Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Calls for the Big 12 to move on from "dysfunction" and subtle hand-wringing
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Calls for the Big 12 to move on from "dysfunction" and subtle hand-wringing
I don't really know how to quantify this article.

There isn't much here that's simply not true, but it also appears to miss the forest for the trees.

Chuck Carlton of Sportsday breaks down Big 12 issues

True: The Big 12 has a GOR and will not break up anytime soon.

The article makes it sound like that means it will never happen though which is highly unlikely. The demographic issues are well-documented and there just aren't many high profile programs in the league anymore. Fact is that they are currently being overpaid for their product. You have to take that into account when discussing the distribution they currently have.

Interesting quotes:

Quote:Asked if Oklahoma's decision to stay or leave at some point could represent a Big 12 tipping point, the 75-year-old Boren said: "I understand that theory. Someone else will probably be the leader of the institution when that time comes. Certainly, nothing is happening in the short run. Obviously, we're committed to the conference. We're legally committed. We keep our word. We're not looking around to break our word."

For all the hype over what Boren thinks or doesn't think about where OU should be, there are two realities that give context to any decision that is made.

1. Boren probably will be retired by that time. Obviously, if he's not making the decision then it doesn't matter whether he thinks the B1G would be better or not.

2. I think this is more relevant and often overlooked...Boren wouldn't have really made the decision anyway. Boren's job as a university president is to lead and improve his institution in the academic sphere and the point is he has a job. He works for the trustees...whatever they're called over there. Boren does not own OU nor is he an elected official, he serves at the pleasure of the trustees. Ultimately, he will do what they want him to do.

Quote:Coming off recent impressive runs, TCU and West Virginia were added to the Big 12. Some thought the Big 12 should have been more proactive sooner. Last month, Boren said he could provide a list "that I could cry over today" of possible schools the Big 12 could have added.

1. I think it's clear that OU's first choice is not to leave the Big 12. That's probably true of Texas as well. The power players didn't want any of this to happen, but it's come to this nonetheless.

2. The Big 12 has always had poor leadership. They could have at least expanded with Louisville at one point and I'm not sure who else they had an option on, but it's probably safe to say they could have saved the league from disintegrating if they had their crap together many years ago. Point being, the options that have been added obviously weren't good enough. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to "cry over" lost opportunities.
07-10-2017 04:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Calls for the Big 12 to move on from "dysfunction" and subtle hand-wringing
(07-10-2017 04:11 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I don't really know how to quantify this article.

There isn't much here that's simply not true, but it also appears to miss the forest for the trees.

Chuck Carlton of Sportsday breaks down Big 12 issues

True: The Big 12 has a GOR and will not break up anytime soon.

The article makes it sound like that means it will never happen though which is highly unlikely. The demographic issues are well-documented and there just aren't many high profile programs in the league anymore. Fact is that they are currently being overpaid for their product. You have to take that into account when discussing the distribution they currently have.

Interesting quotes:

Quote:Asked if Oklahoma's decision to stay or leave at some point could represent a Big 12 tipping point, the 75-year-old Boren said: "I understand that theory. Someone else will probably be the leader of the institution when that time comes. Certainly, nothing is happening in the short run. Obviously, we're committed to the conference. We're legally committed. We keep our word. We're not looking around to break our word."

For all the hype over what Boren thinks or doesn't think about where OU should be, there are two realities that give context to any decision that is made.

1. Boren probably will be retired by that time. Obviously, if he's not making the decision then it doesn't matter whether he thinks the B1G would be better or not.

2. I think this is more relevant and often overlooked...Boren wouldn't have really made the decision anyway. Boren's job as a university president is to lead and improve his institution in the academic sphere and the point is he has a job. He works for the trustees...whatever they're called over there. Boren does not own OU nor is he an elected official, he serves at the pleasure of the trustees. Ultimately, he will do what they want him to do.

Quote:Coming off recent impressive runs, TCU and West Virginia were added to the Big 12. Some thought the Big 12 should have been more proactive sooner. Last month, Boren said he could provide a list "that I could cry over today" of possible schools the Big 12 could have added.

1. I think it's clear that OU's first choice is not to leave the Big 12. That's probably true of Texas as well. The power players didn't want any of this to happen, but it's come to this nonetheless.

2. The Big 12 has always had poor leadership. They could have at least expanded with Louisville at one point and I'm not sure who else they had an option on, but it's probably safe to say they could have saved the league from disintegrating if they had their crap together many years ago. Point being, the options that have been added obviously weren't good enough. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to "cry over" lost opportunities.

Interesting 04-cheers
07-10-2017 04:30 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
Is the Big 12 overpaid? Despite only 10 members, and the "psychological disadvantage," the conference consistently grabs similar number of quality broadcasts as the ACC and especially the PAC12...
07-10-2017 05:03 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
It's in UT best interest to refuse to sign the new GOR until the 11th hour, make the Helpless 7 really sweat and then demand more concessions from them that they have to accept to keep the conference together. If UT demands a 21 pt start to each game and all the refs be UR alumni then the Helpless 7 will just have to grudgingly agree. OU will hate it but until they grow a pair and leave they will have to put up with it

This is one of the biggest reasons we left. Realignment showed us that because the B12 is so overly dependent on one program that the junior partners who have nowhere to go also have no choice but to vote how they're told for Austin's benefit and the few of you who DO have options are out voted.

That's why everyone but OU who had the ability to leave did so
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 05:37 PM by 10thMountain.)
07-10-2017 05:34 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-10-2017 05:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  It's in UT best interest to refuse to sign the new GOR until the 11th hour, make the Helpless 7 really sweat and then demand more concessions from them that they have to accept to keep the conference together. If UT demands a 21 pt start to each game and all the refs be UR alumni then the Helpless 7 will just have to grudgingly agree. OU will hate it but until they grow a pair and leave they will have to put up with it

This is one of the biggest reasons we left. Realignment showed us that because the B12 is so overly dependent on one program that the junior partners who have nowhere to go also have no choice but to vote how they're told for Austin's benefit and the few of you who DO have options are out voted.

Waiting on OU to finally move on, which it sounds like they are ready to from Boren's responses. Sadly, we must wait until they are contractually and financially able to leave. Until then, 07-coffee3
07-10-2017 06:12 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-10-2017 05:03 PM)YNot Wrote:  Is the Big 12 overpaid? Despite only 10 members, and the "psychological disadvantage," the conference consistently grabs similar number of quality broadcasts as the ACC and especially the PAC12...

The "psychological disadvantage" is that Clemson whipped OU 2 years ago and that has been their only appearance in the CFP.
07-10-2017 07:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-10-2017 05:34 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  It's in UT best interest to refuse to sign the new GOR until the 11th hour, make the Helpless 7 really sweat and then demand more concessions from them that they have to accept to keep the conference together. If UT demands a 21 pt start to each game and all the refs be UR alumni then the Helpless 7 will just have to grudgingly agree. OU will hate it but until they grow a pair and leave they will have to put up with it

A couple of points for you to ponder:

1. A GOR must be unanimous. So even if the little 7 vote at the last minute with Texas, OU can escape and by doing so will force a renegotiation of value for the networks.

2. If someone leaves with OU then the Big 12 will have to add two to remain in existence, and their diminished value will be calculated in. This is why I believe Texas will be looking around as well.
07-10-2017 07:19 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
In other words, the only power Texas really has is the power to destroy the Big XII...
07-10-2017 07:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-10-2017 07:50 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  In other words, the only power Texas really has is the power to destroy the Big XII...

Texas will have the power to get the remaining schools a deal some where between G5 and P5 money. Problem is they'll have to sell their souls and have more conference games on a LHN. Texas will get the best deal possible and a schedule that their fans are still willingly to pay for.
07-10-2017 08:18 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-10-2017 07:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

A couple of points for you to ponder:

1. A GOR must be unanimous. So even if the little 7 vote at the last minute with Texas, OU can escape and by doing so will force a renegotiation of value for the networks.

2. If someone leaves with OU then the Big 12 will have to add two to remain in existence, and their diminished value will be calculated in. This is why I believe Texas will be looking around as well.

If Texas is the last man standing the B12 becomes unattractive, they might finally have the clout to leave the little brothers behind they have to take care of by the Texas Legislature. It's a long sad way of saying "we tried everything. Now, bye Felisa".
07-10-2017 08:21 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-10-2017 07:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 05:03 PM)YNot Wrote:  Is the Big 12 overpaid? Despite only 10 members, and the "psychological disadvantage," the conference consistently grabs similar number of quality broadcasts as the ACC and especially the PAC12...

The "psychological disadvantage" is that Clemson whipped OU 2 years ago and that has been their only appearance in the CFP.

OU sweeping the B12 and losing to OSU pushed OSU into the playoffs. B12 had little hope as that was a down year in OOC games.
07-10-2017 08:23 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-10-2017 07:50 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  In other words, the only power Texas really has is the power to destroy the Big XII...

That's dependent upon Oklahoma. If Oklahoma leaves Texas is hamstrung and then only they have the power to destroy the Big 12. But Oklahoma has the power to hamstring Texas financially by removing the only other valuable brand from their ranks (OU). If Kansas or OSU leaves with them the two replacements would most certainly be of lower value. Texas may keep the LHN money, but the current 35 million in T1 & T2 payouts would drop by 5 million at least, maybe more.
07-10-2017 08:41 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Oklahoma is screwed if they can't get a B1G offer. Not that they won't do well in the SEC which is really a better fit for them anyway but that they will lose all leverage against Texas.
07-10-2017 09:02 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-10-2017 09:02 PM)XLance Wrote:  Oklahoma is screwed if they can't get a B1G offer. Not that they won't do well in the SEC which is really a better fit for them anyway but that they will lose all leverage against Texas.

X, that is one of the most ill conceived post of yours in a long long time. OU is screwed if the go to the Big 10 without Texas as that cuts them off from any real presence in Texas and makes them a Northern school in the minds of recruits who all know that the most draftees to the NFL come out of the SEC first and the ACC second and they want to be showcased against future NFL draftees. In the SEC with Arkansas, A&M and L.S.U. they gain leverage inside Texas without having to have the Horns to get it. The SEC offers more leverage to Oklahoma against Texas than anyone.

I suppose you don't believe that A&M playing Oklahoma at the Fair Grounds in Dallas is leverage? Anything that replaces Texas prestige with Sooner prestige is devastating to the Horns. And the fact that such a game would be against A&M who would also gain huge leverage by replacing Texas in that game is the coup de gras to Bevo. And what's more Texas knows it.

A&M becomes what they've always wanted to be, the darling of the state and Oklahoma and L.S.U. can play from time to time in Houston as well as L.S.U. and A&M. Arkansas can play OU in Dallas as well from time to time.

Dallas will become an A&M and Oklahoma and Arkansas town. Houston will be an A&M and L.S.U. town, and the Aggies will continue to do well in San Antonio and Austin. Ouch! In the Lone Star State that's what tea sips call a living Hell!
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 09:14 PM by JRsec.)
07-10-2017 09:09 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(07-10-2017 09:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 09:02 PM)XLance Wrote:  Oklahoma is screwed if they can't get a B1G offer. Not that they won't do well in the SEC which is really a better fit for them anyway but that they will lose all leverage against Texas.

X, that is one of the most ill conceived post of yours in a long long time. OU is screwed if the go to the Big 10 without Texas. In the SEC with Arkansas, A&M and L.S.U. they gain leverage inside Texas without having to have the Horns to get it. The SEC offers more leverage to Oklahoma against Texas than anyone.

I suppose you don't believe that A&M playing Oklahoma at the Fair Grounds in Dallas is leverage? Anything that replaces Texas prestige with Sooner prestige is devastating to the Horns. And the fact that such a game would be against A&M who would also gain huge leverage by replacing Texas in that game is the coup de gras to Bevo. And what's more Texas knows it.

A&M becomes what they've always wanted to be, the darling of the state and Oklahoma and L.S.U. can play from time to time in Houston as well as L.S.U. and A&M. Arkansas can play OU in Dallas as well from time to time.

Dallas will become an A&M and Oklahoma and Arkansas town. Houston will be an A&M and L.S.U. town, and the Aggies will continue to do well in San Antonio and Austin. Ouch! In the Lone Star State that's what tea sips call a living Hell!

A&M and Arkansas already play against one another yearly in Dallas; at Jerry's World to be precise. Also, losing the RRR would cause major issues from both their fan bases. Texas would essentially have now lost their third major yearly rivalry in recent years. OU would fair better as they would be playing big brands in both the ESC and B1G.
07-10-2017 09:15 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-10-2017 09:15 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 09:09 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

X, that is one of the most ill conceived post of yours in a long long time. OU is screwed if the go to the Big 10 without Texas. In the SEC with Arkansas, A&M and L.S.U. they gain leverage inside Texas without having to have the Horns to get it. The SEC offers more leverage to Oklahoma against Texas than anyone.

A&M and Arkansas already play against one another yearly in Dallas; at Jerry's World to be precise. Also, losing the RRR would cause major issues from both their fan bases. Texas would essentially have now lost their third major yearly rivalry in recent years. OU would fair better as they would be playing big brands in both the ESC and B1G.

OU would only play one game against a brand that any of their fans give damn about in the Big 10, Nebraska.

In the SEC they get to continue to play in Texas, and it has already been looked at by our brass that should Texas drop OU that A&M would replace them in Dallas during the State Fair. Oklahoma can't afford to head to the Big 10 without Texas because then they have neither the cooperation of the SEC which would likely refuse to play them, and they would lose Texas exposure. And even if they kept the RRR with Texas after that move, no longer would they be playing Tech, or T.C.U., in Texas. They would become more alien to the region.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 09:26 PM by JRsec.)
07-10-2017 09:22 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(07-10-2017 08:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's dependent upon Oklahoma. If Oklahoma leaves Texas is hamstrung and then only they have the power to destroy the Big 12. But Oklahoma has the power to hamstring Texas financially by removing the only other valuable brand from their ranks (OU). If Kansas or OSU leaves with them the two replacements would most certainly be of lower value. Texas may keep the LHN money, but the current 35 million in T1 & T2 payouts would drop by 5 million at least, maybe more.

35 mil T1+T2 plus 15 mil LHN equals 50 mil.

At 40-45 mil I might, if I were Texas, say that staying in the Big 12 and personally choosing replacement candidates was worth it, esp. if they have to give up LHN to.move to SEC or don't get full payments from Big 10 right away.

In other words, how.much is Texas willing to pay for power?
07-10-2017 10:21 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-10-2017 10:21 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 08:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

35 mil T1+T2 plus 15 mil LHN equals 50 mil.

At 40-45 mil I might, if I were Texas, say that staying in the Big 12 and personally choosing replacement candidates was worth it, esp. if they have to give up LHN to.move to SEC or don't get full payments from Big 10 right away.

In other words, how.much is Texas willing to pay for power?

You do realize that if Texas did head to the SEC that ESPN would need to make sure that the SEC payout, including the SECN, would need to be 50 million? That's as good as it gets for Texas provided they get a division of present and old friends to play.

And keep in mind that the SEC will likely get 43 million this year. If we add nobody we are accruing about 2 million per year. So by the time Texas could join in say 2 years we would be at 47. So considering the value they would add and the likelihood that we might also be gaining Oklahoma it is not inconceivable that we could take it to 53 or 54 million with them and we would still be accruing revenue. At that point Texas is missing out on 9 million a year even if their new Big 12 contract without Oklahoma is 45 million.

And once again I must remind you that should ESPN offer Texa-homa to the SEC, they acquire 80% of the viewers of the Big 12, and well over half of the total revenue generated by the Big 12 for the cost of just those 4 schools. And in the process they gain exclusivity over the states of Texas and Oklahoma which gives them a lock on the top advertising rates there for nearly 5 football games per week and all of the baseball, softball and basketball. It is quite simply the best investment they could make with regards to the remnant of the Big 12.
07-10-2017 10:36 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

The Lord's truth...
07-11-2017 12:30 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

"Texas" will not save the "Big 12." It only has the power to destroy.

Lesser known quotes by Frodo Baggins.
07-11-2017 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.