Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who is the star player on each team in 2017-18?
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Who is the star player on each team in 2017-18?
Quote:There might not be a conference with a more bizarre story of its transformation than the Western Athletic Conference.

Regardless of their standing, there’s still some great basketball being played and even better players making noise in the WAC college basketball world.

The WAC has had an incredible history as a conference, becoming one of the better sports conferences in the 80’s and 90’s. In fact, just about every single team that has played in the Mountain West Conference over the past two decades has originally come from the WAC.

The primary issue has always been stability, with every few years a couple of teams leaving for greener pastures. For some time, the conference has been able to adequately replace a good program with a school that either had quality athletics or a market to use.

In 2011, however, the massive realignment that happened in football changed everything, causing more teams to move around, making it harder for the WAC to legitimately find schools that made sense. Ultimately, the conference had to disband football entirely after 2013, focusing solely on basketball in the revenue business.

Despite the drama that has surrounded the WAC, the basketball product is in good shape. New Mexico State has become the standard-bearer of the conference despite losing their head coach. Schools like Seattle and Utah Valley have an entertaining style of play. And now you have Grand Canyon and Cal State Bakersfield looking to take the top of the throne.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...m-2017-18/

It's a slide show, so I provided a link to each players slide, which talks about them and their team.

Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners – JR Damiyen Durham

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/2/

Chicago State Cougars – SR Fred Sims Jr

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/3/

Grand Canyon Antelopes – SR Joshua Braun

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/4/

University of Missouri at Kansas City – SO Isaiah Ross

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/5/

New Mexico State Aggies – JR Sidy N’Dir

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/6/

Seattle Redhawks – JR Aaron Menzies

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/7/

Texas Rio Grande Valley Vaqueros – SR Nick Dixon

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/8/

Utah Valley Wolverines – Isaac Neilson

https://bustingbrackets.com/2017/09/12/w...2017-18/9/
09-18-2017 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
RE: Who is the star player on each team in 2017-18?
I disagree with NMSU. Eli Chuha by far.
09-18-2017 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I'm a little surprised they pick Sidy Ndir for NMSU. The easier pick would've been Eli Chuha since he lead the team in rebounding and has been relatively healthy throughout his career. Sidy is more a high risk, high reward players. He is very talented but he plays with a reckless abandon style which has sidelined him multiple games in his last two seasons. Other than being generously listed at 6'2, there is not much that limits Sidy's game. He is a highly skilled lefty who can score at all three levels. He has a very quick first step and can elevate well above the rim when attacking the basket. I honestly think NMSU has three players who could vie for the WAC POTY... Sidy Ndir, Eli Chuha, and Zach Lofton... with AJ Harris being a darkhorse wildcard.

On a side note, this article is well written but one error I did noticed in Isaac Neilson's evaluation is the writer is confusing JC transfer Conner Toolson with BYU transfer Jake Toolson; who sat out last season. Conner Toolson has the unique history of playing for the Nation's #1 ranked high school team (Lone Peak HS; according to MaxPrep) and the NJCAA Championship team (Salt Lake CC) in successive seasons; that's before UVU finished 5th in the WAC last season.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 06:46 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
09-18-2017 06:21 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
Aaron Menzies or Richaurd Gittens for SU. I think Gittens might end up being the focus of the offense, more than Menzies who will be primarily used for defense and rebounding
09-18-2017 08:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-18-2017 08:28 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Aaron Menzies or Richaurd Gittens for SU. I think Gittens might end up being the focus of the offense, more than Menzies who will be primarily used for defense and rebounding

Just curious, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but why do you feel Richaud Gittens is Seattle's best player? His best season was his sophomore year (9 ppg) at a school which I do not consider much better than half the WAC programs. I think Seattle has better talent in Means and Kavas. Even, Jordan Hill might be better than Gittens given he went up against better competition at Wisconsin on a daily basis.

Ultimately, this is a transition year for Seattle U. as the program will get its' big bump in talent next season with the additions of Jones, Carter, McDowell, Huun, and Owies. Delante Jones should be the Redhawk's best player next season.
09-18-2017 09:32 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(09-18-2017 09:32 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 08:28 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  Aaron Menzies or Richaurd Gittens for SU. I think Gittens might end up being the focus of the offense, more than Menzies who will be primarily used for defense and rebounding

Just curious, I don't necessarily disagree with you, but why do you feel Richaud Gittens is Seattle's best player? His best season was his sophomore year (9 ppg) at a school which I do not consider much better than half the WAC programs. I think Seattle has better talent in Means and Kavas. Even, Jordan Hill might be better than Gittens given he went up against better competition at Wisconsin on a daily basis.

Ultimately, this is a transition year for Seattle U. as the program will get its' big bump in talent next season with the additions of Jones, Carter, McDowell, Huun, and Owies. Delante Jones should be the Redhawk's best player next season.

Hayford runs a 3-point focused offense and Gittens has a career 39% from long range. Kavas is someone who easily could be that guy too, though
09-19-2017 03:39 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(09-19-2017 03:39 AM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 09:32 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Hayford runs a 3-point focused offense and Gittens has a career 39% from long range. Kavas is someone who easily could be that guy too, though

OK, I understand your reasoning. Eventually, Hayford will have Seattle playing a high scoring style with multiple 3-point threats. But right now, I'm not sure his current personnel fit that eventual style. Presently, Seattle's three point shooting ability is not much better than the rest of the WAC. Also, if Menzies is going to play meaningful minutes this season, Hayford will need to slow the tempo to fit Menzies' conditioning and physical capabilities. NMSU went through a similar situation when we had Sim Bhullar patrolling the paint.
09-19-2017 04:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.