Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Republican Shadow Campaign for 2020 Takes Shape as Trump Doubts Grow
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Republican Shadow Campaign for 2020 Takes Shape as Trump Doubts Grow
When you eventually jump off of the Trump train, which will be your next train?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/05/us/po...pence.html
08-05-2017 07:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Republican Shadow Campaign for 2020 Takes Shape as Trump Doubts Grow
They all think quite highly of themselves. Which is pretty amazing for people with such low approval ratings who have proven they can't govern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
08-05-2017 08:07 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Count me as one who has a huge man-crush on Ben Sasse. I would love for him to run in 2020.

The problem, perversely, is that the media and progressive criticism of Trump is so over-the-top delusional that the American electorate will instinctively rally around him in in 2020. Solid alternatives, such as Sasse, Cotton, Haley, Scott, or even Pence, will be sidelined, and we will yet again be stuck with another four years of an ego-centric, incompetent president.

After 8 years of Obama, I don't know if this nation can survive more than 4 years of Trump. I hope I am wrong.
08-06-2017 05:59 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 05:59 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Count me as one who has a huge man-crush on Ben Sasse. I would love for him to run in 2020.

The problem, perversely, is that the media and progressive criticism of Trump is so over-the-top delusional that the American electorate will instinctively rally around him in in 2020. Solid alternatives, such as Sasse, Cotton, Haley, Scott, or even Pence, will be sidelined, and we will yet again be stuck with another four years of an ego-centric, incompetent president.

After 8 years of Obama, I don't know if this nation can survive more than 4 years of Trump. I hope I am wrong.

So Trump's action deserve no criticism?
08-06-2017 06:07 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 06:07 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 05:59 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  Count me as one who has a huge man-crush on Ben Sasse. I would love for him to run in 2020.

Thank you for illustrating my point, swag.

That a right-leaning poster would prefer someone other than first-term President Trump to be the Republican candidate in 2020 would, for most logical thinkers, be an indication dissatisfaction.

But not for the progressive mind. It apparently does not count as criticism unless we are all wearing ****** hats, threatening to burn down the white house, blocking highways in support for those who slander police and labeling anyone who disagrees with us as white supremacists. That's progressive logic for you.

And the result will be another term of Trump.

Congratulations.
08-06-2017 06:51 AM
bubbapt Offline
Uh, what?

I Root For: Memphis

Donators
(08-05-2017 08:07 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  They all think quite highly of themselves. Which is pretty amazing for people with such low approval ratings who have proven they can't govern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yep.
08-06-2017 07:26 AM
Advertisement

swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 06:51 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  

That a right-leaning poster would prefer someone other than first-term President Trump to be the Republican candidate in 2020 would, for most logical thinkers, be an indication dissatisfaction.

But not for the progressive mind. It apparently does not count as criticism unless we are all wearing ****** hats, threatening to burn down the white house, blocking highways in support for those who slander police and labeling anyone who disagrees with us as white supremacists. That's progressive logic for you.

Congratulations.

That's a small group of people that act in this manner.
08-06-2017 07:35 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 07:35 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  

Congratulations.

I fully agree.

The difference is that when a right-leaning moron acts out, the media blows it up into a full indictment of the entire conservative ideology and Republicans scurry all about trying to distance themselves from the inappropriate statements/conduct.

But when the bad behavior is from the left, but is generally crickets from the media and nothing but non sequitur statements from Democrats justifying the liberal b.s.

I'm sure you'll deny it. But that's the reality as I see it.
08-06-2017 08:43 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
So is Jeff Flake, the left's newest favorite Republican planning on running for president? Or is he just trying to sell his book? He was on NBC this morning.

The two Senators who lost close races in 2016 were the two (NH and NV) who most distanced themselves from Trump. Don't see this helping his reelection. Calls it lies to say better trade deals would save jobs. Didn't seem to be offering solutions, just "Tough luck!"
08-06-2017 10:09 AM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
How quickly people forget Clintons standing in 1994. How'd that work out?

But please, keep ignoring history.
08-06-2017 10:26 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 10:26 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  How quickly people forget Clintons standing in 1994. How'd that work out?

But please, keep ignoring history.

Very fair point. But another important difference:

Bill Clinton was a slug, but he knew the political game and played it better than his opponents.

Donald Trump is a clown -- one who doesn't even try to play the political game but instead attempts to redefine the rules as applied to himself. That has worked for him so far -- first in the primaries because he benefitted from a complicit (with the Clinton campaign) media that gave the presumably weaker Trump cover long enough to knock off more credible candidates. Then second in the general election because Hillary was by far an even worse choice.

Trump no longer has those built-in advantages. Unless the progressives and the media once again manage to make Trump look like the lesser of two evils, I believe we will see a different (and better) Republican nominee in 2020.

Having said that, I'll admit to having underestimated Trump countless times already. I may very well be doing it again.
08-06-2017 10:40 AM
Advertisement

swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 10:09 AM)bullet Wrote:  So is Jeff Flake, the left's newest favorite Republican planning on running for president? Or is he just trying to sell his book? He was on NBC this morning.

The two Senators who lost close races in 2016 were the two (NH and NV) who most distanced themselves from Trump. Don't see this helping his reelection. Calls it lies to say better trade deals would save jobs. Didn't seem to be offering solutions, just "Tough luck!"

He's running for POTUS.
08-06-2017 10:49 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 08:43 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 07:35 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  

Congratulations.

I fully agree.

The difference is that when a right-leaning moron acts out, the media blows it up into a full indictment of the entire conservative ideology and Republicans scurry all about trying to distance themselves from the inappropriate statements/conduct.

But when the bad behavior is from the left, but is generally crickets from the media and nothing but non sequitur statements from Democrats justifying the liberal b.s.

I'm sure you'll deny it. But that's the reality as I see it.

Depends who "the media" is. You make good points but if "the media" is a liberal then yeah, however, I see the same on the other side if "the media" is a conservative.
08-06-2017 10:52 AM
Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
I wonder in history how common is it a party is actively looking to replace their own guy 7 months into his term.

The regret coming from serious republicans is palpable.
08-06-2017 10:54 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-06-2017 10:54 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  I wonder in history how common is it a party is actively looking to replace their own guy 7 months into his term.

These are the people who really, really didn't want him in the first place.

And a lot of them just don't like him personally (probably pretty easy to do). Most of the Senate has egos that rival not only Trump's, but even Obama's.
08-06-2017 10:58 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I still don't really think he will run again. He will get bored of it. But he might decide to run again just to get back at people, even if he really doesn't want it.
08-06-2017 11:00 AM
Advertisement

AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 10:58 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(08-06-2017 10:54 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  I wonder in history how common is it a party is actively looking to replace their own guy 7 months into his term.

And a lot of them just don't like him personally (probably pretty easy to do). Most of the Senate has egos that rival not only Trump's, but even Obama's.

Exactly.
08-06-2017 11:18 AM
pcm0103 Online
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(08-06-2017 11:00 AM)bullet Wrote:  I still don't really think he will run again. He will get bored of it. But he might decide to run again just to get back at people, even if he really doesn't want it.

I don't think he will run again either but it will not be because he got bored. He has stated before that he didn't realize how hard and how difficult it is running a country. I think he will not be able to handle another 4 years.
08-06-2017 11:45 AM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

So Obama has a bigger ego than Trump?
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2017 12:41 PM by swagsurfer11.)
08-06-2017 12:40 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(08-06-2017 12:40 PM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  

So Obama has a bigger ego than Trump?

Is that a trick question?

Does a cartload of pig manure smell worse than a baby's dirty diaper?
08-06-2017 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.