Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Does the Sun Belt have an Access Bowl Contender?
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Does the Sun Belt have an Access Bowl Contender?
Why not?

1. I think most every team in the conference is either going to be better or isn't going to drop off much. We're not going to finish last in the conference and have strength of schedules that work against any team.
2. There has been a lot of coaching turnover in a lot of the top G5 teams of the last few years.
3. Two of the 3 matchups between the presumed top 3 aren't happening this season.
4. Troy returns almost everyone from their team that got ranked and App has a top coach and a seasoned QB and a stout defense.

I've seen South Florida getting a lot of love from the media, but does anyone really not think our top 3 from last year couldn't have beaten South Carolina in a bowl game? If USF played in the Belt it would've been the second-best Power 5 win in the league.
05-17-2017 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
RE: Does the Sun Belt have an Access Bowl Contender?
I'll let you know week 2 of the season.
05-17-2017 09:31 AM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-17-2017 09:20 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Why not?

1. I think most every team in the conference is either going to be better or isn't going to drop off much. We're not going to finish last in the conference and have strength of schedules that work against any team.
2. There has been a lot of coaching turnover in a lot of the top G5 teams of the last few years.
3. Two of the 3 matchups between the presumed top 3 aren't happening this season.
4. Troy returns almost everyone from their team that got ranked and App has a top coach and a seasoned QB and a stout defense.

I've seen South Florida getting a lot of love from the media, but does anyone really not think our top 3 from last year couldn't have beaten South Carolina in a bowl game? If USF played in the Belt it would've been the second-best Power 5 win in the league.

To make the Access Bowl first you have to win the conference. A team could go 11-1 but their 1 lose be a conference game and not win the conference so they have no shot to make the Access Bowl even thought they have the best resume in all of G5.
Also for the Sun Belt champion to make the Access Bowl they would have to go at least 11-1 and hope their resume is better than the 4 other G5 Champions.

Just my opinion.
12-0 would do it for any of our conference members.

AppSt to make the Access Bowl can only lose to Georgia.

Ark St to make the Access Bowl can only lose to either Nebraska or Miami of Florida not both.

Troy has to beat Boise St an only lose to LSU to make the Access Bowl.

I would love to see the college football world nut up if going into the Dec 2nd football weekend that AppSt, Troy, and Ark St records were 10-1 or better.
05-17-2017 10:07 AM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
I wish, but no.
05-17-2017 10:08 AM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(05-17-2017 10:08 AM)sdcritter Wrote:  I wish, but no.

There is no hands down favorite to be an access bowl contender. That being said, strange things happen over the course of 12 or 13 games in the fall!
05-17-2017 10:15 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
Won't happen this year. We will likely lose to Nebraska and Miami, and maybe even SMU. Then we will win all of our conference games and ruin everyone's chances.
Sorry!
05-17-2017 10:29 AM
Advertisement

TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
If WMU can do it, any of us can do it.
05-17-2017 10:30 AM
TaxusExpress Offline
Banned

I Root For: Anyone but LSU

Agreed. A SBC team would have to run the table, including beating a GOOD P-5 (sorry, Wake, Vandy, Kansas and the such won't cut it) AND no other G-5 is in the same boat.
05-17-2017 10:31 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
From a non-bias perspective, Troy and Appalachian State have a shot. Arkansas State will be good, but I don't think they can make it with their schedule.

Appalachian State probably has the best schedule to accomplish the feat. And a lot of talent coming back.

Troy has a shot because the depth at all positions is better, a crap-ton of starters are back, no coaches have left, and the transfer Jamarius Henderson gives Troy a running back that has speed and agility instead of just Chunn who pounds it, so there's an added dimension. The schedule though will be tough. Boise State right off that bat will be tough, then LSU, an Akron team that's good enough to go bowling, and of course Arkansas State who has Troy's number.
05-17-2017 10:39 AM

(05-17-2017 10:31 AM)TaxusExpress Wrote:  

Agreed. A SBC team would have to run the table, including beating a GOOD P-5 (sorry, Wake, Vandy, Kansas and the such won't cut it) AND no other G-5 is in the same boat.

I don't think that's necessarily true. If Western Michigan had lost one last year and Troy had avoided upset losses to StAte and Georgia Southern, Troy likely would have been in an Access Bowl.

Anything is possible. The AP and Coaches polls can shift so much week by week that it can open a door for a SBC team to make it to an Access Bowl.
05-17-2017 10:43 AM
LatahCounty Offline
1st String

I Root For: Idaho
Our non-conference games are Sacramento St., UNLV, @WMU and @Missouri. Just saying. It's a gigantic longshot, but I don't see a guaranteed loss on our schedule. I honestly think @Troy on a Thursday is the toughest game we have.
05-17-2017 10:47 AM
Advertisement

(05-17-2017 10:47 AM)LatahCounty Wrote:  Our non-conference games are Sacramento St., UNLV, @WMU and @Missouri. Just saying. It's a gigantic longshot, but I don't see a guaranteed loss on our schedule. I honestly think @Troy on a Thursday is the toughest game we have.

If Idaho can really get things together this coming season and build on last year, they have one of the easiest OOC schedules to get it done. Unortunately, you have to play Troy and Appalachian State. That's alone is a tall order.
05-17-2017 11:13 AM
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
The only way is go undefeated
05-17-2017 11:19 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(05-17-2017 10:29 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Won't happen this year. We will likely lose to Nebraska and Miami, and maybe even SMU. Then we will win all of our conference games and ruin everyone's chances.
Sorry!

And your FCS team too

We didn't even do that lol 05-stirthepot
05-17-2017 11:26 AM
ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
(05-17-2017 11:26 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 10:29 AM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  Won't happen this year. We will likely lose to Nebraska and Miami, and maybe even SMU. Then we will win all of our conference games and ruin everyone's chances.
Sorry!

And your FCS team too

We didn't even do that lol 05-stirthepot
An that would be Ark Pine Bluff.
05-17-2017 11:38 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
in theory ULM has the schedule @Auburn, @ Florida State, @Memphis, Southern Miss...they just gotta win some games.
05-17-2017 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES

Baiscally beat your P5 or atleast one of them and keep the other close and win out or it aint going to happen.

App beats thUGA they could run the table.

I dont see Troy beating Boise and or LSU. But if they beat Boise and keep LSU close and win out it could happen.

ArkSt could do it but. I think UM is going to be better than last year though and Nebraska was a paper tiger last year but they won just about all the games they were supposed to.

Troy and ArkSt play as well. Nobody else I think has any shot of going undefeated in conference. One conf loss will eliminate anyone.
05-17-2017 12:17 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

SoS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-17-2017 12:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
So does Liberty umass or NMSU get an access bowl bid if they went undefeated in the future or is it only teams in G5 conferences?
05-17-2017 02:58 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(05-17-2017 02:58 PM)Ewglenn Wrote:  So does Liberty umass or NMSU get an access bowl bid if they went undefeated in the future or is it only teams in G5 conferences?
SoS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
05-17-2017 02:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.