Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Baseball Tournament thread
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
Sun Belt Baseball Tournament thread
This thread will be for pre tournament discussion, official bracket listings, general hate between USA and Troy, and someone cracking a joke about tie games between ULL and Coastal.

I will edit when the Bracket is official, but as of right now, here is what we know:

Play In Round: Single Elimination

Tuesday: (All times Eastern)

#10 Georgia State vs #7 Arkansas State 3:00pm
#9 Little Rock vs #8 Texas State 6:30pm

Second Round: (Double Elimination)

Wednesday

#6 Troy vs #3 South Alabama 9:00am
AState/TXST/LR* vs #2 Texas Arlington 12:30pm
#5 Georgia Southern vs #4 Louisiana 4:00 or 7:30pm#
GSU/TXST/LR* vs #1 Coastal Carolina 4:00 or 7:30pm#

Thursday (Double Elimination)

Loser Game 3 vs Loser Game 4 9:00am
Loser Game 5 vs Loser Game 6 12:30pm
Winner Game 3 vs Winner Game 4 4:00pm
Winner Game 5 vs Winner Game 6 7:30pm

Friday: (Double Elimination)

Winner Game 7 vs Loser Game 9 3:00pm
Winner Game 8 vs Loser Game 10 6:30pm

Saturday: (Semifinals, Double Elimination)

Winner Game 9 vs Winner Game 11 9:00am
Winner Game 10 vs Winner Game 12 12:30pm
Winner Game 13 vs Loser Game 13 4:00pm (If Ness)
Winner Game 14 vs Loser Game 14 4:00pm or 7:30pm (If Ness)

Sunday: (Single Elimination)

Championship Game 1:00pm

All Games are on ESPN3

* Highest Seeded play in Round winner plays UTA, lowest Seeded play in Round winner plays CCU

# As Host School, Georgia Southern should get the choice of start time Wednesday, however that is not confirmed by the League Office yet.
05-20-2017 03:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Sun Belt Baseball Tournament thread
Sorry, App State. Not sure WTH we were doing this weekend.
05-20-2017 04:30 PM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
If any SunBeltBBS'ers are headed to Statesboro for the tournament shoot me a PM and I might be able to locate a cold brew or two for you when I'm down there 03-wink
05-20-2017 07:27 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
(05-20-2017 04:30 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Sorry, App State. Not sure WTH we were doing this weekend.

We already have placed our order to mother nature for a foot of snow and 10 degree temps on Thursday, November 9.
05-20-2017 09:17 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

Forecast is not looking good for Tuesday or Wednesday games but hopefully any weather will move on through and everyone visiting for the tournament can enjoy your visit to Statesboro.
05-20-2017 09:20 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-20-2017 09:20 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  Forecast is not looking good for Tuesday or Wednesday games but hopefully any weather will move on through and everyone visiting for the tournament can enjoy your visit to Statesboro.

Rule #1 of the SBC Tournament: You always want to be the first game of the day.

When rain inevitably hits, the games are played in order, so often times the teams playing those first couple games will get their games in, and the teams playing the late games end up postponed and having to play unexpected doubleheaders.

Its something I've never understood about the host team. They get to choose their game time, yet they always choose the last game, the game most likely to get impacted by weather. Texas State took the late game last year, got postponed a day, and ended up playing a Friday doubleheader, with the 2nd game an elimination game against an AState team that had played early and been sitting around for 36 hours.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 12:17 AM by chiefsfan.)
05-21-2017 12:08 AM
Advertisement

Godzilla Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST
Man, we really tanked the second half of the season, hopefully we can hit the reset button and make some noise in the tourny.
05-21-2017 09:30 AM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(05-21-2017 09:30 AM)Godzilla Wrote:  Man, we really tanked the second half of the season, hopefully we can hit the reset button and make some noise in the tourny.

That would be nice, but I don't believe we have the pitching to make much noise, especially if we're relying on our pen.

As to tanking the last half of the season, we've pretty much done that the past 4 seasons: W/L over the last 25 the past 4 years has been pretty dismal .. . Perhaps even longer, but I didn't care to look it up ... .
05-21-2017 12:06 PM
eaglechamp Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GS Eagles
A LOT of rain has fallen in Statesboro this afternoon with a lot more forecast thru Wednesday (we do need it as it's been dry). Hopefully it doesn't screw things up too bad.
05-22-2017 07:58 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-22-2017 07:58 PM)eaglechamp Wrote:  A LOT of rain has fallen in Statesboro this afternoon with a lot more forecast thru Wednesday (we do need it as it's been dry). Hopefully it doesn't screw things up too bad.

It could really cause issues this year. In order to make things work, the league has to figure out how to get 2 games in between now and Wednesday Night.

The best chance of getting a game in looks to be Tuesday Night into Wednesday morning. May be some late night games.
05-22-2017 09:34 PM
El Chanto Offline
1st String

I Root For: CoastalCarolina
How does the Sun Belt determine sites for its baseball tournament? Does each school get a chance to host or is its location rotated a different way?
05-22-2017 09:38 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(05-22-2017 09:38 PM)El Chanto Wrote:  How does the Sun Belt determine sites for its baseball tournament? Does each school get a chance to host or is its location rotated a different way?

Schools have to meet certain stadium criteria to host, and then it rotates between those schools. There are like only 5 or 6 schools that can host if I remember correctly.
05-22-2017 10:01 PM
chiefsfan Offline

Matchups are out for tomorrow's games. All of the Preliminary round opponents are throwing their #1 starters statistically with the exception of Arkansas State who is throwing their #3 starter. It is worth noting that both Georgia State and Little Rock elected not to throw the guys throwing Tuesday during the previous weekend series. Both Malcom and Gaddis threw in relief and gave up runs.

Game 1: #10 Georgia State (Fr Hunter Gaddis 3.27 ERA) vs #7 Arkansas State (So Bradey Welsh, 6.02 ERA)
Season Series: Arkansas State swept the Panthers in Jonesboro.
Matchup: The Red Wolves take the risk by going with an unproven Sophomore in the opening game, choosing to take their chances on unfamiliarity over experience. Welsh started the year as a bullpen guy, was moved to midweek starter and after 2 good starts in a row, was moved to the weekend rotation to cover for a staff desperate for innings. Welsh was still a midweek guy when the Panthers came into Jonesboro, so they are one of the only SBC Teams to have not faced the AState Sophomore. Gaddis faced the Red Wolves in the Saturday game and was dominant for 7 innings, but was unable to keep his pitch count low, and leaving in a 1-1 game watched the bullpen allow 3 AState runs in the 8th to win.

Neither offense is known for scoring large amounts of runs, though they get there in their own way. Georgia State uses 4 very good hitters at the top of the order to control the game. Arkansas State relies on a very high rate of scoring runners who get on base, running the bases extremely aggressively, and not being afraid to sacrifice runners into scoring position.

Keys to win:
Georgia State: Simply put, get to Welsh Early. Arkansas State's rotation has been vulnerable all season, but they possess a very good closer in Tyler Zuber, and worthwhile set up man in Tanner Kirby. The Red Wolves are 13-16 in league because of a poor rotation, but when they have gotten quality starts, their win percentage goes up significantly.

Arkansas State: Work Gaddis and get to the Panthers pen. Gaddis has been outstanding all year, and has single handedly gotten the Panthers wins at times, but they have really struggled to hold onto leads behind him. If the Red Wolves can run Gaddis pitch count up early and force him out of the game earlier than the Panthers want, they could really cause issues

Game 2:
#9 Little Rock (Sr. Cory Malcom, 2.72 ERA) vs #8 Texas State (Fr Nicholas Fraze, 4.71 ERA)
Season Series: Trojans won 2 of 3 in Little Rock

Matchup: Two of the top 5 offenses in the conference statistically go at each other in a Preliminary Round Game. Some of the Trojans stats are probably a little skewed because of the band box they play in, but the same cannot be said of Texas State, who has mashed the ball all season. The Pitching matchup favors Little Rock for 1 game only. The Trojans do not possess a great rotation, nor a great bullpen, but they have a very good pitcher in Cory Malcom who is a strikeout machine when he is on. For Texas State, the Young Fraze is the closest thing they have to an Ace in a pitching staff that has struggled all season. The entire game is going to come down to whether or not the Texas State bats can hit Cory Malcom, if they do, The Bobcats will be heavily favored over a beleaguered Trojans pitching staff that threw 13 different guys in a sweep at the hands of AState this weekend, if they don't, the Trojans could run away with it.

Keys to Victory:

Little Rock: Texas State's offense is one of the best in the league, but they strike out way too much. Cory Malcom is a strikeout machine. If he can be on his game, he has the potential to really mow down this Bobcat lineup. Offensively, the Trojans need to work Fraze early, hope the Freshman wilts under the pressure and get the game to the Texas State pen, who has the potential to make a Little League team look really good.

Texas State: Take advantage of the baserunners you get. The Bobcats are not exactly known as a small ball team. They play in a small park and have no incentive to play that way, but they might want to consider it against Malcom. Especially early. If they could get on the board early with a couple runs and give Fraze the lead, he could really pitch with confidence and shut down a UALR offense that is very good 1-6, but is vulnerable 7-9.
05-23-2017 12:21 AM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
#FunBelt‏Verified account @SunBelt 9s10 seconds ago

Due to weather, today's first round games will not be played today.

Stay tuned here for all further updates.
05-23-2017 08:32 AM
CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(05-23-2017 08:32 AM)CatMom Wrote:  #FunBelt‏Verified account @SunBelt 9s10 seconds ago

Due to weather, today's first round games will not be played today.

Stay tuned here for all further updates.

Good news is that there's a cool college bar 1/4 mile from the stadium. Seems like we could be in for a lot of delays and waiting around this week.
05-23-2017 08:36 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Wow. I wonder when the weather gets good if they could use Savannah State, Armstrong State, and/or Mercer's baseball fields to get more games in simultaneously even if they are a bit of a drive from Statesboro. Probably also means that the day off for the winners in the double elimination format is scratched.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 08:40 AM by rokamortis.)
05-23-2017 08:39 AM
Advertisement

CC Eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga. Southern
(05-23-2017 08:39 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  Wow. I wonder when the weather gets good if they could use Savannah State, Armstrong State, and/or Mercer's baseball fields to get more games in simultaneously even if they are a bit of a drive from Statesboro. Probably also means that the day off for the winners in the double elimination format is scratched.

Armstrong is already super salty about the merger. They'd flip their **** if someone asked to let GS play its conference tournament on their field.
05-23-2017 08:42 AM
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(05-23-2017 08:42 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 08:39 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  Wow. I wonder when the weather gets good if they could use Savannah State, Armstrong State, and/or Mercer's baseball fields to get more games in simultaneously even if they are a bit of a drive from Statesboro. Probably also means that the day off for the winners in the double elimination format is scratched.

Armstrong is already super salty about the merger. They'd flip their **** if someone asked to let GS play its conference tournament on their field.

Maybe, but its happening and they can't do anything about it. You guys are basically the same school now and it will be official in about a year.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 08:47 AM by rokamortis.)
05-23-2017 08:45 AM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

(05-23-2017 08:45 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  

Maybe, but its happening and they can't do anything about it. You guys are basically the same school now and it will be official in about a year.

Super salty is an understatement. But relations are getting to a better point ... no need to re-open those wounds.

Plus, I'm not a meteorologist but the entire state/region is getting pounded with the rain. I'm in Macon and guess what ... the fields @ Mercer are just as wet. Same deal in Savannah as in Statesboro.

Just going to have to deal with the weather.
05-23-2017 09:22 AM
GATA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-23-2017 09:22 AM)Eagle22 Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 08:45 AM)rokamortis Wrote:  

Super salty is an understatement. But relations are getting to a better point ... no need to re-open those wounds.

Plus, I'm not a meteorologist but the entire state/region is getting pounded with the rain. I'm in Macon and guess what ... the fields @ Mercer are just as wet. Same deal in Savannah as in Statesboro.

Just going to have to deal with the weather.

Pretty much. I'm in Savannah and the rain is going to start in the next hour. Probably won't let up until late this evening
05-23-2017 09:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.