Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Enquirer leading Charge Against UC Again
Bookmark and Share
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Enquirer leading Charge Against UC Again
No surprise they picked up quickly on the announcement the women's basketball and volleyball will be playing at St. Ursula. I expect a lawsuit will quickly follow.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/201.../98805914/

04-04-2017 11:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
RE: Enquirer leading Charge Against UC Again
I have to be completely honest if i was a player or coach i would much rather play in a gym that was full rather than with a lot of empty seats. Title 9 will throw common sense out the window, but it only hurts the team. When our illustrious coach put a consistent winner on the floor, i suspect they will have to worry about crowds.

04-04-2017 11:16 AM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
Ah come on. I am OK with women's sport. My daughter was a soccer and softball player in HS. Let's face facts. The fact is St. Ursula will hold the fans that our women's teams draw.

We have a lousy coach and team.

Will the Enquirer pick up the tab or find someone who will pay for something bigger?

04-04-2017 11:21 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
The article cited the UConn game which drew 4800 people. Obviously that was the expertion and not the rule. I am guessing they were lucky to get 4800 for the rest of the games combined--and that is with free admission.

I agree with someone above, I would rather play in a packed arena; albeit small, than an empty 13k seat arena.

04-04-2017 11:25 AM
bearcatmark Online

I Root For: the Deliverator
As a Title IX supporter who appreciates the good it has done for women and women's athletics, this is a completely idiotic take that of course the UC hating Enquirer would run with. This is about function for a 1 year temporary issue. No solution was going to be great. The men needed to accommodate fans to support the athletic department... The women needed a nice enough facility to play their games. This is not about valuing one program over the other. Both programs are getting what will likely be an amazing facility out of the deal. On the list of battles to pick this might be one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.

04-04-2017 11:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dave108 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: cincy
(04-04-2017 11:28 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  As a Title IX supporter who appreciates the good it has done for women and women's athletics, this is a completely idiotic take that of course the UC hating Enquirer would run with. This is about function for a 1 year temporary issue. No solution was going to be great. The men needed to accommodate fans to support the athletic department... The women needed a nice enough facility to play their games. This is not about valuing one program over the other. Both programs are getting what will likely be an amazing facility out of the deal. On the list of battles to pick this might be one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.

well said, and exactly on point? enough is enough - people just need to stop being so damn stupid

04-04-2017 11:36 AM
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
They can play in U.S Bank Arena - everybody wins!

COGS

04-04-2017 11:44 AM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
And did you see the story about poor little X getting "snubbed" on One Shining Moment because the video didn't show one X player falling on another in celebration of their victory over Arizona. Seems to be quite the stretch, but fits the story line the paper wants to maintain.

Big Bad UC
Poor little X

04-04-2017 11:59 AM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(04-04-2017 11:28 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  As a Title IX supporter who appreciates the good it has done for women and women's athletics, this is a completely idiotic take that of course the UC hating Enquirer would run with. This is about function for a 1 year temporary issue. No solution was going to be great. The men needed to accommodate fans to support the athletic department... The women needed a nice enough facility to play their games. This is not about valuing one program over the other. Both programs are getting what will likely be an amazing facility out of the deal. On the list of battles to pick this might be one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen.

Seems consistent with the media trends these days....

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 12:07 PM by Ragpicker.)
04-04-2017 12:06 PM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Unsubscribe, don't visit their website and give them ad money, and let them know why if they ask.

Of course, I had unsubscribed a few years ago because their carrier had only delivered the paper to me one out of every two Sundays, but if I was still a subscriber I would have unsubscribed when they did their best to scuttle UC's behind-the-scenes efforts to get into the Big 12.

04-04-2017 12:09 PM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(04-04-2017 11:59 AM)bearcatdp Wrote:  And did you see the story about poor little X getting "snubbed" on One Shining Moment because the video didn't show one X player falling on another in celebration of their victory over Arizona. Seems to be quite the stretch, but fits the story line the paper wants to maintain.

Big Bad UC
Poor little X
Noticed the same thing.

Realisitically, if UCONN is coming to town then they should find a new arena for that game alone. Other than that, the gym will hold what is neccesary. I don't understand what the problem is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

04-04-2017 12:09 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
I guess Cincinnati State or Hughes were not available.

04-04-2017 12:12 PM
cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I care more about the volleyball program than I do either basketball team. That is a good gym for a regular season volleyball match.

Also, nice copy editing by the fishwrap. Volleyball teams play matches not games.

I despise the absurd interpretations of title IX, which has been a bad trend the past several years.

04-04-2017 12:41 PM
#41 Offline
Special Teams

This isn't an Enquirer issue -- it's a general media issue of generating clicks via the Outrage Industrial Complex and a reflection of the fact that the readership for newspapers is skewing more and more liberal, leading news editors to keep feeding them red meat in the form of social justice reporting.

04-04-2017 01:19 PM
InspectorHound Offline
1st String

Do the St. John's women play at MSG?

04-04-2017 01:25 PM
UCBearcat4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
(04-04-2017 01:25 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  Do the St. John's women play at MSG?

mostly do a Doubleheader with men, but only a few games

04-04-2017 01:31 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Online
Heisman

(04-04-2017 01:19 PM)#41 Wrote:  This isn't an Enquirer issue -- it's a general media issue of generating clicks via the Outrage Industrial Complex and a reflection of the fact that the readership for newspapers is skewing more and more liberal, leading news editors to keep feeding them red meat in the form of social justice reporting.

Yep. I read an interesting posting some months ago from a former long-time Enquirer reporter who pretty much corroborated this. They have imported freshly minted journalism majors as reporters who know nothing about the city, its character or culture. You'll think this a punchline, but he said some of them had never even been to the Westside and didn't even know how to get there.

So this is the state of our "hometown" paper or what's left of it in 2017.

04-04-2017 01:38 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Dang,,I didn't think the ENQ was still delivering papers. I only read the O/L ENQ for the Obits.

04-04-2017 01:56 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-04-2017 01:38 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 01:19 PM)#41 Wrote:  This isn't an Enquirer issue -- it's a general media issue of generating clicks via the Outrage Industrial Complex and a reflection of the fact that the readership for newspapers is skewing more and more liberal, leading news editors to keep feeding them red meat in the form of social justice reporting.

Yep. I read an interesting posting some months ago from a former long-time Enquirer reporter who pretty much corroborated this. They have imported freshly minted journalism majors as reporters who know nothing about the city, its character or culture. You'll think this a punchline, but he said some of them had never even been to the Westside and didn't even know how to get there.

So this is the state of our "hometown" paper or what's left of it in 2017.

This. It's become pure garbage. Even the few long-time Enquirer reporters that are still around will tell you that. It's all a bunch of young, recently graduated millennial's being brought in from the east coast who have zero ties or knowledge about Cincinnati who promote Gannett's radical social justice agenda. USA Today/Gannett has completely ruined all local papers nationwide.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 02:13 PM by Marcus.)
04-04-2017 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
crex043 Offline
All American

It could be worse - they could be the Houston Lady Cougars playing in their own home arena, Hofheinz Pavilion.

04-04-2017 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.