03-23-2017 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
RE: Scott Pera is Rice Basketball HC
Current associate head coach. His hiring should ensure we keep the nucleus of the team together. He also was the high school and college coach for James Harden and they have a very good relationship. Good hire for Rice and we're thrilled it was done this quickly. He's never been a college head coach before so we may not know until next year how it works out but there is a chance we won't drop off at all from last year and possibly improve. We'll still likely lose a few players just because this is college basketball and 2017 but it may not be much. We'll see.
03-23-2017 03:18 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
(03-23-2017 03:18 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Current associate head coach. His hiring should ensure we keep the nucleus of the team together. He also was the high school and college coach for James Harden and they have a very good relationship. Good hire for Rice and we're thrilled it was done this quickly. He's never been a college head coach before so we may not know until next year how it works out but there is a chance we won't drop off at all from last year and possibly improve. We'll still likely lose a few players just because this is college basketball and 2017 but it may not be much. We'll see.

About hiring an associate head coach to keep the nucleus together....
03-23-2017 03:46 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Ehsan was maybe 33 or 34 when UAB hired him? Pera is a bit older - probably 48 or 49. Ehsan also never had been a head coach before whereas Pera has been a high school head coach for 11 seasons in the past (including 2006 when he coached James Harden and Artesia to the 2006 California state title and a #2 national ranking). Pera went to ASU after Artesia's 1st state title. They won another with Harden his senior year, and then Harden followed Pera to ASU for two years.

Again it may not matter much but he's not quite as young as Ehsan so I think it's a little different.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 04:03 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
03-23-2017 04:02 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Pera was also named the #1 assistant coach in the Ivy league twice while at Penn. In addition to winning a HS state title in California, his team also won a state title in Pennsylvania. He and Rhoades are old friends. I think Rice fans are generally very happy with the hire. Seeing the team's jubilant reaction to the news was encouraging for hopefully not suffering too many (or any) defections.
03-23-2017 04:16 PM
Blue Raider Dave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Middle Tenn
Loved seeing the joy on the players' faces when he was announced as coach. That was special.
03-23-2017 04:23 PM
Advertisement

MoodyBlueRaider Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
Sounds like your new HC may be a really good pick. Good Luck, Rice. Sorry you lost the other guy; but admittedly VCU is not perceived to be a lateral move. So, in some respects losing your old HC to VCU may be a compliment to the direction of your MBB Program.
03-23-2017 05:01 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(03-23-2017 05:01 PM)MoodyBlueRaider Wrote:  Sounds like your new HC may be a really good pick. Good Luck, Rice. Sorry you lost the other guy; but admittedly VCU is not perceived to be a lateral move. So, in some respects losing your old HC to VCU may be a compliment to the direction of your MBB Program.

Yeah, they've got better facilities, better fan base and can pay more money but is it really worth selling your soul for?

Best of luck to Rice. I don't know anything about this guy except what I read here. Seems like the current players were happy about it. Hopefully he can keep bringing talent as well.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 05:35 PM by mturn017.)
03-23-2017 05:33 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(03-23-2017 05:33 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  but is it really worth selling your soul for?

Rhodes is basically just going home. He was the assistant HC at Randolph Macon (DIII Ashland VA) from 96-99 and the HC from 99-09, before taking an asst. job at VCU.
03-23-2017 06:36 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

(03-23-2017 06:36 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 05:33 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  but is it really worth selling your soul for?

Rhodes is basically just going home. He was the assistant HC at Randolph Macon (DIII Ashland VA) from 96-99 and the HC from 99-09, before taking an asst. job at VCU.
Exactly. Living in Richmond, as far as I know Rhodes wanted the vcu job when Shaka left in the first place but it wasn't in the cards I guess at that time. I listened to his press conference. He genuinely sounded happy to be home. Would've left most schools I think to come back. I loathe vcu but it's good for the city.

Sent from my SM-G928P using CSNbbs mobile app
03-24-2017 06:58 AM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Why the hate for VCU from some tobacco road types? I'd get it if they were in a Big 5 school - that would be like Rice or UH folks hating on Texas and Texas A&M. But they've never been in that type of scenario. Do they have a reputation for bringing in bad seeds in basketball? I guess that would be another reason to dislike them - maybe similar to what UNLV used to do in the 1970's and 1980's?
03-24-2017 07:05 AM
Advertisement

ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators
(03-23-2017 04:16 PM)mrbig Wrote:  Pera was also named the #1 assistant coach in the Ivy league twice while at Penn. In addition to winning a HS state title in California, his team also won a state title in Pennsylvania. He and Rhoades are old friends. I think Rice fans are generally very happy with the hire. Seeing the team's jubilant reaction to the news was encouraging for hopefully not suffering too many (or any) defections.

Sounds like a win-win hire. Good programs groom the replacement from within?

James Harden is on the Texas Monthly cover. Scott Pera is prominently mentioned as life mentor. I hope Rice can leverage this to a synergy with James Harden and the Rockets to further elevate our local profile.
03-24-2017 07:07 AM
born in the burg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Southern Miss
Everyone should click the link and watch that video. The players' reactions to the hire (and the coach's reaction to them) was fantastic. Their apparent relationship makes me want to see Rice be successful.
03-24-2017 07:27 AM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2017 07:05 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Why the hate for VCU from some tobacco road types? I'd get it if they were in a Big 5 school - that would be like Rice or UH folks hating on Texas and Texas A&M. But they've never been in that type of scenario. Do they have a reputation for bringing in bad seeds in basketball? I guess that would be another reason to dislike them - maybe similar to what UNLV used to do in the 1970's and 1980's?
As an odu fan I'll hate them until hell freezes over and warms up again.

Sent from my SM-G928P using CSNbbs mobile app
03-24-2017 07:58 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-24-2017 07:05 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Why the hate for VCU from some tobacco road types? I'd get it if they were in a Big 5 school - that would be like Rice or UH folks hating on Texas and Texas A&M. But they've never been in that type of scenario. Do they have a reputation for bringing in bad seeds in basketball? I guess that would be another reason to dislike them - maybe similar to what UNLV used to do in the 1970's and 1980's?

The fans are dumb and obnoxious. They had 1 lucky run when they shouldn't have even been in the tourney and all of a sudden they are in the A-10.

Yeah, I'm jealous and bitter but their fans still suck.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 08:34 AM by Gilesfan.)
03-24-2017 08:18 AM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

When you're an ODU fan you hate VCU. It's what you do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Domini...ll_rivalry

(I imagine Cyniclone is so filled with self loathing he goes home and flogs himself every night)
03-24-2017 08:27 AM
Advertisement

blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
(03-24-2017 08:27 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  When you're an ODU fan you hate VCU. It's what you do.

Ditto for UAB fans who can remember the Sun Belt days...
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 09:38 AM by blazerjay.)
03-24-2017 09:37 AM
VCUfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
Embrace the hate!

Some good (and by that I mean filled with seething hatred) times for us with UAB and ODU fans both. Makes our games that much more meaningful. It's been a privilege to call both our rivals at different points in our history.

Definitely wishing Rice the best. We've been on the wrong end of the coaching carousel more often than most. You definitely have our sympathies and best wishes going forward. Looks like you have a good one to take the reins.
03-24-2017 10:25 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-24-2017 08:27 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

(I imagine Cyniclone is so filled with self loathing he goes home and flogs himself every night)

Every morning before I get out of bed ... but now I realize that may not be what you meant ... and that I should probably back out of this before I hit post rep
03-24-2017 12:28 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

(03-24-2017 12:28 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(03-24-2017 08:27 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  

Every morning before I get out of bed ... but now I realize that may not be what you meant ... and that I should probably back out of this before I hit post rep

Lol, careful flogging yourself too much will make you go blind
03-24-2017 12:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.