Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conferences looking forward to next round of negotiations?
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Media world is evolving, conferences looking to online world

The article contains a few quotes from Scott and Delaney. Seems they might be eager to see the environment change.

It's mostly general information though.
05-11-2017 12:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: Conferences looking forward to next round of negotiations?
(05-11-2017 12:08 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Media world is evolving, conferences looking to online world

The article contains a few quotes from Scott and Delaney. Seems they might be eager to see the environment change.

It's mostly general information though.
Remember the big satellite dishes of that past. The old C Band is gone forever. As soon as the streaming services get local channels, or at least the big four network channels live, cable and satellite will wither on the vine and die. Streaming companies do not have the costs of expensive equipment and field technicians. PS Vue provides me with quality, watchable channels including all of my ESPN channels, B1G, SEC, and NFL Network/Redzone channels for $34.99 per month. I can stream on up to five TVs simultaneously. I can get all of the big networks live right now on other free streaming services like XTV and USTV. I have cloud DVR. No problem recording my shows. It is a new day in TV now.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 01:12 PM by USAFMEDIC.)
05-11-2017 01:08 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
What will threaten conferences will be the ability of a school to utilize their own announcers to produce an event for somebody like Amazon. They could essentially cut the conference out of the loop. Then the conference will be for scheduling purposes other than for revenue production. The top brands would get richer and the lesser ones poorer.

All of the equity that the PAC and partially the Big 10 would have in their own networks would evaporate. And content would dominate the scheduling formats of the top schools.

What streaming will do is not only make the linear networks impractical, but the conferences' management of TV rights obsolete.
05-11-2017 02:15 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2017 02:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  What will threaten conferences will be the ability of a school to utilize their own announcers to produce an event for somebody like Amazon. They could essentially cut the conference out of the loop. Then the conference will be for scheduling purposes other than for revenue production. The top brands would get richer and the lesser ones poorer.

All of the equity that the PAC and partially the Big 10 would have in their own networks would evaporate. And content would dominate the scheduling formats of the top schools.

What streaming will do is not only make the linear networks impractical, but the conferences' management of TV rights obsolete.

The schools could probably sync their individual broadcasts with their local radio guys and perhaps cut down on costs further. The tech side of that shouldn't be difficult and people wouldn't have to figure out a way to do it themselves. The consumer could simply choose which broadcast they want to follow, that of their favorite team or that of the opposing team, and the streaming does the rest. Shouldn't alter the amount of bandwidth used, I wouldn't think.

On that note, it might also be a way to monetize the radio broadcasts to a greater extent because you could simply make a feed available for any sport on a wide scale rather than reducing it to terrestrial radio and each individual station's website...several of which will not stream games online. It would be a great way to get out of market games and easier if it was all in one cozy location.

If I was the SEC, I might think about pooling digital radio rights and selling it to an entity like Amazon. Those rights are currently reserved to the schools aren't they?

I don't know, however, that they could completely cut the conferences out of the loop though. The technology makes it easier, sure, but the possibility exists now with standard TV. The prime example is LHN. The LHN seems like a great money making concept, but the reality is that few people are interested in just one team so the earning potential is reduced because the other schools aren't so cooperative. They have nothing to gain by doing so. A streaming version of the LHN, for example, would probably be profitable due to the lack of overhead, but it wouldn't guarantee big money on the other hand.

If the conference isn't pooling rights to sell as a package then I think everyone ends up making less money.
05-11-2017 03:34 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(05-11-2017 03:34 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 02:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  What will threaten conferences will be the ability of a school to utilize their own announcers to produce an event for somebody like Amazon. They could essentially cut the conference out of the loop. Then the conference will be for scheduling purposes other than for revenue production. The top brands would get richer and the lesser ones poorer.

The schools could probably sync their individual broadcasts with their local radio guys and perhaps cut down on costs further. The tech side of that shouldn't be difficult and people wouldn't have to figure out a way to do it themselves. The consumer could simply choose which broadcast they want to follow, that of their favorite team or that of the opposing team, and the streaming does the rest. Shouldn't alter the amount of bandwidth used, I wouldn't think.

On that note, it might also be a way to monetize the radio broadcasts to a greater extent because you could simply make a feed available for any sport on a wide scale rather than reducing it to terrestrial radio and each individual station's website...several of which will not stream games online. It would be a great way to get out of market games and easier if it was all in one cozy location.

If I was the SEC, I might think about pooling digital radio rights and selling it to an entity like Amazon. Those rights are currently reserved to the schools aren't they?

I don't know, however, that they could completely cut the conferences out of the loop though. The technology makes it easier, sure, but the possibility exists now with standard TV. The prime example is LHN. The LHN seems like a great money making concept, but the reality is that few people are interested in just one team so the earning potential is reduced because the other schools aren't so cooperative. They have nothing to gain by doing so. A streaming version of the LHN, for example, would probably be profitable due to the lack of overhead, but it wouldn't guarantee big money on the other hand.

If the conference isn't pooling rights to sell as a package then I think everyone ends up making less money.

I agree with your logic and like the idea of pooling radio rights and selling them to Amazon. I think the conference as a cartel of our rights is still the way to go. But the weak link would be Alabama and Florida perhaps feeling they could make more on their own. That's the risk just as it would be in the Big 10 or PAC or ACC.
05-11-2017 04:39 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Can you stream Amazon, Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. off of your cell phone to your tv?
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2017 07:19 PM by Lenvillecards.)
05-11-2017 07:17 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2017 07:17 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Can you stream Amazon, Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. off of your cell phone to your tv?

I think Sling is a separate device unto itself, but for the others I think you can.

If you have a Chromecast then I think you can link it with your phone. There are probably other ways to do it too that I'm not familiar with. I'm behind the times generally when it comes to new tech.
05-11-2017 08:36 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Here's a tidbit from a few weeks back. I can't remember if we talked about it.

Mountain West considering going fully to streaming

They're doing it because their start times are awful admittedly and the major networks aren't going to make room for them.

Might be an interesting trial balloon to see the potential of dedicating to streaming. If I remember, the Mountain West was the first league to actually have a network although that obviously failed.
05-12-2017 04:16 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(05-12-2017 04:16 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Here's a tidbit from a few weeks back. I can't remember if we talked about it.

Mountain West considering going fully to streaming

They're doing it because their start times are awful admittedly and the major networks aren't going to make room for them.

Might be an interesting trial balloon to see the potential of dedicating to streaming. If I remember, the Mountain West was the first league to actually have a network although that obviously failed.

Perfect model for that mid-major conference. Only thing they need to do is ensure they are not forgotten about.

Would also like to see more FCS schools/conferences do the same
05-12-2017 08:34 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(05-11-2017 08:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(05-11-2017 07:17 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Can you stream Amazon, Hulu, Sling, Netflix, etc. off of your cell phone to your tv?

I think Sling is a separate device unto itself, but for the others I think you can.

If you have a Chromecast then I think you can link it with your phone. There are probably other ways to do it too that I'm not familiar with. I'm behind the times generally when it comes to new tech.

Thanks. I was thinking about Chromecast for streaming ESPN3. Then a subscription to Amazon or something but wasn't sure if the mobile speeds would be adequate for regular viewing. Giving my circumstances this would be the only way that I could "cut the cord" & save enough money to make it worth it.
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2017 10:10 AM by Lenvillecards.)
05-12-2017 10:10 AM
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(05-12-2017 10:10 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

Thanks. I was thinking about Chromecast for streaming ESPN3. Then a subscription to Amazon or something but wasn't sure if the mobile speeds would be adequate for regular viewing. Giving my circumstances this would be the only way that I could "cut the cord" & save enough money to make it worth it.

There are a lot of pieces to that puzzle including the service, device you are streaming from, and the device you are streaming to. I have a Samsung smart TV that has wifi and bluetooth and I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV as it's "monitor" and stream ESPN3 or during the NCAA tournament March Madness Live.

Most TVs or Blueray players already have built in apps for the amazon video, netflix, and hulu's of the world so those typically aren't a problem in terms of getting it on a TV vs. computer or phone.
05-12-2017 10:31 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

(05-12-2017 10:31 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 10:10 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  

There are a lot of pieces to that puzzle including the service, device you are streaming from, and the device you are streaming to. I have a Samsung smart TV that has wifi and bluetooth and I sometimes connect my laptop to my TV as it's "monitor" and stream ESPN3 or during the NCAA tournament March Madness Live.

Most TVs or Blueray players already have built in apps for the amazon video, netflix, and hulu's of the world so those typically aren't a problem in terms of getting it on a TV vs. computer or phone.

Would be streaming from a smartphone via 3G mobile provider to either a tv with a USB port for Chromecast(?) or a Blueray player. Can't remember which apps the Blueray came with off of the top of my head but the tv didn't come with any.
05-12-2017 04:50 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
I use ROKU and I stream them all on my TV and phones and notepads.
05-16-2017 04:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.