Former Marshall Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
Bookmark and Share
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Former Marshall Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
Sonny Randle Passes Away

Sonny was hired in 1979 at Marshall. His record at Marshall was a not good at all in his 5 years from 79-83 at 12-42-1. But he was the one that laid the foundation for Marshall to start winning. He brought in players like Carl Fodor, Keith Baxter, Larry Fourqurean, Terry Echols and others that would start Marshall's run in 1984.

Sonny went on to be a broadcaster after his coaching career was over. He and Keith Morehouse used to do Marshall games on WSAZ. Here are 2 of my favorite clips from Sonny.

Randy Moss Hurdle

1999 Marshall at Clemson -- Last Drive
05-24-2017 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
RE: Former Marshall Coach Sonny Randle Passes Away
So, Sonny Randle's legend is more prominent as an announcer for Marshall. But WOW did you guys enjoy some stellar moments with Chad Pennington and Randy Moss!!!!!!!
05-24-2017 04:08 PM
SPACESCAPE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: old dominion
"this iiiisssssss sonny randle sayin..... so long everybody"

Rest In Peace
05-24-2017 06:07 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2017 04:08 PM)MoodyBlueRaider Wrote:  So, Sonny Randle's legend is more prominent as an announcer for Marshall. But WOW did you guys enjoy some stellar moments with Chad Pennington and Randy Moss!!!!!!!

Sonny was a 2 sport athlete at UVA, he played football and ran track there. Sonny also spent 11 years in the NFL as a WR for the Chicago/St Louis Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins. In a run it down your throat league from 1959-1969 Sonny had 365 receptions for 5996 yards and recorded 65 TDs.

His time at Marshall there wasn't much success on the field and he was hard on his players. Both Mike Hamrick and Carl Lee (Minnesota, New Orleans) played under Randle, they were both on the radio today and agreed that Sonny done everything he could for them while at Marshall and genuinely cared about the players he had.

If I had 40 Mike Hamricks, you know what, John, Id still be coaching today. ---Sonny Randle
05-24-2017 08:27 PM
Advertisement

MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
As a kid, I used to collect as many Football cards as Baseball cards. Now, if I could only find that old card on St Louis Cardinal Wide Receiver Sonny Randle. He also played for the old Chicago Cardinals in the NFL. Everybody who remembers that there was ever a "Chicago Cardinals" team raise your hand. H'mmm. No takers? Guess most of you are too young. Anyway seems like Sonny was a class act.
05-25-2017 10:02 AM
SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
He was a good guy. Loved Marshall. He was a fan favorite. RIP.
05-25-2017 03:41 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(05-25-2017 10:02 AM)MoodyBlueRaider Wrote:  As a kid, I used to collect as many Football cards as Baseball cards. Now, if I could only find that old card on St Louis Cardinal Wide Receiver Sonny Randle. He also played for the old Chicago Cardinals in the NFL. Everybody who remembers that there was ever a "Chicago Cardinals" team raise your hand. H'mmm. No takers? Guess most of you are too young. Anyway seems like Sonny was a class act.

They stole Pottsville's 1925 NFL championship
05-25-2017 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
I forget if it was when I was in Norfolk or Richmond, but I remember Sonny Randle's Sports Minute on the local sports-talk station. It was always an entertaining little segment, even if it didn't exactly break new ground. Good voice, he had.
05-25-2017 05:33 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

Keith Morehouse is also the sports director at WSAZ in Huntington and does the majority of the sports anchoring. When doing Sonny's piece last night on the news you can visibly tell that Keith has been crying, his eyes are red and puffy and near the end of the segment you can tell if he doesn't end it now he will break down on camera.

Keith Morehouse WSAZ Tribute To Sonny Randle

Keith is also the son of the late Gene Morehouse who was the voice of The Thundering Herd. Keith lost his dad at the age of 9 when he perished on Southern Airways Flight 932.
05-25-2017 06:58 PM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
(05-24-2017 04:08 PM)MoodyBlueRaider Wrote:  So, Sonny Randle's legend is more prominent as an announcer for Marshall. But WOW did you guys enjoy some stellar moments with Chad Pennington and Randy Moss!!!!!!!

My college years were awesome. Had several classes with Chad. He was a genuine cool dude.
05-26-2017 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(05-24-2017 10:32 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Sonny Randle Passes Away

Sonny was hired in 1979 at Marshall. His record at Marshall was a not good at all in his 5 years from 79-83 at 12-42-1. But he was the one that laid the foundation for Marshall to start winning. He brought in players like Carl Fodor, Keith Baxter, Larry Fourqurean, Terry Echols and others that would start Marshall's run in 1984.

Sonny went on to be a broadcaster after his coaching career was over. He and Keith Morehouse used to do Marshall games on WSAZ. Here are 2 of my favorite clips from Sonny.

Randy Moss Hurdle

True he wasn't a great coach by any standard, but he's part of Marshall history and it's sad to hear of his passing. Heck I'm old enough to remember those years, I graduated with Carl Fodor and had several classes with him.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 08:16 PM by THE NC Herd Fan.)
05-26-2017 08:14 PM
stodgdog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
(05-24-2017 10:32 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  Sonny Randle Passes Away

Randy Moss Hurdle

Is this the Sonny Randle that was a receiver for the St Louis Cardinals when Charlie Johnson was QB?
05-26-2017 08:45 PM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
(05-26-2017 08:45 PM)stodgdog Wrote:  Is this the Sonny Randle that was a receiver for the St Louis Cardinals when Charlie Johnson was QB?

Yes, they were on the Cardinals together from 1961-1966.
(This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 08:52 PM by CoachMaclid.)
05-26-2017 08:52 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-26-2017 08:14 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  True he wasn't a great coach by any standard, but he's part of Marshall history and it's sad to hear of his passing. Heck I'm old enough to remember those years, I graduated with Carl Fodor and had several classes with him.

When Sonny was fired in 1983 he handed over a roster that could compete and win to Stan Parish. No Marshall team had ever been able to do that before. Sonny handed over 21 starters that included Carl Fodor, Terry Echols, Larry Fourquean and Keith Baxter. The only player that started that graduated was Carl Lee who was to busy getting ready for his 11 year NFL career.

Sonny Randle, and his asst. Jim Grobe, Bill Stewart and Bob Pruett are the ones that built the foundation for the future success of the Marshall Football Program.
05-26-2017 11:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.