Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

O/T: What a Big Dance MBB HC makes (e.g., A-10)
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
MyBB O/T: What a Big Dance MBB HC makes (e.g., A-10)
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries...ball/coach

There is a commercial on television where the woman planning for retirement says first she wants to run with the bulls.

In college sports, we usually say run with the big dogs.

For the purposes of MAC fandom, 'Big Dogs' are usually thought of as say conferences above the MAC but below the B1G, ACC, SEC, etc.

A-10 is the first which comes to mind. Those schools are the not the state flagship schools (VCU or George Mason shouldn't be confused with UVa or Virginia Tech; George Washington should not be confused with the behemoth in the state of Maryland, Univ. of Maryland or its rich neighbor, Georgetown.).

So what does the A-10 pay their head coaches:

VCU - 1.4M

Dayton - 1.16M

Rhode Isalnd - (paltry) 950K.

Dambrot is expected to get about 1M at Duquesne, a private Catholic college.

I believe Murphy's total package (base salary, media money, car allowance, etc.) is around 250 - 300K.

Someone mentioned maybe we could try to get Groce to come to EMU. Well, the Dayton job is open and it pays around 1M.

Head coaches at UVa, Va. Tech, and Maryland receive 2 - 3M per year.

As I posted on the main MAC board, the MAC has put a lot of $ in football at the expense of MBB and it is showing. MAC FB is pretty good these days (ask WMU and NIU who have played on New Year's Day 2013 and 2017). MAC MBB hasn't had two teams in the big dance this century (I believe that is right).

And re-consider Dayton: They paid Archie Miller over 1M to coach their MBB team, the Flyers, and he flew off to coach Indiana...

I wish I remember what Ben Braun made here at EMU in 1995/6. Based on salary trends in MBB, we'd have to pay him at least 3x as much today. My guess is that he'd cost us 500K+ today. Could we afford him?
(This post was last modified: 03-30-2017 09:25 AM by emu steve.)
03-30-2017 09:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Luckeyone Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: O/T: What a Big Dance MBB HC makes (e.g., A-10)
(03-30-2017 09:07 AM)emu steve Wrote:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries...ball/coach

There is a commercial on television where the woman planning for retirement says first she wants to run with the bulls.

For the purposes of MAC fandom, 'Big Dogs' are usually thought of as say conferences above the MAC but below the B1G, ACC, SEC, etc.

A-10 is the first which comes to mind. Those schools are the not the state flagship schools (VCU or George Mason shouldn't be confused with UVa or Virginia Tech; George Washington should not be confused with the behemoth in the state of Maryland, Univ. of Maryland or its rich neighbor, Georgetown.).

VCU - 1.4M

Dayton - 1.16M

I believe Murphy's total package (base salary, media money, car allowance, etc.) is around 250 - 300K.

Someone mentioned maybe we could try to get Groce to come to EMU. Well, the Dayton job is open and it pays around 1M.

As I posted on the main MAC board, the MAC has put a lot of $ in football at the expense of MBB and it is showing. MAC FB is pretty good these days (ask WMU and NIU who have played on New Year's Day 2013 and 2017). MAC MBB hasn't had two teams in the big dance this century (I believe that is right).

And re-consider Dayton: They paid Archie Miller over 1M to coach their MBB team, the Flyers, and he flew off to coach Indiana...

I wish I remember what Ben Braun made here at EMU in 1995/6. Based on salary trends in MBB, we'd have to pay him at least 3x as much today. My guess is that he'd cost us 500K+ today. Could we afford him?

Steve,

I agree the focus of this conference seemingly went from basketball to football and it's paying dividends for the latter sport.

The conference needs to fix our basketball image (IE not playing four NAIA OOC games).
03-30-2017 12:43 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: O/T: What a Big Dance MBB HC makes (e.g., A-10)
(03-30-2017 12:43 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
(03-30-2017 09:07 AM)emu steve Wrote:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries...ball/coach

VCU - 1.4M

Dayton - 1.16M

Steve,

I agree the focus of this conference seemingly went from basketball to football and it's paying dividends for the latter sport.

The conference needs to fix our basketball image (IE not playing four NAIA OOC games).

The only solution I see is if MBB (each school in the MAC) could get not pennies from heaven, but say 500 - 750K / year additional.

HC salaries would need to go up to 500K / year and plenty of money for assistant coaches and guarantee money for those November and December games.

MAC ADs are robbing Peter (MBB) to pay Paul (FB).
03-30-2017 12:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.