Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Quick Takes UCLA-UM
Bookmark and Share
mem-x Offline
On The Downhill Run Now.

I Root For: Tigers!
Quick Takes UCLA-UM
1. Miller is elite. Possibly the best in the country.
2. UCLA will win every game where the opposition's offense can't score with them.
3. Our DBs are very young but they will hit you and are not afraid to play man press coverage
4. We cannot rush the passer consistently- so we will struggle.
5. Overall speed on D is much improved
6. We have no kicking game and it will cost us at some point this year
7. We are fun to watch
8. With a ranked P5 opponent in the house nationally televised, exciting game, a TON of people left at halftime ... we are what we are. (Fan-wise, that is).
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 08:13 PM by mem-x.)
09-16-2017 08:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Quick Takes UCLA-UM
(09-16-2017 08:06 PM)mem-x Wrote:  1. Miller is elite. Possibly the best in the country.
2. UCLA will win every game where the opposition's offense can't score with them.
3. Our DBs are very young but they will hit you and are not afraid to play man press coverage
7. We are fun to watch
8. With a ranked P5 opponent in the house nationally televised, exciting game, a TON of people left at halftime ... we are what we are. (Fan-wise, that is).

Yep, #6 concerns me a lot. We've been spoiled at PK for a long time.
09-16-2017 09:50 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Sanity
(09-16-2017 08:06 PM)mem-x Wrote:  1. Miller is elite. Possibly the best in the country.
7. We are fun to watch

Disagree on #8.

A lot of people were in the concessions lines as halftime ended, and taking a break from the heat in the concourses. By middle of the 3rd, most of the empty seats had filled back in.

We sat up high under the visitor boxes for some shade for a while. Could see out to Hollywood and see Tiger Lane. Few people left. As hot as it was, and a 4 hour game, I was surprised more didn't leave early.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 09:59 PM by Tigx.)
09-16-2017 09:56 PM
hsvtiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Tina
7. We are fun to watch

#8 we have some SOFT fans. I guess years of sucking will deplete the hardcore fanbase. Just need to keep winning.
09-16-2017 09:59 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I have a hard time about #8. It was unbelievably hot and you can't blame some for leaving early. I had a friend in my group who was pregnant with a small child, but I guess that's no excuse huh? That's a nit picky complaint IMO.
09-16-2017 10:19 PM
Advertisement

Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2017 10:19 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  I have a hard time about #8. It was unbelievably hot and you can't blame some for leaving early. I had a friend in my group who was pregnant with a small child, but I guess that's no excuse huh? That's a nit picky complaint IMO.

I agree.

For many years, before this era where every game is on TV, the Tigers September games were at night, and then around October we would move to afternoon games. Never or almost never, did we play Thursday or Friday night games or 11:00 games. These games where TV determines the start times affect attendance, at least on the margins. And because they are on TV with no blackouts, fans can stay home and watch their team. Back in the day, for most games, if you didn't go to the LB, you waited for highlights on the local news.

Look at a picture of the Missouri game today vs. Purdue, tons of empty seats. And that's an SEC - Big 10 match up. 18 months ago Mizzou was crazy for Odom. Let's appreciate the fans who make the effort to get to the games.
09-16-2017 10:42 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I think it was more the heat than humidity today.
09-16-2017 10:58 PM
mem-x Offline
On The Downhill Run Now.

(09-16-2017 10:42 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 10:19 PM)gotigers1 Wrote:  I have a hard time about #8. It was unbelievably hot and you can't blame some for leaving early. I had a friend in my group who was pregnant with a small child, but I guess that's no excuse huh? That's a nit picky complaint IMO.

I agree.

For many years, before this era where every game is on TV, the Tigers September games were at night, and then around October we would move to afternoon games. Never or almost never, did we play Thursday or Friday night games or 11:00 games. These games where TV determines the start times affect attendance, at least on the margins. And because they are on TV with no blackouts, fans can stay home and watch their team. Back in the day, for most games, if you didn't go to the LB, you waited for highlights on the local news.

Look at a picture of the Missouri game today vs. Purdue, tons of empty seats. And that's an SEC - Big 10 match up. 18 months ago Mizzou was crazy for Odom. Let's appreciate the fans who make the effort to get to the games.

MO gets the SEC check - Purdue the B10 blood money - irrelevant if anyone shows up at all.
Watched the game after getting home to see if I was mistaken ... I was not. East side stands looked great 1st half ... lost half the f the folks in the chair backs for the 2nd. None of my business ... but if today we n't keep em in the stands .. nothing will.
09-16-2017 10:58 PM
Tigx Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2017 10:58 PM)mem-x Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 10:42 PM)Tigx Wrote:  

I agree.

MO gets the SEC check - Purdue the B10 blood money - irrelevant if anyone shows up at all.
Watched the game after getting home to see if I was mistaken ... I was not. East side stands looked great 1st half ... lost half the f the folks in the chair backs for the 2nd. None of my business ... but if today we n't keep em in the stands .. nothing will.

Huh? You are moving the goalposts. What does Mizzou or Purdue TV money have to do with you criticizing Tiger fans for allegedly leaving early? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.
09-16-2017 11:05 PM
Advertisement

mem-x Offline
On The Downhill Run Now.

The earlier poster mentioned the empty seats at that game ... I didn't bring it up - was simply replying to the earlier thought ...
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 11:13 PM by mem-x.)
09-16-2017 11:12 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I knew it was gonna be a good day when I pulled in off Southern Ave. at 8:15 and folks were already paying to park in the grass across from the MSC.
The attendants and MPD handling postgame egress were exceptional.
09-17-2017 11:12 AM
OldManTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMTigers
(09-17-2017 11:12 AM)TG4 Wrote:  I knew it was gonna be a good day when I pulled in off Southern Ave. at 8:15 and folks were already paying to park in the grass across from the MSC.
The attendants and MPD handling postgame egress were exceptionally bad.
I lived in Indianapolis and went to several Indy 500s. The police there know how to move traffic and get it done well. Roads are properly closed or turned into "one way streets" and traffic is not bottlenecked. The stadia are both in residential/business areas and the street sizes are the same. Before the game at gate 6, police/guards were only allowing one lane of traffic in and had four cars for the police/guards parked in the middle of the entrance. Basically, the police/guards were the reason traffic was backed up to Central and stuck on all sides of the intersection. They also don't know how to move pedestrian traffic and frequently held up cars for people 15 to 20 yards from the intersection. After the games (in Indy) traffic lights are turned off and the police are in the intersection, not standing on the side (e.g., at Parkway and Central) laughing about who knows what. The difference is that Indy has 160,000 fans who get out in 30 - 60 minutes and the MPD takes that long or more for only 50K. Other than the water outage inside the stadium, the day was quite smooth.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 02:38 PM by OldManTiger.)
09-17-2017 02:37 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness

Don't take a generic comment personally.

Generically, we do need to work on some fan protocols. Specifically, of course there are reasons for leaving or skipping or anything.

The idea is IF we want to be considered big time, THEN overall fans need to be aware of some common place big time college football fan norms. None of which is ignoring the idea that it was very hot so of course more people sought shade etc...

The critiques are more broad based. When we had 15k at games, fans could more easily get away with stumbling in late, getting up and down during plays, congregating in the middle of the concourse, smoking at will and more.

The IF THEN applies to those, and we could work on shoring them up. None of which means anyone should feel pressure to suffer dehydration or sit through a hurricane.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 02:46 PM by Mimi.)
09-17-2017 02:45 PM
Advertisement

T-County Tiger Offline
1st String

Quick Takes UCLA-UM
Liberty Bowl staff was totally unprepared for the heat. Took about 40 minutes just to get through gate 2 and no water readily available made it unbearable for my 3 kids. My 10 yr old puked because he got so hot standing in line to get in. I am sure the old folks had a hard time too. My wife left at halftime with my kids. I guess technically, old folks and kids are soft. My 10 yr old cried because he had to leave at the half. Think he loves Tiger football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-17-2017 02:52 PM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2017 02:45 PM)Mimi Wrote:  

Don't take a generic comment personally.

Generically, we do need to work on some fan protocols. Specifically, of course there are reasons for leaving or skipping or anything.

The idea is IF we want to be considered big time, THEN overall fans need to be aware of some common place big time college football fan norms. None of which is ignoring the idea that it was very hot so of course more people sought shade etc...

The critiques are more broad based. When we had 15k at games, fans could more easily get away with stumbling in late, getting up and down during plays, congregating in the middle of the concourse, smoking at will and more.

The IF THEN applies to those, and we could work on shoring them up. None of which means anyone should feel pressure to suffer dehydration or sit through a hurricane.

Oh grow up.
09-17-2017 09:08 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
(09-17-2017 02:52 PM)T-County Tiger Wrote:  Liberty Bowl staff was totally unprepared for the heat. Took about 40 minutes just to get through gate 2 and no water readily available made it unbearable for my 3 kids. My 10 yr old puked because he got so hot standing in line to get in. I am sure the old folks had a hard time too. My wife left at halftime with my kids. I guess technically, old folks and kids are soft. My 10 yr old cried because he had to leave at the half. Think he loves Tiger football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It has been this way for years. I would love for someone to post the telephone numbers to those in charge of the Liberty Bowl operations, the person in charge of the vendor operation, and the name and number of the person or persons responsible for the Game Day operations on Tiger Lane. I have big beefs for all of them. No. 1, I doubt any of them ever communicate with each other. The right hand is clueless about what the left hand is doing. And if I don't get their numbers on here, I WILL locate them myself.

I had a smaller problem, by far, but so frustrating because it proves several people in the University administration are not doing their jobs. For the second year at least, the Game Day presentation on GoTigersGo touts a Grill Zone on Bear Bryant Drive where you can check your cooler with a valet and you can grill out on provided grills.

For the second year in a row, I have been unable to find such a set-up, and no one in charge, neither University reps nor stadium officials I can find on game day, have ever heard of it. I walked into the Pipkin Bldg. yesterday and asked the young man in charge of the Game Day Operations if such a set-up existed, and he looked very irritated and told me he didn't know what I was talking about and said he had to go. I showed him the info on the University Game Day site, and he said, "Then I suggest you go look for it on Bear Bryant Drive." I also asked Boob Winn about it, and he was even more curt and said he had never heard of it.

So, the friends I had invited to the LB for their first Tiger Lane experience walked around with a cooler for an hour and then had to take it back to their car several blocks away.

I don't give a hoot IF the University has a Grill Zone, but it does bother me that those who should have an inkling what is going on on Game Day are 1) clueless, 2) don't give a damn, and 3) no one is apparently in charge of even reading their own web site like a fan would. Elementary Business 101. TAKE IT OFF THE DARN WEB SITE.
09-17-2017 10:03 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-16-2017 09:56 PM)Tigx Wrote:  
7. We are fun to watch

Disagree on #8.

A lot of people were in the concessions lines as halftime ended, and taking a break from the heat in the concourses. By middle of the 3rd, most of the empty seats had filled back in.

We sat up high under the visitor boxes for some shade for a while. Could see out to Hollywood and see Tiger Lane. Few people left. As hot as it was, and a 4 hour game, I was surprised more didn't leave early.

That's what I noticed too. With concessions out of water, a lot of folks stayed in the shade. Even in the second half, I noticed people staying in the concourse then taking peeks at the game.
09-18-2017 11:00 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(09-17-2017 11:12 AM)TG4 Wrote:  I knew it was gonna be a good day when I pulled in off Southern Ave. at 8:15 and folks were already paying to park in the grass across from the MSC.
The attendants and MPD handling postgame egress were exceptional.

Traffic and pedestrian flow moved great where I was. I came up Highland then down Central. Didn't hit traffic back-ups until west of The Pink Palace. But it was constantly moving.

Left Tiger Lane, stood in a line, but through the gate in 15 minutes.

Stayed a bit after the game, but then walked to my car and back on Central very quickly.

No complaints with traffic flow.
09-18-2017 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.