Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

South Campus Plans
Bookmark and Share
danny1 Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
South Campus Plans
All of the new construction on going and done over the last few years on the south campus has been impressive and is truly something in which we can all take pride. On the other hand, all of the old buildings literally decades old provide an ugly contrast to all of the new. A prime example is an old, run down facility just north of the new basketball facility. Are there plans to raze these ugly, outdated structures and, if so, what is the timeline? They really detract from what is being transformed into a real showplace.
07-12-2017 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: South Campus Plans
(07-12-2017 08:57 AM)danny1 Wrote:  All of the new construction on going and done over the last few years on the south campus has been impressive and is truly something in which we can all take pride. On the other hand, all of the old buildings literally decades old provide an ugly contrast to all of the new. A prime example is an old, run down facility just north of the new basketball facility. Are there plans to raze these ugly, outdated structures and, if so, what is the timeline? They really detract from what is being transformed into a real showplace.

There is a master plan on the South Campus which is being implemented as funds allow & will eventually bring everything together there. Time & patience, my fren....
07-12-2017 09:10 AM
danny1 Offline
All American

(07-12-2017 09:10 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 08:57 AM)danny1 Wrote:  All of the new construction on going and done over the last few years on the south campus has been impressive and is truly something in which we can all take pride. On the other hand, all of the old buildings literally decades old provide an ugly contrast to all of the new. A prime example is an old, run down facility just north of the new basketball facility. Are there plans to raze these ugly, outdated structures and, if so, what is the timeline? They really detract from what is being transformed into a real showplace.

There is a master plan on the South Campus which is being implemented as funds allow & will eventually bring everything together there. Time & patience, my fren....

Figured that was the case. Patience is not one of my virtues - lol. Bottom line, the south campus is becoming more impressive with each passing day. For those who have not been by in the last couple of years, you should make an effort to go by next time you are in town. Same thing for the main campus and the Highland Strip. The transformation is remarkable.
07-12-2017 09:23 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech

Yep. This is it. [1]

And this. [2]

[1] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...maller.pdf
[2] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...report.pdf
07-12-2017 09:41 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 09:23 AM)danny1 Wrote:  

Figured that was the case. Patience is not one of my virtues - lol. Bottom line, the south campus is becoming more impressive with each passing day. For those who have not been by in the last couple of years, you should make an effort to go by next time you are in town. Same thing for the main campus and the Highland Strip. The transformation is remarkable.

I think they need to reconsider a grade level exchange at highland and the Norfolk Southern tracks. The growth on the South Side of the tracks will be hinder without one. IMO.

I think the real estate developer community will soon realize that you can get things done if you are in Memphis's corner.
07-12-2017 09:44 AM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(07-12-2017 09:44 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

I think they need to reconsider a grade level exchange at highland and the Norfolk Southern tracks. The growth on the South Side of the tracks will be hinder without one. IMO.

I think the real estate developer community will soon realize that you can get things done if you are in Memphis's corner.

I believe plans are to put a RR bridge similar to Ridgeway in the vicinity of Mendenhall or Perkins. Doubt one happens at Highland.
07-12-2017 10:46 AM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 10:46 AM)3601 Wrote:  

I believe plans are to put a RR bridge similar to Ridgeway in the vicinity of Mendenhall or Perkins. Doubt one happens at Highland.

Yep. The plan is to build two. Of course one has to be in the suburbs and one in Memphis. Mendenhall was picked for the Memphis one.

Highland is needed, but it is too expensive. It's all in the link I added.
07-12-2017 10:49 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 10:49 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 09:10 AM)Atlanta Wrote:  There is a master plan on the South Campus which is being implemented as funds allow & will eventually bring everything together there. Time & patience, my fren....

Yep. The plan is to build two. Of course one has to be in the suburbs and one in Memphis. Mendenhall was picked for the Memphis one.

Hmm. I didn't add the link. [1]

[1] - http://memphismpo.org/project/poplar-southern-corridor
07-12-2017 10:51 AM
mairving Offline
Ignant Homer

Some of those buildings bring back memories. My dad worked at the VA hospital. One of the buildings housed animals used in experiments. As kids we loved going there to see the mice, rats and rabbits. Occasionally we got to take one home.
07-12-2017 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(07-12-2017 10:51 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 10:49 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 09:23 AM)danny1 Wrote:  Figured that was the case. Patience is not one of my virtues - lol. Bottom line, the south campus is becoming more impressive with each passing day. For those who have not been by in the last couple of years, you should make an effort to go by next time you are in town. Same thing for the main campus and the Highland Strip. The transformation is remarkable.

Hmm. I didn't add the link. [1]

[1] - http://memphismpo.org/project/poplar-southern-corridor

Interesting. I wonder low long it will take to build? Poplar and Mendenhall will be a nightmare during construction. Oh well, it needs to be done.
07-12-2017 11:44 AM
danny1 Offline
All American

(07-12-2017 09:41 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

Yep. This is it. [1]

And this. [2]

[1] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...maller.pdf
[2] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...report.pdf

Wow! The plans shown in the links is impressive. A lot of new academic buildings on tap too. The building I referred to is scheduled for renovation according to the master plan.

Thanks for the good info!
07-12-2017 11:50 AM
Advertisement

mphsfan Offline
Unapologetic Supporter

I Root For: Memphis &

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
I read the Executive Summary, which, was dated July 2010...seven years ago. The plan calls for Mendenhall to be lowered by 28 feet to go under the railway and for the project to take about 2 years.

This study is 7 years old. What is the status on the project, is it going to be implemented? Anyone know?
07-12-2017 12:11 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 12:11 PM)mphsfan Wrote:  I read the Executive Summary, which, was dated July 2010...seven years ago. The plan calls for Mendenhall to be lowered by 28 feet to go under the railway and for the project to take about 2 years.

This study is 7 years old. What is the status on the project, is it going to be implemented? Anyone know?

I doubt the funding will ever show up. This type of stuff costs 50M-150M depending on the details.

I would call Cohen and Kustoff.
07-12-2017 12:30 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(07-12-2017 09:41 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  [1] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...maller.pdf

There's your academic research park (vs. the fairgrounds area). Tons of "academic research" buildings, not necessarily earmarked for any department.
However, a lot on that master plan has already changed. They need to update it again.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 12:41 PM by tigergreen.)
07-12-2017 12:40 PM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 12:40 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 09:41 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  [1] - http://www.memphis.edu/masterplan/pdf/20...maller.pdf

There's your academic research park (vs. the fairgrounds area). Tons of "academic research" buildings, not necessarily earmarked for any department.
However, a lot on that master plan has already changed. They need to update it again.

I want the University to own it all!!! 02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
07-12-2017 12:45 PM
Trapper John Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(07-12-2017 12:11 PM)mphsfan Wrote:  I read the Executive Summary, which, was dated July 2010...seven years ago. The plan calls for Mendenhall to be lowered by 28 feet to go under the railway and for the project to take about 2 years.

The last line in the study summary for the Mendenhall part states that the proposal is not viable - meaning, I assume, that it would be dropped as an option. It goes on to state that the same type option at Houston Levee would be more viable with less negative impact.
07-12-2017 02:51 PM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-12-2017 02:51 PM)Trapper John Wrote:  

The last line in the study summary for the Mendenhall part states that the proposal is not viable - meaning, I assume, that it would be dropped as an option. It goes on to state that the same type option at Houston Levee would be more viable with less negative impact.

It means they don't think they would get their money back on the project. Houston Levee is like 20M cheaper, and the cost benefit analysis only cares about travel time and not potential development.

Quote: The proposed community redevelopment activities around the grade separated crossing have not been included in this benefit cost analysis. Assuming regional demand exists for such development, it is expected that the development would have occurred within Shelby County in any case. The redevelopment activities are viewed as geographic shifts in economic development activity rather than a net benefit to the County from these transportation improvement projects.

I don't know it that is a valid assumption. But whatever.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 03:42 PM by FlyingTiger2016.)
07-12-2017 03:41 PM
memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
We need a on campus stadium
07-15-2017 10:31 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-15-2017 10:31 PM)memphisike Wrote:  We need a on campus stadium

Doing, ding, ding....We have a winner! Just don't count on it in your life time, I'm always told.

And no need to discuss really. Everything that can be said, has been already.
07-15-2017 10:58 PM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I remember as a 6 yr. old in '64 visiting my uncle at the old Kennedy VA hospital on South Campus and sitting on the porch of one of those old buildings. Opened in 1943. Shotwell was changed to Getwell on the south side of Park Ave. They closed Kennedy Hospital in '67. Nine years later I was back banging heads in football practice there.
07-16-2017 05:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.