Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will Marshall and West Virginia ever play again anytime soon?
Bookmark and Share
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
Exclamation Will Marshall and West Virginia ever play again anytime soon?
The 2010 Friends of Coal Bowl was on ESPN Classics late night and it hit me that Marshall and West Virginia haven't hooked up in a while. For my Marshall people and those in the know, what are the chances of the series being renewed in the next decade or so?
04-15-2017 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TomorrowHerd Offline
Protecting the Northern Flank

I Root For: Pie!!!!

Donators
RE: Will Marshall and West Virginia ever play again anytime soon?
04-15-2017 08:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Our 7 year deal ended in 2012. WVU was pressured by the then-governor tried to do a fair deal with Marshall. We ended up coming up with a 4-2 deal, with the middle game to played at the home of whoever won the best of the first three (which WVU won), so it in essence became a 5-for-2 deal (but we did get the two best games in the series being in Huntington).

I wouldn't say our chances of getting games are absolute zero - see the other thread about our new governor already interfering with Marshall's athletic department, basically calling for us to do better and wanting Holliday and Hamrick replaced. He's the kind of guy that might very well force a series between the two. But the two sides would not be close to a deal without intervention.
04-15-2017 10:04 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
They play in almost everything besides football and now basketball since Huggins got his puppet AD in there. In the past 20 years Marshall has won the "Golden Ball" (trophy for the Marshall/WVU volleyball game) 18 times, only losing in 2013 and year before last 2015. In Tennis Marshall has beat WVU 19 out of the last 20 years, usually in straight sets.

I wish they had softball so we could kick their rears in something else. Baseball is usually competitive and we have taken the series 2 out of the last 3 years.
04-15-2017 10:10 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Who friggin cares???
04-15-2017 11:32 AM
MU ATO Offline
THE ONE AND ONLY

I Root For: MU, GCU, U of I

Donators
F WVU. I hope we cancel every sporting event we play each other in. They are all whiny ******* & have ruined what were fun events.
04-15-2017 02:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
Playing Marshall does nothing for them except fill their stadium and on returns give them a close game for their fans to travel to. But William and Mary, well that's a real schedule.
04-16-2017 05:13 AM
jaminniner Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Charlotte
Does Charleston have a stadium big enough to host a neutral site game similar to Little Rock or Birmingham?
04-16-2017 07:12 AM
MUther Offline
Heisman

CrappiesCrappies
(04-16-2017 07:12 AM)jaminniner Wrote:  Does Charleston have a stadium big enough to host a neutral site game similar to Little Rock or Birmingham?

No. At one time there was talk of NASCAR putting a track in in Flatwoods, which would be a midway point. They discussed have the ability to put a field in the center and have enough seating. The place didn't pan out like people hoped and an outlet mall there is pretty run down and in the middle of nowhere.
04-16-2017 08:44 AM
usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
About as likely as Ole Miss ever playing USM again. I am fortunate enough to have been at all of the OM/USM games at the end of when we played. Beating them 5 out of the last 7 and especially the last 2 means I could care less if we ever play them again. The record means we beat them into never playing us again, so good riddance.
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2017 11:30 AM by usmbacker.)
04-16-2017 12:28 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Not if WV has a say in it. Only happens if politicians force it.
04-17-2017 06:54 AM
Advertisement

SVHerd Offline
All American

I Root For:
Don't want them and don't need them. We have great teams coming in the next 4-5 years.
04-17-2017 10:09 AM
va-eagle Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
(04-17-2017 10:09 AM)SVHerd Wrote:  Don't want them and don't need them. We have great teams coming in the next 4-5 years.

If that is true, then that is a reason why you would want to get them in a contract now. I'm sure Justice is going to push for a new series.
04-18-2017 07:36 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(04-16-2017 12:28 PM)usmbacker Wrote:  About as likely as Ole Miss ever playing USM again. I am fortunate enough to have been at all of the OM/USM games at the end of when we played. Beating them 5 out of the last 7 and especially the last 2 means I could care less if we ever play them again. The record means we beat them into never playing us again, so good riddance.

Thats how ODU fans feel about VT in basketball.
04-18-2017 09:44 AM
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
03-hissyfit
(04-16-2017 08:44 AM)MUther Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 07:12 AM)jaminniner Wrote:  Does Charleston have a stadium big enough to host a neutral site game similar to Little Rock or Birmingham?

No. At one time there was talk of NASCAR putting a track in in Flatwoods, which would be a midway point. They discussed have the ability to put a field in the center and have enough seating. The place didn't pan out like people hoped and an outlet mall there is pretty run down and in the middle of nowhere.

Possibly the most southern paragraph I've ever read. The only thing missing is confederate flags, hound dogs, and grandma.

And I'm southern. Not putting OP down at all. It was just exquisite capturing our essence.
04-18-2017 10:02 AM
Surbadger Offline
1st String

Laidley Field in Charleston holds 18, 500 and is the third biggest behind both the Joan (MU) and the WVU stadium. If a series were to happen, it would have to be in Huntington and Morganhole. Our basketball series, The Capital Classic was played in Charleston at the Charleston Civic Center. This deal was not good for MU because Charleston is predominantly WVU sided.

We don't need WVU in these sports, we already beat them on a yearly basis in out Olympic sports.
04-18-2017 10:02 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2017 10:02 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  , we already beat them on a yearly basis in out Olympic sports.

As I said we thump them pretty regularly in Volleyball and Tennis, its usually a one sided affair. Shame they have gymnastics instead of softball, it would be another Olympic sport we would murder them at.

BTW

#21 wvu
Marshall
Appalachian Power Park
April 18, 2017

They will play Marshall, just not when its visible. The so called Capital Classic had the TV rights held by the people up in Morgantown. And that's the reason you never seen the game. Unless you had WSAZ, WOWK or WCHS, you couldn't see it. The EErs weren't going to let ESPN or even later CSTV/CBSSports broadcast it, just incase they were to lose.
04-18-2017 11:21 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(04-16-2017 05:13 AM)MUther Wrote:  Playing Marshall does nothing for them except fill their stadium and on returns give them a close game for their fans to travel to. But William and Mary, well that's a real schedule.

Don't hate. We should've beaten them. No need to throw shade at a third party because you don't like WVU. And W&M has had the same number of NFL draft picks as Marshall since 2010 (5 each).
04-18-2017 01:05 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-18-2017 11:21 AM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(04-18-2017 10:02 AM)Surbadger Wrote:  , we already beat them on a yearly basis in out Olympic sports.

As I said we thump them pretty regularly in Volleyball and Tennis, its usually a one sided affair. Shame they have gymnastics instead of softball, it would be another Olympic sport we would murder them at.

BTW

#21 wvu
Marshall
Appalachian Power Park
April 18, 2017

They will play Marshall, just not when its visible. The so called Capital Classic had the TV rights held by the people up in Morgantown. And that's the reason you never seen the game. Unless you had WSAZ, WOWK or WCHS, you couldn't see it. The EErs weren't going to let ESPN or even later CSTV/CBSSports broadcast it, just incase they were to lose.

You can blame MU for signing away the TV rights to wvu.
04-18-2017 01:06 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-18-2017 01:06 PM)Flat Tire 2 Wrote:  You can blame MU for signing away the TV rights to wvu.

I don't care how the Morganholers got the TV rights. They still wouldn't sell them to a major broadcaster to show the game nationwide. And if Marshall would have pulled the 2010 football game out in Huntington, you can almost bank on it for them to break the contract and not play the next 3 games.
04-18-2017 02:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.