Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kelly, Dantonio and Jones have same odds to be first coach fired
Bookmark and Share
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Kelly, Dantonio and Jones have same odds to be first coach fired
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c...532949001/

Mark Dantonio of Michigan State, Butch Jones of Tennessee and Brian Kelly of Notre Dame - the three men who were head coaches of UC Bearcats football (excluding interim head coaches) from 2004 to 2012 - have the same 30/1 odds, in a bizarre coincidence, of being the first coach fired in college football, according to SportsBettingDime.com.

There are nine coaches with odds suggesting they're more likely than the trio to be the first fired, including UCLA's Jim Mora at 9/1.

Dantonio has been the Spartans' head coach since leaving UC in 2006. In 2016, MSU had its worst season under Dantonio, going 1–8 in the Big Ten and finishing 3–9.

Kelly has been Notre Dame's head coach since leaving UC in 2009. In 2016, the Irish finished 4–8, the team's worst record in a decade.

Jones has been the Volunteers' head coach since leaving UC in 2012. Tennessee was 9-4 in 2016, finishing in second place in the SEC East.

The website is offering more than 50 unique college football props, and also lists Ohio State's odds of winning the National Championship at 15/2, trailing only Alabama at 3/1. The Buckeyes' odds of reaching the College Football Playoff are 3/2, and OSU quarterback JT Barrett's Heisman Trophy odds are 9/1, trailing only USC QB Sam Darnold, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and Louisville QB Lamar Jackson.

08-03-2017 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
RE: Kelly, Dantonio and Jones have same odds to be first coach fired
I'm going with Jones to get the axe first... They really don't like him down in Tennessee and he doesn't have any real success to fall back on down there. A slow start and he could be gone by week four or five.

Kelly has some success at Notre Dame, but ND finally has paid off Charlie Weis...there was NO way they were going to be paying two coaches simultaneously not to coach. But Kelly has to win some key games and at least go bowling this season.

Dantonio is probably safe this season unless he has had enough and retires.

08-03-2017 04:31 PM
TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
Hopefully other presidents and ADs start to realize that Cincinnati is a strong program, and it isn't that hard to win here. I've always felt a bit slighted by the idea that winning ~10 games per season and getting ranked here makes you a miracle worker worthy of any job in college football... it doesn't. Winning 10 games per season and getting ranked at Miami or BGSU would take a miracle worker, not so here.

No respect, I tell ya.

08-03-2017 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
That'd be nice if we were all ND, Mich St, or Tenn fans...

...but...

...since we're not...

08-03-2017 05:34 PM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2017 05:34 PM)BJUnklFkr Wrote:  That'd be nice if we were all ND, Mich St, or Tenn fans...

...but...

...since we're not...

Yeah, well it's still the off-season.

I agree with you and I'm not losing any sleep over it.

08-03-2017 06:57 PM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
True Jerry :) definitely off-season stuff. Just being a smartazz...

Agree with your assessment, and chronology.

08-03-2017 09:11 PM
Advertisement

Not Duane Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
The point of this schadenfreude being that, had they stayed, they could have been big winners in the AAC?

A successful coach will always look to move up when the chance is available.

08-03-2017 09:45 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Odds are 1-1 they make a ton more money with a nearly unlimited budget in a world's better conference or in the case of ND, Football U.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2017 09:51 PM by rath v2.0.)
08-03-2017 09:50 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Michigan State would be insane to fire Dantonio without giving him at least another full season or two. They have had 6 10-win seasons in the past 50 years... 5 of those 6 have come in the 10 years Dantonio has been there.

08-03-2017 10:08 PM
Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
My neighbors in Michigan are huge Michigan State fans they are TIRED of all the problems with the players lately. They probably would not mind so much if they were winning.

08-03-2017 10:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loco Bearcat Online
Special Teams

Michigan State would be crazy to fire Dantonio. They haven't had this much success since the Mid 60's.

08-03-2017 11:13 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think Dantonio is in real trouble. Their recruiting has fallen off a cliff and their off-field problems are getting out of control.

08-04-2017 06:28 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
It's probable all three get canned. Interestingly, I could see MSU and UT hiring BK. Could also see MSU hiring BJ.

08-04-2017 07:01 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

As long as they don't hire LF

08-04-2017 09:32 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(08-04-2017 06:28 AM)Marcus Wrote:  I think Dantonio is in real trouble. Their recruiting has fallen off a cliff and their off-field problems are getting out of control.

I agree with you, even though MD has had a lot of success. If the program is viewed in a downward position he might get cut loose. No idea how good that team will be this season.

08-04-2017 10:21 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

(08-04-2017 09:32 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  As long as they don't hire LF

I don't think there is a chance any job is open for Fickell after year one. After two or three it is possible two of those schools could hire him.

08-04-2017 12:37 PM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-04-2017 10:21 AM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 06:28 AM)Marcus Wrote:  I think Dantonio is in real trouble. Their recruiting has fallen off a cliff and their off-field problems are getting out of control.

I agree with you, even though MD has had a lot of success. If the program is viewed in a downward position he might get cut loose. No idea how good that team will be this season.

Exactly. I think MSU fans do see a downward trajectory going forward. If he has another year like last year I think he's probably done. One terrible year I can see, but no way they keep a guy with back to back 3-9 type seasons, with the other issues they are facing as well with the poor recruiting and off field problems.

08-04-2017 12:44 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-04-2017 12:37 PM)Banter Wrote:  

I don't think there is a chance any job is open for Fickell after year one. After two or three it is possible two of those schools could hire him.

Probably not, although Michigan State if it came open would not be a total shock to me. I'd also expect Butch to go after that job too if he survives another year at Tennessee. He actually tried for the Purdue job last year LOL

08-04-2017 12:45 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-04-2017 12:45 PM)Marcus Wrote:  

Probably not, although Michigan State if it came open would not be a total shock to me. I'd also expect Butch to go after that job too if he survives another year at Tennessee. He actually tried for the Purdue job last year LOL

Interesting since CBJ turned down the Purdue job when he was here (of course he knew he had other suitors).

I would think if MSU and Dantonio parted ways Sparty's first consideration would be Pat Narduzzi. Of course, they might just want to cut ties from the Dantonio regime.

08-04-2017 12:55 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(08-04-2017 12:55 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  
(08-04-2017 12:45 PM)Marcus Wrote:  

Interesting since CBJ turned down the Purdue job when he was here (of course he knew he had other suitors).

I would think if MSU and Dantonio parted ways Sparty's first consideration would be Pat Narduzzi. Of course, they might just want to cut ties from the Dantonio regime.

I just don't think Butch can handle the limelight. Tennessee might be too big of a stage for him. The media absolutely crushes him with his BS one liners and clichés to every tough question. He could get away with that crap at UC and in the MAC, but not at a traditional SEC power.

Good call on Narduzzi. I think he'd be a name to watch for sure if that job opened up.

(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 01:59 PM by Marcus.)
08-04-2017 01:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.