Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will There Be Room for Two Teams in the NCAA Baseball Tournament?
Bookmark and Share
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Will There Be Room for Two Teams in the NCAA Baseball Tournament?
The good news and bad news for three teams.

http://espn1420.com/can-the-sun-belt-be-...irds-nest/
05-16-2017 10:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Will There Be Room for Two Teams in the NCAA Baseball Tournament?
(05-16-2017 10:20 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  The good news and bad news for three teams.

More than likely not. What with having to put every SEC team in (like softball) there probably isn't room. 05-stirthepot
05-16-2017 11:03 AM
jim121256 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(05-16-2017 11:03 AM)CatMom Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 10:20 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  The good news and bad news for three teams.

More than likely not. What with having to put every SEC team in (like softball) there probably isn't room. 05-stirthepot

I'm curious about this article. I don't follow baseball closely enough to mount an argument, but it looks like, just looking at the records, that the writer should have included Georgia Southern in the "has a chance" teams. At 36-17 at this time, GS's overall record looks comparable, and GS has won 2 out of 3 against Coastal and Louisiana, while losing 2 of 3 to USA.

Like I said, I don't follow baseball all that closely, but I don't see how one of those four could be written off. They look to be pretty equal to me. Somebody fill me in. Thanks!
05-16-2017 02:22 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(05-16-2017 02:22 PM)jim121256 Wrote:  

I'm curious about this article. I don't follow baseball closely enough to mount an argument, but it looks like, just looking at the records, that the writer should have included Georgia Southern in the "has a chance" teams. At 36-17 at this time, GS's overall record looks comparable, and GS has won 2 out of 3 against Coastal and Louisiana, while losing 2 of 3 to USA.

Like I said, I don't follow baseball all that closely, but I don't see how one of those four could be written off. They look to be pretty equal to me. Somebody fill me in. Thanks!
It's just one guy's opinion. I wouldn't sweat it.
05-16-2017 02:28 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern

Georgia Southern's RPI is in the 70's because most of our OOC games have been against lower level competition this season. Many of the teams we usually play with higher RPI like Kennasaw St, Georgia Tech and Coll of Charleston are having down years.
05-16-2017 02:43 PM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cajuns

As stated in another post, RPI is a major (but not only) factor in selection. If GS won out I don't think their RPI would get into the area where they would be selected as an at large team, but of course if they did they'd win the tournament title. ;-)
05-16-2017 03:30 PM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

I am not going to complain too much about where our RPI lies because we've had some dumb losses early in the year that really hurt us.

That said across an equal number of games, is it better to have a 0.636 mark vs. Top 50 or a 0.375 win mark vs. Top 50 ?

Because that is GS' record vs. Top 50 RPI teams against Coastal's in 11 games (I tossed out Coastal's tie vs. Louisiana).
05-16-2017 03:46 PM
rokamortis Online
All American

I Root For: Coastal
(05-16-2017 03:46 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  

I am not going to complain too much about where our RPI lies because we've had some dumb losses early in the year that really hurt us.

That said across an equal number of games, is it better to have a 0.636 mark vs. Top 50 or a 0.375 win mark vs. Top 50 ?

Because that is GS' record vs. Top 50 RPI teams against Coastal's in 11 games (I tossed out Coastal's tie vs. Louisiana).

Our record vs top 25/50 teams will be the primary reason if we don't get an at-large.
05-16-2017 03:52 PM
Eagle22 Offline
Special Teams

(05-16-2017 03:52 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 03:46 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  

Our record vs top 25/50 teams will be the primary reason if we don't get an at-large.

To be perfectly clear, I think we both should be worthy of at-large talk but what weight does my opinion hold 03-wink

Outside of our 1-2 record vs. USA we've had a very solid Sun Belt season and I just wish we had played better to begin the year.
05-16-2017 05:06 PM
Advertisement

AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
There's room for 64 teams in the tournament. How many from the Sun Belt?
05-16-2017 05:24 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Let's see, 32 auto qualifiers (1 for us)
ACC - probably 5/6 at large
SEC probably 10/12 at large
B12 probably 4/5 at large
PAC 12 5/6 at large
with lower numbers (above), that's 57 of the field of 64. Don't hold your breath.
05-16-2017 10:50 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Georgia Southern was not included because of their RPI, which stands at 78. This weekend won't help much since Georgia State's record is poor. Even with an undefeated run to the championship game, GS won't get into the Top 60 in my opinion. They haven't played a single team in the RPI Top 25 and only 13 games against the Top 100. Personally, I think Georgia Southern is a good enough team to be very representative should they get in.

But their resume says they won't. That's why I didn't mention them. I only mentioned schools that have a chance to get there. And NONE of them are a lock for an at large.
05-17-2017 08:43 AM
Tealblood Online
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
I still think it will be interesting assuming we sweep Ap St and get to the champ game whether the defending champ gets a shot

and yes Im putting a bunch of stock in being the defending champ

we sweep and get to championship game our RPI should be 38-42 which would be low for an at large but an at large who also happens to be defending champs ????
05-17-2017 09:56 AM
Advertisement

Tealblood Online
Special Teams

I don't want to complain but being the defending champ is tricking hard

If you watched any of our game at Clemson last night despite them being a top ten caliber team(still #8 in RPI) they had one of the biggest crowds of the year and they celebrated a good bit more than an average midweek game they knew who we were
05-17-2017 09:59 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-17-2017 09:56 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  I still think it will be interesting assuming we sweep Ap St and get to the champ game whether the defending champ gets a shot

we sweep and get to championship game our RPI should be 38-42 which would be low for an at large but an at large who also happens to be defending champs ????

I think in the case of Coastal, having the regular season championship and the #1 seed would be hugely beneficial. And given this weekend's schedule, it's a distinct possibility.
05-17-2017 10:20 AM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-17-2017 09:59 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  I don't want to complain but being the defending champ is tricking hard

If you watched any of our game at Clemson last night despite them being a top ten caliber team(still #8 in RPI) they had one of the biggest crowds of the year and they celebrated a good bit more than an average midweek game they knew who we were

It is definitely difficult to go from being the hunter to being the hunted. Especially when you're playing a team in your home state.
05-17-2017 10:21 AM
Tealblood Online
Special Teams

(05-17-2017 10:20 AM)BirdofParadise Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 09:56 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  I still think it will be interesting assuming we sweep Ap St and get to the champ game whether the defending champ gets a shot

I think in the case of Coastal, having the regular season championship and the #1 seed would be hugely beneficial. And given this weekend's schedule, it's a distinct possibility.

Agree I like our chances to sweep Ap better than USA's chances of sweeping Troy

the #1 seed would add to the cache
05-17-2017 10:23 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.