Underhanded Free Throw?
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
Underhanded Free Throw?
I have never seen that before!

It's a freakin granny shot.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 02:45 PM by GrayBeard.)
03-16-2017 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Underhanded Free Throw?
(03-16-2017 02:45 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I have never seen that before!

I grew up with hoops in the 1970s, and Rick Barry, the best FT shooter ever, shot them that way.

Doesn't look manly, but it worked.
03-16-2017 02:47 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
(03-16-2017 02:47 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-16-2017 02:45 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  I have never seen that before!

I grew up with hoops in the 1970s, and Rick Barry, the best FT shooter ever, shot them that way.

Doesn't look manly, but it worked.

I think this kid's last name is Barry....Bet there is some relation.
03-16-2017 02:50 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

Crappies
Looked him up, he is Rick Barry's youngest son.
03-16-2017 02:53 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(03-16-2017 02:53 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Looked him up, he is Rick Barry's youngest son.

How many kids does that guy have? I remember Jon, Drew and Bret or Brent IIRC playing at Georgia Tech or somewhere long ago.
03-16-2017 02:57 PM
IAH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
You got have balls to pull that off. And as long as you make them I wouldn't care what people say
03-16-2017 03:45 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(03-16-2017 02:57 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(03-16-2017 02:53 PM)GrayBeard Wrote:  Looked him up, he is Rick Barry's youngest son.

How many kids does that guy have? I remember Jon, Drew and Bret or Brent IIRC playing at Georgia Tech or somewhere long ago.

4 sons and a daughter with his first wife and Canyon with his second wife according to Wikipedia.

His oldest son, Scooter, played on the 1988 Kansas championship team and played professionally as well apparently, although he never made it to the NBA. So all 5 of his sons played division I college basketball and at least 3 so far have played in the NBA. LaVar Ball wouldn't be impressed, of course, but I am.
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 04:09 PM by robertfoshizzle.)
03-16-2017 04:08 PM
Advertisement

PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-16-2017 03:45 PM)IAH Wrote:  You got have balls to pull that off. And as long as you make them I wouldn't care what people say

Wilt Chamberlain tried shooting them underhanded too. It was a big deal back then.
03-16-2017 04:15 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Funny this thread came up as this commercial started running a week ago. That's Rick Barry

Here he is shooting the "granny style" FT in the NBA.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017 04:25 PM by CliftonAve.)
03-16-2017 04:23 PM
chess Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska
Shaquille O'Neal tried underhanded free throws. He had challenges from the free throw line.
03-16-2017 04:23 PM
Advertisement

dawgitall Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU/ASU/NCSU
Underhanded Free Throw?
I taught at a very very small middle school back in the 80s. If you went out for the team you were on the team. We had 7 or 8 girls on the team including Veronica, a very poor, smart and nice girl that was also very over weight. The whole team was very bad at free throws, not a shocker in middle school, and game scores were often in the teens or less. So a handful of made or missed free throws usually decided the games. We got the girls to try the Granny shot in practice and they started making more but wouldn't shot them in games. Veronica started the next game and she was catching hell from the other team and fans because of her weight. She went to the free throw line and started to line up an underhanded attempt. The crowd started laughing. The thing about Veronica was that she was supremely self assured. She believed in herself and nobody was going intimidate or humiliate her. She went ahead and sank two free throws. The crowd and the other team shut the hell up and Veronica ran down court to play defense with her head held high. After that several more girls also started shooting underhanded and we won a couple of games wouldn't have otherwise won. Years later I found out Veronica won an academic scholarship to North Carolina A & T, graduated with honors and the last I heard was very successful in career. She was one of my favorite all time students.
03-16-2017 10:14 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(03-16-2017 04:23 PM)chess Wrote:  Shaquille O'Neal tried underhanded free throws. He had challenges from the free throw line.

Hence "Hack a Shaq". Wilt the Stilt also had challenges at the line and also tried underhand as someone already pointed out.
03-16-2017 11:02 PM
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(03-16-2017 10:14 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  I taught at a very very small middle school back in the 80s. If you went out for the team you were on the team. We had 7 or 8 girls on the team including Veronica, a very poor, smart and nice girl that was also very over weight. The whole team was very bad at free throws, not a shocker in middle school, and game scores were often in the teens or less. So a handful of made or missed free throws usually decided the games. We got the girls to try the Granny shot in practice and they started making more but wouldn't shot them in games. Veronica started the next game and she was catching hell from the other team and fans because of her weight. She went to the free throw line and started to line up an underhanded attempt. The crowd started laughing. The thing about Veronica was that she was supremely self assured. She believed in herself and nobody was going intimidate or humiliate her. She went ahead and sank two free throws. The crowd and the other team shut the hell up and Veronica ran down court to play defense with her head held high. After that several more girls also started shooting underhanded and we won a couple of games wouldn't have otherwise won. Years later I found out Veronica won an academic scholarship to North Carolina A & T, graduated with honors and the last I heard was very successful in career. She was one of my favorite all time students.

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.
03-16-2017 11:14 PM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(03-16-2017 10:14 PM)dawgitall Wrote:  I taught at a very very small middle school back in the 80s. If you went out for the team you were on the team. We had 7 or 8 girls on the team including Veronica, a very poor, smart and nice girl that was also very over weight. The whole team was very bad at free throws, not a shocker in middle school, and game scores were often in the teens or less. So a handful of made or missed free throws usually decided the games. We got the girls to try the Granny shot in practice and they started making more but wouldn't shot them in games. Veronica started the next game and she was catching hell from the other team and fans because of her weight. She went to the free throw line and started to line up an underhanded attempt. The crowd started laughing. The thing about Veronica was that she was supremely self assured. She believed in herself and nobody was going intimidate or humiliate her. She went ahead and sank two free throws. The crowd and the other team shut the hell up and Veronica ran down court to play defense with her head held high. After that several more girls also started shooting underhanded and we won a couple of games wouldn't have otherwise won. Years later I found out Veronica won an academic scholarship to North Carolina A & T, graduated with honors and the last I heard was very successful in career. She was one of my favorite all time students.

Great story!
03-16-2017 11:58 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

(03-16-2017 03:45 PM)IAH Wrote:  You got have balls to pull that off. And as long as you make them I wouldn't care what people say

Makes you wonder why more guys don't shoot this way. Gotta be a psychological thing.

I read something a while back talking about penalty kicks in soccer. It said that the goalie/keeper is trained to pretty much make a decision between jumping left or right, because you can't really react quickly enough. It went on to say that, statistically, you have the best chance of scoring on a PK if you kick the ball dead center. Hardly anyone does it, however, because you don't want to be the jack-ars that kicked the ball right into the keeper's hands (despite the fact that he's very unlikely to still be there when you do it).
03-17-2017 07:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.