Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cuse Spring Game, 10am Sat ACC Network
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Updated rules...1s O vs 2s D, 2s O vs 1s D (changed again)

Mostly traditional scrimmage...on at 10am, ACC Network.

I'm hoping to see lots of everything offense wise. Defense is using more m2m as the personnel is maturing and transfers are increasing the overall depth/athleticism.

Hoping Cuse actually surprises this Fall and makes a jump to 3rd or 4th in the Atlantic. We are actually getting a handful of 4 star kids on the roster through recruiting/transfer. We have a 4 star JUCO TE versus a limited legacy transfer from last season.

The O line is a year older (several kids played before they were ready) and improved. The D line is getting better through recruiting and maturation too. The walk on 2nd string QB is actually making plays this year...but Dungey is the "Guy". Waiting in the wings is 3 star Rex Culpepper (his Dad, Brad, was a UF AA and is currently on CBS's Survivor wearing the Cuse hat) and true frosh 4 star Tommie DeVito who did well at The Opening

The LBers and WRers should both be Top 5 ACC units.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 09:08 AM by TexanMark.)
04-22-2017 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

RE: Cuse Spring Game, 10am Sat ACC Network
1st Half over

Best plays made by the Tight Ends. One a JUCO AA and the 2nd one a transfer from Holy Cross (not eligible this Fall). O Line and Dungey not looking that good so far...
04-22-2017 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Scrimmage over..ran about 60 mins start to finish

Orange (1st String O) 14 -0 win

A pick 6 (Cordy) and a bomb thrown by Dungey to Devin Butler.

One injury OL Aaron Roberts...looks like either a concussion or arm injury...couldn't tell.

Overall looks like only one injury in the Spring (Aaron Roberts)...Coach Babers said he should be g2g for August
04-22-2017 10:11 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
I saw the very beginning and the very end, and I had to miss a big chunk in the middle. Either the defense got a lot better, or the offense looked soft.

Still, I think that the team should improve dramatically as the year progresses due to how new and radically different the offensive philosophy is compared to past teams.
04-22-2017 12:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/i...iver_index

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/i...iver_index

Hard to estimate (most of the crowd not in the camera view)...but it looked like 5k
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 01:45 PM by TexanMark.)
04-22-2017 12:42 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
14-0 in a spring game. I thought most spring games ended up with someone scoring about 50.
04-22-2017 01:49 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(04-22-2017 01:49 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  14-0 in a spring game. I thought most spring games ended up with someone scoring about 50.

Depends on the format...plus Babers was ultra conservative with the play calling. Lots of quick whistles on QB plays with scrambles and pocket rushes

Overall it was pretty blah...but the talent is there to win more than 4 games despite 11 bowl teams on the schedule.
04-22-2017 04:25 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-22-2017 04:25 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(04-22-2017 01:49 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  14-0 in a spring game. I thought most spring games ended up with someone scoring about 50.

Depends on the format...plus Babers was ultra conservative with the play calling. Lots of quick whistles on QB plays with scrambles and pocket rushes

Overall it was pretty blah...but the talent is there to win more than 4 games despite 11 bowl teams on the schedule.

I think we either go 4-8 or 5-7. 6-6 and a bowl would be huge w/ our schedule.
04-22-2017 05:44 PM
HtownOrange Offline
All American

What I saw was a vanilla offense, faster defense and very quick plays. There were too many penalties for the offense to get rolling, indicating the line play is not yet where it needs to be, but better than last season. Considering the O-line changed the most drastically over the season and suffered heavy injuries, I am not surprised that they are not quite where we would want them as the personnel have not yet worked together enough.

Philips was out and Ishmael's number was not called as much as it will be in a game. This indicates to me that HCDB wanted to see what others could do more than showcase the best case scenarios.

I am pleased the defense has everyone healthy and there is depth, with experience. Defense should be decent this fall, though, Clemson and FSU probably will not be shaking in their boots. LJ should be better contained this fall compared to last fall; more experience, depth, faster, stronger players and guys are flying to the ball (that said, if LJ has great receivers he may be containing himself more and more in prep for his future Sunday game).

The QB depth is now reasonable to respectable. Dungey is healthy, Mallone is more comfortable with the offense, Culpepper had some nice throws and Devito arrives this fall (though he may red shirt, depending on how quick he picks up the offense). The walk on kid has work to do, but this system is designed for to help a QB once he learns it, who knows.

The running game will be improved. Moe Neal can run and catch but not built to carry the team as a running back. We have one big back and another coming in the fall. Not as deep as I prefer but probably enough to get through the season.

The LB corp should be very good, with the MLBs one of the better tandems in the ACC. The D line looks better and deeper, though I hope Stephen Clark is able to return, he has been very good to the D line, even though it was very thin last season.

The kicking game was not on display today, no comments on kick-offs, field goals, extra points and punting, nor on the corresponding coverages, other than to say that we now have a good coach that can coach the special teams. We should see some improvement.

In my opinion, a bowl game is a reasonable expectation, in spite of this year's schedule. HCDB says it takes a season and a half for the offense to fully click, we should see improvement over the season and then some really good games in the second half of the season.
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2017 06:27 PM by HtownOrange.)
04-22-2017 06:25 PM
Advertisement

CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Thanks for the further information. I am just surprised by 14-0 with the combo of Babers plus your typical spring games where offense seems to rule the day nationwide.
04-22-2017 06:50 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(04-22-2017 06:25 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  What I saw was a vanilla offense, faster defense and very quick plays. There were too many penalties for the offense to get rolling, indicating the line play is not yet where it needs to be, but better than last season. Considering the O-line changed the most drastically over the season and suffered heavy injuries, I am not surprised that they are not quite where we would want them as the personnel have not yet worked together enough.

Philips was out and Ishmael's number was not called as much as it will be in a game. This indicates to me that HCDB wanted to see what others could do more than showcase the best case scenarios.

I am pleased the defense has everyone healthy and there is depth, with experience. Defense should be decent this fall, though, Clemson and FSU probably will not be shaking in their boots. LJ should be better contained this fall compared to last fall; more experience, depth, faster, stronger players and guys are flying to the ball (that said, if LJ has great receivers he may be containing himself more and more in prep for his future Sunday game).

The QB depth is now reasonable to respectable. Dungey is healthy, Mallone is more comfortable with the offense, Culpepper had some nice throws and Devito arrives this fall (though he may red shirt, depending on how quick he picks up the offense). The walk on kid has work to do, but this system is designed for to help a QB once he learns it, who knows.

The running game will be improved. Moe Neal can run and catch but not built to carry the team as a running back. We have one big back and another coming in the fall. Not as deep as I prefer but probably enough to get through the season.

The LB corp should be very good, with the MLBs one of the better tandems in the ACC. The D line looks better and deeper, though I hope Stephen Clark is able to return, he has been very good to the D line, even though it was very thin last season.

The kicking game was not on display today, no comments on kick-offs, field goals, extra points and punting, nor on the corresponding coverages, other than to say that we now have a good coach that can coach the special teams. We should see some improvement.

In my opinion, a bowl game is a reasonable expectation, in spite of this year's schedule. HCDB says it takes a season and a half for the offense to fully click, we should see improvement over the season and then some really good games in the second half of the season.

After what I saw when I watched the game just now on WatchESPN I dunno if I would be confident enough to make that statement. Got to watch the whole thing since the wife is feeling sickly due to an overabundance of oak tree pollen.

Your OL was unable to generate any push in the run game on a sub-par DL. After the first three games you stand a good chance of your next six opponent's DLs eating them alive.

Your #1 RB Strickland would be in a dog fight to start anywhere in the lower half of the conference, and Moe Neal would be a role player at best and probably what Clemson evaluated him as....a DB. Your only running option that should cause an opposing DC pause is Dungey and the past two years he's shown that he's made of glass so I question how much y'all are going to want to run him. You best hope the young RB coming in catch on quick or else opposing DCs are going to learn quick to sit on your horizontal passing game.

At WR you had better hope that you have a freshman coming in this summer who can take the top off a defense because the number of teams on your schedule this fall that you'll be able to dink and dunk effectively against are few and far between, and I think you are going to struggle to throw the ball vertically because of the limitations of your WR Corps. As it stands you don't have a WR on your current roster that a DC has to gameplan around. For that matter I don't believe there is a WR on your roster who would make the two deep at Clemson. Watching this game and knowing the personnel that Clemson has I honestly don't see a situation where Clemson would have to consider dedicating extra help to a DB to cover one of your WR. I imagine in the future this shouldn't be a problem considering that the kind of WR friendly offense that Babers has should attract some better talent but that's little solace for this year. I foresee a lot of gameplanning on your part to try and get your WR open this year.

Despite being a junior Dungey still makes freshman mistakes reading coverage. Perhaps it's partially because he's missed so much time the past two seasons being injured, but he made some horrible coverage reads in this game.

Don't be shocked if the walk-on Hasan isn't the #2 QB coming out of the fall. Granted, he came into the game late and wasn't playing against the best of talent but IMO he made the best reads of any of the QBs today. Culpepper might have the better physical tools but I believe Hasan has a better mental grasp and will take better care of the ball.

I like some of the younger back seven players you have on defense. Armstrong is going to be a baller and All-ACC before all is said and done.

There isn't an obvious win on your conference schedule. Out of your OOC I would put CCSU and Central Michigan as wins, LSU as a loss, and while MTSU should be a win they do have an offense capable of hanging with you in a shootout so they aren't necessarily an automatic. In the conference I would put NCSU, Clemson, FSU, and Louisville as losses with the rest as toss-ups. I can already see the protests on NCSU but IMO it would not be shocking if at the end of the year NCSU has the #2 DL in the country behind Clemson.

With the schedule you have this year you could have the same record and still be improved. For all of the talk Babers does about a year and a half and his offense I don't think it's going to matter when you are at such a physical disadvantage. Scheme can only do so much, and honestly it's not like he's running anything too terribly different than the rest of the conference.
04-22-2017 11:09 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Pitt and Miami are both very tough opponents as well. Cuse almost starts with 7 losses (LSU, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Miami). The Orange could be significantly better and still not bowl-eligible.
04-23-2017 06:53 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2017 06:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Pitt and Miami are both very tough opponents as well. Cuse almost starts with 7 losses (LSU, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Miami). The Orange could be significantly better and still not bowl-eligible.

We always play Pitt close ... and lose. I'm hoping that this will be the year.
04-23-2017 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Barbers is doing a good job recruiting, he'll need time to develop the younger players. Armstrong & Divito look promising. It was easier to go from the bottom to top in the BE than it is in the new ACC.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2017 08:57 AM by Lenvillecards.)
04-23-2017 08:55 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

We have several JUCOs coming in on the defense. The RB situation is bad but the true frosh Markenzy Pierre out the Orlando area is solid. Also, Babers has a 280lbs jumbo back coming in to get the tough yard.

The OL is the biggest weakness...I think the Defense improves more than any fall back on the offense. You guys are right...the team could finish 4-8 and still be much improved.

I see wins vs CCSU, CMU, MTSU, BC and Wake and the key will be if they can steal a game among the rest. With one less bowl game this year...at most I see one or two 5-7 teams going bowling.

Our WRs are better than CatDaddy states. Phillips was held out for a minor ankle injury and Jamal Custis either had a bad game or was being held back. Whispers were he was outstanding this Spring.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2017 10:07 AM by TexanMark.)
04-23-2017 10:03 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(04-23-2017 10:03 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  We have several JUCOs coming in on the defense. The RB situation is bad but the true frosh Markenzy Pierre out the Orlando area is solid. Also, Babers has a 280lbs jumbo back coming in to get the tough yard.

The OL is the biggest weakness...I think the Defense improves more than any fall back on the offense. You guys are right...the team could finish 4-8 and still be much improved.

I see wins vs CCSU, CMU, MTSU, BC and Wake and the key will be if they can steal a game among the rest. With one less bowl game this year...at most I see one or two 5-7 teams going bowling.

Our WRs are better than CatDaddy states. Phillips was held out for a minor ankle injury and Jamal Custis either had a bad game or was being held back. Whispers were he was outstanding this Spring.

We roll CCSU, CMU, and MTSU, and we probably beat BC and Wake. That's the 4-5 wins in the bag. Pulling out an upset against one of FSU, Clemson, LSU, Miami, Pitt, and NCSU is #6 (#5 if we go 4-1 in the other games) and possibly a bowl.

My best guess is 5-7 w/ a WTF loss and a WTF win.
04-23-2017 11:44 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(04-23-2017 06:53 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Pitt and Miami are both very tough opponents as well. Cuse almost starts with 7 losses (LSU, Clemson, FSU, Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Miami). The Orange could be significantly better and still not bowl-eligible.

[Image: C-HECePXoAAYdCW.jpg]

So UM enters summer with a great defense, high-end RB (Walton), high-end WR (Richards), high-end TE (Herndon) but concern, uncertainty at QB
-- @flasportsbuzz

pinning our hopes on a true freshman ...

FLYING BLIND
04-25-2017 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.