Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Could the LHN be the factor that puts Texas in the ACC?
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Exclamation Could the LHN be the factor that puts Texas in the ACC?
Depending on the time of day, the LHN is a huge success or a dismal failure. The LHN needs more/better content.

B12 teams balk at playing on the LHN. Since ESPN owns the LHN and everything ACC, if Texas were to move to the ACC, ESPN would have the option of putting games on the ACCN or the LHN. Texas at an ACC school would now be available to the LHN, making room on the ACCN for another ACC game.

This would essentially make the LHN the ACCN1.2. At first I thought 2.0 but the LHN would still be UT based. It seems highly unlikely but I guess it would be possible for a Duke @ Wake game to wind up on the LHN.

Texas gets much needed content for the LHN and a share of the ACCN so there should be some sharing of the LHN. This could be a flat fee (say $5 million/year) or a fee for each time an ACC school plays on the LHN (fee varies by sport).
05-07-2017 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
RE: Could the LHN be the factor that puts Texas in the ACC?
(05-07-2017 10:22 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  Depending on the time of day, the LHN is a huge success or a dismal failure. The LHN needs more/better content.

B12 teams balk at playing on the LHN. Since ESPN owns the LHN and everything ACC, if Texas were to move to the ACC, ESPN would have the option of putting games on the ACCN or the LHN. Texas at an ACC school would now be available to the LHN, making room on the ACCN for another ACC game.

This would essentially make the LHN the ACCN1.2. At first I thought 2.0 but the LHN would still be UT based. It seems highly unlikely but I guess it would be possible for a Duke @ Wake game to wind up on the LHN.

Texas gets much needed content for the LHN and a share of the ACCN so there should be some sharing of the LHN. This could be a flat fee (say $5 million/year) or a fee for each time an ACC school plays on the LHN (fee varies by sport).

If, the ACC goes to 17 teams by adding Oklahoma and Texas. Notre Dame remains independent in football. 07-coffee3
05-07-2017 10:41 AM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
It's more likely that OU goes to B1G/SEC/Pac 12. They won't go to the ACC.

If SEC or B1G get OU, then the ACC better get UT or they simply will be the Big East of the new power structure (if they aren't now) from a revenue perspective.

The good news is, it looks like the Big 12 won't make it, but the concern is, if OU goes to SEC/B1G, it will look more and more like a P2 instead of a P5
05-07-2017 10:50 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I realize there are a lot of academic snob types who turn up their nose at OU. Personally, I'd love to welcome them to the ACC. In fact, I'd argue that the best possible outcome of a Big XII break-up would be OU & Kansas as full members, Texas same deal as Notre Dame. Gives LHN the option of broadcasting all ACC @ Texas games (Texas @ ACC belonging to ESPN/ACCN). Redo the Orange Bowl deal ASAP to pay the ACC same as SEC and B1G. SEC has the option to either take their pick of what's left or stand pat.
05-07-2017 11:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

Could the LHN be the factor that puts Texas in the ACC?
(05-07-2017 11:20 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I realize there are a lot of academic snob types who turn up their nose at OU. Personally, I'd love to welcome them to the ACC. In fact, I'd argue that the best possible outcome of a Big XII break-up would be OU & Kansas as full members, Texas same deal as Notre Dame. Gives LHN the option of broadcasting all ACC @ Texas games (Texas @ ACC belonging to ESPN/ACCN). Redo the Orange Bowl deal ASAP to pay the ACC same as SEC and B1G. SEC has the option to either take their pick of what's left or stand pat.

Redo the OB? I would jump in on the Sugar if the B12 splits up. Keep the OB for our #2 or 3. Can you imagine having both the Sugar & the Orange locked up?!
05-07-2017 12:01 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
I can't imagine having Oklahoma.
05-07-2017 12:14 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
ESPN owning the LHN and the rights to the ACCN won't impact anything.

The B12 ending and/or weakening would be huge for the ACC. It would guarantee that the ACC got a premier bowl payout vs the SEC. My guess is that the OB and the SB would switch places. And if we're lucky, the SB would be the B12 #1 vs a rotation of the PAC, SEC, B1G, and ACC #2 when it doesn't host. That swap alone is worth over a million for each ACC school (40-27.5=12.5; 12.5 + the incremental money from a SB tie-in > 14 ACC schools that receive an ACC BCS payout)
05-07-2017 12:44 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-07-2017 12:14 PM)XLance Wrote:  I can't imagine having Oklahoma.

I can't imagine Oklahoma having us.
05-07-2017 12:45 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

Lotsa stuff in this thread to comment on ...

1 -- yes, I think the LHN will somehow play a role IF Texas winds up in the ACC. And despite Texas' acting like Texas, I think being in the ACC would neuter a lot of how they have acted in the past toward their conferences. Snagging Texas would be a BOON to the ACC. Having representation in Texas, New York, and Florida (plus many populated places in between) is a footprint that not many others can boast.

2 -- I second that motion for Sugar Bowl access. The Sugar Bowl should be on everyone's bucket list. Fans are less geographically spread out than the other big time bowls, which increases the festivity in the bowl. Plus New Orleans is a Top 5 party city in the US, and a blast to go to.

Having BOTH Sugar and Orange, would be fantastic.

3 -- Oklahoma (or Kansas) would be solid additions to the conference, but I don't see the ACC growing beyond 16. I think with Notre Dame as 15, without football, that leaves one spot open for future expansion, be it full membership, or partial. I think holding that spot for Texas makes all the sense in the world.

Time will tell on all this .... but I wouldn't trade spots with anyone else, in any conference. The ACC is made up of great institutions, with tremendous geographic diversity, and equally tremendous diverse academic focus. The athletic competition is strong across the board, and makes those who win the conference, strong national contenders.

All of that, makes the 16th spot pretty valuable, and could be what lures Texas to the league in the future.

We're sitting pretty, and that will only grow as the network launches in the next couple of years.
05-07-2017 12:45 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(05-07-2017 12:45 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 12:14 PM)XLance Wrote:  I can't imagine having Oklahoma.

I can't imagine Oklahoma having us.

04-jawdrop

07-coffee3
05-07-2017 12:55 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

Remember Texas greatest and oldest rivalry is with Oklahoma. ACC Football could look like this:

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Oklahoma
Texas

Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

07-coffee3
05-07-2017 01:11 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(05-07-2017 01:11 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Remember Texas greatest and oldest rivalry is with Oklahoma. ACC Football could look like this:

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Oklahoma
Texas

Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

07-coffee3

That is sobering to look at from a Cuse FB fan's perspective. 03-lmfao
05-07-2017 02:20 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2017 02:20 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 01:11 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  Remember Texas greatest and oldest rivalry is with Oklahoma. ACC Football could look like this:

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Oklahoma
Texas

Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

07-coffee3

That is sobering to look at from a Cuse FB fan's perspective. 03-lmfao

I actually disagree. We'd have yearly games against BC, Pitt, Miami, and Virginia Tech. Who cares after that?

And schools like Oklahoma and Texas are big names, as is Notre Dame (who we would still occasionally see). So if we have to have filler, they aren't bad.

I think it's sobering from Texas' perspective. Their football program would have gone from a conference centered around them and their wishes a northern division in an eastern conference.

That basic idea is why I don't see Texas being enthusiastic about joining any other conference as a full football member. I predict that they choose the option that gives them the highest number of games in the state of Texas.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 03:16 PM by nzmorange.)
05-07-2017 03:15 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I was talking from a Wins/Losses POV

Realistically a great season would be 6-7 wins
05-07-2017 03:31 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(05-07-2017 03:31 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  I was talking from a Wins/Losses POV

Realistically a great season would be 6-7 wins

Yeah - it would make the SEC West look soft.

I think we play 4 nobodies OOC (4-0) split the other division .5-.5, split BC and Pitt .5-.5 and are 5-1 headed into a gauntlet of the rest of our division. Maybe we get an upset a year and end up 6-6. But going north of that before the bowl would be very hard. And even then, I'm being a little optimistic and ignoring ND years.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 04:26 PM by nzmorange.)
05-07-2017 04:21 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel

Boston College
Syracuse
Pittsburgh
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Miami
Oklahoma
Texas

Virginia
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Duke
Wake Forest
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

07-coffee3

Why are oBE members stuck on these type groupings? BC, Syracuse, Pitt, VT, and Louisville are a fairly regional grouping. Then you added the 3 schools that are the farthest (or close to it) away.
05-07-2017 05:40 PM
Advertisement

WakeForestRanger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Wake Forest
I think adding Texas and/or Oklahoma has the potential to destabilize the ACC. It's hard to see either fanbase being happy long term in the conference.
05-07-2017 05:45 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Hey guys, let's add Stanford too. Then buy United Airlines since it's cheap since we'll need it to FLY EVERYBODY'S CRAPPY CROSS COUNTRY TEAM THROUGH FOUR TIMEZONES.

03-pissed
05-07-2017 05:55 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(05-07-2017 05:55 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Hey guys, let's add Stanford too. Then buy United Airlines since it's cheap since we'll need it to FLY EVERYBODY'S CRAPPY CROSS COUNTRY TEAM THROUGH FOUR TIMEZONES.

03-pissed

That would work but our cross country team isn't built for repeated beatings from United Thugs.
05-07-2017 06:47 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(05-07-2017 05:55 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Hey guys, let's add Stanford too. Then buy United Airlines since it's cheap since we'll need it to FLY EVERYBODY'S CRAPPY CROSS COUNTRY TEAM THROUGH FOUR TIMEZONES.

03-pissed

No, no... The ACC needs to add Hawaii... That way it can play a 9-game conference schedule and still have 4 ooc games.
07-coffee3
05-07-2017 07:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.