Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting tweet
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Interesting tweet
RedditCFB @RedditCFB
If ACC boycotts state of NC again, proposed bill in NC legislature would force UNC and NCState to leave the conference immediately https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/...4269355008
04-12-2017 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H.U.S.T.L.E. Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: VT / JMU
RE: Interesting tweet
What a bunch of knuckleheads. This is the hilarious part:

Quote:House Bill 728 says if an intercollegiate athletic association boycotts North Carolina, then the UNC campuses that are a part of that conference are prohibited from extending the grant of media rights to that conference.

The bill also says the UNC campuses would provide written notice to the conference they intend to leave it when those media rights expire.

So, with a signed grant of rights deal that extends until 2036, good luck with that. On top of that, who knows what the college sports landscape will look like in 20 years?

Lawmakers in the state of North Carolina show they have no foresight yet again. Not that it has much of a chance to even reach the floor, but it's still laughable.
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2017 10:41 AM by H.U.S.T.L.E..)
04-12-2017 10:40 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
Freedom of Association, The Essentials of Human Rights 18, states it involves coming together with other individuals and collectively express, promote, pursue and defend common interests. It is both an individual right and a collective right, guaranteed by all modern and democratic legal systems, including the United States Bill of Rights
-- wiki

DOA (DEAD ON ARRIVAL)
04-12-2017 11:10 AM
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
Epic Mind Blown
04-12-2017 11:24 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(04-12-2017 10:21 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  RedditCFB @RedditCFB
If ACC boycotts state of NC again, proposed bill in NC legislature would force UNC and NCState to leave the conference immediately https://twitter.com/AlexRoseNews/status/...4269355008

04-12-2017 12:40 PM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
You have to consider the political landscape in North Carolina. The Republican Party has essentially engineered a virtually bulletproof hold on the state legislature (not to mention the state's congressional delegation), that could only be disrupted by SCOTUS at this point. So they have no incentive to be rational in anything they do. Their only imperative is to continue to throw red meat to most extreme right wing of their party.

This bill, like HB2 before it, is little more than a demonstration of their power. It is NC's version of the "nuclear option", meant to assert that this state has no interest in accepting any federal authority whatsoever. It doesn't matter that the bills they pass be constitutional, or even sane, as long as they tweak the noses of anybody to the left of themselves on the political spectrum.
04-12-2017 03:51 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(04-12-2017 03:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  You have to consider the political landscape in North Carolina. The Republican Party has essentially engineered a virtually bulletproof hold on the state legislature (not to mention the state's congressional delegation), that could only be disrupted by SCOTUS at this point. So they have no incentive to be rational in anything they do. Their only imperative is to continue to throw red meat to most extreme right wing of their party.

This bill, like HB2 before it, is little more than a demonstration of their power. It is NC's version of the "nuclear option", meant to assert that this state has no interest in accepting any federal authority whatsoever. It doesn't matter that the bills they pass be constitutional, or even sane, as long as they tweak the noses of anybody to the left of themselves on the political spectrum.

Bully for them, I guess. They keep costing NC tons of money. Keep it up, I suppose.
04-12-2017 03:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
Chill. It's not happening. Nothing more than a few dead enders.
04-12-2017 04:02 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(04-12-2017 03:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  You have to consider the political landscape in North Carolina. The Republican Party has essentially engineered a virtually bulletproof hold on the state legislature (not to mention the state's congressional delegation), that could only be disrupted by SCOTUS at this point. So they have no incentive to be rational in anything they do. Their only imperative is to continue to throw red meat to most extreme right wing of their party.

I actually agree with you and I'm pretty darn conservative. The **** has gotten absurd. Just focus on things that are realistic AND matter, like taxes, job creation,, etc

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
04-12-2017 07:54 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
You sound a lot like my father. He's a good man but a little rigid ideologically. He gets so upset over the ongoing legalization of marijuana. He thinks it is a sign of the apocalypse. I think it's a generational thing but I typically indulge him.

Honestly, he sometimes gets upset with Fox News because he thinks they've gotten too soft on the Democrats. He's that level of crazy conservative.

We had dinner tonight and when politics came up, imagine my surprise when he started railing about this issue AGAINST the legislature. When it started, I thought to myself, "Oh, goodness, here we go!"

However, even HE thinks the NC legislature is going too far. He worries that all this muscle flexing is going to ultimately cost the GOP power and credibility - especially outside of the blood red areas - and he is absolutely right.

When you have legislators openly comparing Abraham Lincoln to Adolf Hitler, i'm talking about succeeding at the photo of government forces you allow gays to get married, you are completely lost at sea.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2017 07:40 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
04-13-2017 07:37 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I always tell people this story about my dad and his politics. I was well into my late 20s, maybe even my early 30s and I voted one night. We were definitely raised in a politically aware home and voting was always very important to my folks.

I have never failed to vote in the general election and I have only missed a handful of midterms in my life. I cannot vote in the primaries because I am a registered independent and it is illegal in the state of Pennsylvania for an independent to participate in either a Democratic or Republican primary.

Anyway, the one night, long before our kids arrived on the scene, my wife was traveling for business and I was all by myself. My parents live about 20 minutes away and I'm not as good as I should be about just popping in. That night, I was already out so I decided to pick up dinner and surprise them.

I walked in and of course they were happy to see me and they were surprised. And then, the first words out of my dad's mouth were, "Did you remember to vote?"
I told him of course I did and then he asked, "Who did you vote for?"

There aren't many secrets in my home – never were.

There were four candidates on the ballot that night and I told him I voted for three Republicans and a Democrat.

He looked down in complete disgust and mumbled under his breath, "liberal."

I just laughed, but he was dead serious. In fact, that is precisely why I laughed.

When that guy thinks you've gone too far, you need to reevaluate. There's a difference between conservatism and extremism.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2017 07:53 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
04-13-2017 07:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.