if the athlete will turn out to be a top draft choice. I suspect that it's more common for agents, shoe guys, and other vultures to descend on college football players only when they're within a year or so of turning pro and have confirmed their top draft status, as they did with Reggie Bush.
10-13-2017 11:07 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-13-2017 11:07 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

We'll see.

I think that it will.

I think it's more difficult for the FBI to get into football based on what they have looked into so far (that we know of).

There's a whole ecosystem around one-and-done basketball players that appears to be the FBI's focus. The shoe companies and agents pay the one-and-done kid's family now because he'll turn pro in less than a year, they pay the assistant coach to keep an eye on the kid and sniff out approaches from rival agents or companies, and the assistant coach gets to be the hero recruiter who delivers a 5-star recruit to his famous head coach, who is also collecting a seven-figure payment every year from the same shoe company.

Football requires a larger volume of recruiting by more coaches, the impact of each recruit is not as great as in basketball, the shoe companies and agents don't funnel as much money to recruits because each of them has to play college football for at least 3 years before turning pro and 3 years is a much longer time both for maintaining the athlete's commitment to the agent and shoe company and for seeing if the athlete will turn out to be a top draft choice. I suspect that it's more common for agents, shoe guys, and other vultures to descend on college football players only when they're within a year or so of turning pro and have confirmed their top draft status, as they did with Reggie Bush.

I understand. I will continue to hope that the FBI investigation includes college football as well.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017 12:08 PM by TerryD.)
10-13-2017 12:07 PM
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

TerryD I do not want to state the obvious but I will since no one else will........

That you lost to the FBI does not make them strong.

That you respect the FBI does not mean they should be respected.

The NCAA is a failure today in many people's eyes for a reason.

At one time your argument was strong.

All anybody wants is to play on an even playing field.

That's all.
10-13-2017 12:21 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(10-13-2017 12:21 PM)Dasville Wrote:  TerryD I do not want to state the obvious but I will since no one else will........

That's all.

Well clearly not Louisville... 07-coffee3
10-13-2017 12:50 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(10-13-2017 12:21 PM)Dasville Wrote:  TerryD I do not want to state the obvious but I will since no one else will........

Who do you think "lost to the FBI"?

Do you have a reason to not respect the FBI?

I can't find the part where Terry made an argument. Can you point it out?

I'm not sure anybody really wants an even playing field. They just want it tilted more in their favor.

That's all.
10-13-2017 01:10 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(10-13-2017 11:07 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

We'll see.

I think that it will.

There was an article about a couple of weeks ago from Oregon describing how the Duck's football got caught doing the same thing with a football player, and look were they went when they got sanctions? Football is riddle with this as well. That article mentioned that it could trickle to football as well. I would not be surprise.
10-13-2017 01:43 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

That's all.

I didn't lose anything, I was in the clear. I had not committed a crime, but got to see the FBI in action. The Louisiana state senator they were investigating rightly got 41 months in Federal prison.

I want an even playing field too.

That is why I want the bribers and others to be indicted, as many of them as possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2017 09:04 AM by TerryD.)
10-14-2017 09:02 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(10-14-2017 09:02 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

That's all.

I didn't lose anything, I was in the clear. I had not committed a crime, but got to see the FBI in action. The Louisiana state senator they were investigating rightly got 41 months in Federal prison.

I want an even playing field too.

That is why I want the bribers and others to be indicted, as many of them as possible.

Fair enough and I meant no harm. I am not a fan of the FBI for several reasons. I'm just not impressed with authority figures. I feel fortunate that UofL is in the ACC and knowing some former ND people, I feel fortunate that we can talk smack.
On many fronts I am agitated these days. My bad!
But these times are what these forums are for.
04-cheers
10-14-2017 01:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.