Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New Mexico State to the Horizon League????
Bookmark and Share
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
New Mexico State to the Horizon League????
If it happens, the WAC will be garbage, and would be bad news for GCU.

New Mexico State to the Horizon League?????
05-12-2017 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: New Mexico State to the Horizon League????
Nice spec piece. Also includes the rest of the WAC.
05-12-2017 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
The only way I could see NMSU joining to the Horizon League is if the Horizon waived all entrance fees and the Horizon expanded to 12 members; adding a western travel partner for NMSU. Both, in my opinion, are highly unlikely.
05-12-2017 11:34 AM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
The Horizon is worse than the WAC at this point. Without Valpo the Horizon is all but dead, forever an irrelevant conference again. The Horizon also is just as unstable as the WAC, the Valley could just come in again and take UWM and UIC which is very possible. Why would NMSU join a conference in the midwest for the same or worse quality basketball with the same instability? Adding such a geographic outlier like that is how you kill a conference.

The author also says "With the WAC fairly weak", this appears to be a random guy writing a blog who doesn't know a lot of mid-major basketball. They also don't know about the UC-CSU politics in the Big West that kept us out before and would keep us out again. No way we get into the Big West without a UC to join with.

The most likely scenario is the Horizon staying at 9.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 02:10 PM by Clarity.)
05-12-2017 02:03 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(05-12-2017 02:03 PM)Clarity Wrote:  The Horizon is worse than the WAC at this point. Without Valpo the Horizon is all but dead, forever an irrelevant conference again. The Horizon also is just as unstable as the WAC, the Valley could just come in again and take UWM and UIC which is very possible. Why would NMSU join a conference in the midwest for the same or worse quality basketball with the same instability? Adding such a geographic outlier like that is how you kill a conference.

The author also says "With the WAC fairly weak", this appears to be a random guy writing a blog who doesn't know a lot of mid-major basketball. They also don't know about the UC-CSU politics in the Big West that kept us out before and would keep us out again. No way we get into the Big West without a UC to join with.

The most likely scenario is the Horizon staying at 9.

How serious is the Horizon about NMSU knowing they could leave really any year if football is invited somewhere
05-12-2017 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Probably not at all but I also doubt NMSU will be playing FBS football in a conference for a long time. Going to take a big shakeup again for that to happen. Seems like they are going forward being an independent for a while and wait for that shakeup to happen. For basketball they will be stuck in the WAC for a while.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 03:37 PM by Clarity.)
05-12-2017 03:35 PM
rojo13 Offline
Water Engineer

(05-12-2017 03:35 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Probably not at all but I also doubt NMSU will be playing FBS football in a conference for a long time. Going to take a big shakeup again for that to happen. Seems like they are going forward being an independent for a while and wait for that shakeup to happen. For basketball they will be stuck in the WAC for a while.

I would be more than astounded if NMSU joined the Horizon. This is just another fantasy conference muse by someone who knows little about the recent history of the Big Sky, WCC, Southland and WAC. The WAC is clearly improving its athletics and travel is not bad compared to the pipe dream Horizon realignment discussed by the blogger.
When the Horizon expressed interest in NMSU about a year ago to President Carruthers and AD Moccia, the invite was that GCU would have to commit also. Chances for that are two -- slim and none.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 04:57 PM by rojo13.)
05-12-2017 04:53 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(05-12-2017 04:53 PM)rojo13 Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 03:35 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Probably not at all but I also doubt NMSU will be playing FBS football in a conference for a long time. Going to take a big shakeup again for that to happen. Seems like they are going forward being an independent for a while and wait for that shakeup to happen. For basketball they will be stuck in the WAC for a while.

I would be more than astounded if NMSU joined the Horizon. This is just another fantasy conference muse by someone who knows little about the recent history of the Big Sky, WCC, Southland and WAC. The WAC is clearly improving its athletics and travel is not bad compared to the pipe dream Horizon realignment discussed by the blogger.
When the Horizon expressed interest in NMSU about a year ago to President Carruthers and AD Moccia, the invite was that GCU would have to commit also. Chances for that are two -- slim and none.

Nice to see you over here rojo and thanks for the info!
05-12-2017 05:05 PM
Vaqueronation Offline
2nd String

I Root For: utrgv
I like how this guy has Cal Baptist joining the big west like nothing.
05-12-2017 05:09 PM
Advertisement

SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

(05-12-2017 05:09 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  I like how this guy has Cal Baptist joining the big west like nothing.

And Bakersfield like they havent been repeatedly rejected by the Big West. I swear this guy did no background or use any real logic in this. Theres a reason almost all of the WAC schools were independent/Great West before WAC football fell apart.

I also think if the WCC was serious about adding GCU as just an 11th member like he suggests, it would have happened by now
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 05:49 PM by SeattleVandals.)
05-12-2017 05:45 PM
Clarity Offline
Special Teams

Like I said I think this is just some random guy with a blog nobody reads. Cal Baptist would never be allowed in the Big West. Not even sure how Frank found this lol. CSUB going to the Big West without a UC school partner is an impossibility and GCU to the WCC is wishful thinking. The for-profit thing is definitely an issue for them.
05-12-2017 06:05 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I equate this guys blog to if someone on here decided to say who is joining or leaving the NEAC.
05-12-2017 06:12 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(05-12-2017 05:45 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 05:09 PM)Vaqueronation Wrote:  I like how this guy has Cal Baptist joining the big west like nothing.

And Bakersfield like they havent been repeatedly rejected by the Big West. I swear this guy did no background or use any real logic in this. Theres a reason almost all of the WAC schools were independent/Great West before WAC football fell apart.

I also think if the WCC was serious about adding GCU as just an 11th member like he suggests, it would have happened by now

I'm a GCU fan and even I can admit WCC is a far off dream at this point. Some will point to academics or for-profit status. I just think GCU lacks the history. If the athletic department continues on its current upward trajectory for the next 10-15 years, maybe those other reasons for exclusion fade away.
05-12-2017 06:37 PM
Advertisement

RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

Exactly! To me the article is too ...matter of fact (CSUB, CBU to BW, CGU to WCC, etc) Seriously.03-phew
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 06:57 PM by RunnerBall.)
05-12-2017 06:57 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

(05-12-2017 06:05 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Like I said I think this is just some random guy with a blog nobody reads. Cal Baptist would never be allowed in the Big West. Not even sure how Frank found this lol. CSUB going to the Big West without a UC school partner is an impossibility and GCU to the WCC is wishful thinking. The for-profit thing is definitely an issue for them.

I follow him with the Red Sea of Seattle U on Twitter. He tweets good stuff about mid majors but yeah, that post made zero sense and used no logic once he dived into the WAC. I called him out on it yesterday. He's a young guy though, have to start somewhere. His twitter is @CBB_Central
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:21 PM by SeattleVandals.)
05-12-2017 08:14 PM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

(05-12-2017 06:37 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

I'm a GCU fan and even I can admit WCC is a far off dream at this point. Some will point to academics or for-profit status. I just think GCU lacks the history. If the athletic department continues on its current upward trajectory for the next 10-15 years, maybe those other reasons for exclusion fade away.

I have a feeling it's the for profit thing. That's hard for some public schools to accept, but a conference of private institutions? Even harder. If they were able to shed the for profit (won't happen when so much money is made) or as time goes on and GCU keeps winning, its not out of the question someday. SU and GCU would make a nice pair to add to the WCC. Wonder the conference feels about Cal Baptist and if they could be an option someday
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 08:20 PM by SeattleVandals.)
05-12-2017 08:19 PM
ThunderDan49 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lopes
(05-12-2017 08:19 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 06:37 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

I have a feeling it's the for profit thing. That's hard for some public schools to accept, but a conference of private institutions? Even harder. If they were able to shed the for profit (won't happen when so much money is made) or as time goes on and GCU keeps winning, its not out of the question someday. SU and GCU would make a nice pair to add to the WCC. Wonder the conference feels about Cal Baptist and if they could be an option someday
I think we are a few years of tournament appearances away of saying that we can move conferences. By then they will have converted the assests of the school to for profit while the education portion is non profit.
05-12-2017 09:00 PM
Advertisement

SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(05-12-2017 09:47 AM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  If it happens, the WAC will be garbage, and would be bad news for GCU.

New Mexico State to the Horizon League?????

Below are the Basketball budgets of the One Bid Horizon League:

[b]Horizon League

$2,877,237, Wis.-Milwaukee

$2,666,213, Valparaiso

$2,467,735, Detroit

$2,445,427, Wright State

$2,231,609, Illinois-Chicago

$2,172,463, Cleveland State

$2,111,833, Oakland

$1,776,757, Wis.-Green Bay

$1,623,294, Northern Kentucky

$1,347,141, Youngstown State

GCU has a $4.3 million basketball budget and they are 400 miles from Las Cruces. A bus trip. GCU would lead the Horizon in attendance, as it does the WAC. GCU is a better team to be in a conference with than anything the Horizon has to offer.

Wisconsin-Milwaukee would have the 4th largest basketball budget in the WAC, behind GCU, Seattle and NMSU. There is no reason to fly over 1,500 miles to play in a league that is no better than the current league and actually has less upside.
05-13-2017 02:37 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Zero chance NMSU goes to Horizon. Horizon wants NMSU/GCU(/RMU) in last ditch effort to be a 2 bid league. NMSU isn't giving up conference locations in TX/CA/Seattle/Utah/Phoenix/KC for MIL/CLE/CIN/DET/GB/Dayton/Youngstown.

As for the writer, he's actually a good guy who loves mid major hoops. He's just very young and also a MAAC guy I believe.
05-14-2017 01:40 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

(05-12-2017 06:05 PM)Clarity Wrote:  Like I said I think this is just some random guy with a blog nobody reads. Cal Baptist would never be allowed in the Big West. Not even sure how Frank found this lol. CSUB going to the Big West without a UC school partner is an impossibility and GCU to the WCC is wishful thinking. The for-profit thing is definitely an issue for them.
I totally agree with Clarity here. I have read so many BS realignment crap articles that it's ridiculous. NMSU would only leave if an FBS conference would invite and give our football program a home. Otherwise, we are not going anywhere for at least 3 years.
05-14-2017 08:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.