Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Access Bowl
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Access Bowl
Hard to believe most teams have played 25% of their schedule (3 of 12 games).

How does Toledo rank with other G5 teams? Who is the team to beat?

Does it all come crashing down Saturday in Miami (FL) or do they pull a big upset and keep the dreams alive?
09-17-2017 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Access Bowl
USF is already ranked and San Diego St will probably be ranked after their win over a ranked Stanford. Memphis and Toledo will be in the others receiving votes but my guess is they give Memphis more votes than Toledo.
09-17-2017 07:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I did think of USF. Just wasn't sure about what is happening on the West Coast.

So USF, SDSU and Memphis and Toledo are probably the top four?

BTW, this game could be difficult for Miami. According to this they hadn't practiced for I believe almost 10 days (and missed two straight games). This has to be very, very difficult for them.

Toledo is in mid-season form.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/tea...hurricanes

"3dAndrea Adelson
Miami to practice in Orlando due to storm
The entire Miami football team is scheduled to arrive in Orlando on Friday as it prepares for its game against Toledo on Sept. 23, but practice dates have yet to be determined. Miami has not practiced since Sept. 6."
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 07:34 AM by emu steve.)
09-17-2017 07:28 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Toledo again has a high octane offense but I am not convinced that the O-line is as good as the ones of the preceding 3-4 years. This year the O-line can certainly get the job done against most teams on the schedule but unlike the preceding several years I don't think they can hold their own again top level competition like former O-lines were able to do against teams like Arkansas or Missouri (in 2013) ----or produce NFL linemen like those O-lines did----a clearer picture should emerge after the Miami game this week as the Canes have a very good defense. Likewise the Rocket defense is serviceable for most games on the schedule, but I am not sure it is going be good enough to even win the MAC West and thoughts of the Access Bowl are very, very premature. The 2015 Toledo defense was good enough to have competitively played against top level competition in an access bowl but alas they experienced the annual Toledo November meltdown and could not even win the MAC West although they did have a nice bowl win against a ranked Temple team. I am guessing that the Access Bowl G5 rep this year will come from the AAC conference ----- probably an Diego State or South Florida
09-17-2017 08:07 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(09-17-2017 08:07 AM)T-Town Wrote:  Toledo again has a high octane offense but I am not convinced that the O-line is as good as the ones of the preceding 3-4 years. This year the O-line can certainly get the job done against most teams on the schedule but unlike the preceding several years I don't think they can hold their own again top level competition like former O-lines were able to do against teams like Arkansas or Missouri (in 2013) ----or produce NFL linemen like those O-lines did----a clearer picture should emerge after the Miami game this week as the Canes have a very good defense. Likewise the Rocket defense is serviceable for most games on the schedule, but I am not sure it is going be good enough to even win the MAC West and thoughts of the Access Bowl are very, very premature. The 2015 Toledo defense was good enough to have competitively played against top level competition in an access bowl but alas they experienced the annual Toledo November meltdown and could not even win the MAC West although they did have a nice bowl win against a ranked Temple team. I am guessing that the Access Bowl G5 rep this year will come from the AAC conference ----- probably an Diego State or South Florida

Ha ha.
09-17-2017 08:11 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-17-2017 08:11 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 08:07 AM)T-Town Wrote:  Toledo again has a high octane offense but I am not convinced that the O-line is as good as the ones of the preceding 3-4 years. This year the O-line can certainly get the job done against most teams on the schedule but unlike the preceding several years I don't think they can hold their own again top level competition like former O-lines were able to do against teams like Arkansas or Missouri (in 2013) ----or produce NFL linemen like those O-lines did----a clearer picture should emerge after the Miami game this week as the Canes have a very good defense. Likewise the Rocket defense is serviceable for most games on the schedule, but I am not sure it is going be good enough to even win the MAC West and thoughts of the Access Bowl are very, very premature. The 2015 Toledo defense was good enough to have competitively played against top level competition in an access bowl but alas they experienced the annual Toledo November meltdown and could not even win the MAC West although they did have a nice bowl win against a ranked Temple team. I am guessing that the Access Bowl G5 rep this year will come from the AAC conference ----- probably an Diego State or South Florida

Ha ha.
Sorry I rushed that post off ---should have stated "from the AAC (South Florida) or MW (San Diego State)"-----thanks for (sort of) pointing out the error
09-17-2017 02:16 PM
Advertisement

Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Too bad NIU couldn't pull it out against BC, if they did that and beat SDSU next week they'd be right there in the running.

Also worth noting that EMU has a theoretical chance with them being 2-0, however small that may be.
09-17-2017 03:04 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
If Toledo beats now 1-0 Miami... We know the media will blame it on lack of product to base their 1-0 15th ranked mark and Huricane Irma. Toledo still didnt receive votes and will only pick up 100 or so if we win this week.
09-17-2017 03:12 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-17-2017 03:04 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Too bad NIU couldn't pull it out against BC, if they did that and beat SDSU next week they'd be right there in the running.

Also worth noting that EMU has a theoretical chance with them being 2-0, however small that may be.

Yeah, I'm hoping for an Access Bowl bid until we lose a game. 03-drunk

In some seasons, that occurred before Labor Day. 03-banghead
09-17-2017 03:32 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

(09-17-2017 03:04 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Too bad NIU couldn't pull it out against BC, if they did that and beat SDSU next week they'd be right there in the running.

BC was a bad loss and if we start Santa instead of Graham at QB we probably win. Graham had a 41% completion rate that game due to constantly underthrowing and overthrowing his receivers all game. Carey had no choice but to play Santa these past two weeks because Graham was injured. Let's see if he's smart and keeps playing the right QB or goes back to Ryan Graham after our bye week.
09-17-2017 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Right now, one can't really tell. It's Conf Champ Only. South Florida will obviously have to play Memphis for that, so only one of them can be a true contender. And of course Houston could be in that dogfight too of course.

SD-State -- if they get upset by NIU, and Toledo goes undefeated and beats Miami-FL too -- they'll be a legit contender.

Way too early to put any stock in who's above who. It's more like who's eliminated and who's not.
09-17-2017 04:12 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-17-2017 04:12 PM)toddjnsn Wrote:  Right now, one can't really tell. It's Conf Champ Only. South Florida will obviously have to play Memphis for that, so only one of them can be a true contender. And of course Houston could be in that dogfight too of course.

SD-State -- if they get upset by NIU, and Toledo goes undefeated and beats Miami-FL too -- they'll be a legit contender.

Way too early to put any stock in who's above who. It's more like who's eliminated and who's not.

Yep. In a sense, it is like the NCAA MBB tourney: One loss and you're done.

If EMU beats Ohio Saturday, EMU continues to strive for the Access Bowl just like a Cinderella in March Madness.
09-17-2017 04:19 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If NIU wins at San Diego St and Nebraska they are still alive. I wouldn't expect an unbeaten G5 team this year. The AAC top 5 is very evenly matched and very good. and will most likely pin a loss or 2 on everyone. MAC West looks very tricky. San Diego St only team in WMC with the schedule to maybe go unbeaten but it would probably mean beating boise twice. UTSA is still alive in CUSA and had the toughest game on their schedule cancelled with houston. they probably don't play enough competition to get the bid undefeated vs 1 loss teams out the MAC , MW or ACC.

what the wins over nebraska and rutgers and kansas and Tulsa and the way WMU played USC have done is make the MAC West legit. and Toledo and EMU have big opportunities coming up against Miami Fla and Kentucky.
09-17-2017 11:58 PM
epasnoopy Online
Diehard Huskie

CUSA and Sun Belt don't have much to hang their hats on in non-conference so far. MWC just has SDSU. Boise already has a loss after choking away the Wash St. game.

I don't see us beating SDSU. Unfortunately every time we play in San Diego we stink up the field.
09-18-2017 05:27 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-17-2017 11:58 PM)pono Wrote:  If NIU wins at San Diego St and Nebraska they are still alive. I wouldn't expect an unbeaten G5 team this year. The AAC top 5 is very evenly matched and very good. and will most likely pin a loss or 2 on everyone. MAC West looks very tricky. San Diego St only team in WMC with the schedule to maybe go unbeaten but it would probably mean beating boise twice. UTSA is still alive in CUSA and had the toughest game on their schedule cancelled with houston. they probably don't play enough competition to get the bid undefeated vs 1 loss teams out the MAC , MW or ACC.

what the wins over nebraska and rutgers and kansas and Tulsa and the way WMU played USC have done is make the MAC West legit. and Toledo and EMU have big opportunities coming up against Miami Fla and Kentucky.

One can make the case with some strong coffee and bourbon that EMU could be the MAC Access Bowl 'favorite' come Sunday morning.

If Toledo loses to Miami (FL) probable but not guaranteed, and an EMU win vs. Ohio (a 50 - 50 proposition), EMU becomes the sole undefeated MAC team.

But then Cinderella plays at Kentucky and... (it was a good run, though).
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 09:02 AM by emu steve.)
09-18-2017 09:01 AM
lance99 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron Zips
(09-18-2017 09:01 AM)emu steve Wrote:  One can make the case with some strong coffee and bourbon that EMU could be the MAC Access Bowl 'favorite' come Sunday morning.

That would be wacky to see EMU in that position04-cheers
09-18-2017 11:15 AM
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(09-18-2017 11:15 AM)lance99 Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 09:01 AM)emu steve Wrote:  One can make the case with some strong coffee and bourbon that EMU could be the MAC Access Bowl 'favorite' come Sunday morning.

It won't happen. So I wouldn't worry about it.
09-18-2017 11:34 AM
bobcat_backer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: OHIO
(09-18-2017 11:34 AM)utpotts Wrote:  

04-cheers
09-18-2017 11:44 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(09-18-2017 11:44 AM)bobcat_backer Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 11:34 AM)utpotts Wrote:  

04-cheers

Yeah, I can see the bulls eye on our backs Saturday as the Bobcats try to take us down... But it is a 50 - 50 proposition.

And a Detroit win tonight and the Super Bowl bound (maybe. Lol) Lions would face undefeated Atlanta next Sunday.

Maybe 2017 will be a wacky year in S.E. Michigan.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2017 02:04 PM by emu steve.)
09-18-2017 02:02 PM
Rocketime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(09-18-2017 09:01 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 11:58 PM)pono Wrote:  If NIU wins at San Diego St and Nebraska they are still alive. I wouldn't expect an unbeaten G5 team this year. The AAC top 5 is very evenly matched and very good. and will most likely pin a loss or 2 on everyone. MAC West looks very tricky. San Diego St only team in WMC with the schedule to maybe go unbeaten but it would probably mean beating boise twice. UTSA is still alive in CUSA and had the toughest game on their schedule cancelled with houston. they probably don't play enough competition to get the bid undefeated vs 1 loss teams out the MAC , MW or ACC.

One can make the case with some strong coffee and bourbon that EMU could be the MAC Access Bowl 'favorite' come Sunday morning.

If Toledo loses to Miami (FL) probable but not guaranteed, and an EMU win vs. Ohio (a 50 - 50 proposition), EMU becomes the sole undefeated MAC team.

But then Cinderella plays at Kentucky and... (it was a good run, though).

EMU is a 2.5 point favorite.

http://www.covers.com/odds/football/coll...-odds.aspx
09-18-2017 03:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.