Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Slow rumor period making me hunt...
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Exclamation Slow rumor period making me hunt...

The Dude did a realignment segment with a WVU social media guy earlier this summer. Here are some of the highlights or lowlights depending on your point of view:

* in 1994, dude thinks WVU might have turned down an SEC offer. BC, 'cues Pitt and one other Big East football threatened to leave and form an 8 team conference with WVU, VT, Temple and another. That proposed 8 school conference had a CBS deal paying $8.5M/school/year. Big East added WVU and Rutgers because Big East thought SEC was after WVU.

* thinks WVU could have the votes to enter ACC today. Sold "No" votes from UNC, Duke and Wake Forest

* Espn will tell ACC who to add. B12 added best available football schools that delivered the best ratings per ESPN.

*UConn doesn't add enough to ACCN that Boston College doesn't deliver. UConn won't add more of the NYC market either

* Today he thinks B12/OU/UT stays together for another TV contract. B12 might poach from PAC or even merge with them; WVU would join ACC and Baylor would get left behind in that merger

* if Norte Dame fully joined ACC, WVU would be at the top of the list for number 16. Thinks WVU would now prefer ACC invite over SEC one, but wouldn't turn down either.

* believes WVU had conditional offer to join SEC if Missouri refused.

* Three things SEC didn't like about WVU during evaluation process:
1. Facilities
2. Not certain the state could help financially
3. WVU couldn't tell SEC how they could renovate facilities at that time. (Example was issues brought up during LSU visit to Morgantown).

* huge chunk of WVU 's first B12 paycheck financed SEC renovation requests

* LSU and Alabama stopped the Mizzou vote. Saban lobbied for eastern expansion with WVU to preserve their schedule. LSU wanted to keep Alabama a yearly contest. Slive compromise was Mizzou to the east.
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2017 05:21 PM by murrdcu.)
07-03-2017 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: Slow rumor period making me hunt...
Absolute Horse Biscuits from the word go. WVU applied to the SEC in '91 and we didn't even vote on the application. They were tabled. There was no offer then, no offer in 2011-2, and likely won't ever be an offer. Pure Dude crap!

Their problem with LSU's visit was that a gang of their fans punched the pregnant wife of an LSU booster. That game, and the state of their facilities at the time, had nothing to do with their realignment. What the Dude could honestly say is that WVU would not turn down any P4 offer if the Big 12 was imploding or merging, or whatever.

I agree they have a shot at the ACC and have a very long shot as a 4th in an expanded SEC move. But in all likelihood the SEC won't be adding WVU. The Big 10 won't either.

In 2010-1 we did send them a prospectus related to facilities but I've posted that enough times, as have a few others who knew about it, that he could have gleaned that information from a thread 5 years ago. I'm sure they have improved facilities because they couldn't even come to vote in the SEC or ACC without first doing that. But I imagine it had more to do with coming up to standards for the Big 12.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 11:53 AM by JRsec.)
07-03-2017 06:23 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
As far as the Dude of WV goes, these are not absurd talking points.

If the Big 12 goes go away, I can easily see WVU going to ACC with ND. I think WVU probably has more value to the ACC than to the SEC. Don't know about Uconn's value, but would think Cincy would have some value and be considered as a major competitor for that spot, as well as Houston, etc.

I could also see Texas announcing a year or two before the GOR ends that they were going to stay in the Big 12 for another dozen years or so, which would bring the stability needed to grab say Arizona/Arizona State (at current $, a move could earn those two say 180 million extra over that time). Then the Big 12 GOR and the ACC GOR line up pretty well too for a free for all in 2036 or so. That also gives alot more time for the previous round of expansion to settle in.

At that point, the ACC could raid the Big 12, or the SEC/Big 12/Big 10 could raid the ACC:
Big 12: Louisville, Miami, GT, Pitt
SEC: VT, NC State, FSU, Clemson
Big 10: Boston College, Syracuse, UVA, Duke, UNC, ND
Left out: Wake

Completely spitballing, but that Texas decides to keep the Big 12 alive for a while is fairly reasonable.
07-03-2017 08:23 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(07-03-2017 08:23 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  As far as the Dude of WV goes, these are not absurd talking points.

If the Big 12 goes go away, I can easily see WVU going to ACC with ND. I think WVU probably has more value to the ACC than to the SEC. Don't know about Uconn's value, but would think Cincy would have some value and be considered as a major competitor for that spot, as well as Houston, etc.

I could also see Texas announcing a year or two before the GOR ends that they were going to stay in the Big 12 for another dozen years or so, which would bring the stability needed to grab say Arizona/Arizona State (at current $, a move could earn those two say 180 million extra over that time). Then the Big 12 GOR and the ACC GOR line up pretty well too for a free for all in 2036 or so. That also gives alot more time for the previous round of expansion to settle in.

At that point, the ACC could raid the Big 12, or the SEC/Big 12/Big 10 could raid the ACC:

Completely spitballing, but that Texas decides to keep the Big 12 alive for a while is fairly reasonable.

Agree, if Texas stays, B12 still around. I would think ESPN would backfill with best available football brands available. So, worse case scenario, Big 12 loses KU, OU, OSU and WVU. Possible replacements would be Houston, BYU, Boise, Cincinnati...Ouch, maybe UT just goes independent
07-03-2017 09:25 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-03-2017 09:25 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(07-03-2017 08:23 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  As far as the Dude of WV goes, these are not absurd talking points.

Agree, if Texas stays, B12 still around. I would think ESPN would backfill with best available football brands available. So, worse case scenario, Big 12 loses KU, OU, OSU and WVU. Possible replacements would be Houston, BYU, Boise, Cincinnati...Ouch, maybe UT just goes independent

Guys, the whole game is Texas. 70% of the total viewers in the Big 12 are in Texas. ESPN will take OSU and compensate the SEC well if we also land OU. Why? ESPN figures the only way to get Texas to commit is to take OU which gives the SEC everything they need to have equal access to all of Texas without the Longhorns. Without the leverage Texas will deal for what they can get that most resembles what they have now.

Arkansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech, with A&M as a cross divisional rival gives them that.

ESPN gains all of Oklahoma and all of Texas exclusively which gives them 80% of all of the viewers in the Big 12, and the only two states that are growing and have rabid college fan bases which means a high % of viewers each Saturday. And that equals the maximum ad rates for 31 million viewers with access from potentially 5 regional games a week which is huge money. That's where the value is. That's what ESPN is after.
07-03-2017 10:11 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I think the Dude needs to lay off the drugs.
07-04-2017 02:25 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU

Ah Wake, I've lost so many reputation points because of them.
07-04-2017 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.