Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN is crumbling, what can this mean???
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Online
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
ESPN is crumbling, what can this mean???
ESPN has terminated 100 employees, including on air talent. This is result of subscribers being down as more people "cut the cord". Since ESPN owns a ton of the bowls, what could this mean??? Will we start seeing the non revenue producing bowls contract??? If these bowl numbers contract, will it do more to force some sort of reorganizing of the current divisions of college football???

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out over the next 6-18 months.
04-26-2017 10:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

moehler Offline
1st String

I Root For: App State
RE: ESPN is crumbling, what can this mean???
was reading about the first cuts, and so far, most of the biggest names with the biggest contracts are still there. I'm not smart enough to predict what will happen, but its always interesting that the last 3 or 4 years when the parent company Disney releases its quarterly earnings, the ESPN numbers are always the worst, you got to wonder how much more Disney and the stockholders are going to put up with the dismal numbers, not sure that cutting a few writers/staffers and second tier on air personalities, is going to make the stockholders happy.
04-27-2017 07:07 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Move the CFP semifinal to New Year's day permanently and tell the Rose Bowl to pound sand.
04-27-2017 07:11 AM
SkullyMaroo Online

You can rest assured that the bowls that have a P5 tie-in aren't going anywhere. And don't be surprised if the other bowls that stay behind all vie to align with the P5 any time their contract is up for negotiation.
04-27-2017 07:55 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
Just as was mentioned on the CUSA board, ESPN has too many shows with talking heads and not enough sports being shown throughout the week.

Shows like Michael & Jamele, Pardon the Interruption, Outside the Lines.... they're all crap and annoying. I hear enough political news online and on TV. When I go to ESPN, I want to hear and watch LIVE SPORTS... and HIGHLIGHTS... and TOP PLAYS...

These are reasons ESPN is falling apart. They are filling their inventory with talk shows.
04-27-2017 08:16 AM
USAJag2011 Offline
1st String

(04-27-2017 08:16 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Just as was mentioned on the CUSA board, ESPN has too many shows with talking heads and not enough sports being shown throughout the week.

Shows like Michael & Jamele, Pardon the Interruption, Outside the Lines.... they're all crap and annoying. I hear enough political news online and on TV. When I go to ESPN, I want to hear and watch LIVE SPORTS... and HIGHLIGHTS... and TOP PLAYS...

These are reasons ESPN is falling apart. They are filling their inventory with talk shows.

Agree 100%.
04-27-2017 08:56 AM
Advertisement

Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
As I get older my tolerance for talking heads gets smaller
04-27-2017 09:01 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: FAU
(04-27-2017 08:56 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(04-27-2017 08:16 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Just as was mentioned on the CUSA board, ESPN has too many shows with talking heads and not enough sports being shown throughout the week.

Agree 100%.

It is not the politics, it is too many talking heads. Saving talking heads for espn radio.
04-27-2017 09:02 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

Its also cord cutters. espn needs to be able to sell its networks to internet users without cable packages.
04-27-2017 09:19 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

3rd ESPN needs to make its networks available to OTA broadcasters on digital subchannels 5-2, 6-3,etc
04-27-2017 09:19 AM
ericsaid Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App. State/ECU
Firing 100 people won't move ESPN's budget sheet. This screams restructuring of content and providing a fresh perspective from new faces.
04-27-2017 09:22 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

If ESPN was crumbling they would be selling off bowls, not purchasing more. They would not be renewing contracts that are losing money, they would reduce the amount of content they provide online, they would cut costs elsewhere. This is likely a restructuring to attempt to cut cost while developing ways to increase revenue by providing new content.
04-27-2017 09:23 AM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
04-27-2017 09:33 AM
bluephi1914 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: ULM
Well, the effect will be a stagnant TV deal for groups like the SBC and CUSA. I feel sorry for all of those schools who decided to get into the conference realignment race and ballooned their budgets to unsustainable levels in hopes of being a target for CUSA, the AAC and (chuckle) the Big XII. With networks contracting their content purchase offerings, those schools will soon have to either find new revenue or reduce their budgets. This is evidenced by the recent statements made by USM's AD. Many are highly leveraged via student fees, but some states are looking at forcing that to be scaled back. That is why, regardless of what is said about ULM we are content because we are stable and setup for real organic growth. The next 5 years will be interesting for all G5 schools. It is time that some realities be accepted and schools begin to wise up about the economic path that is ahead. Might as well call it a recession that will hit the G5 programs.
04-27-2017 09:50 AM
voss749 Offline
Special Teams

It smells more like getting rid of expensive talent that doesnt produce ratings
04-27-2017 09:52 AM
southcharlotteapp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
I'm not sure ESPN is crumbling. According to their website, they employ approximately 8000 people worldwide. This cut equates to about 1% of their workforce. This appears to be cutting of the fat. ESPN will likely adapt with the times. I'm not sure what that means for bowls, etc, but I don't think ESPN is in trouble.
04-27-2017 09:53 AM
Advertisement

ericsaid Offline
Heisman

(04-27-2017 09:53 AM)southcharlotteapp Wrote:  I'm not sure ESPN is crumbling. According to their website, they employ approximately 8000 people worldwide. This cut equates to about 1% of their workforce. This appears to be cutting of the fat. ESPN will likely adapt with the times. I'm not sure what that means for bowls, etc, but I don't think ESPN is in trouble.

ESPN bought the Miami Beach bowl from the AAC which was the reason for it's move to Frisco. I think ESPN is aligning themselves with providing more coverage of sports and less talk shows.
04-27-2017 10:23 AM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
(04-27-2017 09:02 AM)voss749 Wrote:  
(04-27-2017 08:56 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

Agree 100%.

It is not the politics, it is too many talking heads. Saving talking heads for espn radio.

Every time I tune into a show to have something on in the background, they will usually bring up something political. From Tim Tebow, to Kaepernick, to women's rights, to the lack of black coaches, to Donald Trump, to Barack Obama, to elongated debates on the lack of women coaches in women's basketball and pay differences between genders...

I hear enough of that on the news networks. When I'm on ESPN, that's supposed to be a getaway from the world and for people to just enjoy sports. It used to be that way just 10 years ago.
04-27-2017 10:52 AM
AppManDG Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
Perhaps some sanity will return to college football and we'll actually have teams going to bowls with more than barely a winning record.

Sent from my XT1254 using CSNbbs mobile app
04-27-2017 11:32 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(04-27-2017 09:19 AM)voss749 Wrote:  Its also cord cutters. espn needs to be able to sell its networks to internet users without cable packages.

I heard on the radio they were losing 10,000 subscribers a month in 2016. They get $7 per cable subscriber.

They pay sports anchors like they were celebrities when the games are the stars and massively overpaid for broadcast rights including P5 college football. Kinda of glad we never got a bunch of TV money as we will not miss it like many P5's will.
04-27-2017 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.