Fairgrounds Movement Triggers Liberty Bowl Questions
Bookmark and Share
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
Fairgrounds Movement Triggers Liberty Bowl Questions
I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/20...questions/

IMO. They should just give the fairgrounds to the UofM.
07-06-2017 03:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

RE: Fairgrounds Movement Triggers Liberty Bowl Questions
(07-06-2017 03:36 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

I'll add. Jones is absolutely right.
07-06-2017 03:37 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Maybe a deal kind of like USC has with the Coliseum

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-06-2017 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(07-06-2017 03:37 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 03:36 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  I didn't see this posted anywhere else.

About what? Surely not expanding the LB for 1-2 additional events per year when it hasn't been filled in years & instead has been down-sized. That idea is typical of the folks that want taxes to develop without there being a payback. The LB, with bldgs in place for the Mid-South Fair, a high school FB field and several rec. baseball fields, was never a problem for parking 55K for Memphis FB when OM, UTK or MSU came to town. And BTW, it's only a potential problem 1-2X/yr not 9 times. So why now? That said, the development must pay it's way or it will be yet another Memphis white-elephant. Memphis needs using/paying tenants, not using/mooching tenants.
07-06-2017 04:42 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Disagree with Jones. (And BTW - I can't think of any other person in charge of a single non-national event who has tried to leverage that event more than Jones has over the years.)

Parking is not the major issue. Funny he uses them as examples, because I've walked miles to get into Old Miss or UTK on gameday. And with Uber and attendance trends, I have to think fewer people will be driving to games for the next few years to come. Our game situation is fine. I have to think the Childrens' Museum can find a way to deal with it for a few days a year, as well. Especially since we always have a multiple night/non-Saturday games each year.

And, no, we don't need to expand the stadium hoping to get a concert. It would be nice to get the stadium tours, but not feasible. Heck, we have a hard time getting the A-list arena acts and the FEF is perfectly fine for that.

They do need to find some other investors willing to move in there, though. Private industry with maybe some subsidy on the leasing - but not taxes. And find a use for the MSC or tear it down - like this year. Get retail, hospitality in the MSC area and around the perimeter - especially on Central and Airways borders. Take advantage of 2 university campuses and the proximity to the midtown revival.
07-06-2017 05:24 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

What happened to the brewery proposal for the MSC?

And related to FB at the LB - and for city of Memphis benefit, Tiger Lane & Fairgrounds security year round, why not use the SW few acres of the Fairgrounds for a private RV park? It would always be full during the game weekends, & likely attract substantial interest by tourists year round who come thru Memphis and need a base from which to visit Memphis attractions. More importantly, the revenues could provide security for the entire Fairgrounds proper. Just saw a survey that says RVers now represent 10% of the US population & growing faster than any other recreation segment.
07-06-2017 05:51 PM
Advertisement

Unionman76 Offline
Heisman

i like how smu has it

you can ride the DART from all around the city and get off close to the stadium

then ride a shuttle bus to the stadium

(i think houston has something like that also)
07-06-2017 06:44 PM
UofMark Offline
Heisman

(07-06-2017 05:51 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  What happened to the brewery proposal for the MSC?

After a few months of due diligence the potential owners decided it wasn't feasible and decided to not pursue it.
07-06-2017 07:06 PM
tigerlands Offline
Hall of Famer

No way they should expand the LB. Parking can be a problem but it happens everywhere you have 50K+ people at one event, even in the biggest stadiums. LB parking is better than many stadiums, and worse than some. I could see them adding parking to the old Libertyland area. But you can't have a spot for every vehicle that comes to a game, not realistic. Jones wants whats best for his event, can't blame him. But fans understand that parking will be an issue, so this is not a priority in my book. Improve it every year at modest pace.
07-06-2017 07:13 PM
memtigbb Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(07-06-2017 05:51 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  What happened to the brewery proposal for the MSC?

And related to FB at the LB - and for city of Memphis benefit, Tiger Lane & Fairgrounds security year round, why not use the SW few acres of the Fairgrounds for a private RV park? It would always be full during the game weekends, & likely attract substantial interest by tourists year round who come thru Memphis and need a base from which to visit Memphis attractions. More importantly, the revenues could provide security for the entire Fairgrounds proper. Just saw a survey that says RVers now represent 10% of the US population & growing faster than any other recreation segment.

The cost to renovate the Coliseum is so much that you could build a new, state of the art, building.
07-06-2017 07:47 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

Hear is an idea. Get with the city and CBU and have a .City/U of M/CBU parking garage build on central. Partially paid for by the city partly by UofM and partly by CBU.

Will allow for more parking year round for the students at CBU and then give more parking for football fans during games at the LBS. It could also be used for the Children's museum. Give CBU a parking pass and then charge for the general public.
07-06-2017 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-06-2017 08:47 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Hear is an idea. Get with the city and CBU and have a .City/U of M/CBU parking garage build on central. Partially paid for by the city partly by UofM and partly by CBU.

Will allow for more parking year round for the students at CBU and then give more parking for football fans during games at the LBS. It could also be used for the Children's museum. Give CBU a parking pass and then charge for the general public.

CBU doesn't have any money. Their endowment is less than a third of ours, and they completely rely on tuition to keep the doors open. If they don't get enrollment up they will end up like Lambuth and the numerous other small colleges that have gone under. [1]

We would have to foot the entire bill, when we already have serious parking issues on the main campus. And honestly, we compete for the same students, and not to mention the same pool of donations.

I believe. We should give the fairgrounds completely to the University and start a public-private partnership with local companies and start an innovation campus with local companies like what Wichita State has done. [2]

There would be huge demand for class A office space in Midtown.

[1] - https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015...riple-2017
[2] - http://wsuinnovationcampus.org/
07-07-2017 08:32 AM
DallasTiger Online
Hall of Famer

If they are going to have concerts too....then building parking garages may be an option. Could there ever be an agreement between the city and private industry to turn some of that area into apartments, business areas and restaurants?
07-07-2017 08:45 AM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2017 08:45 AM)DallasTiger Wrote:  If they are going to have concerts too....then building parking garages may be an option. Could there ever be an agreement between the city and private industry to turn some of that area into apartments, business areas and restaurants?

There would never be a enough LB concert business to justify building parking garages. It would require some type of business generated daily/weekly/continuous annual commerce to justify such investment.
07-07-2017 09:04 AM
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I like the RV idea for starters. Easy way to make money just ask the AgriCenter.
07-07-2017 09:21 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-07-2017 08:32 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 08:47 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Hear is an idea. Get with the city and CBU and have a .City/U of M/CBU parking garage build on central. Partially paid for by the city partly by UofM and partly by CBU.

CBU doesn't have any money. Their endowment is less than a third of ours, and they completely rely on tuition to keep the doors open. If they don't get enrollment up they will end up like Lambuth and the numerous other small colleges that have gone under. [1]

We would have to foot the entire bill, when we already have serious parking issues on the main campus. And honestly, we compete for the same students, and not to mention the same pool of donations.

I believe. We should give the fairgrounds completely to the University and start a public-private partnership with local companies and start an innovation campus with local companies like what Wichita State has done. [2]

Speaking of WSU, their Innovation Campus is organised through a partnership called WSU Ventures. [1]

Memphis announced a new company called UofM Ventures this week. [2]

[1] - http://www.wsuventures.org/
[2] - https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news...erson.html
07-07-2017 10:29 AM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-07-2017 10:29 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

Speaking of WSU, their Innovation Campus is organised through a partnership called WSU Ventures. [1]

This article sheds a bit more light on what's going on with the fairgrounds. [1]
They want to run the fairgrounds like Shelby Farms, with a private board. In theory this is fine, but it matters who is on it. I don't know who the Friends of the Fairgrounds (FOTF) are, but I would be concern if people are pushing back.

[1] - https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news...posal.html
07-07-2017 10:34 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

(07-07-2017 10:34 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 10:29 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

This article sheds a bit more light on what's going on with the fairgrounds. [1]
They want to run the fairgrounds like Shelby Farms, with a private board. In theory this is fine, but it matters who is on it. I don't know who the Friends of the Fairgrounds (FOTF) are, but I would be concern if people are pushing back.

[1] - https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news...posal.html

Yeah. I don't know about these guys. [1] Looks like a real estate developer is AstroTurfing. Who knows.

[1] - http://www.fairgroundsfriends.org/
07-07-2017 10:45 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

yeah, the Agricenter RV park is always full it seems...that's a solid idea.

put the spots around the Liberty Land green space you you would have a nice open green field right outside your RV.
07-07-2017 10:45 AM
memtiger1987 Offline
All American

(07-06-2017 04:42 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 03:37 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

About what? Surely not expanding the LB for 1-2 additional events per year when it hasn't been filled in years & instead has been down-sized. That idea is typical of the folks that want taxes to develop without there being a payback. The LB, with bldgs in place for the Mid-South Fair, a high school FB field and several rec. baseball fields, was never a problem for parking 55K for Memphis FB when OM, UTK or MSU came to town. And BTW, it's only a potential problem 1-2X/yr not 9 times. So why now? That said, the development must pay it's way or it will be yet another Memphis white-elephant. Memphis needs using/paying tenants, not using/mooching tenants.

Totally agree. I'd still rather see them taking out seats (additional tarping, more chair backs). Makes the tickets more in demand and makes the stadium seem full). But I definitely can't see why in the world that you'd expand seating.

I'd also demolish the coliseum. That would provide additional parking and just get rid of an abandoned building. A lot of us have great memories of the building (especially Tiger basketball and concerts), but it is in disrepair and no one really has a use for it. The brewery idea was a surprise, but even they sobered up after looking more closely at the financials.

I'd still love to see a new stadium, but unless Fred Smith decides to fund it (very unlikely), it's just not a reality now.
07-07-2017 11:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.