Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Maulet - Bleacher Report Article
Bookmark and Share
mayhem Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
Exclamation Maulet - Bleacher Report Article
Except from Undrafted Rookies Making the Most Noise so Far This Offseason by Brent Sobleski.

Very few undrafted free agents walk into an NFL building with expectations already placed upon them. Most have to earn their way onto the field.

The New Orleans Saints think so highly of cornerback Arthur Maulet that the coaching staff already has a plan in place for the first-year defensive back.

"There's a vision for him," head coach Sean Payton said, per FOX 8 Live's Chris Hagan. "He's built well, and we see him being the smart player he is. We see him being a nickel candidate and someone that can play on the inside."

At 5'10" and 189 pounds with 4.62-second 40-yard-dash speed, Maulet isn't built to play outside the numbers in the NFL. That's why the organization chose Marshon Lattimore with the 11th overall pick. But Maulet's competitiveness, toughness and natural coverage skills make him an ideal nickel corner, as Payton stated.

"I'm a football player, and my 40 time doesn’t show how well I can move with my hips and my feet out of transition," the undrafted rookie said, per John DeShazier of the Saints official site. "I wanted to show them I can move and make plays with the football.”

Maulet graded as the second-best cornerback in this year's class, per Pro Football Focus. But he was even better covering the slot. As an outside corner, the Memphis product allowed a 60.2 quarterback rating. When he slid to nickel corner, the quarterback rating dropped to 39.6.

The New Orleans native should feel right at home in the Saints defense.
05-24-2017 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

holyterror Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Maulet - Bleacher Report Article
(05-24-2017 09:51 AM)mayhem Wrote:  Except from Undrafted Rookies Making the Most Noise so Far This Offseason by Brent Sobleski.

Very few undrafted free agents walk into an NFL building with expectations already placed upon them. Most have to earn their way onto the field.

The New Orleans Saints think so highly of cornerback Arthur Maulet that the coaching staff already has a plan in place for the first-year defensive back.

"There's a vision for him," head coach Sean Payton said, per FOX 8 Live's Chris Hagan. "He's built well, and we see him being the smart player he is. We see him being a nickel candidate and someone that can play on the inside."

At 5'10" and 189 pounds with 4.62-second 40-yard-dash speed, Maulet isn't built to play outside the numbers in the NFL. That's why the organization chose Marshon Lattimore with the 11th overall pick. But Maulet's competitiveness, toughness and natural coverage skills make him an ideal nickel corner, as Payton stated.

"I'm a football player, and my 40 time doesn’t show how well I can move with my hips and my feet out of transition," the undrafted rookie said, per John DeShazier of the Saints official site. "I wanted to show them I can move and make plays with the football.”

Maulet graded as the second-best cornerback in this year's class, per Pro Football Focus. But he was even better covering the slot. As an outside corner, the Memphis product allowed a 60.2 quarterback rating. When he slid to nickel corner, the quarterback rating dropped to 39.6.

Great article. WTG, Maulet!
A reminder that 40-yard dash speed isn't everything. Lots of players make it into the NFL by their Tenacity.
05-24-2017 10:06 AM
NDTiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I hope we continue the trend of NFL talent. We need to do a better job showcasing this at Tiger games and to recruits.
05-24-2017 10:29 AM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

(05-24-2017 10:29 AM)NDTiger Wrote:  I hope we continue the trend of NFL talent. We need to do a better job showcasing this at Tiger games and to recruits.

I agree. Paxton, Leary, and Gotti are not the only former Tigers in NFL.
Elliott got drafted, and there are a few more that are doing well.
I expect we will hear a lot about Jake this fall.
05-24-2017 11:33 AM
TG4 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-24-2017 11:33 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 10:29 AM)NDTiger Wrote:  I hope we continue the trend of NFL talent. We need to do a better job showcasing this at Tiger games and to recruits.

Keith Simpson once told me during his Senior season that the average 40 time for NFL DB's was 4.6 and he wasn't too concerned about his 40 time.

05-24-2017 11:47 AM
Advertisement

Bathtub Gin Offline
All American

I Root For: Free Market

Dontari Poe, Bobby McCain, Clint McDonald, Alan Cross
05-24-2017 11:49 AM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2017 11:49 AM)Bathtub Gin Wrote:  

Dontari Poe, Bobby McCain, Clint McDonald, Alan Cross

Stephen Gostkowski and DeAngelo Williams...
05-24-2017 12:05 PM
Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(05-24-2017 09:51 AM)mayhem Wrote:  Except from Undrafted Rookies Making the Most Noise so Far This Offseason by Brent Sobleski.

Great article and I glad to see Maulet earning respect at that level. I hope he has a long and successful career.
05-24-2017 12:06 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(05-24-2017 11:47 AM)TG4 Wrote:  

Keith Simpson once told me during his Senior season that the average 40 time for NFL DB's was 4.6 and he wasn't too concerned about his 40 time.

What a memory. I remember seeing that play live and thinking "take that, you hillbilly SOB!" 03-nutkick
05-24-2017 08:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.