Open TigerLinks

A 2018 Tourney Bid for "a very good team" - What It Will Take
Bookmark and Share
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
MyBB A 2018 Tourney Bid for "a very good team" - What It Will Take
Tubby stated: “I know we’ll be a very good team" next season. Very good teams earn an NCAA Bid and win a game or two (barring upset).

Fulfilling Tubby's prediction, I think, means we can afford no more than four conference defeats, must win at least one quality OCC game (e.g., Louisville), and avoid bad OOC losses.

At first blush, I though Tubby made a bold statement, but then I remembered it is the norm for Tiger coaches to enter the NCAA Tourney two to three years upon hire.

I am skeptical we can do it, but I think Tubby will be named national COY after his prediction is realized.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 09:33 AM by NJ1.)
04-29-2017 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thagr82008 Offline
Banned

I Root For: MEMPHOBABEE
RE: A 2018 Tourney Bid for "a very good team" - What It Will Take
WOW! Refreshing!!!!
04-29-2017 08:56 AM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Another one? I liked you better as the" happy or sad" guy.
04-29-2017 09:30 AM
dfwtxtiger Offline
All American

Let's just try to get through this season with more wins than losses, and good conference standing.
04-29-2017 09:34 AM
fathergoose714 Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
I'm all for that. I think you have to at least see what kind of a team he can assemble. Then we can skin him alive and throw him in the river.
04-29-2017 09:41 AM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2017 09:34 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  Let's just try to get through this season with more wins than losses, and good conference standing.

When has that ever been the goal? Tic price era?
04-29-2017 10:03 AM
Advertisement

Motor City Sam Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Detroit, HPU
Hmmm. I poster who regularly bashes Coach Smith starts two threads that both begin by inaccurately claiming that Smith predicted the Tigers would make the NCAA tournament next season. I wonder what's the endgame here...
04-29-2017 10:21 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-29-2017 10:03 AM)jgardne Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 09:34 AM)dfwtxtiger Wrote:  Let's just try to get through this season with more wins than losses, and good conference standing.

I think some good Tiger fans have diminished their expectations despite Tubby's optimism.
04-29-2017 10:21 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-29-2017 10:21 AM)Motor City Sam Wrote:  Hmmm. I poster who regularly bashes Coach Smith starts two threads that both begin by inaccurately claiming that Smith predicted the Tigers would make the NCAA tournament next season. I wonder what's the endgame here...

What else could a "very good team" mean when uttered by the head coach of the Memphis Tigers?

I am pleased to see it and admit I was wrong about him using his past failure to lower the bar.
04-29-2017 10:25 AM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-29-2017 10:21 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  

I think some good Tiger fans have diminished their expectations despite Tubby's optimism.
Your boy Josh missed the NCAA (and NIT) two years in a row with top rated talent, You thought he should have been kept . Everybody with an ounce of sense knew that this year would have been worse than the last two , yet you bash Tubby and now you post passive/aggressive non-sense to make Tubby look bad.

Why don't you just admit that you had a personal feeling for Josh and that you don't like Tubby (for some reason) and leave it at that, everyone that has seen many of you post knows this
04-29-2017 11:01 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(04-29-2017 11:01 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Your boy Josh missed the NCAA (and NIT) two years in a row with top rated talent, You thought he should have been kept . Everybody with an ounce of sense knew that this year would have been worse than the last two , yet you bash Tubby and now you post passive/aggressive non-sense to make Tubby look bad.

Why don't you just admit that you had a personal feeling for Josh and that you don't like Tubby (for some reason) and leave it at that, everyone that has seen many of you post knows this

Opie is not the coach of the Memphis Tigers. Although I have nothing against him personally, his tenure is just data for the grindstone for me. I do not partake in the Opie fixation around here. Good riddance.

For the record, I like Tubby. My posts about him are based on his performance. It is not personal.

Let's stop firing ad hominem attacks and hunting for phantom motives. I know you are a good Tiger fan. We are all Tiger fans hoping for success.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 11:19 AM by Tiger1983.)
04-29-2017 11:11 AM
Advertisement

BuccTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU
(04-29-2017 10:21 AM)Motor City Sam Wrote:  Hmmm. I poster who regularly bashes Coach Smith starts two threads that both begin by inaccurately claiming that Smith predicted the Tigers would make the NCAA tournament next season. I wonder what's the endgame here...

Yes, you know it makes you wonder what the poster thinks the IQ of the readers of his posts are, OR the IQ of the author of the posts. I just don't understand why they all desire the implied cheating required by their stated recovery timeline. They are wanting a turnaround calendar that even the great Cal himself didn't accomplish, and he cheated every chance he got. Even as good as Cal was at cheating, he got caught.
04-29-2017 11:56 AM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

(04-29-2017 11:11 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 11:01 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

Opie is not the coach of the Memphis Tigers. Although I have nothing against him personally, his tenure is just data for the grindstone for me. I do not partake in the Opie fixation around here. Good riddance.

For the record, I like Tubby. My posts about him are based on his performance. It is not personal.

Let's stop firing ad hominem attacks and hunting for phantom motives. I know you are a good Tiger fan. We are all Tiger fans hoping for success.

bull****!
04-29-2017 11:57 AM
Sundanceuiuc Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: .
A lot.
04-29-2017 12:05 PM
Easterwood Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(04-29-2017 11:56 AM)BuccTiger Wrote:  

Yes, you know it makes you wonder what the poster thinks the IQ of the readers of his posts are, OR the IQ of the author of the posts. I just don't understand why they all desire the implied cheating required by their stated recovery timeline. They are wanting a turnaround calendar that even the great Cal himself didn't accomplish, and he cheated every chance he got. Even as good as Cal was at cheating, he got caught.

When?
04-29-2017 12:16 PM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

(04-29-2017 12:16 PM)Easterwood Wrote:  

When?

Yes you are correct, "Cal" didn't get caught. All the "good" ones hang the crime around the neck of their employer, I.e., their school.
04-29-2017 12:25 PM
Advertisement

snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(04-29-2017 12:05 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  A lot.

Many here are saying that we are at the point where the perception of our Tiger BB brand will not attract good players, so we have to build ourselves back up over a period of years before the good players will look at us again.

If this is the new reality of Tiger Basketball, why are we getting our expectations in a wad over a player like Dickerson? That guy is really good! No complaints from me there. Trey Dickerson would be an awesome addition.

But it seems to indicate that there's hope we can get good players now.

Go Tigers Go!
04-29-2017 02:08 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis

If I am not mistaken in Cal's 2nd season we were regular season champ then NIT champ. I think I could live with that.
04-29-2017 02:23 PM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

(04-29-2017 02:23 PM)memtigbb Wrote:  

If I am not mistaken in Cal's 2nd season we were regular season champ then NIT champ. I think I could live with that.
I would be thrilled with that, but I think we are two seasons away from nit championship, or the like. I do think we can win a few games in the nit. Cal put us in jail.
04-29-2017 02:30 PM
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

(04-29-2017 02:08 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(04-29-2017 12:05 PM)Sundanceuiuc Wrote:  A lot.

Many here are saying that we are at the point where the perception of our Tiger BB brand will not attract good players, so we have to build ourselves back up over a period of years before the good players will look at us again.

If this is the new reality of Tiger Basketball, why are we getting our expectations in a wad over a player like Dickerson? That guy is really good! No complaints from me there. Trey Dickerson would be an awesome addition.

But it seems to indicate that there's hope we can get good players now.

Go Tigers Go!
There are not enough "other factors" players who are 4 and 5 stars to turn it that fast. Other factors, being Tubby's nephew, son of a former Tiger, sick parent in Memphis, etc.
04-29-2017 02:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.