Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS"
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS"
Quote:A World War II veteran gave a cold, hard reality check when he overheard some people talking about ISIS and how you “can’t kill an ideology”, and how we should follow President Obama’s advice to fight them with diplomacy.

The conversation took place inside a bar, where the WW2 veteran overhead the conversation and had to put in his battle-hardened wisdom.

As told to the Dysfunctional Veterans Facebook page, the crusty old veteran unleashed this tidbit of knowledge:

“The hell you can’t. Because we did it."

“These Muslims are no different than the [Imperial] Japanese. The Japs had their suicide bombers too. And we stopped them."

“What it takes is the resolve and will to use a level of brutality and violence that your generations can’t stomach. And until you can, this **** won’t stop."

“It took us on the beaches with bullets, clearing out caves with flame throwers, and men like LeMay burning down their cities killing people by the tens of thousands. And then it took 2 atom bombs on top of it."

“But if that was what it took to win we were willing to do it. Until you are willing to do the same…well I hope you enjoy this ****, because it ain’t going to stop.”

http://tribunist.com/military/this-salty...-off-isis/
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 09:22 AM by UTSAMarineVet09.)
05-26-2017 09:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS"
Smart Veteran there !
05-26-2017 09:24 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
RE: This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS&...
(05-26-2017 09:21 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
Quote:A World War II veteran gave a cold, hard reality check when he overheard some people talking about ISIS and how you “can’t kill an ideology”, and how we should follow President Obama’s advice to fight them with diplomacy.

The conversation took place inside a bar, where the WW2 veteran overhead the conversation and had to put in his battle-hardened wisdom.

As told to the Dysfunctional Veterans Facebook page, the crusty old veteran unleashed this tidbit of knowledge:

“These Muslims are no different than the [Imperial] Japanese. The Japs had their suicide bombers too. And we stopped them."

“What it takes is the resolve and will to use a level of brutality and violence that your generations can’t stomach. And until you can, this **** won’t stop."

“It took us on the beaches with bullets, clearing out caves with flame throwers, and men like LeMay burning down their cities killing people by the tens of thousands. And then it took 2 atom bombs on top of it."

“But if that was what it took to win we were willing to do it. Until you are willing to do the same…well I hope you enjoy this ****, because it ain’t going to stop.”

There is just one thing wrong with this man's analogy. Japan was a sovereign nation fighting a relatively conventional war. We knew where to find them and what to bomb.

We can't really do that against terrorists because they are in every country in the world.

We've invaded countries that harbor terrorists but that hasn't worked, we can drop bombs on areas where there are known terrorists. That hasn't worked.

We can even drop an atomic bomb if we wanted to but I doubt we would know where to drop it.

We can't fight an unconventional enemy by unconventional means.
05-26-2017 09:29 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

RE: This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS&...
(05-26-2017 09:29 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

There is just one thing wrong with this man's analogy. Japan was a sovereign nation fighting a relatively conventional war. We knew where to find them and what to bomb.

We can't really do that against terrorists because they are in every country in the world.

We've invaded countries that harbor terrorists but that hasn't worked, we can drop bombs on areas where there are known terrorists. That hasn't worked.

We can even drop an atomic bomb if we wanted to but I doubt we would know where to drop it.

I think you missed the whole point of his speech.
05-26-2017 09:38 AM
49RFootballNow Online
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: This Salty WW2 Marine Gives the Perfect Response to "You Can't Kill Off ISIS"
Reading an interesting book called "Hell to Pay" which is about Operation Downfall, the planned invasion of Japan in two separate operations. Operation Olympic, the invasion of southern Kyushu in November of 1945; and Operation Coronet, the invasion of the Kanto Plain around Tokyo in April of 1946. Really good stuff in that book, including declassified documents from both sides explaining the plans and motivations of the leaders involved. Let's just say that even from reading just a few chapters we should be grateful the war ended when and how it did. Since my own grandfather was earmarked to be in the Pacific after Nazi Germany's defeat and my mom was born in 1950, I surely am grateful it ended "early".
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 09:41 AM by 49RFootballNow.)
05-26-2017 09:40 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-26-2017 09:38 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

If his point was that we no longer have the resolve to fight like we did in WWII? Then yes, I got his point and I don't disagree.

I'm just furthering the discussion by saying that even if we did, we wouldn't be able to fight terrorism the way we did the Japanese.
05-26-2017 09:47 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(05-26-2017 09:29 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  We can even drop an atomic bomb if we wanted to but I doubt we would know where to drop it.

I'm just an arm chair historian, and I could think of a number of places..........
05-26-2017 09:49 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-26-2017 09:49 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 09:29 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  We can even drop an atomic bomb if we wanted to but I doubt we would know where to drop it.

I'm just an arm chair historian, and I could think of a number of places..........

Where would you drop it? Mecca? Medina?
05-26-2017 09:50 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
(05-26-2017 09:50 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

That's outrageous. Why do you hate Islam?
05-26-2017 09:51 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-26-2017 09:51 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  

I'm curious. Where would you drop the bomb?
05-26-2017 09:53 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

(05-26-2017 09:53 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  

We can start with al-Mayadin...

Quote:U.S. military drones have watched hundreds of ISIS “bureaucrats,” or administrators, leaving Raqqa in the past two months for
the city of al-Mayadin located further down the Euphrates River from Deir el-Zour where U.S. Central Command announced that it killed mid-level ISIS “operative” Abdurakhmon Uzbeki.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04/21/...syria.html
05-26-2017 10:00 AM
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
I know some guys who were in Iraq and Afghanistan. They hated it and it ain't a good memory. But they would happily volunteer today to go to ISIS held territory and eject their rotten souls from the planet.

That business about kidnapping and selling little girls for sex slavery is enough for those guys to get on a plane and head that way.

They have the willpower if allowed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
05-26-2017 10:10 AM
200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina

They want to kill everyone not like them. Simple solution. Kill them first. Make the first hundred thousand or so deaths so brutal the rest of them won't think about coming out of their caves for another millennia.
05-26-2017 10:57 AM
UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Kinda makes you understand where this guy was coming from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vlad_the_Impaler
05-26-2017 10:59 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(05-26-2017 10:00 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 09:49 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  I'm just an arm chair historian, and I could think of a number of places..........

Quote:U.S. military drones have watched hundreds of ISIS “bureaucrats,” or administrators, leaving Raqqa in the past two months for
the city of al-Mayadin located further down the Euphrates River from Deir el-Zour where U.S. Central Command announced that it killed mid-level ISIS “operative” Abdurakhmon Uzbeki.

Okay let's follow that line of thinking for a minute.

If we were to drop a nuke on that city, what would be the impact?
05-26-2017 11:00 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
So many people do NOT know how to compete and WIN.

Just like in athletics .. ball game. To win and win decisively,.. one team has to take away the competition 's WILL to step into the batters box, or carry the ball. Take away the opposing team's WILL to take the field of play/battle.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 11:03 AM by South Carolina Duke.)
05-26-2017 11:01 AM
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

(05-26-2017 11:00 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 10:00 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  
(05-26-2017 09:50 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Where would you drop it? Mecca? Medina?

Okay let's follow that line of thinking for a minute.

If we were to drop a nuke on that city, what would be the impact?

You'll be cutting the head of the snake and the body will not have a direction to go.
05-26-2017 11:05 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(05-26-2017 09:38 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  

Yeah he missed it. As usual.

Weve had this talk before. We made a god go on he radio and tell his people that he was a man.

General Douglas MacArthur, in his capacity as Supreme Commander of Allied Powers in the Pacific, brings an end to Shintoism as Japan’s established religion. The Shinto system included the belief that the emperor, in this case Hirohito, was divine.

[Image: aircraft_ohka17.jpg]

Has America really become so poorly educated and stupid. Is WWII an obscure footnote of history?

http://www.ww2pacific.com/atrocity.html

Smh

Very thankful for my grandfathers. One a marine (Tarawa, Iwo Jima) the other a Seabee.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 11:11 AM by shere khan.)
05-26-2017 11:08 AM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Two places: Tehran and Pyongyan. A lot would be accomplished with those two. But make sure those ayatollahs are present and accounted for…and the little fat guy, Li'l Kim.

Sometimes I wonder why we have videos of Isis parades and nothing is done by the US and it's allies. Heck, you got them out in the open with banners and rifles all bunched up and ready for destruction. You might say, "but there's women and children present". Well, soon enough they'll know not to be present.

Another thing: During the Oblunder years we saw a huuuugggeee caravan of Isis vehicles heading to God knows where and not one bomb was dropped on that "Ducks in a Row" scenario. What gives? Why are our leaders so stupid? Don't answer that.
05-26-2017 11:16 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
The guys I know don't want to fight like animals, or carpet bomb or nuke cities.

They just want to be able to use common sense in fighting the enemy as professionally as they can.

That means, if a guy sprays your humvee with rounds...dropping his gun and running away afterwards does not turn him into a non-combatant.

That means that you try really hard to minimize civilian casualties in the completion of the mission...but the mission gets completed.

That means that you treat illegal combatants as illegal combatants. If they break the rules of war, try them on the battlefield and carry out the sentence.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 11:43 AM by ark30inf.)
05-26-2017 11:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.