Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Would Be The Best Possible Way For The SEC To End Its Realignment?
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
I've given it a lot of thought since we've had from 1991 until now to talk about it. First a few assumptions need to be made.

1. The ACC will be secure.
2. The PAC will likely have to sell a % of its network to either FOX or ESPN.
3. It will be the Big that gets picked apart.
4. Conferences will not likely end up with equal memberships.

Now given those assumptions what would be the best way for the SEC to end Realignment?

The first thing that needs to happen is for the Big 10 to offer Missouri and Kansas membership and for Missouri to turn them down. Nothing would cement Missouri's relationship to the SEC like an in your face response to a Big 10 invitation. The Big 10 would need to add Connecticut in concert Kansas to move to 16. And that would be their final move.

Notre Dame would go all in with the ACC and Cincinnati joins them. But the ACC adds Tulane and Texas to move to 18. Tulane provide the bridge to Texas and gives the ACC a presence in New Orleans where the CFP play in game between the SEC and ACC will be played. They improve their footprint and branding.

The SEC lands Oklahoma and West Virginia and stops at 16.

The PAC adds T.C.U. and Texas Tech to get into Texas and stops at 14.

We have 64 in the P conferences but not in equal distribution.

Or,

The SEC lands Texahoma and moves to 18.

The ACC lands Notre Dame, Cincy, West Virginia and Connecticut to move to 18.

The Big 10 gets Kansas and Iowa State.

The PAC lands Texas Tech, T.C.U. and any other two of their choosing.

Either of these would be a nice finish.
05-06-2017 06:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
RE: What Would Be The Best Possible Way For The SEC To End Its Realignment?
(05-06-2017 06:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I've given it a lot of thought since we've had from 1991 until now to talk about it. First a few assumptions need to be made.

Now given those assumptions what would be the best way for the SEC to end Realignment?

The first thing that needs to happen is for the Big 10 to offer Missouri and Kansas membership and for Missouri to turn them down. Nothing would cement Missouri's relationship to the SEC like an in your face response to a Big 10 invitation. The Big 10 would need to add Connecticut in concert Kansas to move to 16. And that would be their final move.

Notre Dame would go all in with the ACC and Cincinnati joins them. But the ACC adds Tulane and Texas to move to 18. Tulane provide the bridge to Texas and gives the ACC a presence in New Orleans where the CFP play in game between the SEC and ACC will be played. They improve their footprint and branding.

Or,

I would not be surprised if Missouri has already gotten a "feeler" call from the B1G. Pretty sure they got a big middle finger too. lol
05-06-2017 08:40 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Well..........
The PAC/B1G ends up with 32 the SEC/ACC ends up with 33.

Notre Dame and Texas will end up with partial deals.
If the SEC does not offer Texas a partial, the ACC will and Texas will accept giving the ACC two partials.
All of the Big 8 schools will end up with the B1G/PAC, which means that Missouri will accept the B1G offer.
Texas Tech goes to the SEC with TCU and West Virginia (16).
Baylor moves to the ACC with Texas (partial) for 15 +2.
Texas and Notre Dame will play 6 ACC teams. Texas will play 2 SEC teams per year and they will count as ACC conference games for eligibility for a conference championship. Notre Dame will also play 6, and the Stanford and USC games will count as conference games.
ESPN is happy and everybody makes money.
05-06-2017 08:44 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
Given those parameters, why not just take OK and stop. Go divisionless and four rivalry annual games with the other 5 rotating so you get through the whole league home and home in four years.

Rationale: fewer "mouths to feed" and easy scheduling. Could also split into 3 divisions and a have a conference semi for content.

Big 10 stays at 14. They try to get Texas but won't take Tech. Missouri stays in SEC, Kansas doesn't add enough to them. Iowa State is a duplicate market.

PAC gets Texas, Tech and Kansas to go to 15. 3 more schools add content and help whoever pays the price for a share of PAC network.

ACC gets ND all in.

Minimalistic but effective.

Big 12 takes Houston, Cincy, UCF, and Memphis to backfill.

AAC takes Rice and Umass and stays at 10.

CUSA doesn't backfill.
05-06-2017 09:00 PM
USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
(05-06-2017 08:44 PM)XLance Wrote:  Well..........

If the SEC does not offer Texas a partial, the ACC will and Texas will accept giving the ACC two partials.
All of the Big 8 schools will end up with the B1G/PAC, which means that Missouri will accept the B1G offer.
Texas and Notre Dame will play 6 ACC teams. Texas will play 2 SEC teams per year and they will count as ACC conference games for eligibility for a conference championship. Notre Dame will also play 6, and the Stanford and USC games will count as conference games.
Missouri to the B1G is a dream... for the B1G. Ship has sailed long ago, and Mizzou has stumbled into heaven. Your scenarios always favor the ACC. lol
05-06-2017 09:04 PM
texasorange Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse Orange
(05-06-2017 06:38 PM)JRsec Wrote:  I've given it a lot of thought since we've had from 1991 until now to talk about it. First a few assumptions need to be made.

Or,

For the ACC, I like the Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and West Virginia as additions.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 09:25 PM by texasorange.)
05-06-2017 09:24 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 09:24 PM)texasorange Wrote:  

Or,

For the ACC, I like the Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Connecticut, and West Virginia as additions.

I think they do the most for you really. If you go to 3 divisions of 6 they set up really nicely. You get two programs that have better than average to really good football and hoops depending upon the year, one national brand in basketball, and of course N.D. It really puts a wall between the ACC and the under belly of the Big 10.

Plus if the SEC offered a Texa-homa deal and went to 18 the two conferences would dominate the big three sports and with a scheduling alliance of more than just one game a year between schools we would keep most of the revenue in house, especially if we bundled the two networks so that both got revenue for the combined footprint.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2017 09:37 PM by JRsec.)
05-06-2017 09:34 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

Another halfhearted troll post I see.
05-06-2017 09:35 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2017 09:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

03-lmfao
Have you looked in a mirror?
05-06-2017 10:02 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-06-2017 10:02 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 09:35 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

03-lmfao
Have you looked in a mirror?

Hey X, if I decided to troll it would be a wholehearted effort. Besides I thought our two conferences are in this together whether we want to be or not. There is a bigger picture.
05-06-2017 10:14 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I like the SEC at 20.

Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Kansas State

The B1G...I'm not sure anyone is really worth taking for them considering their academic standards and the fact they'll probably have to get OU or UT to get a bump out of their contract.

The PAC...if they're self aware enough to loosen their standards then this works for them pretty well.

Iowa State, Kansas, TCU, and Houston

The ACC...

Notre Dame, Cincinnati, West Virginia, and UConn
05-06-2017 11:11 PM
Advertisement

XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

If you want to be realistic.
ESPN's #1 priority if the Big 12 breaks apart is to secure markets.
The largest market in the old big 8.........Missouri...secured.
The largest market in the Big 12 is Texas. How do you secure Texas? You don't let your competitors have a foothold.....not even a taste. So the idea that ESPN would allow the PAC or the B1G to take any school within Texas without compensation is silly.
The idea of an 18 team conference is alluring. So is a 15 team conference. One is $150 million per year more expensive.
Speculation is fun, but it does have to be rooted in reality.
So to maximize potential markets, I think ESPN secures the entire state of Texas (all four schools that are currently in the Big 12) even at the expense of letting Oklahoma go to another conference (not many people in Oklahoma). Now you can break those 4 up any way you want....all to the SEC or a part to the ACC. You also add West Virginia to either conference to keep the B1G segregated as much as possible.
The SEC at 18 with 5 Texas schools works (a 6 team SWC division with Arkansas, or 9 by adding Missouri, LSU and Ole Miss to that division).
The ACC with 15 (plus West Virginia, Notre Dame remains a partial) works just as well.
It's more important to ESPN to keep others out of Texas than it is to land Oklahoma.
05-07-2017 06:49 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(05-06-2017 09:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Or,

I think they do the most for you really. If you go to 3 divisions of 6 they set up really nicely. You get two programs that have better than average to really good football and hoops depending upon the year, one national brand in basketball, and of course N.D. It really puts a wall between the ACC and the under belly of the Big 10.

Plus if the SEC offered a Texa-homa deal and went to 18 the two conferences would dominate the big three sports and with a scheduling alliance of more than just one game a year between schools we would keep most of the revenue in house, especially if we bundled the two networks so that both got revenue for the combined footprint.

I like those 4 as well. In the other scenario I don't get Tulane? Why do people keep trying to put them in a P conference? Sure they have exceptional academics but they bring nothing else. Other schools would work just as well (Memphis, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Rice, etc).
05-07-2017 09:02 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-07-2017 09:02 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(05-06-2017 09:34 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Or,

I like those 4 as well. In the other scenario I don't get Tulane? Why do people keep trying to put them in a P conference? Sure they have exceptional academics but they bring nothing else. Other schools would work just as well (Memphis, Houston, Baylor, TCU, Rice, etc).

They are a good location to have. New Orleans is a destination city. If the ACC ever did acquire a Texas property New Orleans is on the way. They are AAU and the market is better than any listed except Houston & Dallas. Other than that I agree with you. ACC guys talk about Navy all of the time. Tulane gives you more than Navy does.
05-07-2017 10:20 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-07-2017 06:49 AM)XLance Wrote:  If you want to be realistic.
ESPN's #1 priority if the Big 12 breaks apart is to secure markets.
The largest market in the old big 8.........Missouri...secured.
The largest market in the Big 12 is Texas. How do you secure Texas? You don't let your competitors have a foothold.....not even a taste. So the idea that ESPN would allow the PAC or the B1G to take any school within Texas without compensation is silly.
The idea of an 18 team conference is alluring. So is a 15 team conference. One is $150 million per year more expensive.
Speculation is fun, but it does have to be rooted in reality.
So to maximize potential markets, I think ESPN secures the entire state of Texas (all four schools that are currently in the Big 12) even at the expense of letting Oklahoma go to another conference (not many people in Oklahoma). Now you can break those 4 up any way you want....all to the SEC or a part to the ACC. You also add West Virginia to either conference to keep the B1G segregated as much as possible.
The SEC at 18 with 5 Texas schools works (a 6 team SWC division with Arkansas, or 9 by adding Missouri, LSU and Ole Miss to that division).
The ACC with 15 (plus West Virginia, Notre Dame remains a partial) works just as well.
It's more important to ESPN to keep others out of Texas than it is to land Oklahoma.

Like I said before, the best division of the Big 12 is accomplished with the SWC schools heading to the SEC and West Virginia to the ACC while the Old Big 8 schools head to FOX.

And I do agree that in that scenario nothing North of Dallas is needed. But, I've have good reasons to believe that Cincinnati and Notre Dame will join the ACC so that leaves the question of a travel companion for WVU. So UConn to 18 makes sense.

And as long as the SEC is paid to take the other Texas schools why should we care? It also happens to be the offer that cements the Horns. And, it's not like playing more games in Texas hurts anyone's recruiting either. While Texas couldn't make a go of another iteration of an all Texas conference, they would have a pretty easy time making it as a division.

The only way I see that playing out where the ACC only moves to 16 would be if Baylor gets hammered. Then Texas, Tech, & T.C.U. could join the SEC with WVU and the ACC wouldn't need UConn. Neither the PAC nor the Big 10 would ever grab Baylor on the rebound. Houston doesn't match their academics and Rice isn't worth it alone.
05-07-2017 10:29 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

Notice I didn't place any of Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor or West Virginia. It really does not matter (just don't try to stick us with Texas Tech) and I admit that West Virginia makes a lot of sense in the ACC for rivalries with Pitt, VT, Syracuse and Louisville (to help capture the NE market).
UConn is unnecessary and would gain an invitation only if Notre Dame insisted.
The ACC at 18: Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt and Tulane.
Then the SEC could take WVU and the 4 Texas schools to get to 18 too!
Lots of scenarios.
ESPN has all of the numbers and knows who pairs well with others.
Texas will always have an ACC option, just in case those powerful Texas folks that are opposed to joining the SEC win out.
05-07-2017 12:51 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-07-2017 12:51 PM)XLance Wrote:  Notice I didn't place any of Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor or West Virginia. It really does not matter (just don't try to stick us with Texas Tech) and I admit that West Virginia makes a lot of sense in the ACC for rivalries with Pitt, VT, Syracuse and Louisville (to help capture the NE market).
UConn is unnecessary and would gain an invitation only if Notre Dame insisted.
The ACC at 18: Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Vanderbilt and Tulane.
Then the SEC could take WVU and the 4 Texas schools to get to 18 too!
Lots of scenarios.
ESPN has all of the numbers and knows who pairs well with others.
Texas will always have an ACC option, just in case those powerful Texas folks that are opposed to joining the SEC win out.

If you give Texas and its donors all of the games they once had plus the ones they presently have and keep the RRR that's an offer they can't reject when faced with other options.

Big 10: Texas has to go all in and would not have another Texas school going with them.

PAC: Texas has to take limited Texas schools with them (probably only Tech) and OU insists on OSU. As long as Texas gets to keep the RRR why would they go for that, and for likely less than they could make total in the Big 10 or SEC with the added overhead for travel and that isn't even considering their non revenue sports.

ACC: Yes they go as a partial but scheduling enough other P schools to make their schedule work would be extremely difficult. Even Notre Dame sees that this is in jeopardy with more realignment.

So X, if a division that Texas can anchor made up of their old rivals and present key conference mates is established that's as good as it gets for what Texas desires most and certainly better than what they would find elsewhere. I think it is ESPN's best play if Texas gets antsy.
05-07-2017 01:23 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
The only potential problem I see with the idea that FOX and ESPN would essentially split the Big 12 is I could see Oklahoma balking at being sent to Team FOX. If they are entirely cut off from the state of TX then their brand could diminish in the coming years. Of course, if their number one goal is to get into the B1G then they might not have a problem with that, but I suspect some of their donors will realize the potential pitfalls.

I have no problem with the SEC taking all 4 TX schools though.
05-08-2017 01:25 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(05-08-2017 01:25 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  The only potential problem I see with the idea that FOX and ESPN would essentially split the Big 12 is I could see Oklahoma balking at being sent to Team FOX. If they are entirely cut off from the state of TX then their brand could diminish in the coming years. Of course, if their number one goal is to get into the B1G then they might not have a problem with that, but I suspect some of their donors will realize the potential pitfalls.

I have no problem with the SEC taking all 4 TX schools though.

At this point it would almost be comical if OU trotted off to the Big 10 with Kansas only to see the Texas schools all come to the SEC. They could pair up with Nebraska and live on in ESPN Classic watching 1970's games over and over.
05-08-2017 01:52 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

Breaking up the Big 12 only makes sense if a P4 model can feed directly into the National Playoff.
4 somewhat equal conferences whose champions will enter a four team tournament.
At this point the whole works are being held up because of money.
ESPN and FOX aren't happy that the PAC wants to get into their business, so we sit until the economic factors break loose the broadcast rights of the left coast.
How does this make a difference to the SEC (or the B1G or the ACC)? MARKETS!
If the PAC can't gain markets in the center of the country, why expand? Nobody in California is going to want to watch Iowa State play Kansas State, but they might watch Oklahoma play Texas.
ESPN does not want to give up the second largest market in the former Big 12 (Missouri) to the B1G. The PAC won't move without some "beef".....so here we sit.
For the PAC to be successful (and therefore for the whole P4 idea to be successful) they must get a "football king" from the Big 12 (that means either Texas or Oklahoma), and they need a basketball centric school that could carry basketball interest on the west coast (who knows what school could be if it were not Kansas).
The SEC doesn't want to take "lesser" schools and neither does the B1G. So here we sit (fortunately the SEC has geography on it's side) but a real solution needs to be brokered and how do you do that without getting the government riled up about anti-trust/tax exempt etc, etc.

So what's best for the SEC, depends on your goal. Are you trying to gain glory for the SEC (Oklahoma and Texas) or are you trying to help build a P4 so that a structure could be built for the future?
We need the wisdom of Solomon.
05-08-2017 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.