Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Corona: official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
At Corona: official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns
http://m.chron.com/sports/longhorns/arti...266845.php

The University of Texas athletics department announced a partnership with Corona Extra, naming the imported beer an official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns.

As part of its relationship with Texas, Corona has adopted the slogan, "Horns Up, Limes In!"

"Texas is proud to join with the Corona Extra team to promote the excitement and pageantry of collegiate sports," said Texas men's athletic director Mike Perrin, who leads an athletic program that started selling beer at football, basketball and baseball game two years ago.

The sponsorship includes access to the university's football, basketball and baseball programs, a responsible drinking campaign, hospitality, tickets, media exposure on the Longhorn Network, and access to the "Texas Exes" alumni community. Corona also has use of University trademarks for use in certain point-of-sale, social, digital and other advertising materials.
07-05-2017 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Corona: official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns
(07-05-2017 10:32 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  http://m.chron.com/sports/longhorns/arti...266845.php

The University of Texas athletics department announced a partnership with Corona Extra, naming the imported beer an official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns.

As part of its relationship with Texas, Corona has adopted the slogan, "Horns Up, Limes In!"

"Texas is proud to join with the Corona Extra team to promote the excitement and pageantry of collegiate sports," said Texas men's athletic director Mike Perrin, who leads an athletic program that started selling beer at football, basketball and baseball game two years ago.

The sponsorship includes access to the university's football, basketball and baseball programs, a responsible drinking campaign, hospitality, tickets, media exposure on the Longhorn Network, and access to the "Texas Exes" alumni community. Corona also has use of University trademarks for use in certain point-of-sale, social, digital and other advertising materials.

And the SECN is now available in 22 Mexican cities. Hmm?
07-05-2017 11:30 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-05-2017 11:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 10:32 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  http://m.chron.com/sports/longhorns/arti...266845.php

"Just say the report of my death has been grossly exaggerated.” -ESPN.
07-06-2017 07:12 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-06-2017 07:12 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 11:30 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

"Just say the report of my death has been grossly exaggerated.” -ESPN.

I truly loved reading Twain/Clemens.
07-06-2017 08:50 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Corona: official sponsor of the Texas Longhorns
Gotta have Texas in the ACC now, pizza & beer go together like pb&j!
07-06-2017 09:38 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
07-06-2017 05:46 PM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I am surprised with this action. Alcohol is causing problems on campuses all over the country. I am not being an old fuddy-duddy. I think it works for professional sports, just maybe a bad choice for a college.
07-08-2017 12:18 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2017 12:18 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I am surprised with this action. Alcohol is causing problems on campuses all over the country. I am not being an old fuddy-duddy. I think it works for professional sports, just maybe a bad choice for a college.
I agree. However for the first time in my lifetime we have some SEC schools pushing this within our conference. They want the high dollar concessions from beer sales. I say if that is going to happen then the game day experiences will deteriorate further, and liability for drunks driving home will become a real possibility.

I have always liked my fresh Guinness when I could find it, but I have profound reservations with regards to campus venues selling beer to large crowds and with few enforcement personnel on site.
07-08-2017 03:53 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(07-08-2017 03:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-08-2017 12:18 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  I am surprised with this action. Alcohol is causing problems on campuses all over the country. I am not being an old fuddy-duddy. I think it works for professional sports, just maybe a bad choice for a college.
I agree. However for the first time in my lifetime we have some SEC schools pushing this within our conference. They want the high dollar concessions from beer sales. I say if that is going to happen then the game day experiences will deteriorate further, and liability for drunks driving home will become a real possibility.

I have always liked my fresh Guinness when I could find it, but I have profound reservations with regards to campus venues selling beer to large crowds and with few enforcement personnel on site.
http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m...16aaa.html

If Baptist Wake Forest can sell beer...............
The drive for money to "keep up" will make anyone do crazy things!!!

A great venue, btw, if you ever have a chance to see a game there go.

for you JR http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m...09aac.html
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2017 05:06 PM by XLance.)
07-08-2017 05:06 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2017 05:06 PM)XLance Wrote:  

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m...16aaa.html

If Baptist Wake Forest can sell beer...............
The drive for money to "keep up" will make anyone do crazy things!!!

A great venue, btw, if you ever have a chance to see a game there go.

for you JR http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m...09aac.html

Yep, that helped us get rid of Doug Barfield.
07-08-2017 05:30 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Drinking has been happening at games for decades. It was called tailgating and bootlegging
07-08-2017 08:54 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-08-2017 08:54 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  Drinking has been happening at games for decades. It was called tailgating and bootlegging

Yeah, but there is a limit to what you can smuggle in and usually it is shared. And the game is long enough that if you got sauced tailgating you have time to sober up. There's a big difference between tossing down the stadium cups and trying to leave immediately following and the other.
07-08-2017 09:30 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM

No alcohol was sold at Doak Campbell back when I used to go to the FSU games, but that was 20 years ago. The trip down the street to the stadium was like one big bar though.
07-08-2017 11:11 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I'm not so sure selling alcohol in the stadiums will lead to greater drunkeness.

Theoretically, people get drunk before the game in order to "stock up" if you will because it won't be available during the game. That and/or they'll sneak in harder alcohol to the game because it can be found in small containers which are easy to hide and then mix with drinks that are sold in the stadium.

If you're selling beer in the stadium though then there's no need to go to all that trouble. I don't think most people would. We're talking about essentially the same demographic that attend pro sporting events. I don't think we should undersell the fact that the availability of alcohol at pro venues is a part of what creates a different culture in the stands.

The only real difference would be the concentration of college kids. I've encountered plenty of drunk frat boys in my times at Bama games and I don't think anything's going to change that. Some of them will legally be able to purchase beer and they'll take advantage of that while most of them won't be allowed. They'll still smuggle in liquor bottles if they can get away with it so I don't think there'll be much of a difference there.

With that said, selling beer in the stadiums may actually create an incentive for the schools to beef up security. Not because they're necessarily worried about how much people are drinking but for the same reason the government comes down on moonshiners...revenue. The government doesn't like losing out on tax dollars and the schools won't want to lose out on sales in the stadium.

Anyway, I'd like to see some studies of how things changed or didn't change at locales where stadium sales have been legalized. I think that will tell us a lot.

Full disclose, I don't even drink.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 02:30 AM by AllTideUp.)
07-09-2017 02:29 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Allowing alcohol sales in stadiums is long overdue. Very frustrating that the SEC tabled this in May. LSU was the school wanting to allow a pilot program.
07-11-2017 05:53 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-11-2017 05:53 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Allowing alcohol sales in stadiums is long overdue. Very frustrating that the SEC tabled this in May. LSU was the school wanting to allow a pilot program.

That hasn't changed in almost 50 years. Back in the early 70's Anheuser Busch wanted to donate their new student activities center. Their only request was that the center serve their product. L.S.U. was hot for the deal, but the SEC denied it.

On this issue I'm conflicted. I'm a firm believer that if you are old enough to die in the jungles of Viet Nam or the desert lands of an oil producing country then you are old enough to chug a suds. But I've also seen college kids die at frat parties. And way too many have died on the highways while driving impaired, or even worse, have ended the lives of others because of it.

So, I don't pretend to have any answer to this. Those who are responsible shouldn't be denied. Those who aren't are probably going to be irresponsible anyway. I suppose the conference has stood against it for a couple of reasons some of which are probably no longer as big.

I don't think they are afraid of the mores of the Bible Belt any longer, but they are afraid of the liability and the preponderance of attorneys who would love a fat budget to sue. And I guess that's where you will find your answer as to why it continues to be a problem for the SEC.
07-11-2017 12:13 PM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
(07-11-2017 12:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 05:53 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  Allowing alcohol sales in stadiums is long overdue. Very frustrating that the SEC tabled this in May. LSU was the school wanting to allow a pilot program.

That hasn't changed in almost 50 years. Back in the early 70's Anheuser Busch wanted to donate their new student activities center. Their only request was that the center serve their product. L.S.U. was hot for the deal, but the SEC denied it.

On this issue I'm conflicted. I'm a firm believer that if you are old enough to die in the jungles of Viet Nam or the desert lands of an oil producing country then you are old enough to chug a suds. But I've also seen college kids die at frat parties. And way too many have died on the highways while driving impaired, or even worse, have ended the lives of others because of it.

So, I don't pretend to have any answer to this. Those who are responsible shouldn't be denied. Those who aren't are probably going to be irresponsible anyway. I suppose the conference has stood against it for a couple of reasons some of which are probably no longer as big.

I don't think they are afraid of the mores of the Bible Belt any longer, but they are afraid of the liability and the preponderance of attorneys who would love a fat budget to sue. And I guess that's where you will find your answer as to why it continues to be a problem for the SEC.

I've long been of the opinion that 18 should be the legal drinking age as well. The 21 limit has never stopped college students from drinking and has only created a binge drinking culture of private parties instead of one where people drink socially in bars. Sadly I don't think this will ever change unless 18-20 year olds start voting and making it a campaign issue.

I do think the "bible belt" has a lot to do with it here, and lack of leadership has a lot to do with there being no movement on this. I understand the concerns of liability, but if Louisville, Texas, WVU, and Ohio State can make it work then I think anyone can.
07-12-2017 08:51 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

It's official, I'm a Sol man now

[Image: sol_beer_nrb_330ml.jpg]
07-12-2017 05:55 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-12-2017 05:55 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  It's official, I'm a Sol man now

[Image: sol_beer_nrb_330ml.jpg]

If I can't have a Guinness on tap, I'll take a Dos Equis Amber thank you.
07-12-2017 07:19 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-12-2017 07:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  If I can't have a Guinness on tap, I'll take a Dos Equis Amber thank you.

Nein! Gutes bier kommt aus Deutschland!

[Image: dscn22592.jpg]
07-12-2017 09:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.