Bookmark and Share
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
Thanks ESPN!
National TV Opener:
OSU@Indiana Thursday 08-31-17 8:00 PM

Elon@Toledo Thursday 08-31-17

We'll know who the real Rocket fans are.
05-26-2017 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Thanks ESPN!
Which OSU? UT vs Elon seems an odd choice. With good weather we'll get a decent crowd anyway.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 06:18 AM by H2Oville Rocket.)
05-26-2017 06:17 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Hate the Mouse
05-26-2017 10:47 AM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
(05-26-2017 06:12 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  National TV Opener:

UT as well as other schools, play these Labor Day weekend games on Thursday Night, because they believe too many students will head home for the long weekend, as opposed to sticking around for a Saturday football game.

With this scheduling, I see a huge reduction in the number of UT students attending this game. Maybe UT will do the right thing and move this game to SATURDAY!!!
05-26-2017 04:22 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(05-26-2017 04:22 PM)Rocket A Wrote:  

UT as well as other schools, play these Labor Day weekend games on Thursday Night, because they believe too many students will head home for the long weekend, as opposed to sticking around for a Saturday football game.

With this scheduling, I see a huge reduction in the number of UT students attending this game. Maybe UT will do the right thing and move this game to SATURDAY!!!

That would be nice.
05-26-2017 04:26 PM
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS

ESPN would not allow that.
05-26-2017 06:08 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(05-26-2017 06:08 PM)SylvaniaRocket Wrote:  

ESPN would not allow that.
I will be at the rocket game
05-26-2017 06:11 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(05-26-2017 10:47 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  Hate the Mouse

Hate the Big Rat.
05-27-2017 02:24 AM
RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

The NFL doesn't start until the following Sunday. I'm surprised that ESPN doesn't have a few college games on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.
05-27-2017 07:26 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(05-27-2017 07:26 AM)RocketJeff Wrote:  The NFL doesn't start until the following Sunday. I'm surprised that ESPN doesn't have a few college games on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

I believe they are:

WVU vs Va Tech
Texas A&M vs UCLA
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 08:30 AM by Boca Rocket.)
05-27-2017 08:28 AM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2017 08:28 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 07:26 AM)RocketJeff Wrote:  The NFL doesn't start until the following Sunday. I'm surprised that ESPN doesn't have a few college games on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

I believe they are:

WVU vs Va Tech
Texas A&M vs UCLA

and there is usually a primetime game on Monday as well.
05-27-2017 08:51 AM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball

SOOOO ... What is better for Toledo Football, to play on a Thursday night before 18,500 fans some recruits in the stands AND a respectable national TV audience which includes other UT fans from afar plus other potential UT recruits ...

ORRRRR ...

Play on Saturday with something like 23,500 fans, some recruits in the stands, but no national TV ... distant UT fans checking cell phones for the score and potential recruits watching some other FB team on TV?

This BTW is a serious question ...

Is this about what is best for YOU ... or is this about what is best for THE PROGRAM
05-27-2017 08:54 AM
Rocket A Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2017 08:54 AM)cleveland Wrote:  

SOOOO ... What is better for Toledo Football, to play on a Thursday night before 18,500 fans some recruits in the stands AND a respectable national TV audience which includes other UT fans from afar plus other potential UT recruits ...

ORRRRR ...

Play on Saturday with something like 23,500 fans, some recruits in the stands, but no national TV ... distant UT fans checking cell phones for the score and potential recruits watching some other FB team on TV?

Is this about what is best for YOU ... or is this about what is best for THE PROGRAM

There is NO, ZERO, NADA National TV audience for this game, it is on ESPN3!!! Same as if were on SATURDAY!!!

As far as what is best for ME, I have been to 51 straight Rocket football games, and 83 of the last 84, so obviously it doesn't matter to ME, when the Rockets play, I will be there.

As far as THE FANBASE is concerned, the PEOPLE who actually show up for the GAMES, TAILGATE, ETC... SATURDAY is the MUCH BETTER OPTION!!!
05-27-2017 09:00 AM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(05-27-2017 08:51 AM)Rocket A Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 08:28 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

I believe they are:

WVU vs Va Tech
Texas A&M vs UCLA

and there is usually a primetime game on Monday as well.

Tenn vs Ga Tech
05-27-2017 09:33 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
Thanks ESPN!
(05-27-2017 09:00 AM)Rocket A Wrote:  

ORRRRR ...

There is NO, ZERO, NADA National TV audience for this game, it is on ESPN3!!! Same as if were on SATURDAY!!!

As far as what is best for ME, I have been to 51 straight Rocket football games, and 83 of the last 84, so obviously it doesn't matter to ME, when the Rockets play, I will be there.

As far as THE FANBASE is concerned, the PEOPLE who actually show up for the GAMES, TAILGATE, ETC... SATURDAY is the MUCH BETTER OPTION!!!

Yep!!!!! No TV for the Thursday night game.
Also, because of it being a holiday weekend many Michigan high school games are on that Thursday since there is no school the following day, Friday. So No Michigan recruits visiting the game.
05-27-2017 04:02 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

ORRRRR ...

I'm with Rocket A on this one, move the season opener to the weekend!!! I absolutely cannot fathom why we're playing on a Thursday at the very same time as O$U opens its season, yet we're not on national television. Might take a big hit on what should be a sell out.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 04:19 PM by inductchuck16.)
05-27-2017 04:10 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(05-27-2017 04:10 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

ORRRRR ...

I'm with Rocket A on this one, move the season opener to the weekend!!! I absolutely cannot fathom why we're playing on a Thursday at the very same time as O$U opens its season, yet we're not on national television. Might take a big hit on what should be a sell out.

Michigan and Florida are playing @3:30 PM AT&T Stadium Arlington Texas on Saturday Sept 2nd. A good old Saturday 7PM Glass Bowl
game would be great.
05-28-2017 02:39 AM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
College football is to be played on Saturday. Period.
ESPN is ruining college football. Heck, you don't even have to have to have a winning record to go to a bowl game anymore; that's not earning a trip to a bowl game. More is not better!!
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 07:17 AM by letsgoblue.)
05-28-2017 07:16 AM
MotoRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
Well, ESPN had to fire something like 100 people because of poor financial performance. It would seem that can't even run their own business very well and we are allowing them to dictate how the MAC is run in terms of that revenue stream. I have grown to dislike ESPN more and more every year. What was great in the 80's and 90's has now shown how greedy college sports has become for the very large universities. I heard someone bragging about the fact that the UM spring practices in Rome was paid for by a donor. Amateur sports at it's finest.
05-28-2017 08:07 AM
San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
If we're talking Labour Day weekend; Thursday is our only choice for decent crowd.

Here's why:
  • History: for the last quarter century there's been more Thursday night Labour Day weekend games than Saturday. People are creatures of habit.
  • The first Rocket Football game of the year is always spectacle of debauchery--a place to see and be seen
  • 95% of our resident students (i.e. those who attend games) head home on Friday-- likely with a hangover.
  • Season ticket holders head "Up North" to close their cottages/lake houses while others will head to the Lake Erie Islands. Hardly nobody stays in town

For Labour Day Weekend; no doubt in my mind we are way more likely to garner 22,000 for a Thursday night game vs 15,000 for a Saturday game
05-28-2017 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.