KENT
10-08-2017 09:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Post week 6 rankings
Weather out in DeKalb was awful conditions yesterday. Both defenses just played the run, for obvious reasons. Both teams turned over the ball too many times. Hopefully Kent can get some offense going, they play pretty solid defense.
10-08-2017 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(10-08-2017 10:21 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Weather out in DeKalb was awful conditions yesterday. Both defenses just played the run, for obvious reasons. Both teams turned over the ball too many times. Hopefully Kent can get some offense going, they play pretty solid defense.

I'll post my rankings either later today or sometime this week.

But Snoopy, do you still think firing Carey is the way to go? Seems like you guys are still a threat in the West. Not as clear cut as UT this year or WMU last year, but still a contender. What if you fire Carey and the next coach is worse? Carey was also able to turn you guys around last year after a horrid start. Lot of season to be played, but I think some of the 'fire carey' is exaggerated. Obviously he's no Dave Doreen, but firing him may not be the best move either. He's lost some games that were in NIU's reach, though.
10-08-2017 12:45 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
Really surprised at EMU's struggles ... and still wondering if Akron is for real (2-0 MAC) or not (vs. BG. BSU)??
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 02:27 PM by cleveland.)
10-08-2017 01:02 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Massey Composite
49 Toledo
51 WMU
68 NIU
85 Ohio
86 Akron
87 UB
96 EMU
101 Miami
105 CMU
115 BGSU
118 BSU
119 KSU
10-08-2017 01:38 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-08-2017 12:45 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 10:21 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Weather out in DeKalb was awful conditions yesterday. Both defenses just played the run, for obvious reasons. Both teams turned over the ball too many times. Hopefully Kent can get some offense going, they play pretty solid defense.

I'll post my rankings either later today or sometime this week.

But Snoopy, do you still think firing Carey is the way to go? Seems like you guys are still a threat in the West. Not as clear cut as UT this year or WMU last year, but still a contender. What if you fire Carey and the next coach is worse? Carey was also able to turn you guys around last year after a horrid start. Lot of season to be played, but I think some of the 'fire carey' is exaggerated. Obviously he's no Dave Doreen, but firing him may not be the best move either. He's lost some games that were in NIU's reach, though.

As long as the program continues to get better I'm sure he won't get fired but I also don't think we should give him an extension. He had the program trajectory heading in the wrong direction. If he starts Santa and Huff against Boston College we win and if he keeps running the ball against SDSU we win that game as well. He's made some bad moves over his tenure and his recruiting is just now getting better. Let's see how the season plays out first. He absolutely needs to win a bowl game this year. We have played awful in the postseason under his watch.
10-08-2017 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Last Week:
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:
1.) That third tier is a crapshoot. The whole BGSU beat Miami, Miami beat CMU, CMU beat Ohio really muddies the waters. I thought Miami's L to BGSU is pretty bad though, and CMU's L to Miami in turn shows CMU isn't quite in that 2nd tier themselves. Ohio remains in that second tier, though.

2.) Looks like Ball St's season is done (Sorry Cardinals!). Unfortunately for them and BGSU, they don't play each other this season.

3.) Until Toledo gets that second loss, they're gonna be that team-to-beat.

4.) WMU moves up because - despite giving up 70 to WMU - UB looks like a legit East contender with that D.

5.) Akron remains in the middle-of-the-pack because I'm not convinced their 2 MAC wins were against quality opponents. Kudos to them, though, for not blowing those games.

6.) EMU has been dropping in my rankings each week. Creighton needs to turn this season around ASAP. I think too much cool-aid was being drinken.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2017 03:57 PM by Bronco'14.)
10-08-2017 03:54 PM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-08-2017 03:54 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  Last Week:
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:
1.) That third tier is a crapshoot. The whole BGSU beat Miami, Miami beat CMU, CMU beat Ohio really muddies the waters. I thought Miami's L to BGSU is pretty bad though, and CMU's L to Miami in turn shows CMU isn't quite in that 2nd tier themselves. Ohio remains in that second tier, though.

2.) Looks like Ball St's season is done (Sorry Cardinals!). Unfortunately for them and BGSU, they don't play each other this season.

4.) WMU moves up because - despite giving up 70 to WMU - UB looks like a legit East contender with that D.

5.) Akron remains in the middle-of-the-pack because I'm not convinced their 2 MAC wins were against quality opponents. Kudos to them, though, for not blowing those games.

6.) EMU has been dropping in my rankings each week. Creighton needs to turn this season around ASAP. I think too much cool-aid was being drinken.

To be fair, EMU has lost to Ohio and Toledo, 2 teams at the top of the listing, and both were close games.
10-08-2017 04:32 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Toledo
NIU

WMU
EMU
Ohio
Buffalo
Akron

CMU
Miami

BGSU
Kent State
Ball State
10-08-2017 04:37 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
Toledo

WMU
NIU
CMU
Miami
UB
OU
EMU
Akron

KENT
BSU
BG

I don't see a real way to separate that middle pack. A bunch of teams beat up on each other. WMU and NIU seem like they belong in the middle. Also it's worth mentioning CMU got its top WR and TE back. Solid chance of beating UT next week since they are without their top WR.
10-08-2017 09:25 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-08-2017 01:02 PM)cleveland Wrote:  Really surprised at EMU's struggles ... and still wondering if Akron is for real (2-0 MAC) or not (vs. BG. BSU)??

I'm not.

We knew LONG before the season started that EMU faced twin obstacles:

1). A very green OL. Last year it was very experienced and good, but those players have graduated.

2). Very tough schedule run: Rutgers, Ohio, Kentucky, Toledo... (Army and WMU next).

The DL has been every bit as good as hoped. We play Army which, obviously, loves to go over land, not air, and that plays into our strength.
10-09-2017 05:11 AM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
CMU struggles during the 3 game slide were clearly a result of injuries and no experience with the young wrs. Our TE conklin was back and scored 2 TD's vs Ohio. Also our senior wr willis is back and although used primarily as a decoy to get conklin open I think he will see more touches vs Toledo. The Oline is doing much better in this scheme and when the primary receiving corp is present Morris has been solid. I am not saying CMU is a contender in the west but I think we will make it interesting.
10-09-2017 06:33 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 06:33 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  CMU struggles during the 3 game slide were clearly a result of injuries and no experience with the young wrs. Our TE conklin was back and scored 2 TD's vs Ohio. Also our senior wr willis is back and although used primarily as a decoy to get conklin open I think he will see more touches vs Toledo. The Oline is doing much better in this scheme and when the primary receiving corp is present Morris has been solid. I am not saying CMU is a contender in the west but I think we will make it interesting.

It's hard for other fans to follow other teams. You could look at our schedule and think "they aren't that good", which would be fair. But the fact that our top 2 receiving threats have been out is a big deal. Conklin is a game changer. Having him back along with Willis is huge.
10-09-2017 08:26 AM
Roberto Gato Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio, Ohio and Ohio
(10-08-2017 04:32 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:

To be fair, EMU has lost to Ohio and Toledo, 2 teams at the top of the listing, and both were close games.

Yes, but I would say that EMUs offense has been a complete disaster after high expectations just as Ohio's pass defense has been. I can't believe how little they're producing.
10-09-2017 09:34 AM
NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-09-2017 09:34 AM)Roberto Gato Wrote:  
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:

Yes, but I would say that EMUs offense has been a complete disaster after high expectations just as Ohio's pass defense has been. I can't believe how little they're producing.

True, but I don't think most would have thought their defense would be as solid as it has. With a disappointing offense and still keeping games that close... overall it isn't too bad even though the offense is worse than predicted. Our game against EMU might end up with a final score of 3-0.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 10:17 AM by NIU007.)
10-09-2017 10:17 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(10-09-2017 10:17 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:

True, but I don't think most would have thought their defense would be as solid as it has. With a disappointing offense and still keeping games that close... overall it isn't too bad even though the offense is worse than predicted. Our game against EMU might end up with a final score of 3-0.

Indeed.

One thing folks need to keep in mind is how OT can badly skew scoring stats (just ask the DCs at WMU and UB).

Obviously, if a team always started their drives at their opponents 25 they'd score points like a basketball team, not a football team.

Assuming we could return to the days of ties, EMU would have given up 7, 13, 13, 24, and 20 points vs. the likes of Charlotte, Rutgers, Ohio, Kentucky, and Toledo.

That is pretty good for a team which plays in a conference known for its MACtion. :)
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 11:55 AM by emu steve.)
10-09-2017 11:54 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
(10-09-2017 11:54 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 10:17 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
Toledo
-----
Ohio
Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan
Western Michigan
Buffalo
------
Miami of Ohio
Central Michigan
Ball St
Akron
------
Kent St
Bowling Green St

This Week:
Toledo
-------
Western Michigan
Ohio
Northern Illinois
---------
Buffalo
Central Michigan
Akron
Eastern Michigan
Miami of Ohio
---------
Ball St
Bowling Green St
Kent St

Okay, few items:

Indeed.

One thing folks need to keep in mind is how OT can badly skew scoring stats (just ask the DCs at WMU and UB).

Obviously, if a team always started their drives at their opponents 25 they'd score points like a basketball team, not a football team.

Assuming we could return to the days of ties, EMU would have given up 7, 13, 13, 24, and 20 points vs. the likes of Charlotte, Rutgers, Ohio, Kentucky, and Toledo.

That is pretty good for a team which plays in a conference known for its MACtion. :)
Keep tooting that horn... No Cody thompson (2nd best player in MAC), no terry swanson (9th best player in MAC). Add the fact that Thompson holds and our holder was guessing at spots... we missed 3 FG's ta boot. A lucky outcome for EMU is a 5 point loss to Toledo. Offenses beat Toledo. Most noteably RUN offenses. WMU will have a field day against us.
10-09-2017 12:17 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Good lord, you are insufferable. The guys who replaced Swanson did really well. Your system, and the talent that you recruit, keep the train plugging right along even when you lose starters to injuries. Can't just admit that it was a close game that you almost lost. I hope Toledo does well the rest of the way, despite it's atrocious fan base.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 01:51 PM by EagleSam.)
10-09-2017 01:50 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

(10-09-2017 01:50 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Good lord, you are insufferable. The guys who replaced Swanson did really well. Your system, and the talent that you recruit, keep the train plugging right along even when you lose starters to injuries. Can't just admit that it was a close game that you almost lost. I hope Toledo does well the rest of the way, despite it's atrocious fan base.

While EMU does have a good defense, you cannot deny the fact that Toledo was without the MAC's best offensive player and that hurt their offense. They were also missing their starting DE, RG, and RB.

So yes, EMU played spirited, but I think it was clear UT would have probably won by another TD or so.
10-09-2017 02:12 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(10-09-2017 02:12 PM)george14 Wrote:  
(10-09-2017 01:50 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Good lord, you are insufferable. The guys who replaced Swanson did really well. Your system, and the talent that you recruit, keep the train plugging right along even when you lose starters to injuries. Can't just admit that it was a close game that you almost lost. I hope Toledo does well the rest of the way, despite it's atrocious fan base.

While EMU does have a good defense, you cannot deny the fact that Toledo was without the MAC's best offensive player and that hurt their offense. They were also missing their starting DE, RG, and RB.

So yes, EMU played spirited, but I think it was clear UT would have probably won by another TD or so.

Logan Woodside didn't play? I must have missed that.

We were missing a starting DT (one of our best run stuffers) and have virtually no TE's left on the roster due to injury except for a freshman. One of which was a very stout blocker last year that would've greatly aided our inexperienced OL this season. Every team has injuries. The "ifs and buts" are great too. If our coach just let our QB punt every time (as weird as that sounds), we might have won the game.

They won, and we lost. I get that. I just can't stand the high horse mentality that they should have won by more. They didn't, and our defense had a lot to do with it. Whatever helps them sleep at night, I guess.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2017 02:33 PM by EagleSam.)
10-09-2017 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.