Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

If the Big Ten Misses the Playoff This Year, How Many Years Before Expansion?
Bookmark and Share
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
If the Big Ten Misses the Playoff This Year, How Many Years Before Expansion?
https://www.si.com/college-football/vide...-expansion

Well, THAT'S a new one.

The B1G "doesn't care" if they miss the playoffs because they care more about the Rose Bowl.

Also a new one......

The teams from areas of "better weather" care more about missing the playoffs.

The idiocy behind that line of thinking is unbelievable.

And one wonders why I haven't picked up an SI in years....
09-14-2017 09:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: If the Big Ten Misses the Playoff This Year, How Many Years Before Expansion?
As soon as the Big Ten misses the playoffs once I think the discussion begins on a 6 or 8 team playoff with guaranteed slots for the power conference champions. JMO though.
09-14-2017 09:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
RE: If the Big Ten Misses the Playoff This Year, How Many Years Before Expansion?
(09-14-2017 09:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  As soon as the Big Ten misses the playoffs once I think the discussion begins on a 6 or 8 team playoff with guaranteed slots for the power conference champions. JMO though.

That's certainly possible.

All things being equal, I don't see the committee leaving off an undefeated or 1 loss B1G team. Seems the conferences most likely to get the proverbial shaft are the PAC & XII.

Now a 2 loss champion would be hard to argue leaving them off but I'm sure that wouldn't stop some.

What I objected to the most was the premise that it wouldn't matter because we've got the Rose Bowl.
09-15-2017 10:41 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I think people miss why they went with 4. You are not supposed to have teams in every year. That is part of what makes the sport national and regular season so neat. In 2014, Ohio State could have legitimately been left out and we would have had no one to blaim but ourselves. It is the limited nature of the post season that gives us the best regular season. They pushed this knowing the Big Ten would occasionally be out. It wont be shocking when it happens.

All that said, not having the Rose Bowl this year does mean loosing out of being in the top 4 would sting even more.
09-15-2017 08:53 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(09-15-2017 10:41 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  
(09-14-2017 09:03 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  As soon as the Big Ten misses the playoffs once I think the discussion begins on a 6 or 8 team playoff with guaranteed slots for the power conference champions. JMO though.

All things being equal, I don't see the committee leaving off an undefeated or 1 loss B1G team. Seems the conferences most likely to get the proverbial shaft are the PAC & XII.

Now a 2 loss champion would be hard to argue leaving them off but I'm sure that wouldn't stop some.

What I objected to the most was the premise that it wouldn't matter because we've got the Rose Bowl.

Rose Bowl > CFP for me.
09-16-2017 10:01 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(09-16-2017 10:01 PM)DexterDevil Wrote:  

Rose Bowl > CFP for me.

That just seems crazy to me. Wouldn't you rather play to prove you're the best team in the nation than to play against the top PAC 12 school?
09-17-2017 06:52 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(09-17-2017 06:52 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Rose Bowl > CFP for me.

That just seems crazy to me. Wouldn't you rather play to prove you're the best team in the nation than to play against the top PAC 12 school?

I prefer tradition I guess.

Sent from my C6743 using CSNbbs mobile app
09-17-2017 02:49 PM
Advertisement

Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(09-14-2017 09:39 AM)BadgerMJ Wrote:  https://www.si.com/college-football/vide...-expansion

Well, THAT'S a new one.

The B1G "doesn't care" if they miss the playoffs because they care more about the Rose Bowl.

Also a new one......

The teams from areas of "better weather" care more about missing the playoffs.

Actually Delaney made statements about the B1G's participation in the Rose Bowl being a reason for B1G not supporting the playoffs before the playoffs happened.
The idiocy behind that line of thinking is unbelievable.

And one wonders why I haven't picked up an SI in years....
09-17-2017 05:03 PM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G
(09-15-2017 08:53 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  I think people miss why they went with 4. You are not supposed to have teams in every year. That is part of what makes the sport national and regular season so neat. In 2014, Ohio State could have legitimately been left out and we would have had no one to blaim but ourselves. It is the limited nature of the post season that gives us the best regular season. They pushed this knowing the Big Ten would occasionally be out. It wont be shocking when it happens.

All that said, not having the Rose Bowl this year does mean loosing out of being in the top 4 would sting even more.

A selection committee or polls determining your sports playoff participants when it is only 4 teams out of 65 power teams, and leaving one of the P5 conferences out is not what is neat about the sport. Its just the opposite, its what is bad about college football. Football is not gymnastics or figure skating, it should clearly be played and won on the field like it is in the NFL.
09-17-2017 05:12 PM
Strut Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Sparty aka MSU

Rose Bowl > CFP for me.
Same for me Rose Bowl > CFP
CFP feels forced to be thought of as meaningful and too manufactured to me. I get that it's a lot of money and all that but I guess I'm old school, so CFP is just meh and never equal to Rose bowl.

It's like the FedEx Cup in golf, its just some made up big money thing at the end to me, much like CFP. Masters>US Open>other majors>FedEx Cup.
09-18-2017 08:10 PM
Advertisement

ohio1317 Offline

On the one hand, I always want Ohio State to be competing for the national championship. On the other hand, I felt jealous of Penn State playing in the Rose Bowl last year (admittedly this was after OSU lost the Fiesta Bowl). This is not something most people feel anymore, but there is just something very neat about the setting of the Rose Bowl to me. From the less glaring advertising to the mountains, the stadium, everything about it is neater to me than the other bowls.

(09-17-2017 05:12 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  A selection committee or polls determining your sports playoff participants when it is only 4 teams out of 65 power teams, and leaving one of the P5 conferences out is not what is neat about the sport. Its just the opposite, its what is bad about college football. Football is not gymnastics or figure skating, it should clearly be played and won on the field like it is in the NFL.

It is played and won on the field, just in a different manner than the other major sports. No undefeated team from a major conference is being left out. If you want in, play your way in by winning everything. If you cannot do that, don't drop more than one and look impressive doing it.

I love the college football set-up because it actually feels like we have high level games every week. A major team loses in week 1 or week 13, it's a big deal. I don't feel that way in the NFL and certainly not baseball, college basketball, the NBA, etc. I'm not suggesting they should change, but by enlarging their playoffs, they have made most their regular seasons feel far less meaningful from my perspective. I do not want to see that happen to college football and the second I know the Big Ten champ is in regardless, I will lose a lot of what draws me to the big national games every week.
09-20-2017 10:33 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
The Big 10 champion, even with two losses, will be in this year. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season the Big 12 champ has 1 loss and a weak strength of schedule, the PAC puts forth Washington again, and the ACC champion has at least one loss and possibly two. If Mississippi State is as good as I think they might be, and we'll know more after this weekend, it is not inconceivable that the SEC champ has a loss, or maybe even two.

While the parity bug is not obvious, I do think most conferences have some upsets in them this year. If Ohio State drops a conference game it will likely be to the winner.

And BTW, if you want to see ESPN strain to lay a brick, just see what happens if Miss State knocks off Saban! What I fear for Miss State is that the Bulldogs would have to be perfect to get in. They are a lousy national draw and the CFP committee would be encouraged to deal with that.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2017 12:18 AM by JRsec.)
09-23-2017 12:16 AM
ohio1317 Offline

I really do think all the conferences are very much in it this year. The SEC has seen some loses from some top teams, but Alabama remains strong and Vanderbilt and Mississippi State have solid wins under their belt. The Big Ten had Ohio State lose, but Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan could all get through without a loss and have looked good (with issues, but good). The ACC needed Clemson to win after other early troubles, but it has convincingly. The PAC-12 I have been all over on thoughts with but Oregon, Washington, and USC are all still in the Rose/Sugar chase. In the Big 12, Oklahoma State is the real deal and we already knew Oklahoma was. Add in TCU and you have some strength back in the Big 12. Side Note: I think the added championship game is far more likely to throw a Big 12 team out of the Rose/Sugar Bowls than put one in despite all the crying about it leaving them out.
09-23-2017 07:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.