Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

American Digital Network- Aresco Interview
gulfcoastgal Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
A lot of the same, but some good nuggets I hadn't heard before. I'm sure he knows where everything is on his desk, but I can't stand clutter. 01-lauramac2

05-21-2017 05:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
RE: American Digital Network- Aresco Interview
There's no one out there better or even come close to matching that of what Mike Aresco has done for this league... Glad the league was able to recognize Mike Aresco's dedication and passion he has for the AAC.

I'm definitely comfortable with Mike Aresco's leadership in running the AAC... I think he has some pretty nice things lined up for this league and why he was given this extension, IMHO.
05-21-2017 08:45 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Well it all sounded good to me and he did mention big Ed Oliver by name, that's pretty cool
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 08:51 PM by JHS55.)
05-21-2017 08:49 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

I Root For: The American
(05-21-2017 08:45 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  There's no one out there better or even come close to matching that of what Mike Aresco has done for this league... Glad the league was able to recognize Mike Aresco's dedication and passion he has for the AAC.

I'm definitely comfortable with Mike Aresco's leadership in running the AAC... I think he has some pretty nice things lined up for this league and why he was given this extension, IMHO.

What has he really done Big H? He took an unnamed and unstable product to the networks that caused us to get lowballed! He lost Boise St. and San Diego St. to the MWC—which was locked into to a tv contract. Navy is supposedly keeping all of its Army/Navy Game tv money. He is supposedly a tv expert….
05-21-2017 08:58 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(05-21-2017 08:58 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 08:45 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  There's no one out there better or even come close to matching that of what Mike Aresco has done for this league... Glad the league was able to recognize Mike Aresco's dedication and passion he has for the AAC.

What has he really done Big H? He took an unnamed and unstable product to the networks that caused us to get lowballed! He lost Boise St. and San Diego St. to the MWC—which was locked into to a tv contract. Navy is supposedly keeping all of its Army/Navy Game tv money. He is supposedly a tv expert….

Pretty sure tv exposure wasn't something that just landed on this league's lap on its own... Someone who understood that language did the lifting for the AAC when no one else with balls would, Underdog

LOL... Don't get me started with Boise state 04-cheers
05-21-2017 09:13 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-21-2017 09:13 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Pretty sure tv exposure wasn't something that just landed on this league's lap on its own... Someone who understood that language did the lifting for the AAC when no one else with balls would, Underdog

Big H…. Don’t act like you don’t know how we got our “tv exposure”—which was because ESPN matched what NBC offered us. It had nothing to do with our commissioner’s tv expertise…. Furthermore, we were still under the old BE tv contract (if I’m not mistaken) when he ill-advised the conference to take an unnamed and unstable product to the networks!
05-21-2017 09:22 PM
Advertisement

BigHouston Offline
STRONG

(05-21-2017 09:22 PM)Underdog Wrote:  

Big H…. Don’t act like you don’t know how we got our “tv exposure”—which was because ESPN matched what NBC offered us. It had nothing to do with our commissioner’s tv expertise…. Furthermore, we were still under the old BE tv contract (if I’m not mistaken) when he ill-advised the conference to take an unnamed and unstable product to the networks!

Who do you think was negotiating with NBC?!? Who you think negotiated the numbers $$$ to selling the OLDbigeast name?!?

This league could've crumble had they not had someone with tv expertise... C'mon, you know this, Underdog.
05-21-2017 09:55 PM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-21-2017 09:55 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  

Who do you think was negotiating with NBC?!? Who you think negotiated the numbers $$$ to selling the OLDbigeast name?!?

This league could've crumble had they not had someone with tv expertise... C'mon, you know this, Underdog.

You’re defending a commissioner that didn’t apply basic Business 101/Marketing 101/Remedial 101 principals: “NEVER TAKE AN UNAMED AND UNSTABLE PRODUCT TO MARKET!” Our product was so unstable at the time, ESPN placed schools into 2 groups—Houston is in Group A….
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 10:57 PM by Underdog.)
05-21-2017 10:26 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(05-21-2017 10:26 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 08:58 PM)Underdog Wrote:  What has he really done Big H? He took an unnamed and unstable product to the networks that caused us to get lowballed! He lost Boise St. and San Diego St. to the MWC—which was locked into to a tv contract. Navy is supposedly keeping all of its Army/Navy Game tv money. He is supposedly a tv expert….

You’re defending a commissioner that didn’t apply basic Business 101/Marketing 101/Remedial 101 principals: “NEVER TAKE AN UNAMED AND UNSTABLE PRODUCT TO MARKET!” Our product was so unstable at the time, ESPN placed schools into 2 groups—Houston is in Group A….

Do you think he had a choice as to what kind of product to take to the market? The contract was up and the league he was to lead got picked apart before the first six months of his tenure. Name me just one person who would have turned that cow pie into cheese cake?

05-22-2017 12:34 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-22-2017 12:34 AM)fishpro1098 Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 10:26 PM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 09:13 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  Pretty sure tv exposure wasn't something that just landed on this league's lap on its own... Someone who understood that language did the lifting for the AAC when no one else with balls would, Underdog

Do you think he had a choice as to what kind of product to take to the market? You name it (BASIC BUSINESS PRINCIPLES).... Furthermore, what written rule states that a conference has to have a tv contract? Consequently, we would have been better off waiting until the conference was named and appeared stable. UCF subsequently beat Baylor in a BCS Bowl and UCONN won a NCAA tournament (I’m going by memory so correct me if I’m wrong). We likely would have gotten $5 mil per school after those 2 epic events that occurred during the infancy of this conference. Instead, he rushed an unfinished product to market—which is inexcusable in my opinion. The contract was up and the league he was to lead got picked apart before the first six months of his tenure. Name me just one person who would have turned that cow pie into cheese cake? Read what I wrote in post #4 about him losing "Boise St. and San Diego St. to the MWC—which was locked into to a tv contract" and formulate your own opinion....

My response is in red ^
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 01:39 AM by Underdog.)
05-22-2017 01:01 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

Underdog:
Aresco said in the interview that he had never been a sports comish before but had worked at CBS and ESPN for 30 years and was a lawyer before that, so when he says he made some mistakes at first I can understand why, (his mistakes did not kill the new conference by the way)( Boise st and San Diego st being way to far)being a new comish and having a very unstable situation, yeah mistakes were made, that's understandable to me, why can't you understand this?, or mybe you do understand but feel like you could have done better and if so what are your credentials ( BASIC BUSINESS PRINCIPLES) come on man are you for real ? There was nothing basic about what the new conference was going to be about, looks like something you read in a book? writing in RED and all, well, you know what I feel pretty strongly about all this that Iam writing in BLACK.... yeah! see

My response is in black ^
Iam jhs55 and I approve this response
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 06:56 AM by JHS55.)
05-22-2017 06:01 AM
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
The conference members weren't willing to give Boise a special deal. What was Aresco supposed to do? Define the member schools? once Bosie was gone SDSU didn't make sense. I have zero problem with BSU and SDSU not being here.

As for taking an unnamed, unstable product to market, I don't know what options he had and I'd be shocked if many us here were privy to such information. It seems to be to be a rather complicated matter and I sure there were many discussions with member schools. If Aresco-the-tyrant is dragging this conference to ruin while securing an extension he must be a slick salesmen indeed and each of our institutional leaders are quite impotent.
05-22-2017 07:40 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-22-2017 06:01 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  Underdog:
Aresco said in the interview that he had never been a sports comish before but had worked at CBS and ESPN for 30 years and was a lawyer before that, so when he says he made some mistakes at first I can understand why, (his mistakes did not kill the new conference by the way)( Boise st and San Diego st being way to far)being a new comish and having a very unstable situation, yeah mistakes were made, that's understandable to me, why can't you understand this?, or mybe you do understand but feel like you could have done better and if so what are your credentials ( BASIC BUSINESS PRINCIPLES) come on man are you for real ? There was nothing basic about what the new conference was going to be about, looks like something you read in a book? writing in RED and all, well, you know what I feel pretty strongly about all this that Iam writing in BLACK.... yeah! see

Boise st and San Diego st being way to far” had nothing to do with losing both schools back to the MWC. Moreover, you’re not grasping the fact that the MWC was in a more direr and "unstable" predicament at the time than our unnamed and unstable conference. The MWC Commissioner knew that without Boise St., his conference would have become totally irrelevant. I would suggest to you that without Boise St., the MWC would have dropped lower in value and perception than the current CUSA. Therefore, sensing the urgency of the situation, the MWC Commissioner was able to reacquire both schools back to the MWC while locked into a tv contract. However, Aresco was negotiating a tv contract and couldn't keep both schools. This epitomizes my point to you in a previous post—not to mention that taking an unnamed and unstable product to market defies almost every Business and Marketing principle known to exist. Nevertheless, I’m not here to debate business principles with you….
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 08:15 AM by Underdog.)
05-22-2017 08:09 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
You need to clarify your "I Root For" line. Continually referencing "basic business principles" in posts defending "Big H" implies that you got your business degree at Houston, which doesn't help your argument.
05-22-2017 08:17 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-22-2017 08:09 AM)Underdog Wrote:  

Boise st and San Diego st being way to far” had nothing to do with losing both schools back to the MWC. Moreover, you’re not grasping the fact that the MWC was in a more direr and "unstable" predicament at the time than our unnamed and unstable conference. The MWC Commissioner knew that without Boise St., his conference would have become totally irrelevant. I would suggest to you that without Boise St., the MWC would have dropped lower in value and perception than the current CUSA. Therefore, sensing the urgency of the situation, the MWC Commissioner was able to reacquire both schools back to the MWC while locked into a tv contract. However, Aresco was negotiating a tv contract and couldn't keep both schools. This epitomizes my point to you in a previous post—not to mention that taking an unnamed and unstable product to market defies almost every Business and Marketing principle known to exist. Nevertheless, I’m not here to debate business principles with you….

The MW was able to negotiate its contract because "The Mountain"(the Mountain Wests Comference Network carried on cable at the time) was shuttered, a violation of the terms of their TV contract. In other words, there had been a substantial breach of the contact terms by the network. Without that, there would have been no renegotiation. It also took over a year to do,

As for why he took the conference to market---there was a real chance several of the schools might leave if there wasnt a TV deal on the table quick. Had he not landed the NBC del when he did, there was a very real chance the AAC would have collapsed without playing a single game.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 10:15 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-22-2017 08:26 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-22-2017 08:17 AM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  You need to clarify your "I Root For" line. Continually referencing "basic business principles" in posts defending "Big H" implies that you got your business degree at Houston, which doesn't help your argument.

I respectfully disagree with you. Please review my post to Big H again, and you will discover that we total disagree about the job Aresco has done. Therefore, I was not "defending 'Big H'"....
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 08:55 AM by Underdog.)
05-22-2017 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Underdog Offline
All American

(05-22-2017 08:26 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 08:09 AM)Underdog Wrote:  

The MW was able to negotiate its contract because "The Mountain"(the Mountain Wests Comference Network carried on cable at the time) was shuttered, a violation of the terms of their TV contract. In other words, there have been a breach of the contact terms by the network. Without that, there would have been no renegotiation. It also took over a year to do,

As for why he took the conference to market---there was a real chance several. Ore schools might leave if there wasnt a TV deal on the table quick. Had he not landed the NBC del when he did, there was a very real chance the AAC would have never collapsed without playing a single game.

Please read post #10. Also, where were the schools going...back to CUSA.....
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 09:26 AM by Underdog.)
05-22-2017 08:57 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Great talk on the OP interview, guys. 03-lmfao

Now, about that interview...

Nothing really new, but hey, it's the offseason. He talks a lot about his P6 narrative, autonomy, the need for more revenue, the need for a multi-tiered deal, the desire to detach ourselves from the G5 CFB Playoff payouts, our recruiting challenges in football, our better recruiting position in basketball, etc.

Says he pushed to get not just presidents involved in AAC business, but also the ADs, which is not typical.

Aresco says this is an important year, as we will soon go into contract talks.

Says we have 5 really good football teams this year (they are obviously Memphis, USF, Navy, Houston and Tulsa).

Talks some about other sports, TV ratings, and so on. Definitely loves this conference.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 09:29 AM by TripleA.)
05-22-2017 09:08 AM
Underdog Offline
All American

(05-22-2017 09:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great talk on the OP interview, guys. 03-lmfao

Now, about that digital network...

Point well taken....
05-22-2017 09:10 AM
TripleA Online
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(05-22-2017 09:10 AM)Underdog Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 09:08 AM)TripleA Wrote:  Great talk on the OP interview, guys. 03-lmfao

Now, about that interview...

Point well taken....

Thanks. I was listening to the interview and posting that at the same time. Went back and edited it to add a little recap of the interview itself.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 09:32 AM by TripleA.)
05-22-2017 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.