WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Some insight into the old staff (kinda long)
Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
Some insight into the old staff (kinda long)
I've been wanting to post this for a while, but never really did because of relationships with the old staff. Now that they are gone, it's pretty much fair game. I won't use names, but it's pretty easy to figure out. I still see on occasion one of the old staff.

Anyway, years ago, their first year I began to tweet potential recruits. I thought, other schools fans do it, why not us? Even though it felt weird doing it. I then began to get private messages from the then recruiting coordinator (used to get messages from all of them) and a couple of the staff thanking me and telling me to keep it up. A sort of relationship developed with a few of those guys, getting invites to practice and putting me on their list of people that could come watch. Which I thought was cool.

Before the 2nd season, I had a previous relationship with one of the new coaches from a bar I managed, and began to get insight on PJ, their recruiting, and just WMU football in general. He would let me know some things like PJ's drive to be successful was pretty much anything he hadn't seen. When he recruited against him the prior year, recruits would pretty much say, "yeah PJ already called". 12:00 on the nose. Really, after having conversations with this coach about how the program was going, it gave me the confidence in Fleck to get it turned around after a 1-11 season. This coach had seen successful programs.

The aggression on the recruiting trail is what stands out the most though.

I happened to be at the Roadhouse with several of the staff one time when a kid out of Phillips committed. This was a big time get, but instead of celebrating, PJ was pissed that most of his staff wasn't there when the kid committed, and the guys weren't too happy getting bitched at it for it. Basically demanding they come back.

Anyway, it was interesting to see the conversation among the position coaches that followed. First, one coach called it right away, this kid won't stick. Phillips kids word meant nothing according to him, because of the head coach there. That kid did eventually go somewhere else. And WMU is 0 for 3 or 4 on Phillips kids who have committed to us and stuck with it. But then they got into the recruiting class, and it was a little shocking to me to hear them talk about how they can't believe they took this guy, or this guy is going to be a player, this one won't etc...

I asked one of the guys that was there who landed a couple big time guys who were offered by a Big Ten school how he did it. Basically just said he outworked that school. They figured that their offer would just land them, which works a lot, but most guys want that constant contact. Not a mind numbing revelation there, but he was pretty cocky about it (there is competition among coaches on guys they land). Which is funny now considering one of those guys made it to campus and never played a down.

I also knew what guys they were targeting, which guys they thought they had and didn't. One guy, Khari Willis, who is now at MSU is a guy I think they had locked. It was amazing how much time these guys spent on the road, and frankly on their phones communicating with guys.

One time, a couple of the coaches who recruited the Detroit area told me they think they were going to get a big time guy and it was going to shock everyone. It was a RB, and at the time, I automatically thought of Mike Weber. I realize now, they could have been talking about Matt Falcon.

Of many of the conversations I had with these guys, a couple stood out. One, Chance Stewart had been here less than six months, and one of the coaches told me he would never play a down at QB for WMU. Of course he was right. The other, was the disappointment of not being able to keep James Gilbert, who is now the running back at Ball State, and seeing how good he turned out. Out of all the conversations we had about recruiting, that was the guy that stood out in them not being able to land that had verbally committed.

I don't mention these things to fawn over PJ and the old staff, or say that Lester can't do that job. I just have never really been able to let anyone really know some of the inside stuff until now. The one coach in particular that I had a friendship with never came out and said it, but I don't think he liked PJ much. Next time I see him, I am sure that I will get him to talk more freely.

I also found it interesting to find out that staffs do read message boards like these. And that was one reason that even though I knew several of the coaches and one of them rather well, I still didn't get a ton of information even though I never put that information out there. Because they worried it would be tied to them.
03-26-2017 07:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nacho Offline
Heisman

RE: Some insight into the old staff (kinda long)
Like we didn't know you were on the payroll?
03-26-2017 09:58 PM
All American

(03-26-2017 09:58 PM)Nacho Wrote:  Like we didn't know you were on the payroll?

haha. I would always appreciate money.
03-27-2017 07:04 AM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

Thanks for posting!
03-27-2017 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Flashboski Offline
1st String

Ummm Stampede you do realize you are publicly admitting that you committed NCAA violations right?

http://m.newsok.com/article/3916214
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2017 11:30 AM by Flashboski.)
03-27-2017 11:23 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I would think CFB coaches would have better uses of their time than to read message boards like BS.
03-27-2017 11:27 AM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

James Gilbert is a stud who got away from us. But out of all the positions, RB is one where we could probably afford to miss out on one. We're loaded.
03-27-2017 11:40 AM
Advertisement

Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(03-27-2017 11:23 AM)Flashboski Wrote:  Ummm Stampede you do realize you are publicly admitting that you committed NCAA violations right?

04-bolt
03-27-2017 12:04 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(03-27-2017 11:23 AM)Flashboski Wrote:  Ummm Stampede you do realize you are publicly admitting that you committed NCAA violations right?

Huh. And apparently the coaches supported this behavior, too.
03-27-2017 01:41 PM
All American

Had no idea this was an issue. See it all the time.
03-27-2017 05:42 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(03-27-2017 01:41 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  Huh. And apparently the coaches supported this behavior, too.

Hard to believe Fleck would do or tolerate anything unethical or illegal.
03-27-2017 06:00 PM
BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yeah, you really shouldn't be tweeting with recruits. We've had some issues in the past with Bronco supporters contacting recruits and it didn't turn out too well. I know that is not your intention, but better not to open yourself up for criticism.
03-27-2017 09:22 PM
GullLake Offline
Support Hong Kong protesters!

I Root For: Joe Manchin
(03-27-2017 09:22 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  Yeah, you really shouldn't be tweeting with recruits. We've had some issues in the past with Bronco supporters contacting recruits and it didn't turn out too well. I know that is not your intention, but better not to open yourself up for criticism.

Ha!

That "supporter's" buffoonery helped Brian Brunner decide to commit to CMU...and Brunner kicked our azzes from his BACK-UP position in 2008.

Combine that with the "supporter's" flat-out fabrications about Fleck's personal life (Fleck provided enough "WTF?" material without making stuff-up that gets you sued) and it hurts the credibility of his otherwise interesting Sports Rag site.

Don't tweet recruits - it is against NCAA rules

Don't lie about coaches, or anyone else for that matter.

Don't be an overzealous dork.
03-28-2017 02:45 PM
All American

(03-28-2017 02:45 PM)GullLake Wrote:  
(03-27-2017 09:22 PM)BroncoPhilly Wrote:  Yeah, you really shouldn't be tweeting with recruits. We've had some issues in the past with Bronco supporters contacting recruits and it didn't turn out too well. I know that is not your intention, but better not to open yourself up for criticism.

Ha!

That "supporter's" buffoonery helped Brian Brunner decide to commit to CMU...and Brunner kicked our azzes from his BACK-UP position in 2008.

Combine that with the "supporter's" flat-out fabrications about Fleck's personal life (Fleck provided enough "WTF?" material without making stuff-up that gets you sued) and it hurts the credibility of his otherwise interesting Sports Rag site.

Don't tweet recruits - it is against NCAA rules

Don't lie about coaches, or anyone else for that matter.

Don't be an overzealous dork.

I've learned my lesson. Had no idea it was against rules to tweet a kid. See tons of it.
03-28-2017 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.