Chuck Carlton's summer 2017 B12 realignment article series
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Exclamation Chuck Carlton's summer 2017 B12 realignment article series
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...ve-forward

2) The law is the law
Eye on Oklahoma. Norman has been the center of Big 12 discontent among fans and even some regents recent. The Big 12's initial decision -- quickly reversed -- not to restore a year of eligibility for quarterback Baker Mayfield became a flashpoint, Boren said. Boren sounded conciliatory at Big 12 spring meetings invoking a seismic reference, saying "on the Richter scale, [fan sentiment] is more favorable than not."

Asked if Oklahoma's decision to stay or leave at some point could represent a Big 12 tipping point, the 75-year-old Boren said: "I understand that theory. Someone else will probably be the leader of the institution when that time comes. Certainly, nothing is happening in the short run. Obviously, we're committed to the conference. We're legally committed. We keep our word. We're not looking around to break our word."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...mes-season

Q: When you came in you had three priorities: a TV network, a championship game and expansion. One of those three got enacted. How do you feel about that?

Boren: "I think part of it is you have to deal with the world around you. One was taken off the table because of the marketplace and the dramatic shifts with cable and what's happening with the whole situation. It just wasn't a possibility anymore. In theory, I think, expansion should never be taken off the table as a possibility but finding the right place to expand, the right expansion candidates at the right time for various reasons, [last year] just didn't seem like the appropriate time to do that. There were various things that happened to various candidates but I would say kind of a perfect storm of events for various candidates that we were looking at it that made it better to continue where we are and build on the financial stability. ... I don't feel that I've been thwarted on any of those things or those things would have made me any more enthusiastic than I am about the Big 12. I'm well satisfied that all these things were considered carefully."
07-10-2017 04:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Chuck Carlton's summer 2017 B12 realignment article series
(07-10-2017 04:26 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...ve-forward

2) The law is the law
Eye on Oklahoma. Norman has been the center of Big 12 discontent among fans and even some regents recent. The Big 12's initial decision -- quickly reversed -- not to restore a year of eligibility for quarterback Baker Mayfield became a flashpoint, Boren said. Boren sounded conciliatory at Big 12 spring meetings invoking a seismic reference, saying "on the Richter scale, [fan sentiment] is more favorable than not."

Asked if Oklahoma's decision to stay or leave at some point could represent a Big 12 tipping point, the 75-year-old Boren said: "I understand that theory. Someone else will probably be the leader of the institution when that time comes. Certainly, nothing is happening in the short run. Obviously, we're committed to the conference. We're legally committed. We keep our word. We're not looking around to break our word."

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college...mes-season

Q: When you came in you had three priorities: a TV network, a championship game and expansion. One of those three got enacted. How do you feel about that?

Boren: "I think part of it is you have to deal with the world around you. One was taken off the table because of the marketplace and the dramatic shifts with cable and what's happening with the whole situation. It just wasn't a possibility anymore. In theory, I think, expansion should never be taken off the table as a possibility but finding the right place to expand, the right expansion candidates at the right time for various reasons, [last year] just didn't seem like the appropriate time to do that. There were various things that happened to various candidates but I would say kind of a perfect storm of events for various candidates that we were looking at it that made it better to continue where we are and build on the financial stability. ... I don't feel that I've been thwarted on any of those things or those things would have made me any more enthusiastic than I am about the Big 12. I'm well satisfied that all these things were considered carefully."

In short Boren states:

1. We are only here as long as we legally have to stay.
2. If it takes a couple of years I may not be president.
3. If he/OU leaves he's not going away mad at anyone, but he/OU will just going away.
07-10-2017 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.