Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

St. Petersburg Bowl has been renamed The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowll
Bookmark and Share
cpawstoney Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U.C.
St. Petersburg Bowl has been renamed The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowll
Friday Five: The 'best' things about the new Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Yes, you read that right: The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl will be held in St. Petersburg

Quote:3. I get to learn about Gasparilla...

My initial thought was that it was like sarsaparilla but with gasoline in it. That sounds like a terrible drink, and I don't recommend anybody trying it. But then I thought "maybe it isn't meant to drink." Maybe, just maybe, Gasparilla is some kind of amazing fuel that saves the planet when it's used.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. It's something better.

It turns out Gasparilla is the nickname of Jose Gaspar, who is a fictional pirate that plundered the Gulf of Mexico and was based out of southwest Florida. He's also the inspiration for the Gasparilla Pirate Festival that's held every year in Tampa with the first one taking place all the way back in 1904.

So we're all learning a little something about make believe pirates here today, and it's important to learn. So thank you, Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl for teaching us all a little something.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017 11:37 AM by cpawstoney.)
08-18-2017 11:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
RE: St. Petersburg Bowl has been renamed The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowll
(08-18-2017 11:37 AM)cpawstoney Wrote:  Friday Five: The 'best' things about the new Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

Yes, you read that right: The Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl will be held in St. Petersburg

Quote:3. I get to learn about Gasparilla...

My initial thought was that it was like sarsaparilla but with gasoline in it. That sounds like a terrible drink, and I don't recommend anybody trying it. But then I thought "maybe it isn't meant to drink." Maybe, just maybe, Gasparilla is some kind of amazing fuel that saves the planet when it's used.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. It's something better.

It turns out Gasparilla is the nickname of Jose Gaspar, who is a fictional pirate that plundered the Gulf of Mexico and was based out of southwest Florida. He's also the inspiration for the Gasparilla Pirate Festival that's held every year in Tampa with the first one taking place all the way back in 1904.

So we're all learning a little something about make believe pirates here today, and it's important to learn. So thank you, Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl for teaching us all a little something.

WTF?

08-18-2017 11:48 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Gawd, now I know how Stroker Ace felt in the movie when he had to wear the "Fastest Chicken in the South" suit.

08-18-2017 12:07 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Maybe this slot is reserved for the ECU pirates?

It would make fans feel like Danny in Caddyshack when that snotty Ivy League law clerk asked him where was going to law school and he mumbled an obscure school name.

Wouldn't our OSU "friends" love hearing UC is headed to this bowl someday soon?

08-18-2017 12:14 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

December 21st vs. CUSA. P6? What a freegin' joke!

08-18-2017 12:19 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2017 12:19 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Unless you get to an access bowls all of the AAC bowls are before Christmas now. Two AAC bowls are against C-USA teams now, one against a Sun Belt and one against a MAC school. Our best non-access bowl possibility is to win 9-10 games and play against a 6-6 SEC or ACC team.

For UC, the bowl options are no better than what was available in C-USA from 1996-2004-- might be worse since we had a shot at the Liberty Bowl back then.

08-18-2017 12:29 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(08-18-2017 12:29 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Unless you get to an access bowls all of the AAC bowls are before Christmas now. Two AAC bowls are against C-USA teams now, one against a Sun Belt and one against a MAC school. Our best non-access bowl possibility is to win 9-10 games and play against a 6-6 SEC or ACC team.

For UC, the bowl options are no better than what was available in C-USA from 1996-2004-- might be worse since we had a shot at the Liberty Bowl back then.

Oh, I'm aware of all that. I just think it's funny (and sad) that our conference is trying to tout the P6 narrative and one of our crap bowls played before Christmas has changed from St. Petersburg (not half bad) to the Gaspar Bowl. It just makes it more "little time" from a national perspective. Again, it has been stated ad nauseum on this board and elsewhere - the gap between the have's and the have not's is ever apparent and ever widening.

08-18-2017 12:37 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2017 12:37 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(08-18-2017 12:29 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

Oh, I'm aware of all that. I just think it's funny (and sad) that our conference is trying to tout the P6 narrative and one of our crap bowls played before Christmas has changed from St. Petersburg (not half bad) to the Gaspar Bowl. It just makes it more "little time" from a national perspective. Again, it has been stated ad nauseum on this board and elsewhere - the gap between the have's and the have not's is ever apparent and ever widening.

Agreed.

If I am being honest, this bowl has always sucked. This is evident by the fact it has gone through six corporate sponsors in 10 years. Its always been played prior to Christmas in the early afternoon on a weekday. As a result, TV ratings have been abysmal. Bowl attendance has always been awful (last year Mississippi vs. Miami(OH) only drew 15K fans-- the record for the bowl is 26K).

My only guess is that the lawn mowing company is paying big bucks to sponsor the game (which doesn't necessarily mean the payout will be anything substantial).

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2017 12:48 PM by CliftonAve.)
08-18-2017 12:48 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Can't disagree with anyone here about the AAC bowl lineup.

I do believe if UC starts winning more consistently and returns to the top 25 under CLF, better bowl slots will be swapped in from P5 conferences that are short on eligible teams in any given year. That's rolling the dice I know, but it beats being locked out. And that scenario often occurs since the P5 conferences have more bowl affiliations than they can fill.

Rule number one with bowls is, "how many tickets will you sell?". UC established a pretty strong reputation in that regard and fans will turn out again for an SEC, ACC or B12 opponent in a decent venue.

08-18-2017 02:41 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Nothing says big time better than "Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl "

Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl, Liberty Bowl, Belk Bowl and now Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl. WAFJ

08-18-2017 05:56 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I bet a lot of you post in the politics forum about "everyone getting a trophy" but still complain about bowl tie ins. They are and have always been pointless. The season is over and you are champion of nothing. Now that there's a playoff they are even more meaningless.

08-18-2017 06:45 PM
glacier_dropsy Offline
1st String

I Root For: air joiner
Looks like the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl has found some competition for the worst named bowl not involving a dot.com or apostrophe, like Beef O'Brady.

08-19-2017 06:09 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Honestly, with the playoff now, other than the NY6 bowl options, every bowl is basically 2nd rate.

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 08:12 AM by Bearcats#1.)
08-19-2017 08:12 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

(08-18-2017 06:45 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  I bet a lot of you post in the politics forum about "everyone getting a trophy" but still complain about bowl tie ins. They are and have always been pointless. The season is over and you are champion of nothing. Now that there's a playoff they are even more meaningless.

Apples and oranges.

While I am not thrilled about lower tiered bowl games the 15 extra practices and additional fan engagement opportunities are invaluable.

08-19-2017 09:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.