Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Worst case expansion scenarios for SEC and G5 options
Bookmark and Share
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
So the real worst case is FAU and Kiffin back in the SEC.

I also know that the SEC doesn't have to expand at all.

But I could conceive of a scenario where:
Big 10: Texas, OK, Kansas, Iowa State
PAC: TCU, Tech, KSU, OSU
ACC: West Virginia

Or something similar like:
Big 10: Kansas, Missouri,Iowa State, UConn
PAC: Texas, Tech, TCU, OK, Ok State, Kansas State,

At that point what would the SEC do? Staying at 14 might not an option at that point. Or in the second scenario, we need to back fill.

I've seen on this board options like BYU in crazy scenarios.

Though not ideal, Tulsa could get us into OK. SMU into Dallas. USF/UCF would be interesting. Rice, Tulane, Cincy, ECU have all been mentioned before.

So what do you think would happen?
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 07:34 AM by Soobahk40050.)
05-16-2017 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
RE: Worst case expansion scenarios for SEC and G5 options
To me I'd think that ECU would probably be the best G5 candidate for expansion (although this is all just for fun and games since the SEC wouldn't have to dip into G5 to expand). Every other major school in North Carolina is basketball first. ECU looks like a SEC school, priority in football with good attendance that would likely grow exponentially with a SEC schedule and a historically good baseball program as well.

If they were in the SEC and were able to maintain a consistent program (i.e. going to bowl games) then I think there is a real opportunity for them to pick up "t-shirt" fans in football who are fans of Duke or North Carolina for basketball.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2017 08:30 AM by tcufrog86.)
05-16-2017 08:28 AM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Follow the money here... this scenario will never happen to the SEC. Additionally, no school is leaving the SEC. Bank it.
05-16-2017 11:56 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-16-2017 07:33 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  So the real worst case is FAU and Kiffin back in the SEC.

I also know that the SEC doesn't have to expand at all.

But I could conceive of a scenario where:
Big 10: Texas, OK, Kansas, Iowa State
PAC: TCU, Tech, KSU, OSU

Or something similar like:
Big 10: Kansas, Missouri,Iowa State, UConn
PAC: Texas, Tech, TCU, OK, Ok State, Kansas State,

At that point what would the SEC do? Staying at 14 might not an option at that point. Or in the second scenario, we need to back fill.

I've seen on this board options like BYU in crazy scenarios.

Though not ideal, Tulsa could get us into OK. SMU into Dallas. USF/UCF would be interesting. Rice, Tulane, Cincy, ECU have all been mentioned before.

So what do you think would happen?

We stay at 14. But since we pay more than anyone else and have the most successful network there would be two schools out there that we wanted that would tell the other conferences, "Sorry but we are heading to the SEC. West Virginia would jump at it. T.C.U. could be lured if we couldn't get OU or Texas. Then we are in Dallas, have a new State near the beltway in WVU and we pick up two schools that will always stay competitive. For that matter we might be able to pull Maryland away from the Big 10 and add either T.C.U. or W.V.U.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 12:40 AM by JRsec.)
05-17-2017 12:36 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Worst case for the SEC?

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State & Iowa State to the PAC for 15.

Kansas to the B1G for 15.

Texas, TCU & WV with ND to the ACC for 18.

Baylor, Kansas State & TT to the SEC for 18.

Worst G5 options would be Tulane, Southern Miss & UAB.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 07:56 AM by Lenvillecards.)
05-17-2017 07:54 AM
Advertisement

BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-17-2017 07:54 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Worst case for the SEC?

I presume from the answers this is the worst case of geographically reasonable G5 schools. I can think of some pretty awful G5 combinations for the SEC like to 16 with San Jose St and Akron LOL no offense to those schools, just not good for the SEC.

I havr serious doubts the SEC or B1G take any G5 schools. The PAC and ACC might at some point but even that list is incredibly limited. However, if the P4 (post-XII) are required to take a G5 school, for example, the SEC will have the choice of any and all. I think they'd take Cincinnati.
05-17-2017 08:13 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
There's only a handful of (non ACC) schools the SEC would ever consider expanding for: Oklahoma, Texas, and I guess technically ND.

Kansas, West Virginia, and I suppose Oklahoma State would be in play to pair with one of the above 3 schools. Anyone else is not really worth discussing. The SEC will just stay put
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 10:39 AM by Gamecock.)
05-17-2017 10:27 AM
Advertisement

Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(05-17-2017 08:13 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

I presume from the answers this is the worst case of geographically reasonable G5 schools. I can think of some pretty awful G5 combinations for the SEC like to 16 with San Jose St and Akron LOL no offense to those schools, just not good for the SEC.

I havr serious doubts the SEC or B1G take any G5 schools. The PAC and ACC might at some point but even that list is incredibly limited. However, if the P4 (post-XII) are required to take a G5 school, for example, the SEC will have the choice of any and all. I think they'd take Cincinnati.

I guess what I actually meant is the "best" worst case scenarios for the SEC, where all the teams we might want or be reasonably okay with choose other conferences. I know money talks and that won't happen, but thats what I was thinking.

For instance, I agree a school like Cincy that gets us into Ohio would be a great add at that point. Doubling down in Houston would be a good get. ECU would get us in North Carolina.

I think USF would have potential at the point as a school in southern Florida with decent research and with a football team that has shown it can win (#2 at BCS at one point, though I know that was a long time ago), and a massive student body and eventual alumni population.

Others the SEC might realistically wind up with could be Tulane.

In the AAC Temple and UConn are too far away. Navy has made its decision on P5 membership, Tulsa would get us OK and has decent academics but is probably too small. Memphis might could work but doesn't really add much in terms of new recruiting grounds, etc, not already covered by schools in the SEC. SMU could get us Dallas maybe? Or at that point we might just take Baylor, with some PR stuff required of Baylor first.

In C-USA, ODU might be an option at some point in that scenario, but for now they are too new. Same for UTSA. As I said, FAU and Kiffin would be the worst case. Marshall might be intriguing as an alternative to West VA. Rice would be similar to Tulsa. Southern Mississippi doesn't bring much new.

Indy: UMass is a no, as is Army. Liberty is kind of looked down on right now and are too new, but they have a massive student body and money and are in Virginia.
BYU has been mentioned but is an odd fit.

Not sure any in MAC really meet any needs better than say Cincy.

Mountain West: New Mexico would be contiguous and has decent basketball history, but is probably too far away and doesn't have good football history.

Sun Belt:
Schools like App State could be interesting, but ECU does more for us and gets us into the state.

So if we lose out on all our number 1 targets, something like: Cincy, Houston, USF and ECU or Tulane would be our best bets, in my mind, but then again, to get Alabama/Auburn east we need western schools, so maybe Houston + Tulsa or Houston + SMU, or realistically: Baylor + Houston.

Just trying to get us talking. I've always been more academic minded but I know a school like Rice is just too small.
05-17-2017 10:28 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-17-2017 10:28 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

I guess what I actually meant is the "best" worst case scenarios for the SEC, where all the teams we might want or be reasonably okay with choose other conferences. I know money talks and that won't happen, but thats what I was thinking.

For instance, I agree a school like Cincy that gets us into Ohio would be a great add at that point. Doubling down in Houston would be a good get. ECU would get us in North Carolina.

I think USF would have potential at the point as a school in southern Florida with decent research and with a football team that has shown it can win (#2 at BCS at one point, though I know that was a long time ago), and a massive student body and eventual alumni population.

In the AAC Temple and UConn are too far away. Navy has made its decision on P5 membership, Tulsa would get us OK and has decent academics but is probably too small. Memphis might could work but doesn't really add much in terms of new recruiting grounds, etc, not already covered by schools in the SEC. SMU could get us Dallas maybe? Or at that point we might just take Baylor, with some PR stuff required of Baylor first.

In C-USA, ODU might be an option at some point in that scenario, but for now they are too new. Same for UTSA. As I said, FAU and Kiffin would be the worst case. Marshall might be intriguing as an alternative to West VA. Rice would be similar to Tulsa. Southern Mississippi doesn't bring much new.

Indy: UMass is a no, as is Army. Liberty is kind of looked down on right now and are too new, but they have a massive student body and money and are in Virginia.

Mountain West: New Mexico would be contiguous and has decent basketball history, but is probably too far away and doesn't have good football history.

Sun Belt:
Schools like App State could be interesting, but ECU does more for us and gets us into the state.

So if we lose out on all our number 1 targets, something like: Cincy, Houston, USF and ECU or Tulane would be our best bets, in my mind, but then again, to get Alabama/Auburn east we need western schools, so maybe Houston + Tulsa or Houston + SMU, or realistically: Baylor + Houston.

Just trying to get us talking. I've always been more academic minded but I know a school like Rice is just too small.

ECU worked under the market model. We aren't going to be under the market model going forward. Streaming will kill the market model. That's the whole point of streaming. You will be able to get the games you want, not have to pay for the hope of getting the games you want on one of the network channels.

So no school that fails to draw a national market, or at least a very strong regional one will be considered. Putting schools which solidly occupy a region into a collective will be the only way to have any control over advertising rates. Tulane doesn't even control its city, L.S.U. does. So there is no value there. Sure they are AAU, but that's just one of the preferred qualities. The norming norm for all SEC consideration is does the school add to our bottom line. Tulane clearly does not.

So we will add brands, or possibly a collection of schools which would equal control of advertising within their region.
05-17-2017 11:01 AM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-17-2017 11:01 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 10:28 AM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

Sun Belt:

ECU worked under the market model. We aren't going to be under the market model going forward. Streaming will kill the market model. That's the whole point of streaming. You will be able to get the games you want, not have to pay for the hope of getting the games you want on one of the network channels.

So no school that fails to draw a national market, or at least a very strong regional one will be considered. Putting schools which solidly occupy a region into a collective will be the only way to have any control over advertising rates. Tulane doesn't even control its city, L.S.U. does. So there is no value there. Sure they are AAU, but that's just one of the preferred qualities. The norming norm for all SEC consideration is does the school add to our bottom line. Tulane clearly does not.

So we will add brands, or possibly a collection of schools which would equal control of advertising within their region.

Presuming no P5 schools (even XII) were available, for 18 (SEC + 4 G5 schools), I would go with: Cincinnati, Houston, South Florida, and SMU. Penetrate Texas even more and add 2 former Big East members.

2 Divisions...
West: SMU, Houston, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Cincinnati
East: Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, South Florida

3 Divisions...
West: SMU, Houston, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU
Central: Mississippi, Mississippi St, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Cincinnati, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, South Florida
05-17-2017 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.