One of Don Haskins' biggest upset wins:

03-22-2017 11:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleholic Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Twenty-five years ago.............
For some reason, I remember UTEP, led by Tim Hardaway, beating LSU and Chris Jackson in the NCAA tourney many moons ago.
03-23-2017 08:22 AM
KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
Did Haskins ever get looks from other schools ?

UTEP was fortunate to hold onto such a legend.
03-23-2017 08:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(03-23-2017 08:52 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Did Haskins ever get looks from other schools ?

I think El Paso was just his kind of place. Pickup truck and car wash diner guy who would stop and help strangers on the highway.

He was hired by Detroit Univ in 1969, then he changed his mind right away and came back to UTEP.

Detroit hires Haskins
03-23-2017 09:23 AM
Advertisement

KAjunRaider Offline
Heisman

I Root For: U.M.T.
(03-23-2017 09:23 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 08:52 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Did Haskins ever get looks from other schools ?

I think El Paso was just his kind of place. Pickup truck and car wash diner guy who would stop and help strangers on the highway.

He was hired by Detroit Univ in 1969, then he changed his mind right away and came back to UTEP.

Detroit hires Haskins

Don't blame him. Plus, it was a different time back then -- I bet very few coaches were one-and-done, etc.

Dick Vitale was at Detroit when they beat us in our first ever NCAA Tourney in the 1970's.
03-23-2017 10:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(03-22-2017 11:47 PM)Proud El Pasoan Wrote:  One of Don Haskins' biggest upset wins:

I remember that game like it was yesterday.

I cannot believe it's been that long since we won a game in the NCAA.

It's really, really sad.
03-23-2017 01:11 PM
Tintin Offline
1st String

I Root For: Charlotte
Charlotte danced that year by winning the Metro tourney.
If I recall we got jobbed by the refs in a two point loss to Iowa State.
03-23-2017 02:05 PM
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
Twenty-five years ago.............
I was a young man....04-cheers
03-23-2017 08:31 PM
STexMiner Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-23-2017 10:38 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  

Detroit hires Haskins

Don't blame him. Plus, it was a different time back then -- I bet very few coaches were one-and-done, etc.

Dick Vitale was at Detroit when they beat us in our first ever NCAA Tourney in the 1970's.

Oklahoma St. (his alma mater) flirted with him a few times. He had a chance to go to the Dallas Chaparrals of the ABA in the early 70s. He all but accepted an offer to Lamar in the late 80s because he was tried of his assistants getting paid dirt. Besides that.....
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 09:05 PM by STexMiner.)
03-23-2017 09:01 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Forgive my ignorance, but I really didn't realize how long Don Haskins coached at UTEP. That is just insane. Nearly 40 years
03-23-2017 09:18 PM
Advertisement

WWDog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech
(03-23-2017 08:31 PM)eaglebeaver Wrote:  I was a young man....04-cheers

I wasn't quite as old....04-cheers
03-23-2017 10:40 PM
WWDog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: La Tech

Detroit hires Haskins

Nothing wrong with that! Many men used to live their lives with that kind of morals. We need more of that now.
03-23-2017 10:42 PM
stanman505 Offline
All American

I Root For: UTEP
I was at the game. It was one of the best father son trips that I took with my Dad. I was 28 then and working on my teaching certification at UTEP. We were both just hoping that UTEP could keep it close and when it started to look like UTEP would win the game the arena was going crazy. After the game my father and I were stunned. I remember not wanting to leave the arena and just soak it all in. Then security told me I had to leave. As part of the deal for the trip my father made a bet with me that if UTEP won in the first round that I had to play tennis with him. I didn't realize how cold it could be in Dayton in March but I went out and played with my Dad in 40 degree weather with only shorts on. After UTEP beat Kansas we went back to the hotel and began calling the athletic department to get tickets to the sweet sixteen round game against Cincinnati in Kansas City. Great memories. Thanks for posting.
03-24-2017 07:59 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(03-24-2017 07:59 AM)stanman505 Wrote:  I was at the game. It was one of the best father son trips that I took with my Dad. I was 28 then and working on my teaching certification at UTEP. We were both just hoping that UTEP could keep it close and when it started to look like UTEP would win the game the arena was going crazy. After the game my father and I were stunned. I remember not wanting to leave the arena and just soak it all in. Then security told me I had to leave. As part of the deal for the trip my father made a bet with me that if UTEP won in the first round that I had to play tennis with him. I didn't realize how cold it could be in Dayton in March but I went out and played with my Dad in 40 degree weather with only shorts on. After UTEP beat Kansas we went back to the hotel and began calling the athletic department to get tickets to the sweet sixteen round game against Cincinnati in Kansas City. Great memories. Thanks for posting.

Great story. That Cincy game was a good one too, just not the happy ending.
03-24-2017 10:54 AM
Proud El Pasoan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UTEP Miners
(03-24-2017 07:59 AM)stanman505 Wrote:  I was at the game. It was one of the best father son trips that I took with my Dad. I was 28 then and working on my teaching certification at UTEP. We were both just hoping that UTEP could keep it close and when it started to look like UTEP would win the game the arena was going crazy. After the game my father and I were stunned. I remember not wanting to leave the arena and just soak it all in. Then security told me I had to leave. As part of the deal for the trip my father made a bet with me that if UTEP won in the first round that I had to play tennis with him. I didn't realize how cold it could be in Dayton in March but I went out and played with my Dad in 40 degree weather with only shorts on. After UTEP beat Kansas we went back to the hotel and began calling the athletic department to get tickets to the sweet sixteen round game against Cincinnati in Kansas City. Great memories. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome.
03-24-2017 04:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.