Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

North Texas Raising Football Coaches' Salaries
Bookmark and Share
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
North Texas Raising Football Coaches' Salaries
UNT football assistants receiving significant raises for 2017 season

North Texas enjoyed a turnaround season in Seth Littrell's first campaign as the Mean Green's head coach.

Several assistants who played a role along the way have received a significant financial reward, according to information obtained by the Denton Record-Chronicle.

UNT previously announced that it will sign Littrell to a new five-year contract. A university spokesperson said Tuesday that the school is still finalizing that deal.

http://beta.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-gre...017-season
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 09:31 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-21-2017 09:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: North Texas Raising Football Coaches' Salaries
Between the improvement of pUNT and UTSA, there may be a changing of the guard in the West during the next season or two.
03-22-2017 01:32 AM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LA Tech
(03-22-2017 01:32 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Between the improvement of pUNT and UTSA, there may be a changing of the guard in the West during the next season or two.

Naaahhhhhh.
03-22-2017 09:21 PM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-22-2017 09:21 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 01:32 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  Between the improvement of pUNT and UTSA, there may be a changing of the guard in the West during the next season or two.

Naaahhhhhh.

his point is valid.....tx $$$ > ms/la $
03-22-2017 09:28 PM
Advertisement

HogDawg Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2017 09:28 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Naaahhhhhh.

I live in Texas. So with all due respect, I don't need you to tell me about Texas $$. I'm surrounded by it. 04-cheers

UNT has always had a money advantage over LA/MS schools, and it has never made a difference in athletics. UNT already has the best stadium in CUSA, built for a mere $60M a few years ago. Did that make a real difference? No.

And UNT already pays their head coach (Seth Littrell) 300K a year more than we pay Skip Holtz. Did that make a difference? No.

So I highly doubt anybody in Denton is saying "oh yeah, paying our asst. coaches a few more bucks will be the real difference maker now." 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 09:43 PM by HogDawg.)
03-22-2017 09:39 PM
NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
Now while I don't agree will all ya said, I will correct the stadium cost...it was 78 million
03-22-2017 09:42 PM
HogDawg Offline
Heisman

(03-22-2017 09:42 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  Now while I don't agree will all ya said, I will correct the stadium cost...it was 78 million

My apologies. All I know is, it's more than LA Tech could ever raise for a project like that. 03-banghead
03-22-2017 09:45 PM
Advertisement

Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2017 09:39 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 09:28 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Naaahhhhhh.

I live in Texas. So with all due respect, I don't need you to tell me about Texas $$. I'm surrounded by it. 04-cheers

UNT has always had a money advantage over LA/MS schools, and it has never made a difference in athletics. UNT already has the best stadium in CUSA, built for a mere $60M a few years ago. Did that make a real difference? No.

And UNT already pays their head coach (Seth Littrell) 300K a year more than we pay Skip Holtz. Did that make a difference? No.

So I highly doubt anybody in Denton is saying "oh yeah, paying our asst. coaches a few more bucks will be the real difference maker now." 07-coffee3

It isn't so much about the raises getting us over the hump and making us competitive. It is about a new philosophy with regard to athletics at North Texas. Yes North Texas has had financial and facility advantages, but we didn't have quality leadership. RV ran the department for 15 years. Wren Baker is not running our athletics like RV did. In fact, his title isn't really that of an AD. Showing the university's new commitment to athletics, Baker is a vice-president within the university system.

I'm not saying there will be a changing of the guard, but I'm certain our new leadership is working to make it happen. We will all find out over the next few seasons. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 09:59 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-22-2017 09:58 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-22-2017 09:45 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 09:42 PM)NTTHOR Wrote:  Now while I don't agree will all ya said, I will correct the stadium cost...it was 78 million

My apologies. All I know is, it's more than LA Tech could ever raise for a project like that. 03-banghead

Baker has a new Mean Green indoor practice facility in the works too. Members of the administration recently went on a trip to view other indoor facilities.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C5CPYnbWQAAyre-.jpg
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2017 05:18 PM by Side Show Joe.)
03-22-2017 10:14 PM
techdawg28 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
I don't know about a "changing of the guard," but I do think that UTSA and UNT could join the existing "guard" over the next few seasons. Could make the race for the west crown more interesting, which is good for everyone. Hopefully the east can head down the same path.
03-22-2017 10:30 PM
Advertisement

shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
Wasn't necessarily talking about money, it just appears that both programs made good hires last year. Granted the sample size is small.
03-23-2017 03:50 AM
Fish Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
(03-22-2017 10:30 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  I don't know about a "changing of the guard," but I do think that UTSA and UNT could join the existing "guard" over the next few seasons. Could make the race for the west crown more interesting, which is good for everyone. Hopefully the east can head down the same path.

I think the east has already started down this path, at least in regard to coaching salaries. Both FIU and FAU significantly (basically doubled) the $$$ they are spending on a head coach and assistants also received a large increase. Of course, just because you pay your coach a lot of money doesn't mean you will be good, but it's hard to be consistently good with an underpaid staff. Also, both UTSA and FAU have had good recruiting classes lately, so it may only be a matter of time for at least one them to be competing for a championship.
03-23-2017 05:39 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-23-2017 05:39 AM)Fish Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 10:30 PM)techdawg28 Wrote:  I don't know about a "changing of the guard," but I do think that UTSA and UNT could join the existing "guard" over the next few seasons. Could make the race for the west crown more interesting, which is good for everyone. Hopefully the east can head down the same path.

I think the east has already started down this path, at least in regard to coaching salaries. Both FIU and FAU significantly (basically doubled) the $$$ they are spending on a head coach and assistants also received a large increase. Of course, just because you pay your coach a lot of money doesn't mean you will be good, but it's hard to be consistently good with an underpaid staff. Also, both UTSA and FAU have had good recruiting classes lately, so it may only be a matter of time for at least one them to be competing for a championship.

XACLY! the age ol' adage that "southern miss does more with less" was a tough path to travel both then and now...

it's tough to argue that money doesn't drive the bus....there's a reason that professional sports (sans mlb) adopted salary capping over the years to help improve geographical competition (yeah, one could argue ownership protection too)
03-23-2017 05:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.