Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Ad Revenue estimates are lower than sports rights fees
From Awful Announcing...

Sports rights have now soared about estimated ad revenue

Fascinating stuff.

The NBA and MLB are especially egregious violators and this really calls into question whether or not rights fees will continue to grow. The sports bubble certainly looks real from this angle.

Also take into account the statement at the end of the article about the aging population of sports fans...
09-22-2017 04:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Ad Revenue estimates are lower than sports rights fees
(09-22-2017 04:34 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  From Awful Announcing...

Fascinating stuff.

The NBA and MLB are especially egregious violators and this really calls into question whether or not rights fees will continue to grow. The sports bubble certainly looks real from this angle.

Also take into account the statement at the end of the article about the aging population of sports fans...

The article, after showing the charts for the rights fees paid vs ad revenue comparison, talked about how the subscription fee also had to factor into the rights fees being paid to these sports leagues. There is still a greater need to justify distribution demand vs settling for a fair or market value rights fee agreed to.

I would watch the NYC market negotiations on cable fees to see what the future looks like; this is the reason why College Football Game Day's show is going up there this weekend to show that the tristate region is not just huge NFL fans.
09-22-2017 11:49 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(09-22-2017 11:49 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Fascinating stuff.

The article, after showing the charts for the rights fees paid vs ad revenue comparison, talked about how the subscription fee also had to factor into the rights fees being paid to these sports leagues. There is still a greater need to justify distribution demand vs settling for a fair or market value rights fee agreed to.

I would watch the NYC market negotiations on cable fees to see what the future looks like; this is the reason why College Football Game Day's show is going up there this weekend to show that the tristate region is not just huge NFL fans.

Those cable subs might not be as reliable over time.

Eventually, the networks will switch to primarily streaming and the cable companies will help facilitate that I'm sure. When it happens, there's still a question over how much money these subs will generate.

What I took from the article is that we've pretty much reached the peak for rights fees. Right now, the economics support the money going out, but that may not be the case in the long run.
09-22-2017 12:34 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(09-22-2017 12:34 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(09-22-2017 11:49 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Fascinating stuff.

Those cable subs might not be as reliable over time.

Eventually, the networks will switch to primarily streaming and the cable companies will help facilitate that I'm sure. When it happens, there's still a question over how much money these subs will generate.

What I took from the article is that we've pretty much reached the peak for rights fees. Right now, the economics support the money going out, but that may not be the case in the long run.

While I agree that rights fees are nearing peak, content value is one way to push beyond it safely. So with the exception of gaining control over Texas's main state schools and the Oklahoma's which have a great deal of influence in DFW, I don't see a market approach to our further realignment outside of content. At least with Oklahoma State you get a school that is just one step below a top notch contender, and a middler in Texas Tech. So from a content perspective they aren't bad, and in their own region are a draw.

But getting big increases for new contracts is probably at an end.
09-22-2017 12:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.