Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Directors Cup (or whatever they call it these days)
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Directors Cup (or whatever they call it these days)
Kent has over 280 points (I believe an all time high). I have all ready counted 44 for men's golf (that's a 30th place finish, they will hopefully do much better). With track and baseball still to come a good finish could put us over 400. This already has been a good year but a strong finish might make it by far our best.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 11:47 AM by burden.)
05-25-2017 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Directors Cup (or whatever they call it these days)
For reference 400 points would have been good for 60th place last year and 4th place among non power 5 schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 11:31 AM by burden.)
05-25-2017 11:31 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Directors Cup (or whatever they call it these days)-100
With only baseball left we are in 61st (a little lower than I expected, but still pretty good). We are in seventh of non-power 5 schools. Cornell, Harvard, BYU (a power 5 school in my mind), Denver, New Mexico and another Ivy school who I can't remember right now are ahead of us.

Stanford is going to win for the 20th+ straight time. You think the formula is rigged for schools with 34 sponsored sports??????. Another one, Ohio St. does pretty well most years too. However the Stanford water polo and beach volleyball teams are just too tough.
06-20-2017 06:55 AM
Advertisement

dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(06-20-2017 06:55 AM)burden Wrote:  With only baseball left we are in 61st (a little lower than I expected, but still pretty good). We are in seventh of non-power 5 schools. Cornell, Harvard, BYU (a power 5 school in my mind), Denver, New Mexico and another Ivy school who I can't remember right now are ahead of us.

Stanford is going to win for the 20th+ straight time. You think the formula is rigged for schools with 34 sponsored sports??????. Another one, Ohio St. does pretty well most years too. However the Stanford water polo and beach volleyball teams are just too tough.

They really shouldn't get any points for sports that less than 80% of D1 teams participate. Seems only logical.
06-20-2017 11:07 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-20-2017 11:07 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(06-20-2017 06:55 AM)burden Wrote:  With only baseball left we are in 61st (a little lower than I expected, but still pretty good). We are in seventh of non-power 5 schools. Cornell, Harvard, BYU (a power 5 school in my mind), Denver, New Mexico and another Ivy school who I can't remember right now are ahead of us.

They really shouldn't get any points for sports that less than 80% of D1 teams participate. Seems only logical.

Yeah basketball gets 100pts. with 350 teams and men's gymnastics with about 15 teams also gets 100. Seems silly. They should get 10 at the most. That would hurt Kent in women's gymnastics, field hockey and wrestling but it sure seems to be a fairer way to do it. Also they only count the top 10 in women's and men's sports. That means Stanford gets 14 mulligans. They should average the 34 sports including the ones that get 0 points. Of course if someone like New Mexico wins the thing the big schools will just pull out and form their own competition. It will never be a remotely fair competition.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 06:23 PM by burden.)
06-20-2017 06:17 PM
Advertisement

Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
I do not think we should complain we make out like bandits for the most part due to that scoring. Otherwise there is no way we would have the highest score in the MAC almost every single year and be one of the better schools not in a power conference in this metric.

Besides the biggest reason schools do not compete is due to cost not from lack of desire.

Still we should be very proud of the list burden just gave only New Mexico and Denver are remotely similar to us (Ivy league schools have tons of money and sports around and BYU while not P5 has the resources to outright compete with many of them). Denver has some wealth but not enough to really put them outside of our reach so to speak ditto with New Mexico which is a state flagship but due to its resources is also not out of our league either really.
06-20-2017 06:47 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(06-20-2017 06:47 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  I do not think we should complain we make out like bandits for the most part due to that scoring. Otherwise there is no way we would have the highest score in the MAC almost every single year and be one of the better schools not in a power conference in this metric.

Besides the biggest reason schools do not compete is due to cost not from lack of desire.

Still we should be very proud of the list burden just gave only New Mexico and Denver are remotely similar to us (Ivy league schools have tons of money and sports around and BYU while not P5 has the resources to outright compete with many of them). Denver has some wealth but not enough to really put them outside of our reach so to speak ditto with New Mexico which is a state flagship but due to its resources is also not out of our league either really.

What Ivy league schools don't have is athletic scholarships!
06-20-2017 10:18 PM
Advertisement

Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(06-20-2017 10:18 PM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(06-20-2017 06:47 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  I do not think we should complain we make out like bandits for the most part due to that scoring. Otherwise there is no way we would have the highest score in the MAC almost every single year and be one of the better schools not in a power conference in this metric.

What Ivy league schools don't have is athletic scholarships!

True though that does not really stop them from getting much of what they want on the whole and if they wanted to they could offer whatever it takes to do whatever they wanted. Their reputation is enough that if they offer you an academic scholarship and you play those sports you almost will for sure take it and since their lack of athletic scholarships are voluntary they can choose to give scholarships to whomever they please.

Their situation is so different from most schools it just isn't really a fair comparison.
06-21-2017 01:01 PM
cschierh Offline
1st String

I Root For: Kent State
I read once that something like 500 Harvard freshmen were captains of their high school football team.
06-22-2017 01:13 AM
Advertisement

burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Ivy League also benefits by being involved in sports that few schools have. Women's ice hockey, rowing, fencing etc. it really helps their point total most years.
06-22-2017 05:57 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(06-20-2017 11:07 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  

Here are the sports with at least 80% participation (280 schools).
Women's: Basketball, XC, indoor track, outdoor track, soccer, volleyball, tennis and softball. Golf at 263 is at 75%, swimming 55%, LAX 32%

Men's: Basketball,XC, golf, baseball, indoor track and outdoor track. Tennis is at 75%, Football 73%, soccer 59%, swimming 38%

Of the 36 sponsored sports 12 have less than 50 teams(<14%) and another 7 less than 100 (<28%).

Amazingly enough if you use a number as high as 75%, Kent would only lose women's gymnastics and wrestling points (about 48 of their 400).
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2017 02:35 PM by burden.)
06-22-2017 02:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.