Wichita State, the AAC, and Power 5s in the Tournament
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
From SI today...

So it looks more and more like Wichita State will move to the AAC

It's easy to see why a conference like the AAC would be interested. WSU is a great basketball product and frankly, the AAC needs the revenue.

There's a side issue here that I find fascinating as well. Apparently, the committee is ever more interested in giving at-large slots to Power league schools. When it comes to basketball, the Big East and A10 are basically Power leagues so their at-large entrants don't really count even though they're not Power 5.

Now personally, I don't really mind the extra spots going to Power schools. One reason is the Power schools are generating most of the money and interest. A second reason is that the NCAA has done this to itself by allowing far too many leagues to get automatic bids. The 15/16 seeds are generally schools that simply don't belong as they come from leagues that are used by Power schools to provide early season money games. With that said, I understand why certain leagues and schools are feeling snubbed.

It would seem inevitably, we are moving towards some sort of separation from the NCAA or the creation of a new division. We've theorized before what the tournament might look like in that scenario. But I wanted to ask what everyone thinks might be a solution for the problem of some deserving mid-majors being consistently left out?

Expand the tournament again? Reorganize the way auto-bids are handed out? Something more creative?
03-17-2017 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
RE: Wichita State, the AAC, and Power 5s in the Tournament
I'm fine with the autobids for mid majors. Automatic bids for the power basketball conferences seems silly as very few crab teams catch fire and win their conference championship on a sudden hot streak

Witchita State and the AAC could be a perfect match for realignment in BB given Navy is a football only member

Still the point of the article is schools feel they mmove up to avoid being left out even in a postseason that has 68 entries.
03-17-2017 10:57 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(03-17-2017 10:40 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  It would seem inevitably, we are moving towards some sort of separation from the NCAA or the creation of a new division. We've theorized before what the tournament might look like in that scenario. But I wanted to ask what everyone thinks might be a solution for the problem of some deserving mid-majors being consistently left out?

Expand the tournament again? Reorganize the way auto-bids are handed out? Something more creative?

The problem is the very good mid majors have trouble scheduling any power basketball programs as the power programs tend to gain very little from beating those good teams while they think they'll drop in the RPI and the polls with a loss.

The NCAA could force a late season challenge between the mid majors and power schools. The actual opponents would be decided during the season by the NCAA, conferences and tv partners.
03-17-2017 11:06 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
I would limit D1 basketball to 200 teams max. They're just to many D1 teams playing at the top level. Take away the auto bids & see how many remain.
03-17-2017 12:38 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2017 10:57 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  Still the point of the article is schools feel they mmove up to avoid being left out even in a postseason that has 68 entries.

That may make the separation that much more stark. When all the best programs are confined to a few leagues then it might get interesting as far as creating a new division goes.
03-17-2017 02:00 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
I'd be against the tournament growing any larger than the 68 teams that it is already at. In reality I typically think there are very few "mid major" type teams that deserve bids that get snubbed.

In instances where it does happen I actually think you could avoid the snubs 98% of the time by awarding the conference auto bids to the regular season champs instead of the conference tournament champs. In that scenario Illinois State would have made it this year and Wichita State likely still would have received an at-large.

Like you mentioned leagues like the Big East and A-10 don't really have an issue getting at-large bids. Most years the American, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, and West Coast are also multiple bid leagues.
03-17-2017 04:30 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
I will add though that while I don't necessarily think there are that many non-power snubs in selection I do think the seeding tends to be off. MTSU was favored in Vegas over 5 seeded Minnesota for example.

I also don't have hard data to back it up but it seems like we see more of the Dayton vs. Wichita State and VCU vs. St Mary's first round match ups then we used to see in the past...almost like the committee is lining it up to get these teams to knock each other out instead of putting them against teams from the SEC, Big 10, Big12 etc....
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 04:36 PM by tcufrog86.)
03-17-2017 04:35 PM
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
When ever there is a committee involved in sports, then it sux...
TV controls the committee, am I wrong?
03-18-2017 09:38 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(03-18-2017 09:38 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  When ever there is a committee involved in sports, then it sux...
TV controls the committee, am I wrong?

You're probably right about that.

I would rather it be based on where you finished in your conference.
03-18-2017 02:43 PM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Speaking of the tournament, the SEC is doing pretty well so far. I'm awestruck at what Florida did to Virginia last night.
03-19-2017 09:18 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(03-19-2017 09:18 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  Speaking of the tournament, the SEC is doing pretty well so far. I'm awestruck at what Florida did to Virginia last night.

Florida really hasn't missed a beat under Mike White. I'm surprised by that. I figured they would have a little drop off after Donovan left.
03-19-2017 11:04 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-17-2017 04:35 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  I will add though that while I don't necessarily think there are that many non-power snubs in selection I do think the seeding tends to be off. MTSU was favored in Vegas over 5 seeded Minnesota for example.

I also don't have hard data to back it up but it seems like we see more of the Dayton vs. Wichita State and VCU vs. St Mary's first round match ups then we used to see in the past...almost like the committee is lining it up to get these teams to knock each other out instead of putting them against teams from the SEC, Big 10, Big12 etc....

Or, is it to ensure that one of them moves on to the next round?
03-22-2017 03:07 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-17-2017 04:30 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  I'd be against the tournament growing any larger than the 68 teams that it is already at. In reality I typically think there are very few "mid major" type teams that deserve bids that get snubbed.

In instances where it does happen I actually think you could avoid the snubs 98% of the time by awarding the conference auto bids to the regular season champs instead of the conference tournament champs. In that scenario Illinois State would have made it this year and Wichita State likely still would have received an at-large.

Like you mentioned leagues like the Big East and A-10 don't really have an issue getting at-large bids. Most years the American, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, and West Coast are also multiple bid leagues.

I agree re: the autobid for regular season champs.

Provide the automatic NIT bid to the conference tourney winner, who sometimes is a sub. 500 team that would be happy to make *any* post-season tournament. You could also use the conference tournament results to break a tie in the event of regular season co-champs.

EDIT - and conference tournament performance would absolutely still factor into at large bid selection and seeding.
(This post was last modified: 03-22-2017 03:10 PM by YNot.)
03-22-2017 03:10 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(03-17-2017 12:38 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I would limit D1 basketball to 200 teams max. They're just to many D1 teams playing at the top level. Take away the auto bids & see how many remain.

More like 130 - 140 I think.
03-22-2017 03:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.