Not surprising at all.
03-24-2017 03:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: JT III out at Georgetown...
C2 do you see Mark Few of Gonzaga taking this one?

03-yawn
03-24-2017 05:38 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Should have happened a LONG time ago.

We should hire Gregg Marshall. 07-coffee3
03-24-2017 07:10 AM
mturn017 Online
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-24-2017 07:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Should have happened a LONG time ago.

He's making 3.3 million at WSU while JT III makes 3.6 at Georgetown. I'd say 3.3 probably goes further in KS than 3.6 does in DC. It's not all about money but it's something.
03-24-2017 08:07 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I don't think Greg Marshall or Mark Few are realistic targets for Georgetown. I'm not sure that I would go with Tommy Amaker, but that's probably more in line with who Georgetown is going to end up with.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 08:34 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
03-24-2017 08:34 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(03-24-2017 08:34 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  I don't think Greg Marshall or Mark Few are realistic targets for Georgetown. I'm not sure that I would go with Tommy Amaker, but that's probably more in line with who Georgetown is going to end up with.

Poor Harvard.
03-24-2017 08:36 AM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I am both shocked and incredibly excited that Georgetown has decided to make this move. This was an incredible tough decision for the school. The Thompson name is entrenched within the athletic program, including a brand new athletic facility that bears the Thompson name and a statue of Thompson. JT2 is the patriarch of Georgetown basketball - and is quite possibly the most visible member of the basketball program even today. In the end, the university must have felt that this was the best (and only) decision to possibly make.

Georgetown has the facilities, program prestige, recruiting area and conference to be a top program consistently in the nation. This job will absolutely get big names associated with it. However, this job doesn't need a big name - it needs a winner.

Georgetown and Villanova need to be at the top of the Big East, year-in and year-out. If St. Johns makes a big leap next year, and all indications point to that being the case, the conference will be in even stronger shape moving forward.
03-24-2017 08:40 AM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
Hurley at Rhode Island, Smart at Texas, Miller at Dayton and even a Rice at Monmouth come to mind as guys who would be good choices.
03-24-2017 09:11 AM
TheBasketBallOpinion Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgetown
I rather have Ewing than Amaker for sure
03-24-2017 10:06 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Rice @ Monmouth, wonder what his price tag is?
I'm sad to see JT3 go, but I'm confident that the school gave him a very fair chance to succeed, and had valid reasons for firing him. I would imagine that the decision was still difficult to make though.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 10:11 AM by DawgNBama.)
03-24-2017 10:06 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I would be surprised if Ewing gets the job. Georgetown is a Jesuit school and I just don't think they hire a guy who testified about his strip bar encounters in mob related racketeering trial. Those things don't play well on campus. Shocked if they go after Marshall also. Besides the whole drunk crazy wife episode, he is not popular among ADs for whatever reason. From what I hear, the reason Marshall is still at WSU is not because he doesn't want a better job, its because he hasn't been offered a better job despite his numerous inquiries. Forget Shaka too. There is a reason that VCU wasn't considered for membership when the BE was formed and it had very little to do with it being a public school.

I think they want to make a splash hire. Chris Collins would be the type of candidate that would be a perfect fit. Would JT allow a guy like Collins to get he job?
03-24-2017 10:40 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(03-24-2017 10:40 AM)MU88 Wrote:  I would be surprised if Ewing gets the job. Georgetown is a Jesuit school and I just don't think they hire a guy who testified about his strip bar encounters in mob related racketeering trial. Those things don't play well on campus. Shocked if they go after Marshall also. Besides the whole drunk crazy wife episode, he is not popular among ADs for whatever reason. From what I hear, the reason Marshall is still at WSU is not because he doesn't want a better job, its because he hasn't been offered a better job despite his numerous inquiries. Forget Shaka too. There is a reason that VCU wasn't considered for membership when the BE was formed and it had very little to do with it being a public school.

I think they want to make a splash hire. Chris Collins would be the type of candidate that would be a perfect fit. Would JT allow a guy like Collins to get he job?

That's a load of crap about Shaka. He would be the PERFECT fit for Georgetown. His system there with VCU reminded me more of Georgetown Basketball than anything I've seen in 20 years.

Oh and VCU not getting in had everything to do with it being a public school. Not some folks hating on Havoc.
03-24-2017 10:50 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-24-2017 10:40 AM)MU88 Wrote:  I would be surprised if Ewing gets the job. Georgetown is a Jesuit school and I just don't think they hire a guy who testified about his strip bar encounters in mob related racketeering trial. Those things don't play well on campus. Shocked if they go after Marshall also. Besides the whole drunk crazy wife episode, he is not popular among ADs for whatever reason. From what I hear, the reason Marshall is still at WSU is not because he doesn't want a better job, its because he hasn't been offered a better job despite his numerous inquiries. Forget Shaka too. There is a reason that VCU wasn't considered for membership when the BE was formed and it had very little to do with it being a public school.

What would be the attraction for Collins to move to G-Town?

And at some point, Coach K will retire, opening up Duke. Collins has to be near the top of that list.
03-24-2017 10:59 AM
MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(03-24-2017 10:50 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

That's a load of crap about Shaka. He would be the PERFECT fit for Georgetown. His system there with VCU reminded me more of Georgetown Basketball than anything I've seen in 20 years.

Oh and VCU not getting in had everything to do with it being a public school. Not some folks hating on Havoc.

VCU wasn't considered because Georgetown thought VCU and Shaka were dirty. Go back and search the old posts, I mentioned it years ago. If you to question my info, fine. But, I had Creighton in the NBE 6 months before it was announced. My source on this really, really good.

Now, administrations change. Maybe the people at GT no longer have any animosity towards Shaka. Maybe their opinion hasn't changed, but their priorities have. Who knows? But, I will say this. If GT is interested in Shaka, it is Shaka's wife that will make the call. She nixed at least one other deal prior to Texas.
03-24-2017 11:01 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Tom crean needs a job. Leaving Texas would seem crazy for smart. Worst case, he gets fired someday with a huge payday and he than lands another job. My choice for gtown would be the southern cal coach
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 11:16 AM by bluesox.)
03-24-2017 11:12 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(03-24-2017 10:59 AM)dbackjon Wrote:  

What would be the attraction for Collins to move to G-Town?

And at some point, Coach K will retire, opening up Duke. Collins has to be near the top of that list.

Jeff Capel is being groomed to take over at Duke when Krzyz--err...Alphabet Soup retires.
03-24-2017 12:13 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-24-2017 08:07 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 07:10 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Should have happened a LONG time ago.

He's making 3.3 million at WSU while JT III makes 3.6 at Georgetown. I'd say 3.3 probably goes further in KS than 3.6 does in DC. It's not all about money but it's something.

Would you rather live in Washington DC, one of the best places in the country to live, or Wichita, Kansas? Plus his wife's antics would fit right in there, eh?

It's not everything, but it's something. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 12:21 PM by quo vadis.)
03-24-2017 12:20 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
I wouldn't love to live in Washington but I'd love to live in Northern Virginia or Southern Maryland. Also, Greg's gotta to be one of the biggest celebrities in Wichita. In Washington, he'd be a nobody, even if he won a national title or two.
03-24-2017 12:27 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Rumor has it that Marshall has thrown out $5 million as the starting point for negotiations. Most AD and others think that is a lot of money for a coach with 1 final four and 0 national championships. In 19 years he has made it past the opening weekend of the NCAAT twice (1 FF, 1 S16). 9 of those years were at Winthrop but still...

I don't know who is out there but Georgetown will be fine.
03-24-2017 12:44 PM
Pervis_Griffith Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisville
Paging Johnny Dawkins ...
03-24-2017 01:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.